Beginner question

Time2Shine

Hi, I will be 39 years old in a couple of weeks. I have owned several of Cathe workout DVD's and enjoy them very much eventhough I can't completely finish them.

What I would like to know is where should one start with your workouts to get in the groove of things? I am serious about losing weight and getting fit.

Please help! This has probably been asked before, but I could not find it and I am new to your site.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:
I'm not Cathe

But, if you look in the Rotations there is a sticky at the top for beginners. It really starts at the beginning with Basic step. I'm in the last week of that rotation. Although if you already have some of her DVDs you might check out another beginners rotation from (I believe) fitnessfreak which goes from beginner to intermediate. (I may do this one next.)

Its called "Basic/Intermediate/Advanced 12 week rotation."
here is the link:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236312

Also, you might want to post with us Catheletic Supporters (we are down under the Diet and Nutrition) we are semi-beginners and a relatively new check-in. You are welcome to join us:)

Also not Cathe. :) I've just started back to working out in the past few months. I did not buy any of the beginner DVD's because we're saving money and I tend to like the more complex choreography. I also like having DVD's that I can 'grow' with so that I can use them for a long time.

I actually had really good luck starting with my IMAX workouts (I have IMAX 2 & 3 and LowMax) and modifying quite a bit. I did the premixes so that I was doing only the first or second half of the workout, and I modified during the blasts so that it wasn't too taxing. You could even use the blast periods to rest at first. Anyways, I thought the IMAX workouts were good to start with because the short step segments made it easy for me to get back into the swing of things.

I also did shorter Premixes for many other workouts: Cardio & Weights, KickMax, Pyramids etc, etc. Just dont' be afraid to modify the workout to suit you - don't jump on the high impact parts at first, use really light weights and work your way up, skip a few reps of exercises if it's too much, etc, etc. I particularly like LowMax and KickMax because it's easy to get rid of most of the high impact aspects of those workouts, so they were easier on my knees.

I also started out by working out every other day so that I had plenty of rest days in between everything, and I think that helped a lot. Even taking it easy, it's a big shock to go from not working out at all to working out six days a week.

P.S. Also, although I've gotten a really good start at working out and have become much more fit in the past few weeks, I haven't lost any weight yet because I haven't altered my diet. Just wanted to remind you (and myself) that diet's a really, really important part of the weight loss equation.

Thank you ladies for answering me. I wasn't sure where to start or what to do. I have the workouts listed in the beginners rotation except for one and I might be able to pick that one up at Dunhams.

I agree that diet has to be an important part and I am rededicating myself to me! I am the prize and I really need to kick this in gear and get fit.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.