Barbells vs Dumbbells

Hi there! :) Glad to have finally joined the forums --I've been doing your DVDs since I was in high school.

I am curious --what exactly is the benefit of a barbell when compared to a set of dumbbells?

I still have the barbell I bought back in high school, and I went cheap... Well, you get what you pay for. I cant stand it! The barbell I bought has spots in the center that jut out, where I guess you are supposed to put your hands, but they are too wide apart for me and hurt my elbows, and when I put the bar on my back, the jutted sections dig into my back. :(

I'm just curious --is it really worth it to buy a barbell if you work out regularly, or are dumbbells fine as well? What are the benefits of using a bar or using dumbbells?

Thanks! :)

(I'm sure this is a simple question, so anyone who knows the answer, please feel free to respond! :) )

Hi Forever-Exigent!

It sounds to me like the barbell you have is an EZ curl bar which is not a good overall barbell because of the limitations which you have already noticed. EZ curl bars are good for those who need or prefer a different wrist position to make certain exercises either more comfortable or provide the ability to hit the muscle form a slightly different angle. While these wrist positions changes are great for some select exercises, as a whole, this barbell will cause many limitations in your workout for things like squats, bench press, etc.

A straight bar barbell, however, provides a nice challenging workout. I actually prefer a combination of free weights and a barbell to get the best of both worlds. I find classic exercises like squats, lunges, bench press, bicep curls, and tricep extensions (ie: skull crushers) to be much more comfortable with a barbell but free weights are great for various wrist grips, various muscle fiber recruitment, independent arm training, coordination and range of motion amongst other benefits.

If you must make a choice, start with free weights ad then upgrade to having both.

Hi there! :) Glad to have finally joined the forums --I've been doing your DVDs since I was in high school.

I am curious --what exactly is the benefit of a barbell when compared to a set of dumbbells?

I still have the barbell I bought back in high school, and I went cheap... Well, you get what you pay for. I cant stand it! The barbell I bought has spots in the center that jut out, where I guess you are supposed to put your hands, but they are too wide apart for me and hurt my elbows, and when I put the bar on my back, the jutted sections dig into my back. :(

I'm just curious --is it really worth it to buy a barbell if you work out regularly, or are dumbbells fine as well? What are the benefits of using a bar or using dumbbells?

Thanks! :)

(I'm sure this is a simple question, so anyone who knows the answer, please feel free to respond! :) )

Wow, thank you, Cathe! :) I really appreciate your help! I wish I had known about the huge differences between an EZ curl bar and a regular bar. It makes exercises so uncomfortable, but when I bought it, I figured, Hey! A bar's a bar. I was asking because I was wondering if maybe it was just me or if all bars would be as uncomfortable.

Good to know this may not be the case! Thank you!

Hi Forever-Exigent!

It sounds to me like the barbell you have is an EZ curl bar which is not a good overall barbell because of the limitations which you have already noticed. EZ curl bars are good for those who need or prefer a different wrist position to make certain exercises either more comfortable or provide the ability to hit the muscle form a slightly different angle. While these wrist positions changes are great for some select exercises, as a whole, this barbell will cause many limitations in your workout for things like squats, bench press, etc.

A straight bar barbell, however, provides a nice challenging workout. I actually prefer a combination of free weights and a barbell to get the best of both worlds. I find classic exercises like squats, lunges, bench press, bicep curls, and tricep extensions (ie: skull crushers) to be much more comfortable with a barbell but free weights are great for various wrist grips, various muscle fiber recruitment, independent arm training, coordination and range of motion amongst other benefits.

If you must make a choice, start with free weights ad then upgrade to having both.

Here is the set I have & I love it. I also have two other BB's but this one is my fav! I love the rubber plates too for not being so hard on my wood floors. You can order it from:

http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

Troy Lite™ Workout System with Quiet Iron ™ Plates

NOW WITH TROY RUBBER GRIP PLATES​
The Troy Lite Workout System features the black oxide painted “lite” bar which has a maximum capacity of 80 lbs. yet weighs only 5 lbs. The 54” length bar makes it ideal for use in group exercises. The compact Troy Quiet Iron™ rubber enclosed Grip weights help prevent damage to the floor and equipment and take up little space. The spring collars safely hold the rubber plates on the bar but allow for quick changing of the plates.

TroyLiteSystem.jpg

I like having both BB's & DB's since they hit the muscles differently! I hope you can add one to your equipment soon! :)

I, too, have an EZ curl bar. I looked at the Troy Bar system and am seriously considering purchasing it. In the meantime, what I do for squats is use a barbell pad. It provides cushion and keeps the bar from digging into my back.

I have 2 easy curl bars, one more angled than the other. I have trouble rotating my arms outward enough to get my hands gripping a straight bar. an easy curl bar is much "easier" for me to grip. just an individual variation as far as I know.

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for barbells with the spring clips that have a higher than 80 lb weight limit?

Another question....if I do go with a Troy Lite, I see what Debbie mentions above:

I have also found the Troy Lite TLW-40, but haven't been able to come across a weight limit for it. It also is a 5-lb bar, so I'm suspecting that it also has an 80 lb weight limit.
http://www.fitnessequipmentandmore.com/Troy-Barbell-TLW-40-TBT1255.html?cv=

I haven't yet found where to buy extra plates, so wondering, too, how much they are?

Thanks,
Mary

mkeefe said:
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for barbells with the spring clips that have a higher than 80 lb weight limit?

Another question....if I do go with a Troy Lite, I see what Debbie mentions above:

I have also found the Troy Lite TLW-40, but haven't been able to come across a weight limit for it. It also is a 5-lb bar, so I'm suspecting that it also has an 80 lb weight limit.
http://www.fitnessequipmentandmore.com/Troy-Barbell-TLW-40-TBT1255.html?cv=

I haven't yet found where to buy extra plates, so wondering, too, how much they are?

Thanks,
Mary

Mary, here is a link that answers your questions. I am not suggesting you add more then 80#'s for safety reasons to the Troy but I have added a bit more at times and it seems fine. I love my Troy! Here is the link: http://cathe.com/forum/f95/where-can-i-find-barbell-set-252281/

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.