Barbell rows?

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! Let me just start by saying that I LOVE your work outs!:)

I think the barbell row is the exercise I am curious about...where you bend at the knees and at the hip and start the exercise with the barbell (palm up or down-she does it both ways) extended out towards the knees and then pull in to work the back...?

Anway-you use a barbell but I do not have one so I use dumbbells. To do this exercise with dumbbells it is awkward to hold the dumbbells horizontal as if it were a barbell (when my palms are down) so I have started to hold them vertical at the sides and do the exercise that way. Am I working the same muscles as you do?

When you do this with palms facing up I hold the dumbbells the way you hold the barbell because I don't know of any alternative except to continue to hold them vertical through the whole thing. Any suggestions for that?

Thanks so much!

Oooh! What a great question, Wendy. I have meant to ask that several times & forget. I have to hold my dumbbells the same, but I tell myself, if I can feel my elbow leading & as close to my side as possible I must be using the right muscle. I have never checked to see if I was right though? Not only that, sometimes, it's hard to feel or imagine what muscles you're activating.

Marla

I can't do this move with a barbell as it aggravates the arthritis in my hands and wrists. I always use dumbells and keep them at about a 45 degree angle. Imagine looking down toward your feet. I keep my hands like: / \ for an over hand grip and \ / for an under hand grip, where Cathe has hers: -- and you have yours: II. Does that make any sense?

Anyway, that works pretty well for me and I can definitely feel it in my back.

HTH,
Lunacat

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.