Arm definition + rotation

ly22

I was wondering if it's better to do the same type of weight exercises for awhile, or alternate them.

For example, should I solely use gym equipment for 6 weeks, and then do Cathe and other weight videos for 6 weeks?
OR should I go the gym once a week, and do videos twice a week?

For the past 2-3 months, I've been doing the latter- using gym equipment to take advantage of my gym membership, but using Cathe (and others) videos when I don't feel like driving to the gym. I have thin arms, but there's little visible tone. They look in better shape than before, but nothing great. I know there's some muscle because when I flex it's there, but I can't see it when my arms are just hanging. Is there anything else I can do? I'm frustrated because I've actually been consistent with this. Maybe I just can't gain much more tone??
THANKS!

Hi Ly22! You can do both but the key is that whatever you choose to do that it meets the requirements to reach your goals.

In your case, wanting to build more muscle tone in your arms, I would suggest that your weight training be complete (total body)with an added emphasis on your biceps, triceps and shoulders. On your gym visit I would use machines that work muscles differently than what your exercises at home do for variety of muscle recruitment. Plus I would work your biceps, triceps, and shoulders each separately one additional time per week. If your weight is where you want it, then add only the minimum requirements for cardio activity to keep your heart conditioned (three times per week at 20 minutes). If your weight is not where you want it, then do cardio anywhere from 3 to 5 times per week at 45 to 60 minute sessions. A healthy diet is a must as well. One final reminder is that if genetically your body has a hard time putting on muscle then you will have to work extra hard and be extra focused and consistent with your lifting program.

An example of a week of weight training for you(you can insert the proper amount of cardio wherever needed). Include a 5 minute ab workout 3 times per week too.

Monday: gym workout hitting two exercises for each body part that you don't already do during your home workouts(2 for legs, 2 for chest, 2 for back, 2 for shoulders, 2 for triceps, 2 for biceps

WED: SLOW HEAVY SHOULDERS

FRI: SLOW HEAVY BICEPS

SAT: SLOW HEAVY TRICEPS

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.