another cardio question

shev16

I've been reading all the posts regarding more weight training and a little less cardio. Is this still true if you are trying to lose a considerable amount of fat/weight? I noticed the earlier posts were people that were already pretty fit and just looking to tone and lose fat in "bad spots" I had always heard you need a lot of cardio to lose the fat covering the muscles. Currently I do KPC 3x/week, L&G 2x/wk, and PUB 2x/wk and treadmill 2x/wk. Basically it is cardio and weights/toning Mon-Fri and toning/weights only Sat and Sun. As far as eating, I try to eat more protein on the days I do L&G and PUB and a few more carbs on the days I do mostly cardio. I have a lot of trouble losing weight and was wondering if what I am doing is completely wrong or if my body just takes more work to lose.
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

shev16

Holy Molly! That is a significant work out plan. I am out of my depth here to give you any recommendations. All I can say is kudos and good luck.

~* Vrinda *~

Thank you so much for replying! I've posted a couple of times before about other things but I've never had a reply. Hopefully someone will have some ideas but I thank you for responding!! Have a great day!

Shev16

Oh Shev!

I am sorry that your posts did not get replied to. Have you tried posting at the Open Discussion forum? This section is meant for questions to Cathe.

I hope some of the wiser ones (and there are many at this forum) will get to your post, or perhaps even Cathe.

~* Vrinda *~

I wouldn't know how to contain myself if Cathe responded!! That's always the ultimate goal right?? I read all the fitness magazines and look on websites about working out and eating the right foods but it comes to applying it to myself I am CLUELESS!! Cathe's input would be like gold!!

I hope your dreams come true and she does respond. :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

~* Vrinda *~

thank you! I just reread my response and I sounded pretty pathetic!!
I am a 29 yr old stay at home mom of 2 (5&6) and I babysit 2 more during the day so basically this is the only adult conversation I can get! (besides my husband, but I think he is sick of my fitness talk!!) That is why I got so excited to see a response. You are sweet to keep responding to my ramblings!

You dont sound pathetic at all Shev. (Fainting when Cathe responds is standard operating procedure. ;))

Seriously thiough, do post also at the Open Discussion. There are wise, fun, encouraging people there who love to talk about fitness and much else besides.

~* Vrinda *~

Hi, Shev! I think the question of what is the optimum balance of cardio vs. weights is specific to each person, her body type and her current and desired fitness level.

That said, I'd like to suggest that you start to significantly vary your cardio routines. Per your post you're doing KPC and treadmill, and IMHO your cardio routine could benefit greatly from bringing in step, hi/lo, other kickbox routines, athletic-drill-based boot camp routines, and cardio-circuit routines. I would bet that you've gotten too good at KPC and treadmill and are losing the keenest edge of your cardio challenge. Consider getting some of Cathe's other cardio routines with different formats.

Also, do vary your weight routines as well, but keep as a goal being able to lift heavier weights for each drill or muscle group over time. The upcoming STS series is designed to promote absolute strength building as well as premium mass development, and those are crucial to creating a lean, well-defined physique that is as healthy as it is attractive.

What I've suggested works for those who have a significant amount of storage fat to lose as ell as a significant amount of muscle mass to build. Variety and intensity, AND consistency, are the keys.

HTH -

A-Jock

Thank you SO much!! You know what your talking about, I've seen your posts before!! I will try to convince DH that I need more videos (he is very old school and thinks I just need to do the treadmill everyday until exhaustion) I don't want to be runner thin, I want to look fit so when people look at me they know I have muscle and am not just "skinny" although I have never been skinny or fit my entire life!!! Thanks again for the input

Shev

Hi Shev! I just wanted to say WELCOME! It's nice to have you here. Cathe is very busy right now with STS but hopefully she will be able to "talk" with you when things slow down a bit for her. (SHE never slows down! :7) AJ has given you great advice and I agree with Vrinda...hop on over to the OD Forum and you'll learn lots there. Good for you for not wanting to be "skinny"...FIT is what it's all about.

Again, http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/1.gif

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Hi Shev,

Just also wanted to say welcome! In addition to what A-Jock mentioned, you might also try doing some intervals. Those really helped me kick things up a notch in the fat-burning arena!:)

Hi Shev,

Don't forget about diet too. You mentioned that you eat protein, which is good. I've found that it truly is 80/20 - 80 being what and how much you eat and the 20 being your workouts. It took me a long time to realize this, but it's true. I've always worked out like a mad woman, but was still "skinny flabby" in some places. When I started really watching what and how much I ate is when I got rid of all the jiggles and became much more defined. Lean protein (egg whites, skinless chicken breasts, fish, extra-lean turkey), no pre-packaged food of any kind, and fruits, veggies, and whole grains will get you the results you want. It may sound boring, but it is soooo worth it!

Good luck to you!

Jan

If you have been doing this routine for a while and are not seeing the results you want, you have right there every motivation and validation you need to change things up. The body responds positively to change, in fact, it needs it in order to keep delivering on the results we all want to see, lean, tight, muscular/athletic looking bodies.

So, you have different ways of introducing change. You can vary the type of cardio that you do, as A-Jock suggested, and you can vary the type of cardio that you do with the same methods. So, you can still do your treadmill workouts, but you need to make sure that you are not hopping on and doing the same tired old workouts every time. The body adapts very quickly, and what used to work for you no longer produces the same results. Your body has gotten very efficient at that treadmill workout (and at KPC) and no longer expends the same number of calories that it used to do to do the same workout. Here's where intervals come in, not to mention increasing the speed of your power walking or running on the treadmill in a steady state fashion. And the treadmill has inclines that you must make the most of! So, experiment with giving yourself treadmill intervals of 2-3 minutes where you alternately jack up the incline or speed and really get the heart pumping. Plus inclines will do great things for the glutes and quads.

I am going to suggest that you either borrow the following book from your library or invest in it from amazon.com, which has the cheapest price. It is well written, funny and intelligent. It will finally convince you, not to abandon cardio altogether becaue cardio is still a vital component of a fitness program, but it will give you the courage you need to drop 2 cardio days from your current regime and pick up heavier weights on those days in a consistent fashion, to really develop some muscle and drop those pounds for good.

"The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler.

It is not that you have to follow the plan of weighted exercises that are laid down in the book religiously either. Just read the theoretical portion of the book and take it from there. All the cardio you are doing is not getting you the results you want. This book will explain to you exactly why and how to get those results. What you will then discover is that Cathe's weight workouts include pretty much all of the recommended weight exercises included in the book, so it is a nice companion to her DVDs.

I mentioned earlier that results come from changing up your routine and not allowing the body to become overly proficient at the same type of exercise. The other major rule, adherence to which will help you make the desired chamges in your body, is that with weight training you need to gradually overload the muscles with increasingly heavier weights. Do not fear the words "heavy weights". They will not turn you into the incredible hulk nor does anyone expect you to start pumping iron with 50 pound bicep curls overnight, if ever, actually! Progressive overload takes time. It can take several years to gradually mold a physique, but luckily, the benefits of weight training can be seen quite quickly. You will have more energy, your body will get tighter, you may drop several dress sizes but not necessarily drop too many pounds because muscle tissue is dense and takes up less space than fat cells in the body. You will feel great. A stronger upper body helps you to power through treadmill running workouts, believe me, and stronger legs will have you powering through KPC and other kickboxing workouts you get.

I suggest you invest in either STS, which will provide you with everything you need for weight training, it will be a superlative, all encompassing system, or a couple of Cathe's already released series to get started with some heavier weights. Try S&H and Gym Styles. This may seem a large expense but think about it: you will have these DVDs for life and you are investing in health for life.

Cut your cardio down to 4 sessions per week and add in extra strength training and watch the changes this will make to your body. What do you have to lose? Body fat. What do you have to gain? More strength and power and increased self confidence, not to mention a new wardrobe for that leaner body you will be building!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.