Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Ask Cathe

Ask Cathe This is a forum to ask Cathe Friedrich a question. Cathe can't answer every post, but will try to answer as many as possible.

another cardio question

This is a discussion on another cardio question within the Ask Cathe forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I've been reading all the posts regarding more weight training and a little less cardio. Is this still true if ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM
shev16's Profile Fields

Default another cardio question

I've been reading all the posts regarding more weight training and a little less cardio. Is this still true if you are trying to lose a considerable amount of fat/weight? I noticed the earlier posts were people that were already pretty fit and just looking to tone and lose fat in "bad spots" I had always heard you need a lot of cardio to lose the fat covering the muscles. Currently I do KPC 3x/week, L&G 2x/wk, and PUB 2x/wk and treadmill 2x/wk. Basically it is cardio and weights/toning Mon-Fri and toning/weights only Sat and Sun. As far as eating, I try to eat more protein on the days I do L&G and PUB and a few more carbs on the days I do mostly cardio. I have a lot of trouble losing weight and was wondering if what I am doing is completely wrong or if my body just takes more work to lose.
Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

shev16
Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Cathlete
Vee's Profile Fields

Default RE: another cardio question

Holy Molly! That is a significant work out plan. I am out of my depth here to give you any recommendations. All I can say is kudos and good luck.

~* Vrinda *~
Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
shev16's Profile Fields

Thank you so much for replying! I've posted a couple of times before about other things but I've never had a reply. Hopefully someone will have some ideas but I thank you for responding!! Have a great day!

Shev16
Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Cathlete
Vee's Profile Fields

Oh Shev!

I am sorry that your posts did not get replied to. Have you tried posting at the Open Discussion forum? This section is meant for questions to Cathe.

I hope some of the wiser ones (and there are many at this forum) will get to your post, or perhaps even Cathe.

~* Vrinda *~
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM
shev16's Profile Fields

I wouldn't know how to contain myself if Cathe responded!! That's always the ultimate goal right?? I read all the fitness magazines and look on websites about working out and eating the right foods but it comes to applying it to myself I am CLUELESS!! Cathe's input would be like gold!!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Cathlete
Vee's Profile Fields

I hope your dreams come true and she does respond. :) I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

~* Vrinda *~
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
shev16's Profile Fields

thank you! I just reread my response and I sounded pretty pathetic!!
I am a 29 yr old stay at home mom of 2 (5&6) and I babysit 2 more during the day so basically this is the only adult conversation I can get! (besides my husband, but I think he is sick of my fitness talk!!) That is why I got so excited to see a response. You are sweet to keep responding to my ramblings!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Cathlete
Vee's Profile Fields

You dont sound pathetic at all Shev. (Fainting when Cathe responds is standard operating procedure. ;))

Seriously thiough, do post also at the Open Discussion. There are wise, fun, encouraging people there who love to talk about fitness and much else besides.

~* Vrinda *~
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Cathlete
Aquajock's Profile Fields

Hi, Shev! I think the question of what is the optimum balance of cardio vs. weights is specific to each person, her body type and her current and desired fitness level.

That said, I'd like to suggest that you start to significantly vary your cardio routines. Per your post you're doing KPC and treadmill, and IMHO your cardio routine could benefit greatly from bringing in step, hi/lo, other kickbox routines, athletic-drill-based boot camp routines, and cardio-circuit routines. I would bet that you've gotten too good at KPC and treadmill and are losing the keenest edge of your cardio challenge. Consider getting some of Cathe's other cardio routines with different formats.

Also, do vary your weight routines as well, but keep as a goal being able to lift heavier weights for each drill or muscle group over time. The upcoming STS series is designed to promote absolute strength building as well as premium mass development, and those are crucial to creating a lean, well-defined physique that is as healthy as it is attractive.

What I've suggested works for those who have a significant amount of storage fat to lose as ell as a significant amount of muscle mass to build. Variety and intensity, AND consistency, are the keys.

HTH -

A-Jock
Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
shev16's Profile Fields

Thank you SO much!! You know what your talking about, I've seen your posts before!! I will try to convince DH that I need more videos (he is very old school and thinks I just need to do the treadmill everyday until exhaustion) I don't want to be runner thin, I want to look fit so when people look at me they know I have muscle and am not just "skinny" although I have never been skinny or fit my entire life!!! Thanks again for the input

Shev