advanced stepper

daisy1

For anyone out there, I have been doing step aerobics for about 4 years and am having trouble finding step tapes that challenge me anymore. If anyone has any ideas for high-intensity, challenging step tapes, Cathe or otherwise, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-01 AT 10:44PM (Est)[/font][p]Well, I took step classes for about 3 years and considered myself an advanced stepper (also ran 30-40 minutes on the treadmill after class).

When I first tried PowerMax, I couldn't believe how tough it was. Tougher than any of the previous "advance" step classes I'd taken. I had to stop and take breaks with Cathe's tapes.

StepWorks, StepFit, PowerMax, MIC (half step, high hi/lo). If you don't think these are challenging, well, I salute you. :D

Interval Max is an interval tape, doesn't have complex choreography, but it's got to be the most challenging cardio tape of Cathe's.

CIA also puts out some pretty advanced step tapes, but they're slightly slower (BPM) than Cathe's newer step tapes.

RE: Interval Max 4-Ever!

I second the earlier response re Interval Max - I do believe it is the highest-intensity step tape on the market. Lots of truly plyometric intervals, not just rebounding off the balls of the feet and recruiting mostly calves, but half-time vertical jumps, half-time plyo-jacks, box jumps, half-time side-to-side slalom jumps, half-time plyo lunges ("Power Scissors"), airborne jacks and high tuck-jumps, etc. that recruit the quads, hamstrings and glutes for real power. Simple choreography, maximum work and benefits. It's a staple of my home routine.

Also, you may want to check out Reebok / Gin Miller's "Intense Moves" step tape - this is also based on interval training, and includes higher-intensity plyometric segments. It is less intense than I-Max, but higher intensity than most.

Good luck!

Annette

Mindy Mylrae

Mindy also has some very challenging, athletic-style step tapes. Her CIA 2K02 Sports Cardio is a killer workout. Also good are Action Packed and CIA 2101 Extreme Intervals plus Pump Party. Both of those have both step and hi/lo. Extreme Intervals also has a very nice body bar conditioning segment at the end. After Cathe's weights it isn't really a muscle building workout, but it's great for endurance. Good luck!

Erin

lots of CIA tapes - Christi, Andre, Patrick and Cathe of Course!

In addition to Cathe's wonderful tapes, Creative Instructor Aerobics produces many high quality choreographically complex tapes. look at ciavideo.com . I love Christi Taylor, Andre Houle, most Patrick Goudeau, Shannon and Alison, the new Gay Gaspar is very good. Christi has a brand new step tape called Still Steppin' Just for Fun - it's terrific. her website is taylordfitness.com

I like Cathe's All Step in CTX and StepWorks of course.

and for the record, it's Mindy "Mylrea"

RE: lots of CIA tapes - Christi, Andre, Patrick and Cathe of Course!

I have been stepping for 10 years and I am definitely an advanced stepper. I was getting to the point where I needed a definite change "Burn Out", and then Cathe came out with the CTX series. They really helped me as the tapes are only 30 minutes long and you get a good workout out. It made all the difference as they are challenging and they don't bore you. I still have a lot of others and I just change everything around now and again. Mindy is good if you don't mind listening to her babbling, I've traded 2 of her tapes cos I had a hard time listening to her in the morning. I have her latest and have to really gear myself up for her chirping.

I didn't see any of Kari Anderson's step tapes mentioned. I always enjoy her tapes. You can find all of them at Collagevideo.com. Her most recent--Body Tech--includes some weight work, and she has a fun one where she pairs with Jay Blahnik (is that name right?)that's about 52 min. long. I like her Danceworks, not a step tape, but with a ballet company. I felt like a dancer by the time I mastered that one, and it ends with some Pilates-style work. There's also a Breakthrough tape with Michelle Dozios and another instructor that I have enjoyed doing.

I write not necessarily to recommend tapes--others have already recommended some good ones I know of. When I need more challenge or even just a change of pace on the step I have a few things I do:

1.) Add power to basic moves (e.g. run or jump instead of basic step)

2.) Add light hand weights. I will typically do this on a lifting day and will work the same muscle group(s).

3.) Change the position of your step. I do this a lot with my Power Step Reebok. Instead of doing the run-ups facing the step, I will do them straddling the step. It really isn't hard if you are advanced. Just keep the count.

4.) Stop the tape and do as many cleans and presses as you can with a semi-challenging weight. Then go back to the tape.

Have a great step work out! Jeanne (a lurker)

P.S. My husband and I have a joke--if the houses catches on fire, he is to get the wedding album while I grab the step!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.