achilles tendon pain

thirty11

Cathlete
Hey all you educated exercisers . . .

I have continual soreness in my right achilles tendon. I only occasionally notice it when I walk (usually only the first few steps after sitting for a while) , but it is really sore to the touch.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is an "injury waiting to happen" or if I've just over-strained it . . . I work out on those foam exercise mats and wear good shoes. I don't remember when it WASN'T sore, and so I don't recall twisting it or anything.

Any words of advice?
Thanks
anna

Hi Anna

You may want to post this question in General Discussion for a quicker response or use Search and find out if this "injury" has been discussed before

Marion

:)

I get sharp pain in my right achilles tendon too. It's not continual, it's kind of an off-and-on thing. I was just looking some stuff up on Google and it sounds like it's an injury waiting to happen. Do you wear high heels? One site said that women who wear high heels a lot and then wear sneakers commonly have this problem because the tendon is shortened while wearing the heels, and then lengthened with the sneakers. Or something like that.

Pretty much said that it's important to stretch it out every day that you wear the heels.

Here's a link for information on prevention of injury:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/sports_and_fitness/tr1833.asp

Hi Anna,

Recently I was diagnosed with Achilles Tendonitis. My symptoms were: soreness - especially in the morning, I had to hobble around for a little while until they stretched out; a tight/stretching feeling when I did any kind of movement which was pushing my heel toward the floor; and a little bit of tenderness when I would rub my heels. I could really feel the tightness when doing floor aerobics.

Doctor told me to stretch 3 times a day (he gave me a hand-out with specific exercises), to NOT do any kind of exercising such as high-impact floor aerobics right now, NO calf raises, and he prescibed Celebrex for inflammation. I also ice (or try to!) my heels 2 X per day.

This is not the easiest injury to heal apparently but he said if I don't get rid of it now then it will become chronic which can lead to more severe injuries :-(

You may want to see your doctor to find out what's going on.

Good luck!
Bev K.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.