ABS QUESTION

Fitnik

Cathlete
I am getting some really nice abs but cannot do any of the traditional exercises eg crunches etc.. without my neck starting to ache at the stage where I'm feeling the burn and really wanting to push myself. I always end up using my Ab Dolly (which is very effective and seems to help my form more) but would really like to be able to do crunches etc.. I especially feel the neck ache when doing oblique twists/ cross-overs where alternate leg/elbow are working towards and away from each other - very frustrating as these are so effective for the love handle area. Can anyone help - I've tried everything from imagining an orange is stuck under my chin to actually putting one there ! But no joy !!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated !!

Well, I am no Cathe (THAT's for sure!) But I was confused by your orange under the chin comment. I always thought that you should have your shoulders back and your chin pointed to the ceiling when doing crunches. That might help alleviate some of the tension in your neck - and then just concentrate on letting your ab muscles do the work to lift you up... Just MHO. I'm sure you will get loads of advice from the many more educated crowd out there -- and from Cathe herself.

K--

Hi K!

What Fitnik means by the orange comment is exactly what you described. The idea of an "apple or an orange" under the chin, is that IF it is placed there, it keeps one from pointing there chin DOWN so that it rests on there neck instead of pointing straight up to the ceiling as it should. Does that make sense? In other words, it helps keep the chin in proper alignment. Not many people will ACTUALLY use an object, but imagine it there. Also, Fitnik, Kathleen is right when she says to USE your ABS to lift you. I try be sure that my hands behind my head are barely touching my head so as not to jerk up or use my hands to lift. Keep all attention to your ABS doing all the work. At first, you will experience some tension in your neck but it should improve as your AB muscles get stronger & stronger. Maybe, Cathe can give you some better tips. Good Luck!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Fitnik! As the others have stated, as your abs get stronger, your neck strain will start to diminish. But I do want to clarify that you want to keep your head neutral, therefore your chin will not be excessively aimed down or up, rather somewhere right in the middle.

Do the ab exercises that you have mentioned as long as you can and once your neck starts to fatigue, stop. Then make it your goal that each time you do ab work, you want to go 5 seconds longer past the point of discomfort, and then stop. This will help to develop your endurance for holding your neck up this long as well as strengthen your abs without losing your alignment due to unbearable strain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.