58 and loosing some "steam"

blkblt

Cathlete
Hi Cathe! First and foremost let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for all you do for us. You are my ONLY source (except for some Pilates and Yoga) of exercises. Let me try to describe what I am going through. I just turned 58 and "My oh my! is it different since 55, doesn't get any easier. I still exercise between 4-6 days/week and usually try to follow a rotation. I just don't like to guess where I'm going and also when it's on the rotation I usually don't substitute for an easier workout. But I find that it's getting harder and harder cardio wise. I have to take more breaks than before. So my question is how can I get the cardio back... (will it come back) or should I start "going easier on me". I read all kinds of research as for the different types of cardio; steady state, endurance, HIIT... and not sure how to distribute my cardios on a weekly basis.
Of course I also took the dreaded 5-7 lbs over the holidays...5 to be exact. Right now I am doing a modified 90 day rotation of X-train and LIS. Should I stick to the order and tapes recommended and just pause when I need (I usually take no more than 15 sec) and it will come back or do something else? I would appreciate your expert opinion.
Again congratulations on all your great work
Christiane

Oh Christiane! Say it isn't so!! :( I just turned 55 in December. I am anxious to hear what Cathe has to say.

I also turned 55 in October 2013 - and would love to see what Cathe says about this. Sometimes I wonder how long will I be able to keep going at this intensity on certain exercises? When I think that I am close to 60, I get a little frightened about that, the years are going by so fast - UGH! :-(

It might not be age, it might be a vitamin deficiency manifesting as 'tiredness'. My mom discovered she was both vit. B12 and vit. D deficient at your age, you might want to get tested. Now, at 65, she has a lot more oomph than she had at 55.

Even I feel a lot better now that I'm taking my multivitamin, I know there has been blow back regards the multivitamin, many say that we don't absorb it, but I use a gummy (so its chewed, not a hard pill that is hard to break down.) but oh man, I feel better. And, I'm only 36, so its not age for me;)

I hope that helps.

Rapidbreath, I think you are absolutely right about the Vit. B12, I take mine in powder form that I pour into sugar-free lemonade and I do feel much better. I stopped taking it for a while and that's when I felt "slower". I also take a multi-vitamin, just a little insurance for me.

Thanks.

RapidBreathe can you tell us what gummybear vitamin are you taking? And thanks for the tip on B12 & D both you and Workout.

I monitor all of my numbers pretty closely, follow a diet plan, and take supplements as recommended by my naturopath. I sure can work it on a spin bike, but my knees can no longer handle step, hi-lo, or plyo jumps. I'm already wondering how I will fare on the RT :eek:, but come hell or high water, I WILL endure. I already figured I'll need to ice my knees in the evening. I am going to enjoy every minute of that weekend no matter what! :p

I do not know what's wrong with your knees but my older girlfriend went to the Bone and Joint Doctor and he did a new procedure right in his office where he inserts a needle and removes all the fluid that has built up in her knees. She is so happy because she walks normal (even after work) and is pain free. She can get it done every 3 months. It has been life changing for her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.