2nd floor apt - help!

dimples237

Cathlete
Cathe,
I live in a 2nd floor apt and feel like I'm always making a lot of noise when I'm jumping around, etc. I work out on an area rug over a creaky wooden floor, and was wondering of you had any suggestions as to lessening the noise, etc. I don't want to lessen the intensity of my workouts, but I also don't want to create "thunderstorms" for my neighbors downstairs. Would laying a thicker mat or some other kind of cushion under my step help at all? Does anyone else have this problem???

Thanks,
Sarah :)

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah,

I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!! For years I lived on the first floor of apartments because of my exercise addiction. Then I was forced to move and found a fantastic apartment on the third floor of a nice building and for months the apartment underneath me was empty. I, like you, had to do Cathe's videos to it's fullest intensity. Every leap, hop, jump, and bound counted! After only once, my neighbor came to my apartment after banging up with a broom for so long, to see what was going on. This is where I found a resolution to, can I say, both his and my problem. After convincing him that exercising was a need and not a want, we worked out a time schedule that was good for both him and I. There were many times when he was home when I started and times when he wasn't. The fact remained that, like a class, my exercise had to start at a certain time and end an hour later. Along with this, I also bought that foamy stuff that goes under wall to wall carpeting along with a cut piece of carpet from Home Depot. This quieted the noise at least 70% and it felt good underneath my feet as well, so it was a double bonus. I sadly knew that this would never be able to last. I still could not work out to my maximum potential in constant fear of disturbing my neighbor. So I had to move out and find a first floor apartment. Now, I'm in heaven! This may be the ultimate solution, but until then, buy that carpet and the foam and try to work out a schedule with your neighbor if at all possible. Good luck and keep steppin'.

Candy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.