So ... SNM ... modifier or no modifier?

bouki45

Hi,

Long time Cathe admirer, supporter and purchaser here. Over 10 years. I'd like to ask this question without getting a whole flame war going, if no one minds. :)

Will there be a modifier in at least some of these workouts?

I'm getting a little giddy looking at the pictures from the Shock Cardio rehearsals. They look wonderful! But I'm a bit apprehensive too because my knees are 45 year old knees and just can't take excessive impact anymore.

I don't want to give up excellent workouts just because my knees are tweaky!

I buy Cathe because I love the level of professionalism, the quality of the workouts, the overall concern with safety and good form, plus the benefits and results each workout provides. (That's also why I can't resist a pre-order. :p )

Please tell me there's something here for me.

Just call me "Old Tweaky Knees." :)

I suspect there is not a single modifier from looking at the pictures. I probably should ask for my money back, because my knees are 62 years old and I only do step on the 4 inch platform and this looks like a tremendous amount of jumping, leaping, flying through the air. Sigh! I really had hopes this time around for one modifier. I feel really sad.

You can always add your own modifyers in, if there is jumps just step etc. the main thing is that you keep moving, even if you arnt following cathe exactly. Just a thought.

You can always add your own modifyers in, if there is jumps just step etc. the main thing is that you keep moving, even if you arnt following cathe exactly. Just a thought.

Good point, Mishel. :)

I agree that experienced exercisers can generally figure out how to modify.

But, what would be great about a modifier in the workout is that we could be offered expert modification tips by Cathe's team.

That means we could modify and know that safety, exertion and the opportunity to get best results have all been taken into account and worked out by a team we trust.

Plus, as Cathe offers new moves and broader options for pushing fitness in new directions she could educate even experienced exercisers about appropriate and effective modifications.

I really hope that SNM will take this into consideration. I'd love to do Cathe into old age! LOL.

But, what would be great about a modifier in the workout is that we could be offered expert modification tips by Cathe's team.

That means we could modify and know that safety, exertion and the opportunity to get best results have all been taken into account and worked out by a team we trust.
It's also nice to have someone to 'workout with' rather than feeling like we're doing 'something less' when we modify (due to wanting to keep our knees in working order into our old age). Talking the talk by saying we can modify isn't the same as walking the walk by providing a modifier who is doing just that (and who keeps the intensity up while removing the highest impact and--ideally--any torquey moves).

I find it disappointing as well.

There's never been a modifier in Cathe's DVDs before, I can't imagine why she'd start now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

I modify on my own all the time. And I can use modifications I've seen in other DVDs that are both safe and done by professionals. It doesn't bother me a bit. I don't feel guilty, I don't feel wimpy, & I don't feel lonely.

In fact, I feel delighted & grateful to have yet another phenomenal w/o by Cathe (who, BTW, has knees in her 40s as well :)).

There are modifiers in most of Cathe's DVDs, so I would think she'll still have them. They're in STS and in Supersets/PushPull for sure, off the top of my head. I can't think of them all because they're not totally noticeable until she points them out. I think Cedie, Brenda and Lorraine are the most common folks, although Denise did a lot in STS. I vote for them, as I too, am a member of the bad knees club.

There are modifiers in most of Cathe's DVDs, so I would think she'll still have them. They're in STS and in Supersets/PushPull for sure, off the top of my head. I can't think of them all because they're not totally noticeable until she points them out. I think Cedie, Brenda and Lorraine are the most common folks, although Denise did a lot in STS.

Exactly. Cathe has included modifiers before with minimal disruption to those who do not need them. That's one of the reasons "it ain't broke." ;)

It's also nice to have someone to 'workout with' rather than feeling like we're doing 'something less' when we modify (due to wanting to keep our knees in working order into our old age).

I agree! :)

There are modifiers in most of Cathe's DVDs, so I would think she'll still have them. They're in STS and in Supersets/PushPull for sure, off the top of my head. I can't think of them all because they're not totally noticeable until she points them out. I think Cedie, Brenda and Lorraine are the most common folks, although Denise did a lot in STS. I vote for them, as I too, am a member of the bad knees club.

That must be only in her strength training DVDs, which I don't really do. I don't recall ever seeing a modifier in her cardio workouts. Unless I'm just delirious, which is entirely possible. ;)

I don't recall seeing modifiers in her cardio workouts either, Laura.

Given the recent article quoting Cathe about aging and exercise, and given that a lot of us are over 40 (along with Cathe), I think it would be a really nice and logical extension to include a modifier in these workouts.

I've already pre-ordered the workouts, so I will gladly take them with or without, though. :)

I don't recall seeing modifiers in her cardio workouts either, Laura.

Given the recent article quoting Cathe about aging and exercise, and given that a lot of us are over 40 (along with Cathe), I think it would be a really nice and logical extension to include a modifier in these workouts.

. :)

I agree. What a wonderful statement it could make to women about life-long fitness.

Cathe and her pals are superhuman but they are aging too. :p

For as fit as they are, like the rest of us they will eventually face cantankerous joints, grumpy muscles and the occasional injury.

Modifiers in cardio workouts could function just as they do in her strength workouts: To encourage us along at the fullest and safest capacity possible while building health and strength.

Where's the harm? :)

I don't think there's any harm in modifiers, but I also don't think there's harm in not having them. I guess I just find it bothersome that Cathe & crew work their tails off to make these DVDs, only to hear (even before they're shipped) that people are disappointed in them.

I'm in my 40s as well. I have my own joint issues, & Cathe's certainly done more high impact & high intensity throughout her lifetime than I have so I can only imagine the abuse her knees etc. have taken. But like I said, I've never had a problem modifying when I need to, & I thank god for Cathe's workouts. I don't know where I'd be without them. And "disappointed" is never a word I would use for them. :)

That said, still jonesing for a Low Max 2. ;)

I don't think there's any harm in modifiers, but I also don't think there's harm in not having them. I guess I just find it bothersome that Cathe & crew work their tails off to make these DVDs, only to hear (even before they're shipped) that people are disappointed in them.

I'm in my 40s as well. I have my own joint issues, & Cathe's certainly done more high impact & high intensity throughout her lifetime than I have so I can only imagine the abuse her knees etc. have taken. But like I said, I've never had a problem modifying when I need to, & I thank god for Cathe's workouts. I don't know where I'd be without them. And "disappointed" is never a word I would use for them. :)

That said, still jonesing for a Low Max 2. ;)

Well truth be told, I didn't say that I was disappointed. But I don't begrudge others who may feel disappointed that there hasn't been an answer yet. (Though we all know that Cathe doesn't have time to sit around and read the boards all day. ;) )

Still, consumers have a right and obligation to ask for what they need. Cathe and Crew do work their butts off (I WISH I could work my butt off like them! LOL.) but they're not doing it as a favor. It's a business. One that runs on how well customers feel satisfied.

For those who don't need modifiers in cardio, SNM's doing great. For those of us who do, there's a missed business opportunity. A customer need that can be met before the product has been finalized.

So I see the other side of the coin. I don't understand why some customers are bothered when other customers simply state what they need. Obviously, SNM has the discretion to listen, ignore or file suggestions away.

Fwiw, many 40 year old women can still do high impact. Many 20 year olds can't. Knee troubles are complicated and specific to things other than age. So a modifier would serve more than just aging exercisers. It would serve anybody who doesn't currently have the strength or full health to attempt every move.

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread so civil. It's nice to be able to talk about this without dumb bells and high step risers a'flying. :D

I came on line to write something here, and found bouki45 had already mentioned it, but I'd like to chime in. This isn't just about aging - I am 52 btw - a lot of people have knee or other problems for many reasons. My otherwise very healthy/athletic brother had knee surgery when he was in high school due to a cross country running injury, and it has never been the same since, for example. I love Cathe, I would love modifiers, if they aren't there I'll do it myself, but I have to admit I would prefer seeing someone model the moves. I do recall modifiers in the Push/Pull workout, the one I follow there specifically is when Cedie does shoulder presses sitting on a ball instead of an inverted press off the high step. Anyway I think it's great that we can have a discussion about this.

One way I've seen her do modifications is in the teaching of a step routine. She will often do the first two reps with a low impact (still high intensity) move. Then she says, "now here's the high impact version," and you can pick. I'm very happy with that way of providing a good modification first as you learn the moves and then, those who want it, can add impact in the subsequent reps.

If we can't have a designated modifier, I hope she does this kind of thing. I'd be very satisfied with that. I, for one, appreciate a good modification demonstrated even though I can use my imagination and still modify most moves. It does make me feel included or something.

I am surprised that people don't want to see a modifier. I don't understand how is this bothering people. I am thinking of cancelling my preorder as my knees are starting to bother me, and I am only in my thirties. When I preordered I never knew what a painful knee is. You just never know what tomorrow will bring.
If there is a modifier however, I may consider sticking with my order.

I can only speak for myself when I say I'm not bothered by the prospect of a modifier. At the risk of repeating myself, I'm bothered by people who're bothered by the prospect that there won't be one, b/c I can't understand why it's in any way problematic. Saying you're disappointed or threatening to cancel your preorder is just nonsensical to me. There are so many ways to modify on your own. Exercise-lover pointed out an excellent method.

The bottom line is you're getting the best quality exercise DVDs available. They're head & shoulders above anything else out there. I seriously doubt Cathe's business will suffer if she doesn't have a modifier.

Saying you're disappointed or threatening to cancel your preorder is just nonsensical to me
Did I say that I am disappointed, am I threatening to cancel ?
All I said was that I am surprised that peeople have a problem with seeing a modifier. I understand I can modify on my own... I feel that if Cathe knows that many of her fans would like to see a modifier she might consider using it.

Last edited:
Did I say that I am disappointed, am I threatening to cancel ?
All I said was that I am surprised that peeople have a problem with seeing a modifier. I understand I can modify on my own... I feel that if Cathe knows that many of her fans would like to see a modifier she might consider using it.

Why yes, you absolutely did: "I am thinking of cancelling my preorder as my knees are starting to bother me, and I am only in my thirties."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.