Premix Request - Lift it hit it Total body premix

Hi Cathe,

I would like , if feasible, to see a total body premix lasting about an hour.
Muscle Max last 66 minutes. Should there be any need to mix a 70 minutes total, please let be it. Ideally with the use of Barbell.

Thanks for taking our feedback on board:):).

Kind Regards,

I would love this too!! I have been finding myself reaching for total body workouts a lot lately.

One of my favorite full body premixes is 4DS (Upper and Lower together). My last purchase about a year ago was CTX (Cross Train Express). I bought it for the full upper body, legs and abs on one dvd which makes it really convenient to do a full body workout including abs.

I'm more inclined to reach for thorough workouts that hit each muscle group approximately 3 ways, and that's usually going to be an hour or more for me to feel complete. Nothing has replaced STS for me. I've done several other highly touted systems over the years, but my best results come from STS. Indeed there is always a need for the shorter workout, and the skip/fast forward button works fabulously.

I'm not impressed with the latest research about limiting a workout to a specified time because of theories on cortisol and that its counter-productive in the long run. My take on that is more a lack of sleep and inadequate food/supplement profiles (especially mineral content for women). My best results are from the hour+ full body workout once a week, with 3 (STS splits) throughout the week. Please give us one long, full body, killer premix that includes abs (interspersed is a great suggestion).

And now this may be off topic and inflammatory to some, so I guess you can flame me if you want.

Please Cathe...do not add a modifier. I have read posts about this and I understand the *why* about it, but you and only a handful of instructors are considered advanced, and having a modifier would ruin the unified look and perceptive feel of your workouts (of course this is my opinion). I buy your workouts because I want advanced, and if I can't do them the first time around, there's the challenge for me. I'm also intelligent enough to modify a move on my own. I don't do dead lifts, but I do squats or seated back dead lifts, I do pull up/ chinups for band work, or use my TRX for certain ab moves, or decline pushups. I use my mini-tramp for in-between sets of lifting. You can't stick that all on film. People who have been training for years know how to modify a move or advance the move, or simply eliminate it. You have always used verbal cues to modify a movement which makes more sense to me, considering you can hear a voice especially if you aren't looking at the screen at that moment. Anyway, hope I haven't offended anyone.

total body premix

Here Here! A total body pre-mix would be great. I find a once a week total body workout with HIIT training and biking throughout the rest of the week a perfect way for me to stay in shape

A total MWT---Metabolic weight training versus A circuit/light Metabolic workout.

It would be great to have a MWT ( Example: Cardio and weight) rather than a circuit/light Metabolic workout (Example: supercuts, afterburn etc...). IMHO there are tons of circuits.
One more MWT would provide us with more choice.

Is anyone for a pure MWT?

Here is the science bit
http://cathe.com/the-benefits-of-high-intensity-cardio-and-metabolic-training

I don't get it. What is it about Supercuts and Afterburn that you think disqualifies them from being true metabolic training and relegates them o the level of "just circuits"?

Dirtdiva: I'm with you on the longer, full body workouts and I'm not convinced about the "don't work for longer than an hour dreaded cortisol effect" either. Longer workouts work for me too. We all need to know what works for us.

Clare

I don't get it. What is it about Supercuts and Afterburn that you think disqualifies them from being true metabolic training and relegates them o the level of "just circuits"?

Dirtdiva: I'm with you on the longer, full body workouts and I'm not convinced about the "don't work for longer than an hour dreaded cortisol effect" either. Longer workouts work for me too. We all need to know what works for us.

Clare

Without turning the discussion into a personal attack, I will reply to your post.

First of all I will list 4 fitness components: speed, stamina, strength and flexibility. Plus Balance.
Endurance==Circuits with high reps Examples: Supercuts, afterburn and Body max (Any of them)
The individual meet the purpose of acquiring or maintaining stamina. Slow twitch come into play.
This meet the "cut" purpose, should there be any muscles. Cut===CATABOLISM

Hypertrophy==Less reps/Heavy lifting 80% Rep max Example ( Muscle Max, STS total there is not that many plus Upcoming RWH), the individual meet speed, strength and flexibility
Yes heavy lifting help in gaining some flexibility. Do not get me wrong...yoga is great though
Fast twitch come into play.
This does trigger production of friendly hormone meeting the building purpose. Endurance does not much. Building===ANABOLISM

I am not going to add any article. There are tons on advantage of Hiit and lifting heavy versus circuit/metabolic.
Should anyone against evidence about cortisol production, please report any dis-impression to sport research regulatory obodies:):):):)
From my experience long steady stuff bring boredom. Do not get me wrong I am not implying LONG steady should not be
done. It is all about training on a balanced rotation basis.

Now Excessive high circuits compared to a reasonable ratio of a rotation covering Endurance, hyperthrophy and strength
is NOT what is suitable to anyone regardless of the body type. High circuit claiming to work for someone from the "claiming aesthetic"
point of view, it is not what I would recommend. I personally would run miles away from a trainer who solely recommend circuit.
I would also run far away from any trainer operating based on what works "best" for her/him :oops::oops::oops:.

To finish my post...
Athletes work extremely hard covering each components regardless of what they love the most.
That is the attitude i would advise anyone, striving for an athletic body, to have.
Just saying!:):)

My post may sound too technical but I could not explain any other way.
Peace everyone

Last edited:
One of my favorite full body premixes is 4DS (Upper and Lower together). My last purchase about a year ago was CTX (Cross Train Express). I bought it for the full upper body, legs and abs on one dvd which makes it really convenient to do a full body workout including abs.

I'm more inclined to reach for thorough workouts that hit each muscle group approximately 3 ways, and that's usually going to be an hour or more for me to feel complete. Nothing has replaced STS for me. I've done several other highly touted systems over the years, but my best results come from STS. Indeed there is always a need for the shorter workout, and the skip/fast forward button works fabulously.

I'm not impressed with the latest research about limiting a workout to a specified time because of theories on cortisol and that its counter-productive in the long run. My take on that is more a lack of sleep and inadequate food/supplement profiles (especially mineral content for women). My best results are from the hour+ full body workout once a week, with 3 (STS splits) throughout the week. Please give us one long, full body, killer premix that includes abs (interspersed is a great suggestion).

I'm also not a fan of shorter workouts. I never could really get into 30 minute systems that seem to be all the rage nowadays. I also can never understand how people can complain about the length of some workouts that fall into the 45-60 minute bracket with excuses such as being too busy and whatnot....I mean you seriously can't take an extra 15-30 minutes out of your day to make time for your health and do something good for your body? I don't mean to offend anyone either but I just don't get it.

I am not a fan of shorter lifting work out. A 30 minutes of Hiit after a pump is my cup of tea ☕ ;-).

I don't understand the "big deal " about 30 minutes sessions. Cathe has been producing tons of premixes for decades. There has always been something for everyone in Cathe collection.

Last edited:
I totally love the idea of an hour+ total body combo. I thought I was the only one who doesn't enjoy these new 30 min. workouts. I always feel the need to add something on after a short workout.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you about preferring longer workouts, but I'm now on the last few weeks of a rotation which has so completely changed my body that I've had to rethink my opinions on workout length. I do 30 minutes weights almost every day. Heavy weights. So heavy that I need to lie down afterwards!!! Each day I also do 30 mins steadystate (fast walking) and 30 mins yoga. A couple of times a week I do a little bit of HiiT. The sessions are dispersed throughout the day - not in one long session. There is no dread, and I give 100% to them all.

I agree with Nathalie, though, - premixes allow you to do whatever length of workout you wish. So, yes, create long total body workouts, but keep making awesome, shorter premixes.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you about preferring longer workouts, but I'm now on the last few weeks of a rotation which has so completely changed my body that I've had to rethink my opinions on workout length. I do 30 minutes weights almost every day. Heavy weights. So heavy that I need to lie down afterwards!!! Each day I also do 30 mins steadystate (fast walking) and 30 mins yoga. A couple of times a week I do a little bit of HiiT. The sessions are dispersed throughout the day - not in one long session. There is no dread, and I give 100% to them all.

I agree with Nathalie, though, - premixes allow you to do whatever length of workout you wish. So, yes, create long total body workouts, but keep making awesome, shorter premixes.

Thanks Justine for sharing your thoughts, " Not in one long session" Could not agree more.
Congratulations on the change you have gained. ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.