Dead Lifts

janiejoey

Cathlete
Cathe,

I'm having problems with good form on dead lifts for the back and dead lifts for the hamstrings. When I do them I sometimes have a sore back, that's an indication to me, that I must be doing them wrong.

Also, is there another exercise that could be substituted for the dead lifts in case I do have a sore back and want to modify the exercise?

Would you demonstrate how to do them each way?

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Hi Cathe - Have you ever considered including the standard deadlift in any of your videos, as opposed to the stiff-legged DL variety? It's such a great functional movement that hits everything. I hope I'm not speaking out turn. :)

Janie- I have trouble with deadlifts also. Cathe went over deadlifts already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpoLV8hdHG4&feature=channel_page

She explained it well, but I still have trouble. I get the stretch in my hamstrings on the way down and I'm making sure to keep my shoulders back, abs tight, but when I pull back up is when I feel it in my lower back and not my glutes. Maybe others can offer some tips.

Thank you for the link, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

Gayle, great suggestion.

Last edited:
- Have you ever considered including the standard deadlift in any of your videos, as opposed to the stiff-legged DL variety?

what's the standard deadlift?

Hi Cathe - Have you ever considered including the standard deadlift in any of your videos, as opposed to the stiff-legged DL variety? It's such a great functional movement that hits everything. I hope I'm not speaking out turn. :)

I've often wondered why people don't use conventional deadlifts in videos.

well, from looking at the picture, i would think the risk of injury would be much higher doing it like that. it would be hard to keep proper form, i would think.
cathy

I have never seen a deadlift done like that! Is it old school?

Tricia

Most definitely old school...good old school! :) It's an exercise that's been around forever, but hardly ever done in a DVD (that I'm aware of). Probably because it's not "sexy" enough. I work out a lot at a college campus and the DL is used a lot by athletes.

I've been going heavy on deadlifts for about the last 6 months, and I've noticed a lot of improvement in my posture and core strength.

In terms of real life, it's exercises like this that keep people strong and independent in their later years.

well, from looking at the picture, i would think the risk of injury would be much higher doing it like that. it would be hard to keep proper form, i would think.
cathy

Actually, if you've ever picked up a laundry basket, small child, or 40# bag of birdseed off the floor at Home Depot, then you've done a standard deadlift. Better to get the form right in the gym, so it's second nature in daily life. ;)

I've often wondered why people don't use conventional deadlifts in videos.
I'm thinking one reason is that most people have 1# barbells instead of the Olympic barbells and plates, and with the smaller barbells and plates, the bar is closer to the ground (and most people can't pick it up safely). One way to make it work is to use step risers to hold the bar up higher off the ground (2-3 risers on each side, with the plates sitting inside the risers).

I have never seen a deadlift done like that! Is it old school?

Tricia
I wouldn't call it old school. It's just a standard deadlift, used by many bodybuilders and weight lifters in the gym all the time. It's also the style used in Olympic weight lifting.

Standard deadlift/Terminology

Hi Everyone,

I just would like to point out that what is refered to (in this thread) as a standard deadlift is what, IMO, cathe call Power deadlift (see STS total body).
Should what I have stated above not proven to be correct, please share some explanations.

This now raise another burning question of mine relating to this topic, what muscles are more worked while doing Quarter deadlift? Deadlift is one my favourite and I would like to do as many variation as possible to gain maximum benefit.

Kind Regards,

xxx

Janie- I have trouble with deadlifts also. Cathe went over deadlifts already: STS - Week 1B - YouTube

She explained it well, but I still have trouble. I get the stretch in my hamstrings on the way down and I'm making sure to keep my shoulders back, abs tight, but when I pull back up is when I feel it in my lower back and not my glutes. Maybe others can offer some tips.

Deadlifts do work the lower back as well as the hamstrings - they can be used as a core conditioning exercise. You may feel it more in your lower back than your hamstrings if your back is weaker. Try to purposely engage your glutes and hamstrings when you come back up.

Stebby

That's were I feel it..back. so how do we get lower back stronger? Just keep doing deadlifts? I know I could go heavier if my lower bavk didn't hurt doing it. I feel it there quick

That's were I feel it..back. so how do we get lower back stronger? Just keep doing deadlifts? I know I could go heavier if my lower bavk didn't hurt doing it. I feel it there quick

How about building up with Supermans? Those would be less stressful to your lower back. You could start out lifting legs only, one leg at a time. When that feels comfortable lift both legs together but stay low. Gradually hold the position for longer, working up to 20-30 seconds. You can also progress by lifting the legs and upper body together (but make sure to keep the head aligned with your body, not looking up or slumping down).

Stebby

Stebby said:
How about building up with Supermans? Those would be less stressful to your lower back. You could start out lifting legs only, one leg at a time. When that feels comfortable lift both legs together but stay low. Gradually hold the position for longer, working up to 20-30 seconds. You can also progress by lifting the legs and upper body together (but make sure to keep the head aligned with your body, not looking up or slumping down).

Stebby

Should I do that instead of dead lifts in her dvds? Like when she does the deadlifts just go down and do Superman or is that in addition like when I'm not " working out"? I don't want to lose any benifits but I do want to be safe...kind of tired of injuries lol. Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.