Dead Lifts

Should I do that instead of dead lifts in her dvds? Like when she does the deadlifts just go down and do Superman or is that in addition like when I'm not " working out"? I don't want to lose any benifits but I do want to be safe...kind of tired of injuries lol. Thanks.

I think that if the deadlifts feel like they are injuring you (that's the impression I have) then you should do something else instead (whether it's Supermans or another exercise). Another potential exercise you could do is something that Cathe suggested as a substitute for deadlifts - hip raises lying on your back with your heels on a stability ball.

I agree - safety is #1!

Stebby

That's were I feel it..back. so how do we get lower back stronger? Just keep doing deadlifts? I know I could go heavier if my lower bavk didn't hurt doing it. I feel it there quick

I have the same problem w/deadlifts because of a recurrent lower back injury/strain. I am not able to do a deadlift w/heavy weights, or what I know I am capable of lifting :(. It sucks.

BUT, you can do them, just use lighter weights and go to your range of motion without straining your back. Keep your shoulder's high (no slouching!) and focus on really activating the hamstring and glute muscles on the way up. Superman's are great for the lower back and hamstring roll-outs on the ball are also a good alternative.

Another trick for deadlifts is to place the front of your feet on barbell plates (the smallest ones you have). You don't need to hold any weights for this. The toes elevated will automatically recruit more muscle fiber's in the hamstrings and glutes without adding unnecessary strain on the low back.

Good luck Renee!

I did deadlifts for several weeks before it clicked... now I love them.

The thing that made them click for me was to think about "squeezing my butt" instead of "standing up". Somehow removing the notion of what I was seeing and focusing instead of really using my legs and feeling my legs tighten somehow helped.

I agree, toes elevated could help you feel where you should feel a stiff-legged deadlift.

Another option rather than supermen for low back is a bird dog-- on hands and knees, elevate one arm and the opposite leg until both are parallel with the ground. It may be more comfortable for you than supermen, and is arguably more functional. Try to keep your shoulders and hips even with the ground.

Hamstring roll-ins with the ball are just evil. :p Give me deadlifts instead, please!! ;)

Hamstring and Inner thigh rolls in

Hamstring roll-ins with the ball are just evil. :p Give me dead lifts instead, please!! ;)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Amy about Hamstring roll-ins and inner thigh rolls in...I would rather do a 20 pounds dumbbell each hand dead lift than a Hamstring rolls in cause it really fries my hamstrings and burn my core! This is a wake up call for more rolls in cause I know I do not do them often :D

Haha I did or tried to do gym style legs and the ball work .. well I laughed and did more rolling trying to get butt up off floor when we were to do roll ins and sqeeze ball btwn the lower legs and lift.. I spend the whole time figuring out how to do the moves more then actuallydoing them. I haven't done it since. I need to try again. I like push pull dvd it is more straight forward to.me.

Standard deadlifts are one of the exercises that my husband has been encouraging me to do. I also have some low back issues so I have to be very careful how I do them. I found that for me, using a trap, or hex bar is better for me than an olympic bar. I decided to get one for home since I the one at the gym was always being used, or was loaded with 500 lbs that I didn't feel like taking off:mad:

It weighs 45 lbs unloaded and I can do 3 sets of 10. I'm going to start adding weight as soon as that feels easy.

Here is a trap bar:

Trap Bar Deadlift

Trap bar

Standard deadlifts are one of the exercises that my husband has been encouraging me to do. I also have some low back issues so I have to be very careful how I do them. I found that for me, using a trap, or hex bar is better for me than an olympic bar. I decided to get one for home since I the one at the gym was always being used, or was loaded with 500 lbs that I didn't feel like taking off:mad:

It weighs 45 lbs unloaded and I can do 3 sets of 10. I'm going to start adding weight as soon as that feels easy.

Here is a trap bar:

Trap Bar Deadlift

To irongrl,

Thanks for sharing this info. I never heard of this!

I do not have issue with my lower back but it's good to know about this equipment/toy :p.

I would consider trying this in the gym going super heavy to avoid stressing the spine. I would consider the use of this equipment as a prevention. Good stuff :):)

Kind Regards,

To irongrl,

Thanks for sharing this info. I never heard of this!

I do not have issue with my lower back but it's good to know about this equipment/toy :p.

I would consider trying this in the gym going super heavy to avoid stressing the spine. I would consider the use of this equipment as a prevention. Good stuff :):)

Kind Regards,

You're welcome! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.