Anyone having trouble with iTunes?

careyben

Cathlete
I've downloaded all three shows on itunes, but I can't get them to play... I've double clicked the heck out of them - like I would any other podcast, but they stubbornly stay untouched.

Ben

me, three (or four?). Seems to get hung while downloading.

I've also had trouble with podcasts I've refreshed (not Cathe TV, obviously) that don't sync to my ipod -- anyone have this problem ever?

-Beth

iTunes

YES!!!!! I was just coming here to post!!! I've been sitting here ALL NIGHT LONG. The episodes keep cycling and cycling and cycling thru the download process... and then, of course, won't synchronize w/my device..... and I don't see a number in the right corner (the one that indicates # of podcasts)..... ARGH!!! :confused: I'm relieved it's not a problem on my end! *sighs* There's a bug that needs a fixin' somewhere, I reckon.

I managed to download all three episodes to iTunes and iPhone (via iTunes on the iPhone). They play ok on the iPhone - haven't checked iTunes. Still when I tried to drag-and-drop the clips from iTunes to my iPhone only the 1st one copied; the other two could not could not be copied and a message came up that they could not be played on iPhone. Hmmmm....

Chris.

iTunes problems

We have worked through the troubleshooting here with the errors that are cropping up with iTunes downloads and have come up with this checklist to help you resolve the more common issues. Please work through the list; on machines that we have here in our offices that were having similar problems to yours, working through the list got each one to function successfully.

1. Make sure that you have the most recent version of iTunes. You can do this by going to the “iTunes” menu in the Mac version or “Help” menu in the Windows version and choosing “Check for Updates.” If this doesn’t successfully check, download and install the current version (8.02 as of this writing), you can download the current version manually at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

2. After installation, launch iTunes and click on “Podcasts” under “Library” in the left column of the main iTunes window. If you see “CatheTV” listed there (with or without episodes below it), right click (or control-click on the Mac) on “CatheTV”, and choose “Delete” from the pop-up menu. Confirm that you want to remove and/or move the items to the trash/recycle bin. You should no longer see a subscription to CatheTV in your podcast list.

3. Quit iTunes then re-launch it (don’t skip this step!)

4. Click on “iTunes Store” under the “Store” menu on the left column of the main iTunes window, then click the “Home” icon at the top left of the iTunes window (icon looks like a house). Don’t skip this, especially if the CatheTV window was already on your iTunes Store screen when you launched iTunes!

5. Next, type “CatheTV” into the “Search iTunes Store” box in the upper right corner of the main window. In the “Podcasts” area of the Search Results window, you should see the CatheTV icon and basic information. Click on “CatheTV” and it will take you to the CatheTV Podcasts page.

6. At this point, you should be able to: 1) double-click the name of the episode and it will open in that window or another window and play (depends on how you have iTunes preferences set); 2) click on the “Get Episode” buttons to the far right to manually download them into your “Podcasts” area of your Library; and 3) Click on “Subscribe” next to the big CatheTV icon to automatically have future episodes download and place previous episodes into your “Podcasts” area of your library for manual download (you’ll have to click “Get” on each existing episode to download them).

7. The above steps solved the problems for us here (which were all caused by the individual computers; we have run diagnostic software on our RSS feed to iTunes and our servers and all are functioning optimally), but if you are still having problems downloading episodes, you may have to look further into things such as:
o Is your antivirus software allowing iTunes to download podcasts?
o Is your firewall allowing iTunes access to the correct port to download?
o Are you going through a proxy server? If so, you may need to let updates propagate to it in order to successfully download the episodes.

These problems are all common with podcasts, as they work differently than content in the iTunes store that you purchase (iTunes hosts everything on its own servers that you can purchase whereas podcasts are hosted by the podcasters; iTunes merely provides a link to the files).

We hope that our suggestions solve your problems, but if you are still having issues, please write back to the forums and we will try to help you out on an individual basis. Thanks for being on the “cutting edge” with us as we work through the growing pains!

I tried everything you mentioned here, and it is still not working. It looks as if it's downloading, and sometimes it seems to finish normally (other times I get an error), but there is no file to click on, and there is an exclamation point in the left hand column indicating an error. When I click on it, the error says "There was a problem downloading CatheTV Episode 2 (or 1 or 3). The network connection timed out."

I have downloaded several other podcasts with no problem. In fact, I downloaded another video podcast from somewhere else just this afternoon to see if it would work, and it worked fine. I am only having problems with the CatheTV downloads.

The problem I'm having with iTunes is that it's downloading the episodes, but when I go into my library it shows them in grey, as episodes to be downloaded. And when I click on them, they start the download process all over again. I do have iTunes 8.02, so that doesn't appear to be the issue for me. Any ideas, SNM?

Sandra

I'm not SNM

But, if you do a search for the file can you see it? Have you tried just double clicking on the file? It may automatically open in iTunes.

Although all episodes show a .mov file extension, while opening them with Quicktime it pops up a message: "This is not a movie file" but VLC plays them just fine...

Chris.

Ok... here's what you can do while SNM fixes the iTunes/Quicktime problem.

All of CatheTV clips you downloaded can be located in Music-->iTunes-->iTunes Music-->Podcasts-->CatheTV (or you can simply right-click on the clip you want to watch and select "Show In Finder").

You can watch all clips using VLC player (download at www.videolan.org/vlc/). The VLC player, in case you don't have it already, can play almost any kind of media (including movie subtitles).

HTH,

Chris.

I was able to successfully download the shows after following SNM's directions, however the episodes will not play. When I double-click or highlight the episode & click the play button, nothing happens. I tried opening the file itself with quicktime & get a error message saying that quicktime does not understand ".mov files" I notice that all my other video podcasts are .m4v files. Maybe these need to be in .m4v format to work on Itunes/quicken?

Just reporting the same error -- I have followed SNM's instructions; I have no trouble downloading all 5 episodes; GET THIS -- they uploaded and play perfectly on my iPod (which is 2 generations old); but they will not play on my 6-month-old iMac. Waaah. :p

They won't play

on my Macbook pro either. I tried dragging the file to the desktop and double clicking and nothing, and it won't even copy either. Weird. SNM you guys have a problem with those files. There is nothing wrong with my computer. I wonder if its some weird copy protection.

Still Unable to Play Files

Hi-

I have tried several times to get the episodes to play on my iPod. I am having all of the same problems that others described above. Could you please check into what we need to do to get the files to play on an iPod (they will not even transfer from iTunes to the iPod)?

Thank you

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.