pre & post workout meals

Autumn68

Cathlete
I have been alternating protein bar & whey shake for pre workout meal, and don't eat until lunch after the workout (which is usually not long behind)
I was looking for other idea's that will be good for quick digestion for pre AM workouts.
Thanks.

Kinda confused...is your workout during lunch? or midmorning? Do you eat breakfast and then do you eat lunch after your workout? Do you have a midmorning snack?

I really find that 1/2 a banana is quick digesting and gives me an energy blast if I need it before my workout.

Be sure what you eat is very quick digesting and small if your workout consists of alot of cardio because you run the risk of just burning off what you take in beforehand rather than extra calories.

Hope that helps somewhat, I wanted to make sure I had the details correct before I gave too much advice.

I'm not working now, but hopefully will be shortly. Now I workout around 10am for @ 2 hours. So then I can eat lunch after I shower and do a few things. So I've been having whey or a protein bar for breakfast before my w/o.
Once I'm working I'd like to sqeeze in a 30 min w/o in the am and I'll need to have something before and after. b/c I'd need to get to work and I'm not a morning person, so it would have to be quick. A banana & egg is a good idea to eat quick before I leave for work.
Autumn.

Well, for now depending on if your breakfast is around 7 or 8, I would eat a little more than just a bar or a shake. I would make some eggs and oatmeal or some fruit and then do your 10am workout and then have the protein shake and a banana afterwards for lunch or you can use this time to have a little fun since your muscles are highly depleted after 2 hours so you are free to eat a bit of pasta, or a burger with whole wheat bun or some whole grain pancakes or something. After a long hard workout is your "window of oppurtunity" to eat a little quicker digesting foods, which helps to aid in recovery, building muscle and burning fat. Stay away from anything too fattening after your workouts, as fat is slow digesting, but enjoy about 50-60g of carbs and about 20-30g of protein.
Once you start back to work, and do a 30 min workout, your body won't be quite as depleting so just a light snack before and after will be all you really need, like the banana and egg idea....:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.