Stevia Simple Syrup

hriacobacci

Cathlete
For those of you who use stevia - have you ever made a simple syrup with it? I found this bit of info and was curious if anyone had tried it:

You can also make your own stevia simple syrup by adding a cup of warm water to 1/4 cup of fresh, finely-crushed stevia leaves. This mixture should set for 24 hours and then be refrigerated. It works perfectly for sweetening beverages.

Heather

Heather, where can one by Stevia Leafs? I use Stevia but in powder form. I've never seen the leafs.

Thanks,

Alexandra

For those of you who use stevia - have you ever made a simple syrup with it? I found this bit of info and was curious if anyone had tried it:

You can also make your own stevia simple syrup by adding a cup of warm water to 1/4 cup of fresh, finely-crushed stevia leaves. This mixture should set for 24 hours and then be refrigerated. It works perfectly for sweetening beverages.

Heather

Not sure where you can buy just leaves. I think you'd have to grow a plant yourself. Though, maybe some Farmers' Markets might possibly sell it... My mom used to have a plant and she'd just dry the leaves and crumble into tea or whatever she wanted to sweeten. Unfortunately, now that I want the leaves myself, she isn't growing it. Figures huh?!

Heather

Heather, where can one by Stevia Leafs? I use Stevia but in powder form. I've never seen the leafs.

Thanks,

Alexandra

Now, I'm curious to know what the benefit would be of making a syrup out of the stevia and using it to sweeten beverages? What would the motivation be to making that (especially if you're making it out of the powder), as opposed to just adding some of the powder to a drink to sweeten? I've always just added the powdered stevia to my drinks and have been happy with that. I could see the benefit of making a syrup for those who grow their own leaves. I do love my stevia though, and would consider trying a different way to use it.

I have seen drink recipes that call for simple syrups to make them thicker. I was just thinking that stevia simple syrup would be a whole lot healthier as a sweetener than plain simple syrup.

Heather

This gives me an idea of what to do with my stevia plants (I bought two this year). I think I'll blend the leaves and water in a blender, then let sit, then strain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.