No-Gluten Pizza crust

fit44

Cathlete
I tried this recipe I found on T-Nation and really liked it so I wanted to share:)

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_o...ity_recipe/food_friday_glutenfree_pizza_crust

The Stuff

2 cups of shredded cheese (part skim or low-fat to reduce calories)
3 omega-3 eggs such as Egglands Best (or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters)
2 tablespoons of coconut flour
2 tablespoons of milled flax seed (flax meal)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Putting It All Together

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix all the ingredients together until "dough" forms.

3. Form into a ball and plop it onto some parchment paper. Flatten into pizza shape and move to pizza pan (parchment paper and all.)

4. Bake for 15 minutes or so, flip, then bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until it's as golden brown as you like it.

5. Add pizza toppings, set oven to broil, and put it back in for a couple of minutes just to melt everything together.

Tips

* Once you get the base recipe down, start playing around with it by adding various herbs. My favorite is a combo of rosemary, garlic powder, and mustard powder.
74853_176862778994770_100000131461294_664959_1727313_n.jpg

Here is the crust used with a breakfast pizza recipe-

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_o...ding_velocity_recipe/ultimate_breakfast_pizza

Ingredients

Crust:

2 cups of shredded cheese (part skim or fat-free to reduce calories)
3 omega-3 eggs such as Egglands Best (or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters or egg whites)
2 tablespoons of coconut flour
2 tablespoons of milled flax seed (flax meal)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Sauce:

4 egg yolks from omega-3 eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup of omega-3 Smart Balance butter (1 stick), melted
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Pinch of sea salt

Toppings:

Extra lean pork or turkey sausage (raw, tube style)
Turkey bacon
Handful of shredded cheese of choice
The whites from the 4 egg yolks
Pam or spray olive oil

Putting It All Together

Step #1

Make the flax and coconut flour crust

Step #2

As the crust is baking, pre-brown your pork or turkey sausage in a pan (use the spray olive oil), chopping it as it cooks. Also, cook your bacon. Set both aside.

Step #3

Now it's time to make the sauce, which is a hollandaise sauce you'd normally find poured over eggs Benedict.

First, grab your eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Put yolks in a stainless bowl and add the lemon juice. Whisk vigorously (or use a mixer) until it thickens.

Now place the bowl over a pot of simmering water
Don't let the water touch the bottom of the bowl or get too hot or you'll scramble the yolks. Whisk rapidly.

Now slowly drizzle in the melted butter and keep whisking until it thickens and doubles in volume. Remove from heat and add cayenne and salt. Cover and keep warm until needed.

Step #4

Scramble the leftover egg whites.

Step #5

When your crust is done, remove from oven and set to broil. Add a layer of the sauce to crust and the rest of your toppings. I like to save a little hollandaise to drizzle over the top too. Return to oven to melt everything together (3-5 minutes).

Step #6

Eat up.
76915_177404878940560_100000131461294_668664_4167224_n.jpg

sounds great. will need to keep my eye out for coconut flour. i have made a pizza crust w/ polenta which wasn't too bad and one w/ cauliflower & not bad either. it definitely takes some tweaking to get these recipes the way you want them!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.