Question on Double Wave Loading

L Sass

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. The newest Meso2 clips look fab! I do have a quick question though. What exactly is the difference between double wave loading and pyramiding? As it's explained in the narrative for the last clip it sounds like the concept used in your PUB/PLB. Is the concept any different?

Hi Cathe. The newest Meso2 clips look fab! I do have a quick question though. What exactly is the difference between double wave loading and pyramiding? As it's explained in the narrative for the last clip it sounds like the concept used in your PUB/PLB. Is the concept any different?

How are you Lorrie?

Yes, I can see where it can be a little confusing because there are definitely some similarities but differences too. Ok, let me take a shot at explaining this.

The Pyramiding Method can mean many different things nowadays, but perhaps the two most popular pyramiding techniques are “Pyramid Up” and “Pyramid Down” (also known as reverse pyramiding). When doing “Pyramid Up” you do multiple sets and increase your weight and decrease your reps with each set. With “Pyramid Down” you start at your highest weight and then with each set you decease your weight and increase your reps.

As far as Double Wave Loading, there are also many ways of doing this too. Double wave loading was developed in an attempt to improve upon the Pyramiding concept. As I mentioned in the latest blog update when you do a Double Wave Load in STS you select a weight that is only 70% of your one rep max for your first set (in this case 12 reps). Then increase your weight by 5% for each of the next two sets (75% for 10 reps and then 80% for 8 reps). You will repeat this pattern twice for each exercise, thus, the name "Double Wave Load".

The Double Wave Load Works because part of lifting is physical and part is neurological. By increasing your weights and decreasing your reps for each of the first three sets you're following the classical Pyramid-Up approach, but then we do something different than we would not normally do in a Pyramid workout. We go back immediately to lifting our lightest weight right after just lifting our heaviest weight. This is where the neurological part of strength training comes into play. By lifting your heaviest weight just before going to your lightest weight you trick your body’s muscles into activating more muscle fibers even though you’re lifting a lighter weight on that next set (the same weight as you lifted for your very first set). So even though you are lifting lighter weight on that set, you are receiving the benefits of lifting heavier weight.

The overall goal of Wave Loading and Double Wave Loading is to activate more muscle fibers .....remember, the more muscle fibers you activate, the more weight you can lift, and the better your results will be.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
That helps TREMENDOUSLY!!!! Thanks so much for that clear explanation and the time you took to give it! Can't wait to feel that double wave load! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.