I'll be passing on these new DVD's

Olivia

Cathlete
Well, I think that Cathe has become to advanced for me, I have been doing Cathe plus other workouts for many years, but with every new DVD the workouts get more killer and for me personally I don't want to do that anymore, I don't want the dread factor when I come to workout, a challenge yes, but not to the point were it's just too hard for me.

Looks to me like in the future I won't be doing anymore of Cathe's new DVD's, I'm almost 50 (can't believe I wrote that)and I just can't do these killer workouts anymore.

Good luck to you all, so many of you are very excited.

Olivia :)

HI Olivia,

Funny,before 4DS, I felt the same way....the workouts had become SOOO long and inefficient that even Cathe herself was injured...too much overuse, too long cardio ....then came 4ds - and STS seems like they will be shorter but more effective....keep an eye open - I'm closer to 50 than 45 myself and I'm going to give it a try!

Olivia, I'll be 53 in May and I'm totally PSYCHED about STS. Oh, I know what you mean about the dread factor with workouts, and no matter how hard I try I can't power through Cathe's high impact or complicated cardio, but her strength workouts are my most used DVD's. If there's something I can't do I simply modify it.

The thing that is attractive to me about STS is that once we calculate our 1 rep max, each of us will be working at our own level. And please don't let your age be a factor. I feel quite the opposite -- the older I get the more value I see in heavy lifting. I had my bone scan last year and I'll thank Cathe for my great bone density!! ;)

Olivia -

I respect your opinion fully! And I respect you for being courageous enought to stand up at these forums and be so honest.

I have a friend I ride with and she used to do all kinds of crazy hard things to keep fit and then she told me one day she just asked herself, "Why am I killing myself when I can find other ways to stay fit? I'm not even having any fun anymore."

I think we Cathletes sometimes go at our fitness like a dog on a bone. And I hope no one takes offense at that statement because it is truly meant to be a compliment - you know, make a goal and go after it with all the gusto you can manage.

However, I also think some time spent self-reflecting is a good thing. Only you know what is best for you. I wouldn't think you any less of an athlete no matter what you decide to do fitness-wise.

You go girl!

Susan L.G.

Olivia, I'll be 53 in July and I could have written Michele's post in every way, except that on MY first bone density scan several years ago I discovered I already had osteopenia (probably from years of asthma meds). I was put on extra calcium plus Fosamax and immediately discovered I was horrible about remembering to take the Fosamax. But I amped up my weight-bearing exercise a lot using Cathe's strength workouts, and the "recovery" of my bones has really amazed my doctor.

I understand about some workouts creating a sense of dread. Been there, done that. But what saddens and concerns me about your post is that I hear you saying you already think you can't do STS, Olivia, and that you're deciding to pass on everything Cathe creates -- especially her strength work -- mostly because you're coming up on 50. Gosh, don't do that to yourself. For women as fit and strong as we are, 50 is literally just a number. I can guarantee you right now that on Day One after your 50th birthday you will feel precisely the same as you did on the last day you were 49. :)

Even though it is undoubtedly going to challenge us all, STS doesn't have to come loaded with a dread factor because, as Michele said, we'll perform at the level that's right for each one of us. And I really am expecting that STS will help me take my own strength and bone health to whole new levels of fabulous. So I'm just urging you to think twice about that opportunity to do something great for yourself before you give up the ghost.

As for the cardio stuff -- We do need to be sensible about taking care of our joints as we age. But all that means, as Michele says, is that we modify the higher impact stuff. If the choreography is too complex for you, that can be simplified, too. Cathe's cardio workouts can be fun for us for many years to come, as long as we remember that it's not essential to do every step, leap and plyo move that she does.

Don't give up on Cathe, girl! You aren't done yet!!!!!! ;-)

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

>>The thing that is attractive to me about STS is that once we calculate our 1 rep max, each of us will be working at our own level. And please don't let your age be a factor. I feel quite the opposite -- the older I get the more value I see in heavy lifting.<<

ITA!!! The older I get (I'm 60), the more I need weight training.

I'm seeing great results from Cathe's weight training workouts. I do have to modify cardio by using a 4" step and taking out most of the impact, but weight training is where it's at for me these days, and Cathe is simply the best there is.

Redeye, aside from the fact that ITA with you -- I LOVE your sig line -- Don't squat with yer spurs on -- Hahahaha!! That is really funny! :7

Susan L.G.!

What a beautifully worded post to Olivia! Wise words, wise words!

Olivia, I mean no disrespect to your feelings at all by my post -- I just want to reassure you about what it feels like to be a Cathe-ite with creaky knees on the back side of 50. ;-) I'm very glad that you feel comfy to come here and voice your feelings with us, and I really do hope that you'll find lots of reasons to stick around. :)

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

RE: Susan L.G.!

>What a beautifully worded post to Olivia! Wise words, wise
>words!
>
>Olivia, I mean no disrespect to your feelings at all by my
>post -- I just want to reassure you about what it feels like
>to be a Cathe-ite with creaky knees on the back side of 50.
>;-) I'm very glad that you feel comfy to come here and voice
>your feelings with us, and I really do hope that you'll find
>lots of reasons to stick around. :)
>
>http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif
>Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

Ditto what Kathy said! My comments where in no way intended to be disrespectful of your feelings. :)

>I understand about some workouts creating a sense of dread.
>Been there, done that. But what saddens and concerns me about
>your post is that I hear you saying you already think you
>can't do STS, Olivia, and that you're deciding to pass
>on everything Cathe creates -- especially her strength work --
>mostly because you're coming up on 50. Gosh, don't do
>that to yourself. For women as fit and strong as we are, 50
>is literally just a number. I can guarantee you right now that
>on Day One after your 50th birthday you will feel precisely
>the same as you did on the last day you were 49. :)
>
>Even though it is undoubtedly going to challenge us all, STS
>doesn't have to come loaded with a dread factor because, as
>Michele said, we'll perform at the level that's right for each
>one of us. And I really am expecting that STS will
>help me take my own strength and bone health to whole new
>levels of fabulous. So I'm just urging you to think twice
>about that opportunity to do something great for yourself
>before you give up the ghost.
>
>As for the cardio stuff -- We do need to be sensible about
>taking care of our joints as we age. But all that means, as
>Michele says, is that we modify the higher impact stuff. If
>the choreography is too complex for you, that can be
>simplified, too. Cathe's cardio workouts can be fun for us
>for many years to come, as long as we remember that it's not
>essential to do every step, leap and plyo move that she does.

Since Kathy said beautifully everything I was thinking, I'll let her words speak for me as well.

;-)

I, also, ditto what Kathy S. has said in her posts. I, too, will be 53 this year - which means I need strength training just as much if not more than before. I think STS will be a great variety of not the same old same old.

I encourage you as Kathy did. do not totally give up on Cathe's strength training DVD's.

Yeah, I always say 1955 was THE year. I always kid my husband because he was born in 1956 - I let him know that that was the best year around! It is good to see so many of us born in the same year!

Cheryl

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I find each of you inspiring. I'm 23 and I aspire to be able to workout twenty years from now. I have always made it a priority, but I just hope that as life gets rolling (job, kids) that I will still be able to do it. The fact that you ladies make it happen in your 40's, 50's, and 60's is great! All I can say is that your outlook on fitness is refreshing!

Hello Cheryl,
This is Heather. The one you so graciously gave all your old VHS Cathe workouts to many years ago. I saw your post and just wanted to thank you again for you generousity. I am still working out with Cathe. I pre-order all her workouts to get the best deal and because I know that once I start reading the reviews I will just have to order them.
To all you older ladies, like myself--I will be 47 this year, "Never give up--Never surrender!" I feel more alive and am healthier today than I did in my twenties. I have been faithfuly working out with Cathe for the last seven months. For 2 years before that I got lost in the day to day business of life and didn't think I had time to work out. Last August I was so tired with everything. I took a nap every afternoon and dreaded getting out of bed in the morning.
Today I am 20 pounds lighter--115 pounds and I am 5'5". I wear a size 4. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I coud wear a size 4. I workout every day except Saturday. I have to make myself take that day off. And I have muscles. And I have energy. I never take a nap and I can't wait to get up in the morning and get to my Cathe workout. Well, maybe not every morning--but most mornings.
I know as I get older I will probably have to modify workouts and that is okay. But I will not quit because I know the alternative. I listen to my body and I take it easy when I need to.
As for the STS series-I am looking forward to what I can do and the results I can get with the weights that I can lift. I know there will be lots of you who will outlift me and that is okay. I am only going to do the best I can and see what happens. I look at every new series as an adventure. And I am going to enjoy every workout and not compare myself to anyone else.
And Cheryl, you posted that your husband was born in 1956. Well, my husband was born in 1956, too! That was a VERY GOOD year, indeed!
God bless you all,
Sorry to carry on so long.
I am just so excited about this adventure we are on together--we are truly "fearfully and wonderfully made".
Heather

>HI Olivia,
>
>Funny,before 4DS, I felt the same way....the workouts had
>become SOOO long and inefficient that even Cathe herself was
>injured...too much overuse, too long cardio ....then came 4ds
>- and STS seems like they will be shorter but more
>effective....keep an eye open - I'm closer to 50 than 45
>myself and I'm going to give it a try!

Hmmmm, so Cathe stated that this was the cause of her injury?
Angela
Edited to say, I'm asking b/c I don't remember Cathe stating this but I could be very wrong!:)

Heather and Cheryl!

Heather, great to see you here and to see that all's going so well with you! Fantastic news on your weight loss and fitness gains!!

Cheryl, you continue to inspire me, girl. I cannot imagine the stamina and energy that YOUR life's adventure in motherhood has required!

And I wanted to let you both know that my hubby, too, was born in 1956. Cheryl, you and I are such cradle-robbing old coots. ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.