Helping you understand STS

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I am noticing that there is still a bit of confusion surrounding the STS program and also that many are still viewing the series as a bit complicated and perhaps overwhelming. I am just wondering if I, or even Chris, are failing to explain anything properly. The only reason I ask is because I am THE LAST person who will touch a complicated program. I won't go near anything that I have to read at length to "get it". So doing these rehearsals and feeling the ease at which the routines flow, the soreness they are producing, and the muscle recruitment of the various applied techniques, I can't help but feel the need to let you know how uncomplicated, yet very effective, this system is.

All you have to do is find your one rep max...that’s it!

And if you don't want to use an online rep max calculator, simply pick up a weight that makes you say "hmmm, I don't know about that weight" and try to lift it 10 times. If you keep good form while turning all funny shades of red and say things I can't type here...you found your weight. But if you are losing your form and not even getting 8 reps out of that weight its too heavy. On the other hand if you are getting 15 reps like a breeze, do yourself a favor and load up!!

Also, I noticed that many people are feeling the sound of 37 DVD's is just too many workouts, when in essence it is no different than the 10 to 12 original DVD's we were going to make. Those 10 to 12 were just going to contain the EXACT SAME premixes that we have now chosen to put on individual discs. Yes, it is more discs, but this is actually done to simplify things by not having to use dual layer discs (which sometimes causes frustrating glitches) and the ability to let you mix and match more freely if you choose to do the program outside of the structured STS format. Plus we can edit the program much faster and better by doing it this way and the quality of each program will be superior to what we could do with a premix. We will keep the 37 discs in handy compact cases so that you don't have them scattered and separated on your shelf.

Here is how the program works:

MESOCYCLE #1 - Muscle Endurance (60% to 70% of 1RM)… In this phase the workouts will feel similar in nature (yet totally different format) to our other muscle endurance type workouts...working with higher reps ( 15 reps or more)....Here is where we burn calories, develop muscular endurance for long term activities, build stamina, and condition the joints, tissues, tendons for the next phase.....let the soreness begin }(

#1 Week ONE/Day One...(Chest, Shoulders & Biceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 1
At Least A Day Off In Between
#2 Week ONE/Day Two.... (Back & Triceps)- Workout number 2
#3 Week ONE/Day Three... (Legs)- Workout Number 3

#4 WEEK TWO/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Biceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 4
#5 Week TWO/Day Two.... (Back & Triceps)- Workout number 5
#6 Week TWO/Day Three... (Legs)- Workout Number 6

#7 Week THREE/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Biceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 7
#8 Week THREE/Day Two.... (Back & Triceps)- Workout number 8
#9 Week THREE/Day Three... (Legs)- Workout Number 9

#10 Week FOUR/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Biceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 10
#11 Week FOUR/Day Two.... (Back & Triceps)- Workout number 11
#12 Week FOUR/Day Three... (Legs)- Workout Number 12

(((((Active Recovery - Take one week off and do light activities))))))

MESOCYCLE #2 Hypertrophy (70% to 80% of 1RM)...here is where we build LEAN muscle mass, break plateus, define our muscles, stimulate our metabolism....these workouts will feel similar to our Gym Style Workouts in lifting nature except with a whole new approach, various techniques, and slightly less reps (8reps to 12 reps)

#13 Week ONE/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Triceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 13
#14 Week ONE/Day Two.... (Legs)-Workout number 14
#15 Week ONE/Day Three... (Back & Biceps)-Workout Number 15

#16 Week TWO/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Triceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 16
#17 Week TWO/Day Two.... (Legs)-Workout number 17
#18 Week TWO/Day Three... (Back & Biceps)-Workout Number 18

#19 Week THREE/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Triceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 19
#20 Week THREE/Day Two.... (Legs)-Workout number 20
#21 Week THREE/Day Three... (Back & Biceps)-Workout Number 21

#22 Week FOUR/Day One... (Chest, Shoulders & Triceps)-Pull Out Workout Number 22
#23 Week FOUR/Day Two.... (Legs)-Workout number 23
#24 Week FOUR/Day Three... (Back & Biceps)-Workout Number 24

(((((Take one week off and do light activities))))))

MESOCYCLE # 3....Strength (80% to 90% of 1RM)…here you will do the least reps of all (6reps to 8 reps)…and really challenge the muscle to get stronger. Your body will burn more total fat, even at rest, because you have now increased your lean muscle mass, especially in Meso #2, and overall strength.

#25 Week ONE/Day One... (Chest & Back)-Pull out Workout Number 25
#26 Week ONE/Day Two.... (Legs & Shoulders)-Workout number 26
#27 Week ONE/Day Three... (Biceps & Triceps)-Workout Number 27

#28 Week TWO/Day One... (Chest & Back)-Pull Out Workout Number 28
#29 Week TWO/Day Two.... (Legs & Shoulders)-Workout number 29
#30 Week TWO/Day Three... (Biceps & Triceps)-Workout Number 30

#31 Week THREE/Day One... (Chest & Back)-Pull Out Workout Number 31
#32 Week THREE/Day Two.... (Legs & Shoulders)-Workout number 32
#33 Week THREE/Day Three... (Biceps & Triceps)-Workout Number 33

#34 Week FOUR/Day One... (Chest & Back)-Pull Out Workout Number 34
#35 Week FOUR/Day Two.... (Legs & Shoulders)-Workout number 35
#36 Week FOUR/Day Three... (Biceps & Triceps)-Workout Number 36

The final DVD is Ab Circuits and you can do Ab/core workouts two to three times per week. Two times if using weight with the Ab workout, three times if using no weight. Ab Circuits will be a separate DVD for you to do on times/days that work for you. Remember this will be a 60 minute DVD consisting of six, 10 minute ab/core workouts mixing both traditional and non-traditional exercises within each workout.

We will also be making cardio suggestions for STS. We will provide recommendations for various days, various durations, various types and various intensities. Though I personally prefer that you do cardio on separate days (or at the very least at a different time of the weight day) it is still acceptable to do both on the same day. I realize everyone needs to find the best way to fit their workout routine into their busy lifestyle. We will also include recommendations of things to do during your rest weeks.

While this may look like a lot of words on paper…this is the whole program laid out right before you. Please ask if you have any further questions.

Thanks Everyone
:)

Aw, maaan. Now this really looks good. This is crystal clear, well explained, and sounds aweomse. Now I'm really going to have to buy it! jeez (but I am excited)

Cathe,

I pre-ordered the first day...I wasn't the first order though ;( Thank you for clarifying! I'm sure you answered most questions that have been thrown your way! You are the BEST!

Cathe, question for you ...

If I lifted STS on MWF with the leg workout on W or F, would it be ok to include another day of legs, say Butts&Guts, LL, L&G, etc. on Sunday? Or would this defeat the work done during the week? TIA, Deb

Cathe - Thanks for the explanation - it does help. However, there is no one I would trust more with my fitness than you - so, I just ordered and am waiting patiently for the good day when it gets here!!! :)

Thanks for putting this program together...

Lynn

Thanks so much, Cathe, for the detailed explanation! I ordered the first day, but it's so great to have all this extra info! Of course, now it makes it even harder to wait!!;-)

This sounds really great, but my only concern is that "legs" are my least favorite workouts because of muscle pain and knee pain issues. (I don't know if it's age or the effects of the medication I'm on.) If I do squats and lunges, I don't use weights anymore, or at least not as much as Cathe does. I've been concentrating on upper body workouts such as Gym Styles and 4 Day Split and that's why the "push" to challenge my muscles with STS sounds so appealing. I do like to do step workouts which give my legs a workout. I don't know if I want to spend the money if I'm "scared" of the leg workout part of it. I wish you could just purchase the upper body part. I've got a $50 gift card from Christmas to use and I've been putting off ordering because I can't decide. Guess I'll keep on thinking about it!

Cathe, This sounds great! So excited, was wondering what kind of chin up bar I would need and how intense my cardio is going to need to be on Tues/Thurs off days? Way excited to find out my 1RM!! I hate to jog but love all your dvds and have plenty to choose from. Also, do you have a fitness camp for people to come to?

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your post has really built up my excitement! I ordered on the first day too and am anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. I can't wait to get started on it! Thanks for putting this program together. It is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks Cathe for the very thorough explanation. I pre-ordered the first day because I had no doubt this would be another great series but this makes me even more excited and does help to make me understand this method. (I admit I was a bit confused HOW it would be laid out.) Now, I understand the concept. I love the fact that you just grab the next DVD in line....Good Luck with practices. I can't wait to hear about/see the new cast members and excited to see the normal cast back! Have FUN and enjoy this time...you all are the BEST!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Thank you (and Chris) for taking the time to explain things on the forums. It definitely is much simpler than I thought it would be. I too preordered the first day and can't wait for the new workouts. Good luck w/ everything.

:) Thanks Cathe,
This is just as I thought. Excellent plan and I'm excited to get involved. Thank you for all you do and your positive approach to everything.

I wasn't going to pre-order because I was one of the people that thought it was so complicated but now it seems so simple.

Hmmm - I may have to re-think things and pre-order.

Cathe,

I preordered the first day and understand the way STS works but I just think it is so over and above of you to do this! You are so sweet! I am sooo looking forward to STS:7 }( Good Luck with everything!

Deanie

I pre-ordered the first day as well -- all you had to say was "periodization" and I was all over it. I studied exercise physiology in college and this topic was so interesting and fun -- even with all my current Cathe workouts and my own workouts, that's how I cycle my rotations. It's like athletes with a training phase and a competing phase -- and of course there are periods of "active rest" -- that's how athletes get in such good shape without burning out and injuring themselves.

I am so looking forward to this program!

Charlene

Hi Cathe,

Thank you for the detailed description of the STS system. I better understand it now.

I am also happy, very happy to hear you plan to do an STS cardio series.

I prefer cardio to weight workouts, so I am so glad to hear your cardio plans.

Thanks again and my best to you and your crew!

Cheers!

Amy

Will the STS Cardio program be as extensive as STS? Will it have as many DVDs or have a similar cost as STS? Will it be available this year?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.