Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

 

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set

This is a discussion on Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Previously, I had posted a question on the forum, as I would like to invest in a set of barbell ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
ilovefitness's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Question Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set

Previously, I had posted a question on the forum, as I would like to invest in a set of barbell for home gym use. Sometimes I go to the gym to do Cathe's workout using heavier barbell weights.

I did a search and found that most Cathletes seem to like Troy Lite Barbell Set. However, the search yielded posts dated several years back.

Now Troy Lite Barbell Set seems to come with 40lbs. I think it's a bit too light for me for even home gym use and for STS.

I am wondering if someone could give me some feedback as to:

1) How much max weight can you load onto this new Troy Lite Barbell set?
2) The new Troy Lite plates now are grip plates, which I like. The plates are also rubber-plated. However, are the plates cement plates?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM
marazoe's Avatar
Cathlete
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,095
Default

http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

This is where I purchased my Troy Lite set. It says it holds 80 lbs. I don't know what the weights are made of on the inside. This place is the most reasonably priced that I found.

Jean
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
NancyAZ's Avatar
Cathlete
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,333
Default

The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.
__________________
Nancy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM
ilovefitness's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marazoe View Post
http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

This is where I purchased my Troy Lite set. It says it holds 80 lbs. I don't know what the weights are made of on the inside. This place is the most reasonably priced that I found.

Jean
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the link. I will contact them for details.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM
ilovefitness's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyAZ View Post
The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if my local Target has those Reebok plates. I will have to go take a look around at end of January.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
NancyAZ's Avatar
Cathlete
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,333
Default

Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.
__________________
Nancy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
missyt's Avatar
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,325
Default

Troy Barbell Lite Workout Set | Wayfair

Here is a link for them also...I think it was $128. free shipping!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM
ilovefitness's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Smile Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyAZ View Post
Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks again. For home gym use, I think 80lb max for Troy Lite sounds good. I feel more comfortable and prefer using heavier weights on barbell in the gym setting.

I know the bar weighs only 5 lbs, which is great. How does the grip feel and also how does the bar feel on the shoulders? Do you buy a pad to go with the bar too?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM
ilovefitness's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 38
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyt View Post
Troy Barbell Lite Workout Set | Wayfair

Here is a link for them also...I think it was $128. free shipping!
Thank you for the link. I noticed that in Wayfair, Troy Lite set they sell is SKU #: TBT1290 | Part #: TLW-40G. The one in fitness1st.com is TLS045.

I am wondering if it's the same set. I think I need to do some more digging to see what is the difference.

Thanks for your tip.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Copyright ©1997-2013 Cathe dot Com