Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set

This is a discussion on Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Previously, I had posted a question on the forum, as I would like to invest in a set of barbell ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM

Question Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set

Previously, I had posted a question on the forum, as I would like to invest in a set of barbell for home gym use. Sometimes I go to the gym to do Cathe's workout using heavier barbell weights.

I did a search and found that most Cathletes seem to like Troy Lite Barbell Set. However, the search yielded posts dated several years back.

Now Troy Lite Barbell Set seems to come with 40lbs. I think it's a bit too light for me for even home gym use and for STS.

I am wondering if someone could give me some feedback as to:

1) How much max weight can you load onto this new Troy Lite Barbell set?
2) The new Troy Lite plates now are grip plates, which I like. The plates are also rubber-plated. However, are the plates cement plates?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Cathlete

http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

This is where I purchased my Troy Lite set. It says it holds 80 lbs. I don't know what the weights are made of on the inside. This place is the most reasonably priced that I found.

Jean
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Cathlete

The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by marazoe View Post
http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html

This is where I purchased my Troy Lite set. It says it holds 80 lbs. I don't know what the weights are made of on the inside. This place is the most reasonably priced that I found.

Jean
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the link. I will contact them for details.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyAZ View Post
The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.
Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if my local Target has those Reebok plates. I will have to go take a look around at end of January.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Cathlete

Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Cathlete
missyt's Profile Fields

Troy Barbell Lite Workout Set | Wayfair

Here is a link for them also...I think it was $128. free shipping!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Smile Thanks Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyAZ View Post
Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks again. For home gym use, I think 80lb max for Troy Lite sounds good. I feel more comfortable and prefer using heavier weights on barbell in the gym setting.

I know the bar weighs only 5 lbs, which is great. How does the grip feel and also how does the bar feel on the shoulders? Do you buy a pad to go with the bar too?

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyt View Post
Troy Barbell Lite Workout Set | Wayfair

Here is a link for them also...I think it was $128. free shipping!
Thank you for the link. I noticed that in Wayfair, Troy Lite set they sell is SKU #: TBT1290 | Part #: TLW-40G. The one in fitness1st.com is TLS045.

I am wondering if it's the same set. I think I need to do some more digging to see what is the difference.

Thanks for your tip.