Feedback Needed for Troy Lite Barbell Set

ilovefitness

Cathlete
Previously, I had posted a question on the forum, as I would like to invest in a set of barbell for home gym use. Sometimes I go to the gym to do Cathe's workout using heavier barbell weights.

I did a search and found that most Cathletes seem to like Troy Lite Barbell Set. However, the search yielded posts dated several years back.

Now Troy Lite Barbell Set seems to come with 40lbs. I think it's a bit too light for me for even home gym use and for STS.

I am wondering if someone could give me some feedback as to:

1) How much max weight can you load onto this new Troy Lite Barbell set?
2) The new Troy Lite plates now are grip plates, which I like. The plates are also rubber-plated. However, are the plates cement plates?

Thanks in advance!

The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.

The weights are not cement. I added to the plates collection with rubber-edged Reebok plates from Target -- just watched for them to go on sale. This was a few years ago, so not sure whether they still sell them, but I'm sure they can be found other places, if need be. I work out on tile floors, so appreciated the rubberized surfaces of plates and dumbbells. The only thing I did not like about the set is the squeeze locks (not sure of the right name for them) to hold the weights on. They were very stiff and difficult to get on and off quickly. I ended up buying quick-release collars, instead.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure if my local Target has those Reebok plates. I will have to go take a look around at end of January.

Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.

Thanks Again!

Oh, and SNM has said several times over the years that they have used more than 80 pounds on the bar. I'm sure it's not recommended by the manufacturer, but SNM has not experienced any problems that they have reported.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks again. For home gym use, I think 80lb max for Troy Lite sounds good. I feel more comfortable and prefer using heavier weights on barbell in the gym setting.

I know the bar weighs only 5 lbs, which is great. How does the grip feel and also how does the bar feel on the shoulders? Do you buy a pad to go with the bar too?

Thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.