Each body part worked only once per week.

HomeschoolMom

Cathlete
Following the STS rotation along with cardio inbetween, each body part is only worked once per week. Is this sufficient? I had been in the habit of working each part two or three times a week. My usual rotation for Mon. - Sat. went something like this:

Total Body (aerobics and weights)
Aerobics
Aerobics (or upper body)
All Weights (or lower body)
Aerobics
Total Body (aerobis and weights)

I occasionally did a three-in-a-row weight series (like Pure Strength or Slow & Heavy), but still ended up working each body part twice a week. What will be the effects of only working each body part once a week?

That's a good question, and I've wondered about that too. I've usually done a 3 on/1 off split, so most muscle groups end up being worked 2 times a week. But I have done a rotation where I worked each group just once a week, and I think because I was really focused on pushing the muscles to their limit once a week was plenty.

Cathe has said that she thinks 2 times a week with STS may be too much if you are also doing cardio. I plan on seeing how I feel once I get started. If you've been lifting for a while, you probably have a good sense of when your muscles are fatigued and need more rest and when they could handle more work.

ETA: If you are lifting a challenging amount of weight, the extra rest should actually help your muscles get stronger.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.