Cathe and girls vs. men

krassymira

Cathlete
I thought it was hilarious that the bulky men with scary muscles in STS lift lighter weights that Cathe and and all the girls! At the same time they make faces and huff and puff as if someone immediately has to call 911 :D:D:D
What do you guys think ;)

I totally agree! I previewed the first week of Meso 1 and got quite a chuckle about the weight 'selection' of the boys! There were a few times where they were laughably lighter than Cathe & girls! Now come on... really... was that REALLY their 1RM weight? There was also quite a difference between the boys themselves... One guy was pretty buff and did work harder, but the taller, leaner guy was pretty... um... how shall I say this to be PC... conservative with his weight selection... :rolleyes:

but I was in complete AWE at the weights Cathe and ladies were using! now THAT's woman power!!! Something to aspire to!

In their defense:
1) for exercises that use their body weight as well (lunges, squats) they are moving a LOT more weight than the women just moving themselves
2) sometimes, the weights LOOK smaller because the guys have bigger paws!
3) I have a feeling they are not used to endurance workouts the way Cathe and the crew are. It just goes to prove the old "exercise specificity" concept.

In another defense for the guys.... It looks like they are using Olympic weights. The bar in itself weighs a lot more than a regular bar. I know. We have both types of weights. The Olympic bar weighs roughly 45lbs. The weights are more compact looking compared to the regular too.

good points Kathryn and Cynthia... I have an olympic BB (although don't use it...), so know they weigh a TON more than the standard one, but I was still giggling a bit on their choice of DB's... I do acknowledge that it is probably quite a change from what they are used to in a time/rep-controlled weight training program like Cathe's vs. free weight training in a gym... I'm not trying to diss them... obviously they are VERY fit and strong individuals (or Cathe wouldn't have selected them to be involved in her program) :) just an observation...

Yeah yeah.. try to find excuses :)
Even the push ups are harder for them!!!
tee hee... no matter what, I still think the girls totaly beat them! Jai is the best best bestest evarrr !!!

The Guys

I thought it was hilarious that the bulky men with scary muscles in STS lift lighter weights that Cathe and and all the girls! At the same time they make faces and huff and puff as if someone immediately has to call 911 :D:D:D
What do you guys think ;)

This is actually something that came up during the roadtrip and gave everyone a good laugh. I told a story about how on the first day of rehearsals for STS the guys checked out the dumbbell weights the "girls" were using and made sure to grab heavier ones. Then after a short period into the rehearsals the guys started streaming back to the dumbbell racks to get lighter dumbbells. These trips continued as the day progressed. The "girls" just kept using the same weights -LOL!

Now understand all of the guys in STS are in great physical shape. All can do at least 30 pullups nonstop and some can do 50. They are probably in the top 5% fitness percentile for males in the nation. Like most guys though, they will not have the same endurance as most females or even come close to Cathe and our normal crew. The "Guys" are also taller and weigh more which means they have to do more work every rep of every exercise. When your talking 15 hour filming days that is a lot of extra work. This is especially true for lower body exercises where bodyweight is the main resistance used for the exercise.

Also, Cathe is anything but normal when it comes to the weights she can lift or bodyweight exercises she can do. Few females or even males can match her for many exercises. Just compare the weights Cathe uses in a workout to other DVDs you see on the market and you will find that even males are usually not lifting as heavy of a weight as Cathe. Yet, Cathe is probably half their weight.

I recently worked out with Cathe and had to do a lot of guy pride swallowing too. The entire event can be summarized by two questions Cathe kept asking me every set; "Is that all your lifting" ? and "Why are you out of breath" ?

Um, its Chris, right? :)
Chris, you gave me a great laugh!! Thank you!! :D
All I can say is: wellcome to the club!
(you are probably great anyway, I am sure of that! Why dont you post a picture of yourself?)
Best wishes: Krasy

I recently worked out with Cathe and had to do a lot of guy pride swallowing too. The entire event can be summarized by two questions Cathe kept asking me every set; "Is that all your lifting" ? and "Why are you out of breath" ?

ROFL! Too bad there wasn't a camera around to catch that!

Funny! I was wondering when "the guys" would get on here and defend themselves, great answer! :D

Even Arnold Schwartzeneger (sp?) had to learn a hard lesson when he first began filming movies after years of being an award-winning bodybuilder:

WHEN THE CAMERAS ROLL, USE WOODEN PLATES ON THE BAR!!! (He admitted this in a recent "60 Minutes" interview.)

Either of the guys on STS could probably kill someone using only their thumb. I'll make sure NOT to laugh when they're in the room!

A-Jock

What happened???

I just previewed the first leg workout. At the end of the workout the guys just disappear when it is time to do the side leg lifts.

It is going to make it very difficult to keep my husband in the room when he sees that the other guys have "jumped ship". :(

What happened?

Debbie Russo

Re: Cathe kept asking me every set; "Is that all your lifting" ? and "Why are you out of breath" ?

Tooo funny! Goooo Cathe! (We still love you Chris!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.