For Beginners

Bobalita229

I have a girlfriend who is interested. Would the STS program be too much for a beginner exerciser.

Thanks
~Theresa

I have a girlfriend who is interested. Would the STS program be too much for a beginner exerciser.

Thanks
~Theresa

Hi Theresa...

Just my 2 cents, but the beauty of STS is that you start where YOU are, not where the instructor or anyone else is... that's why it is so important to find the 1RM test results... the program is the same for everyone, but you lift the weights that are right for YOU...

Actually this was the first series that I purchased from Cathe (other than a few FitTV workouts) when I started my revitalized fitness journey back in August, even thought it isn't available yet, I LOVED the idea of weight training and the structure that STS gives... I also get bored easily so the thought of having 41 different workouts is VERY appealing to me...

Hope that helps... from the perspective of someone who is definately more a beginner than advanced... I try though :)

STS is an advanced program, but any strength training program can be adapted. Anyone can figure out their 1RM for the exercises and go from there. Exercises can be modified for the beginning exerciser, too (e.g. push-ups can be done with knees on the floor, not going so deep on squats, etc.).

IMHO, STS seems like it would be challenging to someone who is not familiar with exercising at all. Since we haven't been able to see the workouts in their entirety yet, it is difficult to gauge how easily the exercises could be modified or how much instruction Cathe gives on form and whatnot (although she is great about giving tips).

Erin, you bring up a good point in that STS is advanced, but most of Cathe's DVD's would be considered intermediate/advanced IMHO. like you said most moves can be modified for the most part depending on your abilities and limitations :) I guess I always assume there will be some stuff that Cathe does that I just can't, so forget that it might be frustrating for others :) I guess the thing that also attracts me to STS is that it is NOT a step workout! I can't do them, no way, no how, so weight lifting is a great alternative for me...

Dani, I hear you on the step workouts! I am just waiting to fall on my face one of these days in my step attempts.

I guess my only hesitation with STS for a beginner (or any program not geared towards very beginners) is that it can intimidating to jump into a workout like one of the STS DVDs if you aren't already familiar with strength training. I would encourage EVERYONE to buy STS (!), but I would think it would be a little scary if you aren't familiar with basic strength training exercises.

If I recall correctly, Cathe herself said that STS is great for all levels of fitness since it's completely individualized. (See a question regarding "Light Weight" posted a few days ago. The exerciser simply starts with what is right for them. I personally find most, if not all, of Cathe's workouts to be completely modifiable. Good luck to your girlfriend on her STS journey!!

Dani, I hear you on the step workouts! I am just waiting to fall on my face one of these days in my step attempts.

I guess my only hesitation with STS for a beginner (or any program not geared towards very beginners) is that it can intimidating to jump into a workout like one of the STS DVDs if you aren't already familiar with strength training. I would encourage EVERYONE to buy STS (!), but I would think it would be a little scary if you aren't familiar with basic strength training exercises.

I agree with this one caveat: Most beginner's workouts (Cathe being the exception) don't provide as much form instruction as her advanced workouts do. So, if you are concerned about form, watch and listen to Cathe or post here and ask. Maybe there should be a form thread. If we take pictures (two or three at critical poses in the exercise) we could compare and find out if we really are getting it right.

A different take:
Unlike other posters, I would think STS is not the best start for a beginning exerciser. (And since it's no longer at presale price, there's no benefit to buying it now vs later.)

The number of workouts alone might be intimidating, as well as the idea of a 3-month rotation. And if she is 'beginning exerciser' who has never lifted before, seeing how heavy everyone is lifting on the workouts might be discouraging (yes, everyone is supposed to lift what works for them, but lifting 3-5# when 'everyone else is lifting 15-30# and doing push-ups on their toes--I doubt if modifications are shown for those, as Cathe has never had a modifier doing knee push-ups throughout the workout--and pull-ups can make one feel left out. On the other hand, if she is the type of person who can still 'do her own thing' while watching what she might be able to do 'some day' and not get discouraged, it might be motivational for her).

I would recommend her getting some of Cathe's other workouts to try out before jumping into STS. That still leaves STS as a possible future purchase, something to build up to (I consider it somewhat the culmination of Cathe's weight-training workouts.)

I agree with Kathryn for the most part. I think a beginner can definitely try STS, but it might be too much. I know the "start with the weights that work for you thing", and that's true for a lot of stuff. With many upper body exercises that will work out great. But with pull-ups/pushups/that kind of thing and those leg workouts - that looks killer. And even with no weight, I don't know if a beginner can do that many lunges, that many squats, etc. Maybe so...But there's also the cardio factor with the leg stuff - I find it hard often to not get too out of breath with that stuff in Cathe's workouts and I'm probably intermediate.

I'm not saying a beginner can't just do what they can, and keep getting stronger and trying to do better, but it may be discouraging and better for later.

If there are beginners out there who love the challenge and that motivates them, this would be great. It won't be a waste of money, for sure.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.