Barbell???

LadyUnix

Cathlete
Dear Cathe,

And others who might feel like chiming in :)

Currently I only have dumbells, from 5 lbs to 35 lbs and am limited in workout room.
I will be ordering STS tomorrow.

1) Do you think there'd be a great enough benefit to having a barbell in addidtion to the dumbbells, in the way they work the muscles, to justify cluttering up my living space even more or can I keep substituting dumbbells for barbells?

2) What is the purpose of the paper plates? Can they work on carpeting?

Thank you!!!!

And special thanks to you, Cathe, for being such an inspiration......and thanks to your crew, also!

You can do any barbell exercise with dumbbells. I like the barbell but it's not required equipment.

I have a workout that uses paper plates for lunges and they work just fine on carpeting. Don't know the purpose though. They seem to work well for lunges. Someone else can answer that better than me.

Missy

I only had dumbbells for a long time, just got the Troy Lite barbell (same one Cathe uses) a few months ago and I'm glad I did. It definitely does work the mucles differently and it doesn't take up much space at all (I'm also space-challenged) I just put the bar in a corner and stack the plates on top of each other.

Paper plates will work on carpet, I've used them in other workouts. They do work your leg muscles, you WILL feel it!

I really like having the barbell option to add variety, and for squats, I can rest more weight on my upper back than I could hold in dumbbells for an entire set.

It does take up more space if you don't break them down. But broken down, it doesn't really take up that much.

I had bought this great 55lb set (ended up buying 2 sets) for a good price, it's slightly higher now. The set is called US Weight 55 lb. Duracast Weight Set. I think the total price now is $46 for each 55 lb set. The plates are actually plastic, which seemed odd at first, but after having them, I think this is better for at home anyway.

I've heard that walmart carries inexpensive sets too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.