1RM question -- dumbbells

healthy_vegan

Cathlete
When performing the 1RM test for dumbbell exercises (that have 2 dumbbells), have people been entering the total weight of the combined dumbbells, or the weight of each dumbbell?

Or does it depend on the exercise? Would you enter the single dumbbell weight for bicep curls, because each bicep is isolated with one dumbbell, but total for squats?

I suppose it does not matter, so long as we are consistent when we choose our dumbbells based on our results. But I'm curious. :)

I think my thread (Am I doing something wrong with my 1RM?) addressed this. I have been entering the combined weight of the dumbbells because that is the total resistance on the body part I am working. I think people are doing it both ways, though. I wouldn't think it makes much of a difference, as long as you keep track of if you had entered a single dumbbell's weight or the combined weight.

I am also a healthy vegan. How long have you been a vegan?:D
-Erin

I think where it matters is if you try to compare to the "average" numbers shown for everyone that's entered 1RM data to your own. Those numbers are really worthless right now, because of the already-mentioned problem of some people recording 1 dumbell weight, and others both. SNM, can you please post the method you intend to use? (sorry if I missed it somewhere)...

When performing the 1RM test for dumbbell exercises (that have 2 dumbbells), have people been entering the total weight of the combined dumbbells, or the weight of each dumbbell?

Or does it depend on the exercise? Would you enter the single dumbbell weight for bicep curls, because each bicep is isolated with one dumbbell, but total for squats?

I suppose it does not matter, so long as we are consistent when we choose our dumbbells based on our results. But I'm curious. :)

Not SNM here.....

I agree with everyone that you cant really use the Cathe averages because some people are testing differently and some people are already saying they are taking an educated guess & recording that...But for future reference:

The technically correct way:

When using DBs for 1RM you are listing the weight of 1 DB.
If a person says "I can do a Bicep Curl with 25#s" they are talking about one DB.
You arent lifting 50#s because each arm isnt lifting 50#s -

When using a Barbell you list total poundage including the bar weight. So my bar weighs 5#s - if I add 4/ 10# plates I am lifting 45#s for that exercise.

As another poster said...It probably is fine to leave it if you've done it differently as long as you know that when you print your exercise card and it says lift 30#s for whatever exercise that you would need to grab TWO 15#'ers for your exercise......As long as YOU are consistent and dont worry about the averages you should be fine.

HTH

I agree with teddy16410 and I would like to add my 2cents.
When I use dumbbell instead of barbell then I use both weights added together so average can be compared with others. Otherwise for dumbell exercises I have recorded weight of 1 dumbell.
Joan

Not SNM here.....

The technically correct way:

When using DBs for 1RM you are listing the weight of 1 DB.
If a person says "I can do a Bicep Curl with 25#s" they are talking about one DB.
You arent lifting 50#s because each arm isnt lifting 50#s -

When using a Barbell you list total poundage including the bar weight. So my bar weighs 5#s - if I add 4/ 10# plates I am lifting 45#s for that exercise.

HTH

Thank you, teddy16410! I really needed that info. I think I'll go back and delete all the 1RMs I entered (not many yet) and start all over. I'd quit doing them because it just didn't make sense to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.