1rm easier than you think

JoanC

Cathlete
I just looked at 1st 6 discs workout cards. On disc 1 you have 18 exercises to test. (Plus 8 sets of pushups and 1 band). Disc 2- 16 exercises to test (Plus 7 total of bands, dips , pushups, chinups) On disc 2 you have 21 exercises to test. (plus 3 duplications).
But by disc 4 there are only 6 new exercises to test. On disc 5- 1 and only if you use weight on superman. Disc 6 there are 7 new exercises.
So there are only 69 exercises for the first two weeks.
So print up the workout cards and mark the duplicates. I thought there were way too many to test but now I am thinking it may be possible:D.
Joan

I couldn't stop. Printed out workout cards 8-12. It gets better.
Disc 7 - 7 exercises to test, Disc 8- 2 exercises, Disc 9-12 exercises, Disc 10- 5 exercises, Disc 11- 2 exercises, and disc 12-maybe 5(descriptions unclear).
For this two week period there are only 33 exercises to test. Which is only 102 for the whole month.
You might not need even that many if you think you can do same weight for standing overhead extensions as you can for seated overhead extension.
Looking at the combinations, I am even more impressed than viewing the clips. Even with the duplication of some exercises, disc 1 and disc 4 should seem different.

Back again, I printed out workout cards 13-40. There are probably not any additional test until disc 29 plyo legs and at 57 I'm not jumping with weights.

I now believe the best strategy is to print out workout card 1 and do chest shoulders and triceps. If you have time to do more of those body parts,then print out workout card 4. That way all completed tests will show and you can complete only the additional ones. Again if you aren't dead yet, print workout card 7 and complete the additional ones and finally wo card 10.

Another day print out workout card 2 and do back and triceps. If you have time to do more , then print out work out card 5, complete test then print 8 and complete, then print 11 and complete.

It will probably take multiple days to do legs because there seems to be more variations. Again print out work out card 3 and complete tests before you print wo card 6 and so forth.
I can't believe there are only about 102 1RM to complete. :D:D:D:D
Joan

No excuses

I just finished 24 of the 36 chest, shoulders, and bicep 1rm test in under 2 hours. I didn't allow the full 5 min between all exercises. The next 12 are mainly variations , standing overhead press instead of seated overhead press etc.
You could easily break this up into 3 sessions if you have less than an hour.
There are 19 back and Tricep 1rm tests and 45 leg tests. I think the most days you would need would be 8. 3 ch,sh and bi. 2 back, and 3 legs.
This definitely counts as a workout, I am already in pain.
I think it would be best to use one of Cathe's warm ups for that body part before start. Maybe next time.:eek:
You don't need to wait for Cathe's videos of exercises. I had to search web for many of them because I did not recognize name. They have some great sites out there and there were no exercises that I looked up that were not available.
Joan

Way to go

Way to go Joan !!!!!

And thanks for all this info, any thing to make 1RM testing less intimidating is soooooo
appreciated. I have done a few here and there, but now I am motivated to get going
on all the others. As Gail said, you rock!!!!!

Bri

Joan Thanks.
I've done 1rm for workouts disc 1 through 3 and then gave up, but I printed out workouts cards for the first 12 DISC and found some of them had my 1rm already listed. So it is nice to know that they aren't as many. Although 102 still seems like a lot.

Saundra

Thanks, Joan, especially guiding us through which disks in which order. I'll probably do this during Christmas vacation!

Hi Joan,,

This may sound dumb, but how do you print out the workout cards for each disc? I have not had much luck working with the WM, mostly frustration!

Deb

Go to workout manager and click on date on calendar ( I started with Jan 5th in hopes that Santa would have delivered sts by then:D). Click on sts instead of dvd, etc. It then asks you what disc. It shows what you have already tested or you can go to bottom left and print and save. Hope this helps.
I scheduled all discs because I didn't want to delete them later and I wanted to print them all. With the rest weeks and scheduling MWF, discs go from Jan 5 thru April 17.
Joan

Deb, not Joan but I print out my cards in the following way:
In Workout Manager. go to Calendar
Click on a calender date (any date will do), and all the different categories of workout should come up.
Where it says STS workouts, click Add New.
The Schedule an STS Workout dialogue box should appear.
Select the disc number you would like from the drop down list. Then that workout will appear with all the exercises it contains.
And then scroll to the bottom and click on the button that says (Print and Save Workout Card).

Hope this helps
Saundra

I have tried printing out the cards but am getting NO WHERE!!! I went to WM clicked on date on calendar & absolutely nothing happens. What a m I doing wrong?
So as soon as I go to WM the calendar comes up & this is where you mean right?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Hey guys, completely new around here and trying to figure out everything for STS.....so, I printed the card.....do I just go through each exercise to figure out 1RM for each exercise and then calculate the 60% for each one for the first cycle?

Thanks

No once you enter 1rm it automatically updates wo card. You will have to reprint wo card but it will print out both 1rm and 60% wt needed. After the 1st month % go from 70% to 90%. Those are also computed for you.
Hope this helps ,
Joan

I substituted todays wo for 1RM test for Back and Tri . Total of 19 tests. I completed them in a little over 2 hours with 5 min rest between exercises.:D:D
If we really are getting STS by new year I wouldn't put off testing past Dec 15. If you usually work one body part per week and only have about an hour, you will need 2 1/2 weeks.
Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.