1 rep max test- yes or no?

I haven't decided yet.

If I do, I won't test every exercise (since I can pretty much guesstimate what weights I would use from some 'basic' exercises: chest press for chest, row for back, oh press for shouldders, squats for legs, for example).

I definitely don't see any reason for testing the mesocycle 2 and 3 exercises until we're actually done with mesocycle 1.

I did suggest that SNM come up with some way of calculating our 1RM on 'supplementary' exercises based on some 'core' exercises (1-2 per body part), but they never answered. You'd think there would be some software available to do that.

I agree with Kathryn

It would make more sense to just do the test on 1-2 excercises per body part. I may just do that anyhow and then just wing it from there.

my thoughts...

Hello,

I plan on doing my 1 RM test after I get a surgery done and am cleared for heavy workouts by the doctor.

You can probably just wing it and add weight as needed on the next go around of that particular exercise.

If you look on the STS Blog, there are links to You Tube that show samples of the new workouts. The recommended weight percentage appears on the screen. i would think it would be help to know your 1 RM so you can calculate (or use the workout manager to calculate for you) your percentages.

I think you would get the best results most efficiently if you knew your 1 RM ahead of doing the workout. i do periodization now and have "winged" it for some time! The only problem I have is that I am not consistently challenging myself as much as I could and so I am probably not gettting the results that I should from a program like this.

Perhaps do 2 rounds - the first one without the 1 RM % calculations and then a second round with the calculations?? You can compare the intensities AND you get 6 months of workouts locked in!!! Fun!!!

I haven't decided yet.

If I do, I won't test every exercise (since I can pretty much guesstimate what weights I would use from some 'basic' exercises: chest press for chest, row for back, oh press for shouldders, squats for legs, for example).

I definitely don't see any reason for testing the mesocycle 2 and 3 exercises until we're actually done with mesocycle 1.

I did suggest that SNM come up with some way of calculating our 1RM on 'supplementary' exercises based on some 'core' exercises (1-2 per body part), but they never answered. You'd think there would be some software available to do that.

It does not not matter what mesocycle an exercise is in as far as 1RM testing is concerned. If you're only going to test a few exercises, I would actually suggest testing exercises used in Meso 3 or meso 2 first. The exercises in these mesocycles are tried and true basics and are used throughout the STS program.

As for using or developing a mathematical formula where you could just test a few exercises and then compute what a person could lift for all exercises...this is something that just wouldn't work very well. There are just too many variables that determine what a person could lift for a particular exercise to make creating one generic formula for all exercises work. Even the 1RM calculator we use has an error rate of at least 5% and even higher for other skill compound exercises like squats and deadlifts. A generic formula for all exercises would have an error rate that would be so high as to make it basically worthless.

We realize a lot of people will never try or do a 1RM test, but we hope many do. 1RM testing is actually pretty easy to do and a lot of people will learn something about the way they have been training. If nothing else, we hope 1RM testing will at least get everyone thinking about and analyzing the weights they use in a routine. Using the proper weight for an exercise is one of the most important decisions an exerciser can make. You can certainly guess, but as the University of Michigan study shows, most people that guess select a weight that is not even close to what they should have selected.

I've started, I did a bunch a while back, then another chunk last week. I'm using the spreadsheets from Lanie's website, I've completed the first sheet plus about 8 more on the second. I like the idea of putting in the 1rm numbers and getting back exactly the weights I should be using for all of the workouts.

I have noticed that I often pick up a weight that is too light first for the test. So I'm getting better at starting with a heavier one, then going lighter if needed for the tests.

Oh and I wanted to add, that this will make it much easier when you need to start adding 5% (or so) increments to the weights, I just can't do that much math :rolleyes:.

i am going to wait til feb because i should be able to lift heavier by then. i am getting it for xmas and my sisters will be here through part of january.

laura

Chris!

You said... "I would actually suggest testing exercises used in Meso 3 or meso 2 first. The exercises in these mesocycles are tried and true basics and are used throughout the STS program."

I can't seem to find where this is listed. Can you tell me what number DVD's are Meso 3 & 2? Do you suggest one Meso over the other or do they both pretty much include the same moves? Thanks!

If you just test the first 12 workout cards you will have tested all the exercises. You can print them from the workout manager. You click on number on calendar and instead of recording your current wo you click on sts. It will ask you disc # and then you go to bottom left and hit save and print. There are only about a 100 exercises if you skip band exercises, chinups, and pushups. You should print the first three workout cards first and then test those exercises. When you print the next three wo cards they will then have the one rm for those exercises you have already tested so you do not duplicate.
There are also complete list of the exercises on some of the threads.
I liked going from the wo cards because I used the testing as my wo. There are about 36 chest, shoulder and bicep tests. I did first 24 in two hours and last 12 in one hour. Or you could split into three hours. There are only 21 back and tricep. Again I did them in one session of about two hours but you could split that into two wo. There are about 45 leg tests. I did a few before a dvd and found I could lift heavier than normal but it hurt my knees. I will probably just use my current weights the first time through sts.
If you are only working out each body part once a week, this is an easy way to finish testing in two and a half weeks.
Discs 1-12 are the first cycle
Discs 13-24 are the second cycle
The rest are third cycle.
Hope this helps,
Joan

Thanks Joan! I started testing way back when but decided to re-do my tests. Thanks for the info...that helps a lot!

Joan, Chris or Cathe...

I am wondering since SNM suggest doing Meso 2 or 3 if it would be better to print out those cards instead which would be from card 13 on? I just copied the first 12 but now I am wondering if I should start with the other Meso cycles? Chris & Cathe, could you give me your thoughts?

List of One-Rep Max Tests by Mesocycle

Debbie:

Check out Kathy G’s thread where she listed all the one-rep max tests by mesocycle:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255451

Kathy listed 24 exercises for Mesocycle 2 and 18 exercises for Mesocycle 3. Kathy, are those all the exercises for those mesocycles, or did you omit some because they were already included in your list for the first mesocycle?

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Thanks Joan.

So, basically, the 2nd and 3rd mesocycles will use the same exercises, but different reps and weights. Am I understanding correctly?

You can count me in as a yes. (Here's my answer from another thread)

I incorporated the 1 RM testing into my rotation. I’m testing a few exercises at a time before my regular workouts. I wasn’t going to test at all because I have a good feel for my max depending on the type of workout I’m doing. However, a couple of months ago I hurt my back (I took a bad fall) and it took a while to recover. Even after I was well on the road to recovery, I noticed that I was being very cautious with my workouts. I decided that maybe I needed to test to reassess my limits. Doing the 1RM testing has been good for me. I think it is easy to pare down the list of exercises. There are some exercises within the same muscle groups where I use different weight ranges, so I chose to test a wide range of exercises. I am finding it pretty easy to do the 1RM. Now that there is a little more time before STS arrives, I’ve spread out the testing a bit more because I feel the difference when doing fewer 1RM tests at a time.

jordan

Healthy vegan,
Yes they are all duplicates but in different order so each wo is really different, besides weight used.
The only new exercises I refuse to test are the plyo legs where you are jumping with weights. This is disc 32. I am too old to be jumping with a weight.
Debbie H,
You are still going for 1rm. It doesn't matter which wo card you get them from . But if you can't do them all I would want to get at least wo card 1,2 and 3 done so I could start the first week. Remember on card 4,5,and 6 you will not have to test them all because you have already tested them on 1,2,and 3.
Just get started it really is easier than it sounds.
Joan

auuuggghh!!!

this is all so confusing. i need very basic explanations. i don't know if i will ever figure this out. help, anyone.
cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.