Weight Watchers 10/5 THURSDAY Check-In

Back!

Today is a circuity concotion of Imax 3 Intervals & Jari Love Ripped to the Core.... Tomorrow is WI so will keep to TPs + APs and lots of egg whites and salsa if I am hungry!

Claude: Good thinking sharing your "more meals" strategy.... I find it really is a lifesaver! And the new Laughing Cow Lite Wedges are 5 for 1 point! TO DIE FOR!!!! I just found those..bought on the "hungry-girl" email recommendation.

Corinne: Love KPC as well! That whole series is one of the best I think... Hope you got up and just went for it!

Jane: Glad you are not going to restrict yourself to 4 APs.... Its such a sensitive spot for me (like Amy) as I was doing all the "right things" for so long and nothing happening... then one day I stopped the craziness, refused to be hungry (knowing that even if I lost wt it would just come back) and refused to "limit" myself to a few points... within two weeks I was steadily losing, loving working out again, headaches and crabbiness GONE!

Kirsten: So happy for you feeling great w/ being OP and on w/o's again! The endorphins and mental highs are just incredible when its all working!

Amy: LOLOL... The brain/body numbness is EXACTLY why I do 1.5-2 hours every day! Once the first 30 minutes is down I go into that zone and its wonderful...before ya know it its all over

Thanks to all of you for very stimulating and thought provoking dialogue on many topics yesterday.... I learn alot from each of you and am very grateful that we are all here!

Have a great day:)

Good morning Traci and all that follow.

I'm off today since I work the weekend. The man that bales our hay is coming today. We have all of it sold I HOPE and I won't have to put any in the barn (by myself since DH is out of town). If I do that will be workout #2! Today I'm doing GS Legs. CircuitMax lived up to its name yesterday!

Traci - I am definitely NOT going to put my body into starvation mode which I know is easily done by restricting calories too much and there you are... working your hiney off and getting nowhere. I am definitely going to eat my APs or most of them. Some days I don't feel the need to eat all of them but most days I do.

Claude brought up a good point on yesterday's thread and something I ALWAYS do. I always eat a protein with a carb. Banana and PB, cheese or PB with apple, etc. It keeps the carb, especially a high glycemic index carb like a banana, from spiking your insulin and leaving you feeling ravenously hungry in 30 minutes to an hour. The protein slows down the digestion process and you are satisfied longer. This is something I started doing over a year ago and I haven't felt that shaky feeling I use to after eating a carb with nothing else with it. My daughter use to suffer from major hypoglycemic episodes quitely frequently. When she started using this method, the episodes completely went away.

Have a great day everyone!

Hey, Ya'll!!!

Well, I am going to have to do it....I finally decided to break down and get a HRM. I have been avoiding it for months, and decided this morning that I need to get one. I am probably giving myself more APs than I actually earn (but according to the WW slide rule AND the fitness tracker on SparkPeople, I am right with the number of APs) and I guess that it's time to find out for "real". Heck according to both yesterday with the SB/SJP circuit (85 min) I broke it down to the 45 min of SP (high impact step= 8 APs) and the hi/lo (although mostly low) circuit for 40 min (circuit training= 4 APs) plus 10 vigorous abs with BC core work = 1 AP. That adds up to 13 whopping APs!!! I only took credit for about 10 though, so I could add a treat of Hershey's ice cream last night:9 .

I think that tonight will be either Imax2 or KPC, I haven't decided yet. I think that after the last 2 wks, my body has proclaimed a boycot against Low Max. After thinking about it, I have been doing LM every week since last January! 9 1/2 mos is a long time to do a workout! So, that's on the back burner for a while. OOOOOHHH, Traci, you reminded me that I have Jari Love's RTC from Netflix that I need to check out!!! Thanks! Drat, that means I forgot about Patrick Goudreaux's step stuff and Christi Taylor's stuff is still here that I need to check out before sending backx( .

Corinne- I think that your dad's experience is why my dad is leaning towards having the seeding done. Granted, it take a little longer, but it's not like my dad's cancer popped up out of nowhere. According to the literature, he would take hormone therapy until the prostate shrinks then they would insert radiation seeds that over the course of a year slowly kill off the prostate cells, then after a year, the seed are inert and the entire prostate is dead. I know a couple of other people who have had this done and they had really good success with it.

While I never really felt like I was crabby when I was restricting myself to 24 pts and ONLY 24pts, looking back on it, I really was! I also really didn't feel hungry, but I think that sensation was too blunted to notice. Now that my body is used to more calories, I feel more in tune with it and actually feel when I am hungry. I am still in the process of reading "Intuitive Eating", but have gleaned some interesting tid bits from it. One of which is that when you restrict your calories too much, your body starts not recognizing the hunger signals, therefore you don't *feel* hungry.

Okay, off to view more HRM on the internet. I am leaning heavily for the Polar F6. Although the F4 would do nicely, but the F11 is just too much (it's like the Tim Taylor of HRM--more power, more gadgets). Knowing myself, the F11 would just pi$$ me off with too many "things" to deal with!!! I am not getting the HRM to stay within my heart rate zone per se, I am getting to more accurately measure the number of calories I burn. Heck, there's no way you can stay in a HR zone with Cathe's stuff!!! Right????

Good morning all! :)

Thought I'd drop in and say hi before the day gets rocking and rolling. So glad tomorrow is Friday, I am ready.

Traci: You amaze me with your workouts. But you inspire me too. You make me believe that I can get to a level like yours some day! :)

Jane: I completely agree with you re: carbs and protein. I too have hypoglycemia and find this the best way to keep in under control. It is to blame for my PB addicttion mind you but yes, it does work.

Best of luck with your hay collecting today. ;-)

Amy: After just checking out the beginning of Low Max I can really see why it is has been in high rotation. I really like what I have seen/done. I find that to be the case with most of Cathe's stuff though.

I wish your dad the best of luck in whatever treatment course he decides on. I will keep him in my thoughts.

As for the HRM. I would reccommend the F6. I have the F4 but I had really just started FIRMing when I got it. Now I'd like the F6 I think but I agree that the F11 seems to have a bit too many bells and whistles.

Check out www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. Last I checked, the coupon code GALAXY would get you a 20% discount. They are great folks to work with too.

Well, best get back to it. Busy, busy today. I'll check back later! :)

Hi Kirsten, Amy, & jane:

Got my concoction done and it was really a calorie burner... RTTC is a compound weights anyway which keeps my HR up but doing 3 exercises of that then 2 Imax intervals & blasts then back again for 4 cycles was CRAZY! I wouldnt have been able to do it if yesterday hadnt been a rest day... definitely making myself a note about that!

Jane: Hope you dont have to haul hay cuz GS Legs sounds like PLENTY of work to me for 1 day!

Amy: I had F4 and after 3 months upgraded to F6... I agree w/ Kirsten the F6 has enough bells & whistles to keep me interested but not so many that my brain is overloaded using it!

Kirsten: lolol...don't be too amazed by my w/os... after first 40 minutes I modify alot! Today I really had to as my HR went up to 103% of maximum...

Off to eat, shower, walmart.... bbl}(

Good Morning!!

Today I felt like my old self. No more tooth problems. Yeah!!!

I did Cardio Coach #3 and MM abs. It felt great.

I think I'm going to start adding an extra 30 minutes of cardio right before dinner. I tend to eat dinner when I get home from work (about 6:00). This is so early that by 9:00 i'm hungry again. I figure if I add an extra workout in the evening I can a) postpone dinner and b) eat a bit more because of the extra AP's. Anyway, that's the plan.

Feels like an Op day to me!!!

Amy, you'll love your HR monitor. I'm very addicted to mine.

Traci, thanks for all you encouragement during my tooth ordeal. Enjoy your workout.

Buffy

Hi Buffy! you must be flying high feeling better and able to workout! I am so happy that you healed quickly....RE: Adding 30 minutes cardio right before dinner... Please keep us posted on results... So many of the books I've read including Bob Green (Oprahs dude) say to do this to excelerate metabolism a bit in the evening. I tried a few months ago when I was still stalled in wt loss but I am so NOT an evening exerciser I just found every excuse in the book to avoid it. It may be something I need to turn to during holidays however due to more "less than clean" foods...oh yeah...holidays are really only time I drink my gin & tonics too}(
maybe now that you turned me onto Cardio Coach I could do 30 minutes of that...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm might be talking myself into trying this come November rotation..... THANKS for sharing the idea!!!!

Morning everyone -
Oh yes, I'm feeling yesterday's GS Legs today. Last night I did 30 min on the treadmill and I think that helped a bit. I did make a mental note NOT to do GS LEgs on a work day. I spend the day sitting at my desk and my legs just tightened right up. On my days off I tend to move more so it should help with the DOMS.

I stayed completely OP yesterday - I did good!! No PB in the house to tempt me!

This am was All Step cardio only followed by Coremax1. I'm planning on CardioCaoch 4 tonight at the gym too so that should round out the day nicely.

Buffy (and Traci) - I was so not into working out at night, but when spring came round I wanted to get outside and enjoy the nice weather. I started doing a walk around the neighboorhood and it helped me drop a couple of extra pounds. I tried to look at it as a reward or treat, not as something I HAD to do. Now I love getting in a couple of extra evenings cardios druing the week. Good luck with it, Buffy! I know you'll see some changes.

Sorry, no time for more personals - hope everyone has a great day!!

Claude

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

Hello again ladies. I have a moment to breathe and thought I'd drop in.

Buffy: So glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you healed quickly.
RE: cardio before dinner. Sounds great. Definitely keep us posted on how it helps you out.

Claude: Yay on such a great OP day! Also, I find that I tighten up the same way.

As for night workouts. I have finally learned to appreciate them. A sudden job loss and new job in May forced a schedule change that meant workouts went to nights. I hated it at first for so many reasons... to busy, things came up, too tired... etc.

Now I have found the positives... I am BY MYSELF (DH works later), I sleep well and I can use it to burn off the stress from my very fast paced job. I find that to really help my outlook on evening workouts.

I also walk the dogs at 9pm every night to get them tuckered out and ready for bed and with the cooler weather coming on (or at least it WAS, what is up with the mid 80's we have going on?) we are all looking forward to those. :)

I'll check back soon. Take care guys! :)

Good day,

Well, I never made it back to the check in yesterday, and boy were you guys chatty LOL. I have a lot of catching up to do. Sorry if I miss anyone in the saga that is about to ensue.

First I'll start off by quickly saying that due to a very rough night with the baby, I did *not* get up at 5am to do my workout today. Baby appears to have an ear infection, and is miiiiiissssserable. Poor thing. She's taking a nap right now, and I'll have to wake her up in about 30 minutes to take her to the doctor's. Hopefully I can fit in a 30 minute run and a CoreMax after supper tonight, but I'm not going to hold myself to it, if I'm just too tired.

Regarding the AP discussion yesterday, I went back to the book they gave me when I started WW, before the FlexPoint plan. In that book, they encourage you to *not earn* more than 4 AP a day, or 28 AP a week, because it is thought to be overtraining. As usual with WW, they appear to be espousing a dose of common sense and moderation. I would place a bet that they made this suggestion because they saw a tendancy by some members to exercise to ridiculous and unhealthy lengths, simply to earn more food points. <Can you smell that? I just put on a fresh pot of coffee :9 > And for most people when they start WW, their fitness level at the time would not sensibly be capable of handling more than 28 AP a week.

Years ago I was told that the reason you can only count 4 grams of fiber per food choice was because before they capped it, people were inhaling vast amounts of fiber-rich foods, in order to eat more. And of course, they weren't losing weight because fiber-rich foods do still have calories, and you have to watch it. I imagine it's the same sort of logic with their recommendation to not earn more than 4 AP per day. I can also see how some people can interpret a suggestion to *not earn* more than 4AP per day to mean you can't *count* more than 4 per day. Either that, or someone suggested at some meeting somewhere that in order to keep people at a 4 AP maximum per day, they should be told that they can't count the extras. So, this is my 2 cents-plus-inflation on the AP discussion from yesterday.

Also from yesterday:

Corrine - I'm finishing up my doctoral studies in Sociology. I'm currently doing a final revision of my dissertation before giving it to my committee. Because I'm in the writing phase, I work from home (theoretically), and no longer take classes, etc. But because I keep having babies, taking on extra research work, and just generally procrastinating, I don't actually spend much time working these days. It's a source of frustration, anxiety, and depression for me. My workouts keep me from totally plummeting into the void. Having said all that, I wouldn't go back to my undergraduate days for the all the money in the world. I still have dreams that I've completely forgotten to attend a class all year - and the final exam is the next day! What are you studying?

Amy - GREAT workout yesterday! I love, love, love, love, love SB and SJP, and think the premixes offer the best workouts on the market. I want to do that premix now!! If you think the hi/lo in SJP is rough, you don't want to try MIC!!! When I do MIC I always have the 9-1 pressed on my phone, so I just have to crawl over and press the last button. If I can manage to crawl. Thanks for the oatmeal and egg recipe yesterday. That looks very interesting. I may give it a go; will let you know how I like it. Since I use regular sweeteners instead of artifical, I imagine a bowl of that would be 4 points. That's reasonable. Ooooooh, I really want a HRM! DH has one, but lost the manual, so you think I can figure out how to use it?? So I guess what I really want is a HRM Manual LOL!

Jane - LOL at the cookbook/kids remark yesterday! After last night, I definitely need to give away the kids, and dose myself with the comfort foods in that cookbook!! Have fun with GS Legs today. I hope to do that one within the next few days. The protein/carb combination is something I learned when I Zoned a number of years ago. It is definitely effective.

Traci - your hug was warmly received. Thank you. I'd give you one back, but I don't want you to get this bug. My throat feels nasty, and because I'm still nursing I can't take any medicine. And that delicious honey-lemon tea would take up too many points for me to drink it!! Sad, isn't it, that I prefer to take drugs because they don't have any calories?

Kristen - I love LowMax. Keep practicing, because once you get it, you will have a blast.

Claude - thank you very much for the snack suggestions. They look really good! I think the main problem for me is that I get up at 5am, so lunch is 7 hours away. Eating only one small meal, and one banana as a snack, in 7 hours, while starting off with an advanced 60 minute workout is probably what's causing the problem. I should definitely either eat lunch earlier, or add another snack.

Buffy - Those MM abs are TOUGH!! You consider 6pm early for dinner? Heck, we eat at 5pm! But I also try to be in bed by 9pm, so I'm asleep before I need another snack. Well okay, sometimes I'll have a bowl of cereal before bed. I love cereal.

Well, this post have become a novel. I'll stop writing now.

Talk to you later,
Sandra

Well, I ended up with the F6. I was in the store (thanks for the coupon link, but I wanted it today....you know that instant gratification thing!!) and the cute young man was so helpful. He was actually wearing one and showed me just how easy it is to program. Anyway I thought it was cute because he apologized because they only had it in black and pink. I looked at him with a straight face and asked, "Does the color affect how it works?" he said, No, and I laughed, then what difference does the color make! He chuckled and said, well, I guess nothing!

Anyway, it's all programmed and ready for Imax 2.

Oh, Kirsten- something I did when I was learning LowMax was to paused the DVD where I was having trouble (not during the actual workout) and then pushed to FF button to make it go about 1/2 speed. That allowed me to watch and do the step with Cathe without tripping all over my feet until the movement memory was there, then I sped up and kept doing the moves until I got them. Sandra is right, though, once you get them, you'll have fun

Claude- I have actually starting going that route with the PB and banana for a quick snack before bed in the mornings. It does really help! I think that I remember that suggestion from South Beach, no, it was Body For Life ( I KNOW it wasn't from Jenny Craig!! LOL, can you see just how many eating programs I have tried!!!????)

Sandra- I hope that the oatmeal thing works for you. Good luck on the doctoral thesis... I am gearing my brain up for the GRE so I can get my master's.

Traci- I am glad that you actually gave yourself a rest day! Thanks for the tidbit of info on the JL workout, I think that I may need to get it just to add to the circuitability of everything! (is that a word?)

Amy, glad to hear that you found one. I really think you will love it. That HRM is great motivation for me. :)

Thank you SO much for the LowMax suggestion. That is a great idea!

Sandra: Sorry to hear of your rough night and that you are still under the weather. Take care and feel better soon!

Thanks for all the feedback yesterday, everyone. It was very informative.:)

Traci: I have blood sugar issues too and if I don't eat well I feel it.

Corinne: I'm glad I'm not alone in the crankiness.

Claude: Thanks for the snack ideas.

Jane: Carb+protein--I'll keep that in mind.

Yesterday I did make it through Leaner Legs and surprisingly I'm not that sore today(I guess a year of running three times/week has done some good for my legs;-) )

Tuesday I did CTX Kickbox and my elbows are killing me, so I'm a little reluctant to lift anything today(muscle pain okay/joint pain not okay)I don't think it's in the joint but it is really sore where the muscles in your forearm connect to the upper part of the elbow(if you stick your arm out in front of you it's the part facing up--does that make sense?).

I'm actually going for a 2.5 mile walk today--to pick DD up from school.

Have a great day everyone!
Kim

>Hi Buffy! you must be flying high feeling better and able to
>workout! I am so happy that you healed quickly....RE: Adding
>30 minutes cardio right before dinner... Please keep us posted
>on results... So many of the books I've read including Bob
>Green (Oprahs dude) say to do this to excelerate metabolism a
>bit in the evening. I tried a few months ago when I was still
>stalled in wt loss but I am so NOT an evening exerciser I just
>found every excuse in the book to avoid it. It may be
>something I need to turn to during holidays however due to
>more "less than clean" foods...oh yeah...holidays are really
>only time I drink my gin & tonics too}(
>maybe now that you turned me onto Cardio Coach I could do 30
>minutes of that...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm might be talking myself into
>trying this come November rotation..... THANKS for sharing the
>idea!!!!

Traci, I'm not an evening exercising either, that's why I'm limiting it to 30 minutes. Anything more than that and I know there is no way I could motivate myself.

I'm thinking I will do either cardio coach 1 or 2. Both are fairly easy and about 30 minutes.

Curious to see what effect (if any) this has on my night time appetite.

Buffy

Kim, did you do the bicep work attached to the Kickbox workout? It sounds to me like you're describing the lower part of the bicep muscles. Cathe often stretches out the bicep after working them by sticking her arms out straight, and pulling down on the fingers. This stretches out the forearms and biceps. It doesn't surprise me that you might have series DOMS from that bicep routine; it's a tough one.

Sandra

Hello All!!!

Amy - Enjoy your heart rate monitor!! I haven't caved in yet. I know myself and I think I would become too obsessive about buring such and such calories and stuff, and I don't want exercising to become that, so I'm steering clear from it now. Another thing that helps, I'm poor, lol and I rather buy more Cathe Dvds for the money instead. The treatment your father is thinking to get sounds great and I am sure it will all work out!

Traci - I didn't wake up x( (I love sleep too much) but I am not giving up on the thought. I did do it after work tho, and I love love love KPC, thanks again for the suggestion.

Buffy - I am glad you are feeling back to normal!!

Kirsten - I can't wait also for Friday. I'm ready for it! And it's a long weekend for me this one!!! Thanksgiving!!! Going to catch up on sleep and get some good long WOs in!

Sandra - Wow, graduate studies, having children and keeping a healthy lifestyle! You are my inspiration! Congrats on balancing everything. I am currently studying at Concordia University at John Molson School of Business majoring in Finance. I am also a co-op student, which means I alternate studying and work, so I will graduate with my bac and a full year of experience. I'm really liking it, but I am looking forward to being done with the books. Living in Quebec, I had to go through CEGEP, so I've been worrying about midterms and finals for 4 years now, and I still have 2 left :(. But I know it will be worth it in the end. And btw, your daughters are beautiful!!!

Well gotta go, have a great evening everyone!!

Corinne

:)

Good Evening All!
My DH is at my MIL mowing lawn so I have some extra down time tonight!

KIM: I got those EXACT pains after CTX Kick last week... HOW WEIRD! I didnt do the biceps but the next morning I couldnt move my arms.. It was gone within 24 hours but I thought I just had put alot of UMPH into the punches.... Same thing w/ Leaner Legs... my DOMS normally hit about 36-48 later (just when its time to do legs again!):(

AMY: HOORAY on HRM!!!! I cant wait to hear how HRM calories / APs compare to what you've been doing... a little experiment going on!}(

Sandra: You poor thing! And your poor daughter! Keep your throat warm and try and rest as much as a sick little one will allow... When I was a kid my great grandma use to make me a Hot Toddy (SP) It was some kind of warmed up booze! I slept like a charm and throat stuff gone in am! (I think it was whiskey???):9

Buffy: Dog gone you girl.... now I am going to have to order CC 2 for my evening w/os... Where do I send the bill?:p

Kirsten: Thanks for sharing how you started looking at PM w/os... Its probably just about me stopping the "I donts, I cants, etc... Time for "I love to workout in the evenings!":7

Claude: GS Legs (GS= Goodness I'm Sore)! All Step & Abs and tonight CC???? Whats up? You trying to make me look like a slug over here??
x(

Have a great evening all if I miss you later.

Corinne: Great job on KPC and BTW I think your studies are amazing! What a wonderful full life you have!
Happy Happy Happy Thanksgiving break!!! Much deserved!

Well, chalk up 881 official calories to Imax2 (with 15 min KPC at the beginning). It will probably be more or less depending on how much I "bring it" everytime I do it. Now according to WW scale that would have chalked up about 10-11 APs. So, I was overestimating, but not by much!

Well, off to WI and meeting tonight. Oh, I need to go blow dry my hair, don't want any extra weight that I don't need....I'll let ya'll know!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.