VegX Check in Week of June 15

cindi1

Cathlete
This is a check in for anyone who is vegan, vegetarian, or considering some variant of vegx-ism. Share your eating and workouts, ask questions, vent, whatever you want.

I'll start a new thread each week if there is enough activity. Should we start with introductions?

I'm Cindi, 43, been doing Cathe, FIRM and a bunch of other stuff off and on since the late '80s with my most recent consistent effort being the last 6 years (had a long layoff while having children and adjusting to that).

I currently doing STS upper body workouts 2X a week and running 4 times a week. I'm pretty happy with my weight but would like to lose another 5-10 pounds of fat.

I'm eating a vegetarian diet with occassional fish. I'm concerned about eating to much soy and that is keeping me from going vegan. I've also tried going vegan and struggled with having enough fuel for my runs and weigh lifting so I'd like to hear more about what you all eat.

My DD (12) and DH are also vegetarians - have been for the last year. My two sons (12/10) eat vegetarian at home but when we eat out - they generally like to eat meat. I don't force them to eat vegetarian but I also don't prepare meat for them. They like all kinds of food.

I'm 39 and have been working out since 1985. Jane Fonda started it all for me. <3

Like many on this board, I've done all kinds of stuff over the years. Over the last year, I have settled on Cathe and Cardio Coach. I had a regular yoga practice going for 8 years, but that has fallen through the cracks.

Now I'm doing a 6 month rotation with STS. For fun, I used "Butts & Guts" today in place of my second STS Leg workout. This means tomorrow I will be "Sore & Crabby." :eek:

I've always had what I like to call Veg Tendencies, meaning I never officially considered myself a vegetarian, yet I consistently found myself staying away from meat, chicken, etc. I began eating chicken and fish when I started weight training with Cathe, but it didn't stick. I relied more on protein powders, eggs, and dairy.

I transitioned to the vegan diet 1.5 months ago. I got over the milk and eggs, but I still miss cheese. It has definitely been a learning experience. Not being quite sure of my food choices yet, I supplement my diet with a pea protein powder.

I'm the only vegan I know offline.

Hi I'd love to check in with you gals!:)

I'm 44, was a vegetarian in college and after till I was preg. with DS#1, and weirdly,craved meat. Then, about 5 years ago started gradually going back to vegetarianism. about 2 years ago made the official change and haven't eaten meat since then. I do eat dairy and fish though. Although lately, i've been a little off of fish too....

I've been working out since I'm 18. I've always been skinny and wanted to look more toned. In college my goal was to look like Madanna (she had great back muscles then) although I am embarassed to admitt that now!! **ha ha**:eek: I've done the gym, the firm, then cathe and now I am mostly doing AOS kettlebell workouts and Crossfit. Still, I love the check in friends I've made here, so I mostly do the checkins and blog my workouts. check my blog for todays workout if you want...:confused:

Okay, I guess that's it for now. I am a Nursery school teacher and am off for the summer!:) I teach 4 year olds. I am also married to a great guy for 15 years and have 2 boys: 13 and 9:):)

Lori, I am the only vegetarian I know and the only one who works out like I do too! sometimes trying to explain my workouts to friends, they just look at me like I'm from another planet!!:rolleyes::)

Cindi, Great idea for a checkin!:)

Have a great day and I'll check in later!!

I'm 39 and have been working out since 30, when I discovered my rear end resting on the back of my knees. :D Right now I am into really mixing up my training, and am having fantastic results combining P90x and Xplus with Jillian Michael's circuits. Also exploring some kickboxing and looking forward to Sean T's Insanity in July.

DH and I have been going veg slowly over the last year. First I quit buying meat except from local farmers, then we quit meat completely, and recently gave up fish. Next I hope to tackle dairy. I probably won't ever go 100 percent vegan but I have tendencies. :)

I know a couple of other vegetarians, and my friends and family are supportive of my food choices. Either that or they are just used to me. :) What I don't have is other people to work out with, which is a bummer. DH works out but even at the small gym I go to I'm considered something of a freak. Guess I must be doing something right. :)

Hi, Everyone.

I would love to join your check in.

I am 41 and have been a vegetarian for 10 years, first 3 of those I was a vegan. DH is mostly vegetarian but does eat fish. DS (7) and DD (4) are both vegetarians, but I will allow them to try something if they understand what it is. That said DS has started eating Tuna. Gave up being a vegan when DS was born because as luck would have it he was allergic to soy and with breastfeeding I wasn't allowed to eat it. So back came the dairy and the eggs.

I have been working out for 18 years and with Cathe since 2001. I am also part of the Maniac checkin.;)

This is a great idea. I have been vegetarian for over 16 years now. My mother was very supportive as her grandmother was vegetarian. I don't try to push my beliefs onto others as we all make our own choices. I will explain to others my reasons and what I perceive as benefits. My husband does eat meat, just not at home. His parents were veggies for a while as well so he's not opposed to meat substitute products, tofu, etc. I feel that if I can live a healthy life without eating meat, then that is what I will do.

I do get so sick of the question, "Well what do you eat?" Like there is nothing other than meat out there for sustenance. I live in the south so for most people, there is no food other than meat. Veggies are potatoes!

I danced (ballet) for over 20 years and started lifting weights, running, and step about 4 years ago when it was harder to find advanced ballet classes for adults (I'm 34 now). I discovered Cathe about 2 years ago through my sister. I workout 6 days a week, sometimes 7 I'll admit.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Heather

Hi Ladies!
My name is Shellie, I am 43 years old, 44 in August. I have 4 kids...21,18,16 and 14 and one grandbaby that is 18 mo. 21 year old DD and baby live with us...so needless to say we have a full house! My 18 year old DS is going to college in the fall.
I have been veg for a year. Mostly vegan for three months. I did this because of animal rights I just couldn't stand to be part of the torture of animals any longer. My DD is also now veg. I have a cousin that is a free lance writer and animal activist so she has helped make make the transition easier. I just started to get serious about getting all the animal products out of my lotions skincare etc. I have been replacing items with vegan items.
I have been working out since I had my 21 year old. It started with step classes. I loved it! I have ran lifted wights done the Firm. Now I mostly do Kundalini Yoga. It makes me feel awesome. I use tapes by Ana Brett and Ravi Sing. I get my cardio from Cathe or the treadmill. I also do Cathe's weightlifting tapes intermittently.
Cindi I am so glad you started this check in! I really enjoyed you all on the infamous EB thread! You are all so wise...we can learn so much from eachother!!
My biggest down fall is binging...even as a vegan I can binge. I've had eating dissorders in my background and I guess that unhealthy way of thinking about food never leaves. Any help on good eating would be appreciated!!! Take care all! :)

Hi all, love the idea of a check-in. I'm 48 and I've been working out since the early 80's. Jane Fonda records. :D Moved on to a gym and then to the FIRM in the early 90's and Cathe a few years ago. Currently, I'm doing the 6 1/2 month version of STS and I'm in my first week of Meso 3.

I've been vegan since '88, though we do slide some on the issue of casein as we buy some cheese that has it. DH went vegetarian around the time he was 18 and vegan around '94. We have two vegan boys 10 and 8 today. So, I have three dozen vegan cupcakes waiting for me to frost them right now for his baseball teammates tonight.

In the last year, we have some issues with the boys wanting to expand their eating to some dairy and eggs. I won't do it at home, but we've let up on them for some things (mostly baked goods) away from home. They aren't interested in meat, but they get tired of being "different." My youngest recently was upset and asking me how he could possibly find someone to marry him when he grows up, because in his experience there really aren't any other vegans out there. So, we had a talk about that, including the fact that he's got a lot of years before he needs to worry about that. ;)

Aw, Cathy. I empathize with your son's concern. :) My girls are omnivores, but they are homeschooled, which sometimes makes them feel "different." (Did I read somewhere that you guys homeschool too?)

Most of the time, they really like homeschooling and its perks. Plus it is becoming more socially acceptable. Yet there are times when I know they wish it wasn't an issue...like when they meet new kids and feel instantly judged the minute their homeschool status becomes known. Or when they are asked for the millionth time, "Do you take tests?" "Do you do stuff outside the house?" (DH always replies, "No, we lock 'em in the basement." :rolleyes: )

Tell your son I'd be thrilled if my daughters find cool vegan boyfriends! :)

I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's story - Just like I found on the EB thread - there are a lot of varieties of veg eating as we find what works for us and our families. (Cathy - that is a cute story about your son).

I'd like to hear how you all incorporate or don't incorporate soy into your diet. I have some real concerns about the healthfulness of soy (or too much soy I should say) and I think that has kept me from moving to a more vegan eating regimin. In some ways, I'm finding it easier to follow a vegan 'lifestyle' in terms of non-food products than eating fully vegan.

I don't digest soy very well. Any thoughts?

Good Afternoon!

Cindi~ I eat soy/tofu 2X a week. I have about 3 ounces each time. I'm not a fan of alot of soy either. I am thinking of switching from tofu to edamame beans. Some soy is okay, too much is not good. I eat so little protein I need some soy in my diet... You probably could get away with not eating any at all... PS::: I also try not to eat alot of chemicals, so I don't eat boca burgers or morningstar farms... (well, once in a great while, but not regularly;) )

I track my eating at fitday and try to stay around 1800-2000 calories. I shoot for a ratio of Fat: 30%, Protein 10% and carbs 60%. I never hit that, for me the carbs are almost always at 64ish, with my protein at 15% if I am lucky (sometimes higher) and fats a little lower. Most of my carbs are veggies, fruit and beans. Once a day I have some bread, or rice, or potatoes... Does anyone else track their food? I find so many rules don't apply to us, as far as keeping carbs low....

I love the kids stories!! I actually cook chicken or steak (if my kids ask). My kids and DH are not vegetarian, though they do eat mostly vegetarian meals. My boys are so skinny, I don't want to limit their food intake!! They eat alot, just have really fast metabolisms!!:eek: My younger DS lives on a steady diet of hot dogs and bologna (Hebrew national- best of the worst!?)

HTH!?

Hi everyone! I am 38 years old & have worked out with Cathe for about 5 years. Recently I have been mostly on my treadmill and would love to try Cardio Coach. I am married with no children but have 2 beautiful dogs & 1 cat.

I have been a vegetarian for years but about 1 1/2 yrs ago went vegan. Nobody else in my family is vegetarian and I have had to explain it to many people over the years. I get tired of people staring at my food to see what I am eating.

It's been fun to read other people's experiences and stories.

Becki

Thanks Deanie - that does help. I think you and I eat very similarly. I have tofu 1-2x/week and don't eat the boca burgers, faux products.

I eat fish maybe 1-2x week. I go back and forth on tracking my food - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I tend to give up when I have to track dinner because I'm too lazy to figure out my own recipes. :)

Even runner's world which supports a more carb focused diet recommends 50% carbs/25% fat/25% protein.

I was trying to get 15-20% - maybe I won't worry about it. :)

Lori we do homeschool. So far the boys haven't run into any negativity about it. They've played on a few different sports teams now without any problems. They rarely even get questions about it. How old are you girls? Maybe we can hook them up in a few years. :D

I would love to cut back on how much soy we use, but DH isn't keen to do so. I buy rice and almond milk for the boys instead of soy because they eat enough in the fake products.

I actually was raw for 26 months. Went back to cooked last fall. All the time I was raw I had no problems staying that way and then all of a sudden I just started feeling like I didn't want to do it anymore so I stopped. I never did figure out why, but my body clearly wanted to switch back.

Cathy - I also did raw for a while. Never 100% but I probably got up to 80%. I had a really hard time doing raw in the winter.

I still like to prepare raw dishes and we go to a raw restaurant here every couple of months or so. I LOVE their food.

We like rice and almond milk (oat milk too). Even the kids will drink these milks and actually prefer them over cows milk at times.

You ladies are inspiring! Thanks for sharing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.