Pentagenarians & Beyond! Week Beg 1/25

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Short on time today, we are getting ready to visit my Dad. We made a beef dish in the crock pot that you serve over noodles and we are taking that to him for lunch. I did Kelley C-M Chest, Back and Legs with the Ab work as the active rest sections. I like this pre-mix a lot.

It's 8 degrees here right now but very sunny with beautiful blue skies.

Garance, part of me wants STS to be delayed more...how crazy is that??
I do think it is strange that so many presidents were left handed..not sure what that means though!

Joan, this must be the crazy time for you with tax season! Good for you for getting those 5 miles in!

Waves Hi to Linny & Josie!

Stay warm!

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Cardio Sculpt (70 min.).

Deb, is it the dread factor kicking in on STS? My problem is that I have only done a few of the 1 rms because of the boredom factor. Just cannot seem to get into all this preparatory stuff. I am hoping I will get all fired up once STS is here. Hope your dad is feeling well and up to a nice visit. Do you bring Big and Little K with you? I know my mom just loved dogs and I've heard about how therapeutic they are for the elderly. My miniature schnauzer used to lift her spirits.

Hell didn't freeze over last night, Joan, and I just think the weathermen are trying to spoof us into thinking it will. It's 18 degrees, sunny, and virtually no wind chill. Just a solid winter day. Good for you on the treadmill. 2hrs is a lot.

Hi to Linny and Josie!

Hi Ladies:
Deb: Hope you had a good time with your Dad today.I'm sure he appreciates the home cooked meal.DH and I didn't go to celebrate saturday night.My DS came over with his XBox 360 and they got caught up in a game.Oh well we did go to Margaritas,which I love anyway.Maybe next weekend we'll do celebration.
Garance:I was good today and yesterday,worked out on elliptical both days.But I did make seafood fettucine and blueberry pie for dinner:eek:.I'l be sure to work that off tomorrow.Its been pretty darn cold around here.This morning I got up and it was 0:eek:
JoanC: I do think that hell is pretty close to being frozen;).Do you do anything fun this past weekend? DH and I went and saw The Wrestler on saturday.Mickey Rourke did a great acting job,he was so believable.I even had a few tears here and there.
Josie:Are you basking in the sun?I'm sure you have been working out like crazy as usual.
Have a good night ladies~Linny~

Good evening everyone,

Sorry Linny no fun this weekend. Probably not for the next eleven weeks. I usually work seven days a week during tax season. I don't think dh and I have been to a movie in the 37 years we've been married. Just not our thing. He did get me the book I had on order at library. Janet Evanovich's Plum Spooky was my afternoon break. Blueberry pie is in the fruit group isn't it?

Deb glad you were able to get to dad's. We have 1/2 inch of sleet on ground and are expecting 4-6 inches of snow. Beef dish sounds good.
I have started getting Seattle Sutton meal plan for my mother. Did you see the recipe for carrot cake pancakes in another thread? I couldn't decide if they would be good or not.

Garance, I 'm not sure 1 rm are really all that necessary as long as we make effort to keep increasing weights we use. After seeing some other dvd's that use 3 and 5 pound weights, I think some buyers of sts would not even consider 15 or 20 lb db. I'm not sure I will even start out using 65% of 1rm for the 1st cycle. I feel like I am just starting out again. I didn't really train as hard as I should have since Nov. I really do plan to follow sts faithfully but don't want to injure myself. I will probably increase weight weekly.

Hi Josie.

No wo yet, this may be rest day.

Joan

Last edited:
It's Monday..again!

Good Morning!

I did an I-Tread this morning, 35 minutes. It's 8 degrees here...brrrr...

Garance, yes it must be the dread factor with STS...all those 1RM's I have to enter into the new workout manager, whenever they get that done..1 hour workouts instead of my usual 30-40 minutes..Time in the morning will be scarce on the days I do STS. I may not get here on those days until evening so you or Joan may have to start the thread..Joan can start it in the middle of the night! No, we don't bring the "K's" with us to my Dad's right now, because of Kelsey's recouperation..too much moving around and it's hard to do that with Keegan there too. We had a nice lunch with him. We brought beef stroganoff.

Linny, I think I would have liked the Mexican restaurant the best too! YOu and DH really like movies! That's great!

Joan, you and your DH are like us, we have gone to a few movies, but maybe 12 in 27 years? What are Seattle Sutton meals? I didn't realize there was a new "Plum" book out! I will request it from the library, thanks! I did not see that recipe and I am glad! I am trying to stay away from all sugar laden things, candy, cookies, any baked goods etc. I went 12 days without then Saturday, caved in and had a few bites of DH's pancakes at breakfast, then later at a chocolate heart he bought me last week. I was doing so well too..yesterday was day 1 again.

Josie, how are things in your end of the country? still warm?

Have a great day!

This morning I did the horizontal premix on Kelly C-M's Cardio Kick Stepboxing (48 min.).

Joan, you have just enabled my 1rm laziness. I'm just going to make a rough estimate and wing it and then get heavier as I move into mesocycles 2 and 3. Since I will be doing a 6 month cycle, repeating each week as I go along, I figure I can tweak things if I feel like I should be going heavier.

Deb, I think you should use STS however you please, maybe doing the first half of each DVD the first week and the second half of each DVD the second week, which would also put you on a 6 month rotation as you move through the mesocycles. Sounds like you had a good visit with your dad. I love beef stroganoff. We just got our beef back from the butcher, and DH asked him to make a corned beef brisket. So that's what I cooked yesterday with baby Yukon gold potatoes and a creamy sauce with mustard, horseradish, chives. It was very yummy, so we will do that again next year with the brisket.

I so envy you, Linny. The films I want to see seem to take forever to get here. You must live fairly close to a metropolitan area. MMMM--blueberry pie! Did you make it with fresh blueberries?? Sounds like it's colder where you are. It's in the 20s here and they are saying more snow tomorrow night. Maybe I will go snowshoeing again. It's just so pretty after new snow--and it burns up some calories.

Hi to Josie in warm lalaland.

Hi Ladies,

I ended up spinning Saturday and Sunday and I was supposed to get up to do ME this morning, but I could not get myself out of bed. I could not sleep last night.

I will do ME when I get home. I did not do anything fun this weekend and it has been like that for the last 3 weekends. I need to get my DH and I out of this rutt. We also do not got to the movies very often.

Deb, How do you make your beef Stroganoff? My DD was asking me if I knew how to make it last week. Regarding the dunes, I can do those, but I need to burn more calories and spinning is a better wo.

This question is for all of you. Do you ladies go very heavy on your wo's?

Linny, Gongrats on your first week of day work. I also love Mexican food and have a great restaurant 1 block from my house.

Hi Joan!

This week is supposed to be cooler here in LA. It was in the mid 40's this morning and it is supposed to go up to 65.

Have a great day!

Josie

Yea sts is shipping. :D Unfortunately I didn't order until about Sept so no email yet.

I haven't done anything yet so will check in later with wo.

Official weigh in - 164lbs :D Another pound since Thursday and a total of 9 pounds since Nov.

Seattle Sutton is a meal plan that provides all food except milk. You pick up packaged fresh food twice a week on Monday's and Thursdays. They have 5 weeks of different foods and then starts over. You can see at www.seattlesutton.com I usually get mother 1200cal plan when I don't have time to cook. This time I got 2000cal plan and split it. I am giving my dh 1/2 lunch and 1/2 dinner for his dinner. That way there is enough food for him.

Supposed to have 4-6 inches of snow tonight thru tomorrow. Ok if snow but might be ice.

Joan

Hi Ladies:
Boy I'm so mad!!:mad:I hit a wrong button so I lost all posting:mad:
Deb:Hope you had a good time visiting with your Dad.I do love Mexican food,especially Margaritas Restaurant.Their margaritas are yummy,so is their guacomole.This coming week we'll probably do the celebration dinner.There is a little italian restaurant down the road,its quiet and kind of romantic.They bring fresh baked bread to table(my weakness)and fresh salads.They are a little expensive so we try to save it for a special occasion.
Garance:We do live pretty close to big movie theater.Probably 25 minutes away.We have a little one downtown which is about 3 minutes away,but they are closing and putting up a drugstore:(.Just what we need another drugstore.I think we have about 5 already in town.Blueberry pie was made with blueberries we picked this summer at the lake.I was good and brought lowfat icecream to go with it.Isn't STS being shipped this weekend?
JoanC:Sorry to hear no fun this past weekend.You'll have to make up for it after this tax season.I do believe blueberry pie is in the fruit group;)
Josie:California has some really good Mexican restaurants.My brother took us to one a few years ago and it was delish.It's 14 degrees right now and I heard on the news we are suppose to get 6-12 inches of snow wednesday.My DH and I are so glad that I work right down the street now.
Have a great night ladies~Linny~

Tuesday and I am off To Canada ...again!

Good Morning!

Today I did KCM's Biceps, Triceps, & Shoulders, plus the abs in beween sets. I did a weigh in and I am down 2 3/4 since Jan 5th..Amazing what cutting out just sugar can do! I leave for Florida for a work conference so I want to be able to fit into last summer's clothes:rolleyes:

Yep, today is another trip to Canada to visit a potential client..I am glad the snow is tonight, not last night..

Garance, did you get your shipping notice for STS? Mine says it will be delivered tomorrow. I will probably not start it until after I get back from Florida. I don;t want to start then stop..not sure though. I wish we had our own beef! Did you go snow shoeing yesterday?

Josie, sorry you had a bad night sleeping. On the beef stroganoff, DH is the cook around here, but I think I can remember what he did..we use a crock pot, cut up chuck roast is small pieces, with onions, portabella mushrooms cut up, red pepper cut up, and sometimes carrots. This time he forgot the carrots, and I didn;t miss them. Large can of cream of mushroom soup, about 1 cup of sherry, bay leaves, salt, pepper, to taste. We had it in the crock pot all Saturday. Served it over wide noodles...yumm! Regarding the weights, I try to go as heavy as I can but able to finish..I found that with the 1RM tests, I could really go heavier, but Cathe sometimes does so many reps and sets that you are exhausted, so I seem to use lower weights. If that makes any sense!

Joan, nice job on the weight! ;)..regarding that eating plan, is the place nearby?

Linny, it's so great that you have a very short commute now, especially with the weather we have been having! Are you still enjoying the eliptical? That Italian restaurant sounds like it would be wonderful, love Italian food!

Have a great day!

Good morning ladies,

Deb yes the storefront is within a mile. We actually have two about equal distant apart. They are open from 2:30 until 7:00 on Monday's and Thursdays. :D:DGreat weight loss.:D:D
I got my five miles in for Monday. I've got to get some weights in but have no ambition. I just wish sts would get here so I would have a plan.
No notification yet.

Joan

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 min. for back, legs, and chest together with 2 miles with Leslie (60 min.).

No e-mail notification yet on STS, even though I ordered on January 12, 2008. I tried the phone number, too, but UPS didn't have any information for me either through that means. I'm really curious to see how the whole thing is packaged from reading over at the open forum.

No snowshoeing for me until after it snows again tonight--maybe tomorrow. You really are fortunate to be so close to work now, Linny, with all the snow and other dreck falling from the sky we have had this winter.

Lucky you Deb--off to Florida! and good for you on the pounds lost. You and Joan are really doing well. I think I have lost 1/2 a pound, but it is such a slight shift on the scale I can't be sure. If the needle keeps staying between 136-137 I will take credit for it. All I have done is cut down my wine consumption by one glass per night and my portion sizes a bit.

Hi to Josie!

Hi Ladies,

Another sleepless night for me. I did not do ME yesterday and was planning to do it this morning, but I could not get up on time. I will be doing some cardio at lunch and will call my cardio partner to see if she will join me and do ME together. That way I will not have an excusse to skip it.

I got news from my DS about him and my DIL getting a divorce. She has been cheating on him and this is not the first time. My DS has given her so many chances and she is still causingl drama. I'm concerned about my DG's and my DS. He is such a good father and will be leaving on deployment again in May. This is what is keeping up at night.

Well, going to my work out. I will check in later.

Josie

Josie

No answers for you. Just sending <<<<<hugs>>>>>. We never stop worring about them. Good luck.

Joan

Hi Ladies:
We are suppose to get a big storm tonight,starting around 5am until 6pm.They estimate 6-12 inches in my area.Hopefully it will go more northward.
Deb:You bet I'm happy about shorter commute.I did use my elliptical this morning,got up at 5:30.I will do sun,tues,thurs and sat for two weeks than add a day every week till I'm up to 6-7days a week.Great job with the weight loss.Maybe I should try the no sugar thing,it will tough going for me though.When are you leaving for Florida? How do your trip to Canada go?
Garance:How much snow are you suppose to get in your area?I wish I could some outdoor sports with all this snow.Sounds like everyone losing weight except me:(
JoanC:Great job with weight loss.I try to do a body part with cardio.So today I did 40min on elliptical and then worked my abs.Since this perimenopause has started my stomach is getting huge.I feel (and look)like I'm pregnant.
Josie:So sorry to hear about your DS's troubles.Its tough when kids are involved.How old are your grandkids?Is DIL a good mother?We know she's not a good wife:mad:Prayers are with your family,I hope everthing works out for the best.Sounds like your son has enough to worry about never mind a cheating wife.
Have a good night~Linny~

Hi Josie, Linny, Deb and Garance
Back again with wo. I did butts & guts with only 1/3 of lunges. I'm sorry I did any of them. My knees are really feeling it. I think I get just as good a wo with floor exercises if I add a few to Cathe's. I just don't know why I don't do them more often.

Linny I know how you feel about belly. Even in my 20's and weighed 105lbs I always had a bigger than normal bump in front. Ten years ago I was told I had fibroids about the size of a grapefruit. Since it wasn't causing any problems they decided to not do anything about it. From what I have read less estrogen should make it shrink. Maybe this time if I lose weight it might not be there.

Josie I hope working out helps a little with the stress.

Deb I am jealous - Florida. Is your dog fully recuperated. You haven't mentioned him lately?

Garance Looks like 1/3 sts shipped. I looked back and I actually ordered in August not Sept. but I don't think that will matter. The booklet that comes with the dvd's sounds great. It looks like I would be able to take it to the gym and have enough info to do some wo there.

Joan

It's Hump DAy!

Good Morning!

I did a new I-Tread this morning, one that is supposed to help you transition from walking to jogging...uh, no I can''t go that fast! I was having a pretty hard time, walked most of the 40 minutes. :rolleyes:

Well the 6-8 inches we were supposed to get ended up being a dusting of snow..whew...glad for that.

Joan, that store sounds great..very convenient. Kelsey is coming along. She was doing really well, then Sunday she started favoring the leg a bit more, not sure what happened, she must have stepped down wrong, or something, but she is back putting weight on it again.

Garance, I would e-mail Customer Service at Cathe.com and give them your order number to see if they have it in process. Someone else had an issue and they responded right on the forum that they checked their order. Cathe posted pictures of the package and how the CD's are in it. I can see how the one glass of wine less would help, aren't they around 150 calories each? Just that drop alone can make a difference. Glad I don't like wine, it would be another thing to give up!:(..

Josie, sending you ((HUGS))) about your DS and DIL..so sad when a marriage does not work out, especially for the children. I hope they can make it as civil as possible, for the kid's sake.

Linny, I leave for Floriday Sunday 2/8, return Thursday. The trip to Canada was good, weather was perfect, sunny, no snow. Good for you for doing the eliptical and the plan.!

Have a great day!

Good Morning Ladies,

I was able to get some sleep last night and got up and did ME. Yesterday I ended up doing the elliptical at lunch for 30 minutes 2.7 miles and then I went home and ran 3 miles on the treadmill 36 minutes. I still have my running legs, they are just not as fast as they used to. I will get there though.

Thank you Ladies for your hugs. My DIL does love the kids and is a good mom.

Linny, I have not lost any weight, I don't know what is going on with my body.
Maybe I will wake up tomorrow and 5 pounds will be gone.

Josie

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Kickbox (53 min.).

I did get my notification on STS. I am supposed to get it tomorrow. I'm going to have to work out a plan of 3 cardios with the three weight workouts per week.

It's really coming down hard here in the Berkshires. Not very good for snowshoeing, though, because it sounds like it's going to change to sleet and maybe some freezing rain. Hate that stuff!! I don't mind the snow and would have liked to go snowshoeing again.

Josie, that's so sad about your DS and DIL, and, I imagine, tough on you. It must also be hard to deal with divorce if you are also being sent off to serve your country.

Linny, it sounds like you are getting your groove on now that you are not a vampire nurse anymore. If you enjoy baking sweets, it's hard to give up. I like to cook, and would like to do more desserts, but DH just doesn't want them anymore, and obviously, I don't need them. I just want an appreciative audience, so I have to wait until another dinner party.

Deb, you lucked out on this storm. I think it's headed your way, though, Linny.

Hi to Joan, the biggest loser here.

Good afternoon all,

I just finished ShovelMax. We got about 8 inches of snow. Dh had shoveled part of our driveway, but our neighbor is over 80 and if I don't shovel his driveway he tries to do it. I was so worn out I paid some kids to finish our driveway.:eek:

I think that will be wo for the day.

Only a minute for a break, so back to work

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.