Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7/20

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did X-Train Chest, Back & Shoulders, one of the shorter premixes.

Rainy and gloomy here yesterday and today. No excuse not to do the list of HouseMax stuff I guess. :rolleyes:

Valerie, your bill is about the same as mine, all get from them now is internet and land line phone and it's about $102 with tax etc. They keep slipping in a nickel here, a quarter there etc. I hate the cable company..what happened to no monopolies? They have no real competition.

Judy, so glad things are getting better with the situation with your FIL and the house is almost sold! I have Cathe's weight vest...I think it's 20 pounds, or you have the ability to make it 20 pounds? I haven't used it since I did STS.

Hi to Lynda, Lori and the vacationing Josie,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Sculpt Fitness (68:00).

I had a lovely weekend. Friday night, our friends had a garden party, and the weather was absolutely perfect. One of my former colleagues is a really serious gardener, and she has this gorgeous garden in a large, I would say half-acre, backyard, with fountains and multiple configurations of flowers, trees, grasses. Lots of good food and drink. Yesterday was Jacob's Pillow, with principals from the New York City Ballet, and the program was lovely--4 pas de deux by different choreographers, a solo by David Albrecht to "There ain't no sunshine when she's gone," and a second half performance of "Fancy Free," which is a 1949 collaboration by Jerome Robbins and Leonard Bernstein. This piece inspired a film with Gene Kelley and Frank Sinatra about 3 sailors on leave in NYC. Then we had another dinner party with friends, and the evening was once again so nice, so we were outside with a canopy of tree foliage lit up with hanging Japanese lanterns. Didn't get home until late from this one. And I don't have to cook tonight either because DH made an enormous batch of pesto on Friday with all our basil. I feel like I am on vacation.

It sounds like the weather is going back to the HHH this week, but I really can't complain because the weekends have been so nice.

We pay 206 dollars for cable, which includes 2 DVRs, whole house DVR for 3 TVs, our landline and wifi, computer. So it's about double what you are paying, but I really like it. I agree, though, that it's always a task to make sure that they aren't upping the fees every month.

Judy, that is so fortunate if you are able to sell the house this quickly. There are houses here that have been on the market for ages. It will make life so much easier for you when your FIL is closer to home.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

we did another ride today 23 miles in just over 2 hours. I am getting to be a much stronger rider, lots of wind but didn't slow me down at all.

so many fires in eastern WA that it's making hiking less appealing. those poor people, what a mess they are in. all kinds of places we.ve used and enjoyed for decades are up in smoke. fires are so bad here.... some years are worse than others.

Lynda sounds like at least you get more coverage for your $$. I felt we were getting ripped off for the amount we watched. envy your basil crop. this year it's been pathetic. will be august before anything is big enough to harvest.

Judy I agree on the house.. lovely if it sells this quickly. houses are moving well here right now if they're priced right but it will be one less thing to worry about when it's a done deal.

Started true Detective last night... this will be a good one I think. matthew mcconnaughy is creating a very quirky and original character. so is woody harrelson. just watched 1 episode.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

I have done a couple of great Cathe workouts this weekend. Yesterday I started off with x10 warm up then on to all three of Cathe's heavy bag workouts. This was about 47 minuets. Then continued on with barre from LLB, xtrain and LLA. This was another 40 something minute workout. After this I felt every muscle was worked. Today was...xtrain warmup, crossfire bonus step then Intensity boot camp...then I did STS meso 2 legs. Tomorrow will be a rest day for sure!

Lynda...you sound like you had a lovely weekend. The garden sounds beautiful! We went to friends for a BBQ last night and had a great time. Always fun when you are with good friends. We certainly have had some nice weekend weather.

Judy...my cathe vest is 10lbs. and I always forget to use it! I bought it more for walking then using it for weights but I have been wanting to use it with weights but never do. I am like Deb...I prefer not to use a barbell. I like my squat rack and get great use out of it...but will avoid barbells when ever possible. Good to hear about FIL's house!

Valerie...great job on cutting the cable bill. You are inspiring me to do something with ours.

Hi to Josie! Hope you are having a great vacation!

Last edited:
Good morning and Happy Monday,

Today I did the Sprint 8 workout plus Burn Sets Biceps.

I am off today, meeting my friend for breakfast.

Lynda, your weekend does sound lovely, all those nice weather outdoor get-togethers, and your favorite ballet theater! Did you have pesto and bread for dinner?

Valerie, that is terrible about the fires, those poor people. True Detective is not free on Prime...so did not put it on my watch list. I am almost finished with season 1 of Six Feet Under.

Lori, That was a tough combination of workouts! did you put them together with the workout blender?

Judy, anything further on the house offer?

Late class tonight, but at least we don't have our team practice today.

Take care,

This morning I did LLA (48:33) and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk after dinner.

Valerie, I watched True Detective when it was aired and really found it engrossing. McConnaughy's character is quite the philosopher--something like "Time is a flat circle....." I watched every episode twice because it seemed like such a complex mystery, and the characters were so compelling. I think I read that the plan is to have different actors/characters with a new season. Good for you on the cycling!

Deb, we have never had bread with our pesto--always fettucine and good tomatoes, which are just now starting to come in. We also each had one ear of corn (could not do more than one with all that fiber in the pesto!) that the produce manager insisted I try because it is sooo good. It was yummy. I know why this is a "Happy Monday" for you--you're off work for the day! Tra-la.

Lori, I like your typo--"47 minuets." I guess if you did that many 18th-century dances it might give you a good workout. My Cathe vest is 10 lbs. and I often used it with Leslie's walking workouts to give them a little boost.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good evening ladies!

No workout today. Needed a rest day.

Deb..the heavy bag I used workout blender and liked the x10 warmup to start out. The barre was from her demand. I hook my ipad up and it is so easy to pick and choose what workout you want to do.

Lynda!! Lol on the typo! I never noticed. Did your DH get the floating thing yet? Can't remember what they are called but I can picture one. I like using the vest for walking. For me 10lbs is perfect. Don't think I would be comfortable walking with anything heavier.

Valerie...so terrible about the fires. Have heard it mentioned on the news a few times. Wow...23 miles! That is great.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good morning,

It's back to reality today. Ugh.

Lynda, I thought you were just having pesto for dinner, LOL..that is why the bread question. Love it with pasta and anything! Yeah, what are those floppy things called? I'm sure there is a marketing name for them.

Lori, Sunday Syndrome? I'd like to see one of those minuets that you did. :)

Hi to Valerie, & Judy,

Work, then home to relax,

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did a 90 minute indoor ride.

This morning I did Medicine Ball abs, then STS Squat Rack legs Disk 38. I added the tricep sets from STS Meso 2, Disk 22 to finish the workout. For the leg workout I used the new vest, with 15 lbs added and 35 lbs on the barbell. It was challenging but not extremely so. I think I can add the 5 extra lbs to the vest for the next workout.
Tomorrow I have a massage and adjustment scheduled for before work and I think I will be ready for it.

Thursday SIL and her son fly in to move FIL to his new home. DH took Friday off so they will be moving him then.

DH & SIL accepted the offer on the house. Now I guess the buyer has to arrange their financing and there has to be a couple of home inspections before the actual sale.

We went to see FIL last night. I took my Kindle and we were able to do a Skype session with SIL in Colorado. That worked out better than I expected. FIL really perked up and seems to be happy about moving even though he is confused about the reason. He thinks the place he is at is closing down and that he has to move and no one can convince him otherwise. I have no idea how he got that idea. DH explained that we were moving him to be close to us..

More later,

Judy

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (58:00), and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, we use pesto as a pasta sauce, although I also mix it in with chopped spinach when I make the easy pesto lasagna recipe at Epicurious.com. They are called either air dancers or sky dancers, and DH is still trying to find a place to rent one. If it works, he may buy one, but they sell for about 300 dollars or more, depending on their height, so he would like to rent one first.

Is it just me, or is this summer flying by? I can't believe we only have 2 more Jacob's Pillow performances to attend and the days are getting shorter again.

Judy, maybe your FIL at some level feels the place SHOULD close down because he didn't like it. Does he know that his house has been sold?

Lori, I would put on my vest when I walk Max, but it's been so warm I think it would be uncomfortable.

Lynda I'm sure I'd get more if I watched each one twice but DH is not as interested as I am in this series, and I'm not sure when I'd watch it again. he thinks ( so far) it's boring. sometimes we don't like the same thing. He likes sons of anarchy and I just can't stand it...

We did a hike yesterday. Not that difficult but I wasn't feeling very good and had a lot of lower GU cramping. about 5.3 hours RT and 3000 feet gain. I need to take massive amounts of fiber supplements to function, and occasionally the same amount acts differently than usual. I'm OK today but yesterday was less good. went to yoga this morning as usual.

I'm going to suggest minuets for variety at yoga on Thursday!

Deb, I agree on bread... especially crusty chewy bread. I absolutely love it. I don't get much of it anymore ... just can't handle the calories. love it with pasta. I tend to go light on the pasta itself just so I can have a piece of bread! and pesto! love that stuff. especially pesto pizza with fresh tomatoes and cheese. my basil is growing so poorly that today I bought a pot of basil to transplant into my garden... all Lynda had to do was mention "pesto" and I can't stop thinking of it. my basil is still so small it won't be ready to pick for weeks. these are bigger plants that should be OK to harvest some of in a couple days.

Judy hope FIL does better in the new place. maybe more attention will help boost his spirits. ETA...seriously? 35 on a barbell plus 15 in the vest? wow. that is a lot to do repetitive exercises with.

we are getting some rain, more tonight and tomorrow. what happens west of the mountains, vs east is not always similar... we are hoping the east side gets rain without any more lightning.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

No workout this morning. We were up late last night so I needed that extra hour for some much needed sleep. Tonight I did Cathe's Live Hardstrikes. This one works perfectly with the heavy bag. Love this workout.

Judy if you end up getting a heavy bag try this workout out using it. I think you will really enjoy it. How do you like your tower? Great that an offer has been accepted. Hope things move along quickly for you.

You guys are funny....I am with you Valerie as all I can think of is pesto!!!! Going to have to get something with pesto for lunch tomorrow. I'll let you know what I end up with!

Lynda...wow who would have thought those dancers cost that much! Don't blame you for renting and trying it out first.

Deb....yup those dreaded Sunday Nights!

Hi to Josie!

Good morning,

I got up early and did a workout, part treadmill, then STS Total Body, lower body premix.

It is very humid here, hopefully this will only last a day or two more.

Judy, the last place I would want to go after a massage would be work. Maybe it's good that your FIL thinks the place is closing. No way to refuse to move. Glad the house sold so quickly!

Lynda, you should go ask a car dealer where they get them from. I am sure they probably rent them. That's where I usually see them. Yes, the summer seems to be flying by. It's like there is something going on every weekend, and the countdown to fall is going fast.

Valerie, glad you are feeling better...we do the same thing with basil, just buy a pot every spring and keep it in the yard. Ours was doing so well that John separated it and put a smaller pot on the windowsill in the kitchen. I just tried it on pizza recently and really like it a lot.

Lori, sometimes you just have to get that extra hour of sleep in.

Hi to Josie,

Take care,

This morning I did Burn Sets ch, ba, sh (50:40) and last night took Max for a 3 mile walk.

Deb, DH is the basil grower and pesto maker in our house. His recipe is from the NYTimes and dates back to about 1980 when we got hooked on pesto and bought a cuisinart. A bumper crop this year, so he's been making batches in the morning, and the house smells heavenly when I am working out and he's doing his thing. We freeze a lot of it and pull it out in the winter for a big taste of summer.

Valerie, that's why we have two TVs. I have no interest in watching the Deadliest Catch, golf, or the Red Sox every night. He did like True Detective though, but we watched it at different times. What are GU cramps? Something gastrointestinal? I'm still waiting for a minuet DVD. There's zumba, bellydancing, hip-hop, Bollywood, so why not minuet?

Lori, I think he's checking with Carr hardware on the skydancers, but they may have only the seasonal ones for holidays or Halloween. The Halloween ones might be scary enough.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Whoops that would be "GI" cramping. typo.

would have never guessed those things are called sky dancers, or that they're so expensive. agree with Deb, car dealers use them a lot. Cactus are the popular ones out here.
Raining today and it's lovely. not too hard, but steady so everything will get soaked nicely. not sure what's happening on the east side of the state, but hopefully they will get similar rain to help with fires. Weather is NOT always the same although not many miles apart. we had only a couple little rumbles of thunder and flickers of lightning, nothing major.

Have to do an indoor workout today, too wet to hike or ride. I will get sore. ugh.

Good evening ladies!

No workout again this morning. I must really need my sleep lately! I ended up doing another heavy bag workout again tonight. Followed up with 100 thrust challenge. Been ages since I did the thrust. Was really feeling it towards the end.

Deb...great workout! I should look into the sts lower body premix. I bet it is a great one.

Valerie...I completely understand GI issues. I am the same way. Have had issues all my life. No matter how much fiber I consume some days good some days not so much.

Lynda..we are suppose to get real heavy rains tonight. We need it been so hot here. Ha! The halloween ones would be hysterical this time of year! They may do the trick for you too.

Have a great night ladies. Hi to Judy and Josie!

Did Flex train today as it was raining and no outside workout. whole lot of rain, but unfortunately on the east side of the mountains it was pretty violent with thunder, lightning, and heavy rain and hail. we were hoping for just non exciting, soaking rain. whole towns have been out of power for a week and this is the tourist season when they make most of the years income. Sigh... sunny and dry has it's downside.
DH was concerned thinking we'd really backed off on working out, but I have my 2 hrs of yoga a week and she works us pretty hard, core and upper body. so I backed off on weight on flex train and used 5 / 20 lbs for everything but it didn't seem too hard. I expect I'll get sore because it's different from what I've been doing but I'm not expecting to be "walking wounded". we'll see.

Lori, I could write a book about fiber supplements..... it rules my life. wheat bran and psyllium are 2 out of my 4 main food groups. no matter how much water I drink or giant salads/vegetable plates I eat, it's never predictable. I am OK with dealing with it most of the time because everyone has something to deal with... and this is my issue....and maybe yours.

This morning I did All Out Low Impact Hiit with Core 1 (49:22).

Lori, we did get some rain, but it was much less than they predicted and less fierce, too. The chickens just love coming out after the rain to look for bugs.

DH is getting a 4th batch of chicks today, so maybe he will go ahead with the skydancer plan. The last group is pretty smart now and when it hears the fledgling shriek, immediately seeks cover. The new chicks will be in the brooder for awhile before they begin to range.

I am thinking of trying poppies again. For several years I planted them, and they just never took off, so I gave up. But a neighbor down the road had this wildly colorful patch this summer, so I want to try again. Currently my bee balm, zinnias, and nasturtiums are cheering me up with their color.

I think Project Runway starts again tonight. Love this show and some of the wild challenges these designers are given.

Did get a little sore from Flex Train even using light weights, but nothing serious. went to yoga this morning and she was brutal... I asked if she was trying to kill us all before 8 am! all in all, I'm only sore in a couple odd places but resolve to get back to doing regular upper body & core workouts even when I'm riding and hiking several times a week.

more sunshine coming back tomorrow but we got a good soaking rain and that has way reduced new fire danger... but it's not even august yet.

Lynda have you grown coneflowers? I'm not sure how hardy they are but here they are perennials. I love the purple ones.

Good evening ladies,

This afternoon was 32 minutes of Barre and tonight was Cathe's Live Class -Cardio with Bands and Weights. Was a lot of fun. I love in her Live clases how natural she looks. She even wore glasses in this. Her makeup is not as heavy if any at all. I get that she needs to be all made up in her videos but it is a refreshing change to see her like me. All sweaty at the end! Then took Chester for a short walk. He enjoyed it and it was good to get him out.

Lynda...poppies sound wonderful. All your planting actually sounds beautiful. I wish I enjoyed gardening. I like the looks of it I just do not enjoy the work. A wine vendor was in the office today and he mentioned about going to Jacob's Pillow in the Berkshires. Is there a wine show of some sorts there soon? Anyways I smiled and thought of you!

Valerie...flex train can be tough. I find the shoulder press sequence to be brutal. Some days I can do 8lbs and some I need to switch half way to fives. I have never heard of coneflowers. Going to look these up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.