Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B 5/3

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning,

Slept pretty well last night, now I am having , and planning on doing STS #7, when I wake up a little.. It is cool here right now, hopefully it will get better as the day goes on.

Garance, I will hunt down that Murad for you! Why do you need 3 bands? the ones I saw on line only had you using one. But when you bought them, you got 2 in a pack for some reason. I may have to break down and get them...sigh, this STS is costing more than I had thought. Did you get your weighted gloves? are the ones in Cathe's store the same ones she wears that she can add and take away weight?

Joan,I use my HRM when I use the extra weight plates I have...PlateMates, and no problems. It is funny though when I wear it on my treadmill, my treadmill also has a HRM and a chest strap and it picks up the heart rate from the strap from the HRM too. WTG on the calorie burn. be carful though, would not want you to get hurt with all the yard work on top of regular exercising!

Have great day!

Hi,

Just finished STS #7..wow how many push ups can one person do???:eek:

Garance,

Got one for your for $50. inc shipping...I sent the receipt to your personal e-mail..

Deb

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did disk 19 for the second time for chest, shoulders, tris (69 min.). I do the chest presses with a 37.5 barbell, then 40 lb., then 42.5 (double wave again). On shoulders, I have real problems doing over 12 lb. dumbbells for overhead press, but I try to do all of them with the 12 lb. ones and the final 8 with 15s, but I usually go to failure early. This is when the gloves would help. Deb, I don't know about the gloves. There was a negative review of them over on the Open Forum--both on sizing (my hands are very small--size 6 glove) and convenience. On the bands, they came in a set of 3 from Woodybands, and I don't use them for an assisted pullup because I can't get my knee high enough to get in the band. I have my own wacky way of modifying the move! I have a band in each hand looped over the bar, I am sitting on the floor, and I pull myself up while also pulling down on each lat. The two pullups I do are totally unassisted and DH says my face gets as red as a tomato doing them. I told him to stop watching!! You will be so happy, Deb, when you move into meso 2 There are no pushups in meso 2.

On to happier matters!! Thank you so much for the essential-C. Send me your address again by e-mail so I can send you a check. I decided I needed some new cardio, so I bought Kimberly Spreen's Cardio Combat surge and Amy Bento's Kickbox Surge at fitnessfly.com. There was a promo code MD2009 for Mother's Day which knocked off 8 dollars and free shipping, so I was pleased. Some good reviews over at the Open Forum.

Joan, I saw your dream. I have some really odd ones. Last year I had a dream where I was a turtle. I wonder what Freud would say about that? I can't remember what the rest of the dream was about, but I was really happy when I woke up and I wasn't a turtle anymore.

Good morning all,

I must not be completely awake. I just typed my reply and forgot to submit it. Here we go again.

Yesterday's raking only used 500 calories and was less than the 7 cal a minute. Five miles on the treadmill was 764 calories. To get the 2400 calories used I need over 3 hours of moderate activity(I usually get none without a wo) and over 10000 steps(probably more since I don't wear armband except for wo). I did use up just over 2400 calories yesterday.:D You would have laughed to see me try to get the last 250 calories burned between 11:30 and midnight.

I bought my weight gloves at Target and am very happy with them. They had a couple different ones.

I'm off to clean my wo area. Need to be ready for sts.

Joan

It's Monday

Goofd Morning!

I just finished a 30 minute I-Tread, and it was a tough one for some reason. The body did not want to cooperate. I got through it though.

Joan, I can't believe the number of calories you are trying to burn each day. Be careful..Are the gloves that you got at Target, like Cathe's or do they have the little weights that you can pull out easily? Let us know what you think of STS.

Garance, I want to use that 20% off coupon that we got for ordering the tower, and was going to use it on the gloves, but like you said, the reviews over in the Open forum were not that great. Apparently the site says they come in 3 sizes, but when you actually order, there is only one size..not like Cathe to have a mix up like that on her site. Lots say they weare them over their lifting gloves and they fit better that way if you have a small hand, which I do too. If you have to stuff that fabric or stuffing into some small hole or something, between sets, at least in Meso 1 you will definitely not have the time. I also have all the DVD's that I want from here, so not sure what I am going to do. Did you do all cardio for your rest week, or did you do a rest week between Meso cycles?

Waving Hi to Josie and Linny..

Good morning,

Deb I only have lifting gloves not weighted gloves. They are padded and help when lifting heavier.

"Official weigh in" 167.5lbs almost back to my pre vacation weight.

You're right about overdoing it I do feel it in my bones- back and ankles.

I'll probably only do dvd's on weight days and try to be a little more active.

Elliot starts back with me tomorrow. I will have her Tues, Thur and Fri in May.

I'll check back in after wo.

Joan

Good Morning Ladies,

I ended up going to San Diego to visit my DS and DGS's. I'm glad that I went because they are goint out to sea for practice befor their deployment on the 27th. We celebrated his birthday since he wont be back until May 11th. That is his birthday.

Deb, thank you for looking for the foundation here is the link to the one I need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4. I usually pay $50.00 for it, so anything under that would be great. It is the powder the I need.

Linny, Where are you? I hope that everything is going well with you.

I will post my workout for the week later. Have to get back to work.

Josie

This morning I did Gay Gasper's All-out Infused step (63 min.).

Deb, I never did a rest week between mesos 1 and 2. I just forged ahead. I, too, want to use my next 20 % coupon, and I am thinking more risers and the incline riser. I won't use it until the end of the month, though. I have all of Cathe's DVDs and videos, and I ordered the STS Cardio (used the 20 % coupon for my tower on that), so it will have to be more equipment.

I had my teeth cleaned this morning--the second time with this new dental hygienist. She practically smothered me!! The last time I went my hair looked like I had just gotten out of bed and I wasn't sure I still had one of my contacts. She does a too-great job, if you know what I mean. DH agreed with me and reminded me to wear my glasses this time.

Joan, so you will be doing STS every other day and just trying to be more active for your cardio?

Josie, did you make the recipe for penne and sausage?

Yoohoo, Linny, where are you?

Garance,

I will try to do all of Cathe's ab and cardio recommendations. I just may add more treadmill/walking with Elliot in addition to the Cathe cardio. Either that or take more advil and do the extra treadmill seven days a week.

Joan

Hi Ladies:
Sorry wasn't able to post for awhile.Had to pick up DGD right after work wednesday night and then bring her home thursday night so no computer time.Friday was another late night at work,I hope friday nights slow up soon.DH isn't going to be to happy waiting for me to go to lake friday nites.
DH has all the framing done in kitchen and all the electric wires are all set and inspected.Tomorrow is insulation and then drywall.Its going to be a mess when all that sanding starts.
Deb:Sounds like you're been doing pretty good in the workout dept. Good Job! I'm still having a hard time motivating myself.Down 8 pds since the start of Atkins diet.I can't wait until I get under the 160 mark.
Garance:That penne and sausage sounds yummy.Too bad I can't have pasta.I did see a good recipe on the foodnetwork. Giada at Home made Baked Gruyere and sausage omelet. I bought the ingredients and plan on making it this week some time.
JoanC: Good job with the weight loss.Glad you had a had a nice vacation.
Josie:please send me some energizer bunny vibes.Especially in the morning.I did workout thurs,sat and sunday this past week.I need to push myself during the week,just so hard to get out of bed.
Have a great night ladies~Linny~

Back again,

I finished no equip abs about 9:00. I can tell it's been months since I did abs. I couldn't even climb the rope to sitting.

I had entered the same starting weight on the wo card as I had originally started and had to lower that weight on 5 exercises. I had almost used 2nd start weights that were higher. They say you start to lose strength after two weeks and lose all gains after 3 months lf no lifting. I shouldn't be surprised.

Yea I'm done. Calorie burn total after walking an hour on treadmill 2100.

Josie glad you got to see your son.

Linny 8 pounds is great. How are you cooking with kitchen torn up?

I had promised to take my mother to get a haircut today. She came into the living room to put her shoes on. This is tough because her feet swell so much. She sat on the sofa instead of a chair, thinking because it was lower it would be easier to put shoe on. She couldn't stand up. It took 15 minutes trying all sorts of different methods. I finally had to lift from behind while she leaned on walker. (She normally only uses cane, but at least we had walker.)

I wish I could find some way to get her stronger. I know she needs to exercise but I don't know where to start. She's 83 but pretty healthy. At 220 lbs she only eats 1000-1200 calories a day, but can't lose because of no activity.

Joan

Ladies, It's Tuesday!

Good Morning,

I just finished an I-Tread, not sure what is happening but I feel like I am going to keel over when I am done, and my HRM shows some wimpy calorie burning..mmm..I wonder if the battery is going or something?

It's only 43 degrees here, when will we get some real spring? I have 2- 6 packs of Giant Zinnias to plant. I love these flowers they make such great flowers for cutting. Those and my daylilies. I can't wait!

Joan, I have lifting gloves too, have used them for years. I can't pick up a weight without them anymore, it feels strange. Advil will be your friend if you do STS and other cardio plus the treadmill! I had to lower a lot of my weights from my 1 RM's too. I just decided to do whatever I could and I basically ignore the 1RM's. What is hard is that you repeat the exercises in different workouts, but you don't remember what you used the last time, so that you can add a little or see if you improved. On your Mom and getting some exercise, I have seen some good workouts for people in chairs, etc on Collage..maybe something where she can remain sitting to start? They are in the speciality section I think..I know at the memory facility my aunt is in, one of the activities they do is they are led by a person to do all these movements and the are all sitting while they do them.

Josie, It was great that you got to celebrate with your DS before he is deployed...e-mail me your address. ([email protected])..This way I can get the actual shipping costs when I find the one..I can get the one that you put in the link right away if that is a price you are happy with.

Garance, I was LOL at your description of the hygenist "hovering" over you..what is up with that? I have the slanted risers, you get 2 when you get them at Amazon. I will have to "shop" over at Cathe store again to use this coupon.

Linny, WTG on the weight loss! ..maybe if you tell yourself you will do 15 minutes on the eliptical, then have a cup of coffee or whatever your favorite morning drink is, it will help get you going..I know if I say I will do 10 minutes, then if I feel awful I will stop, I usually just keep going. It's the first 10 mintues that are hard to get through.

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

Now wo for me yesterday. I ended up doing the things that I could not do on Sunday due to my trip to San Diego. Today is my 90 min walk at the beach.

Linny, Welcome back and congratulations on your weight loss.

Garanace, I made the penne pasta last night and it was delicious. My DH and DD loved it.
My DD helped me with the pereparation and said that she would keep this one for when she gets married. I have enough left over for tonight. I ended up using spicy turkey sausage from Jennie O.

Deb, I will e-mail you my address. Thank you very much! I need the one in latte if you find it.

Joan, I will be in New York next week and I know that I will be gaining some weight. That is the only thing I hate about vacations.

Have a great day!

Josie

This morning I did disk 20 for legs the second time (50 min.).

Boy, I couldn't get on the forums at all for a couple hours. I wonder if they were down or it's my network system here at the college. (?)

I made another really good and easy recipe last night--pork chops in a peaches and brandy sauce. Really scrumptious. Oven-roasted some baby yukon golds with quartered onions and a salad on the side.

Linny, that omelet sounds really good. I love gruyere cheese--it's so nutty. But how are you going to cook with the kitchen all torn up?? Congrats on your weight loss!!!

Deb, do you start your state fair zinnias with seeds or do you buy the seedlings? I bought a big flat of them last year and they were doing fine until we had these mind-boggling thunderstorms that flattened everything.

Josie: two restaurant recommendations. La Boeuf A La Mode on the upper east side. They have a website. French family-owned and they have been there forever. For NYC, they are cheap. They have a prix fixe dinner for 45 dollars, and that includes a lot of choices and dessert. Molyvos in mid-town Manhattan. Greek restaurant. Wonderful food.

Joan, that must be so difficult for you with your mom. Deb's right about the specialty workouts at Collage. A lot of them are for people sitting.

Good afternoon Deb, Garance, Josie and Linny,

I couldn't get on forums during Elliot's nap either, must be them.

I always use my own seeds for zinnias after the first year. That's one of the outdoor flowers I can grow. I just got a cymbidium orchid plant for inside. It is beautiful . Orchids are about the only inside plant I can grow. I guess it's because I water them so seldom and don't have full sun.

I did do Imax 2 but it was so modified as to be unrecognizable.

Only 1323 calories used so far today. I better get moving.

Joan

Hi Ladies:
Just got back from shoe shopping. A patient at work really needed new shoes and I know her DH doesn't have any money.I hope they fit her,if not I'll be returning and getting her another pair.
Deb:Hope you get to plant your flowers this weekend.My kids usually buy me tea rose plants and for some reason I really have good luck with them. I need a kick in the butt to get out of bed,then I know I'd exercise.
Garance:pork chop recipe sounds yummy. I won't lose my stove and sink till probably this weekend so I'm still planning to make that baked omelette.I'll have to find some microwave meals to make or I can use my crockpot for next week.DH finished insulation today and tomorrow is putting up the drywall.Cabinets were delivered to store yesterday ready for us to pick up.
Josie:Do you have family that you are visiting in NY? I hope the weather isn't too hot for your vacation.
JoanC:Sorry to hear about your DM's physical problems.Would her doctor refer her to rehab for strengthening? If you can find a good one they can work miracles.
~Linny~

Hump Day!

Good Morning all,

Well the site is back!

I did STS #8 today...my arms feel like wet noodles right now. :eek:. Kelsey has a vet appointment at 830, to check out her other back leg, which she has been limping on...does it ever end? Keep your fingers crossed for her please, hope it is not another torn ACL...I don;t know if I could go through that again, or put her through it for that matter. :(

Josie, got your e-mail...I will get one for you, have it shipped to your house. Here is a link that I found...is this the exact one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Jane-Iredale-Pressed-LATTE-Powder-Pure-Mineral-New_W0QQitemZ260405192604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca15be79c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50 Yay for vacations, even if you gain a little, it's worth it!

Garance, no seeds for the zinnias..we have the seeds, but forget to plant them every year. I got 2- 6 packs of plants. I hope I can get them in this weekend, but I am afraid that it is still too cold for them to be outside. What do you think? I ordered a pull up band..it was $29.95, free shipping...sigh, I hope we get the tower soon..I can't afford any more stuff for this series! Still haven't decided what to use the 20% off coupon on...

Joan, tell me your secret on the zinnias! I would love to keep growing from seeds. When do you start them and where do you keep them? do you have grow lights? Over 1000 cals per day is a lot!:eek:

Linny, you have a heart of gold! buying shoes for a patient, that is so thoughtful. Yes, microwave and crock pot are about all you can use...this is the time to be too tempted to get take out and pizza...RESIST if you can! lol...

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Good morning,

Deb I plant the seeds directly in the garden. Since the zinnias are in my cutting bed in back of house I can wait a little while for flowers. I try to have the beds ready to plant by the end of April.

Linny You are so nice to buy shoes for patient.

Tuesday ended with 2062 calories used for day and 1514 calories eaten.

The doms have struck. I hurt so much more than I did the first time. I think I need to do the stretching after. I will need to get to the gym today to do the pull ups for disc 2.

Joan

Hi Ladies,

I will be spinning this evening. I can't get up in the morning and it is driving me crazy.
I just can't get motivated.

Deb, That is the foundation that I need. Thank you for doing this.

Garance, Those pork chops sound delicious!

Linny, You are so nice for buying shoes for your patient.

Joan, I do not do any gardenig, my DH is the one with the greenthumb. We have plants all over the house and some of them look like trees.

Josie

This morning I did 5 miles with Leslie (63 min.).

The rule here on planting is to wait until Memorial Day unless it's pansies or lettuce. DH uses a lot of seeds in the vegetable garden--except for tomatoes and basil--but I haven't tried to do annual flowers by seed in a long time. We have such a short growing season here. My perennials are doing great now that we have had some rain.

I went out to lunch with a friend today. The club sandwich was humongous! I only ate half of it. What a waste! I don't know why they serve such large portions, given the rising obesity of Americans.

Deb, good luck with the pullup band! Hope it works for you. I think you are tempting fate if you plant those zinnias this weekend. We could still have a frost. I guess you could cover them. Did you see DWTS? Your cowboy is still in the competition, despite his rather stiff performances.

Linny, that is really sweet of you to buy shoes for one of your patients. Tonight I am making Italian wedding soup from Ina Garten's Back to Basics cookbook. I made the meatballs this morning and tonight I will make the soup.

Joan, you are in Missouri, right? I think you are in a much milder planting zone than I am.

Josie, my DH is also the one with the green thumb, but he is a farmer and will help me with flower-planting but is not that enthused unless it's veggies. He did help me spread some peat, topsoil, and manure mixture over my beds this spring, so I will have some nice rich soil for my flowers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.