Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 4/11

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning fellow Pentagenarians!

I started a CLX rotation ( Chalean Extreme from Beachbody) today, it's a 90 day rotation, with 3 phases, similar to STS, but the weight workouts are 35 minutes. It comes with it's own cardion too, they may be longer, not sure yet. If they are too long I will just use my treadmill and follow with her abs according to the rotation. Hopefully I am able to stick with it.

Everyone must have been pretty busy yesterday, we waited until about 2:30 for the furnace repair guy, just to find out that our contractor switched off some valve when they took out the radiator for the bathroom and did not put it back on. All the water was out of the one system, which is why we were not getting heat...:rolleyes:..The guy was so apologetic for being so late, and since it was not really a repair, did not charge us anything...that was nice anyway.. wait till I see those contractors tomorrow though...

Garance, cudos to you for being able to even do P-57. The dread factor is so great for me that I don't even consider using it any more...I know that is not the way to go about it, if I tried it a few more times I could probably get better. It was painful not only to do, but to watch in the mirror ...:eek:

It's still a little chilly here, around 50 degrees, but the sun is shining.

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did the 57 min. P-57 workout. I guess I am the proverbial glutton for punishment. I just feel these are the best workouts for my lower body.

Deb, I did find Dog Fancy when I went grocery shopping this morning, but they were already selling the May issue and no sign of the April issue. Phooey! Did you buy Chalean from Beach Body? I have read that Beach Body is really not a good place to buy from over at Videofitness. Are the cardio workouts high impact or manageable?

We are going to try a new Vietnamese restaurant tonight for dinner. The review made it sound pretty interesting, and we are always up for something a little different where we live, which has one terrible Chinese restaurant, and one just-okay Mexican restaurant.

I would be pretty mad at the contractors too.

Well, one tutorial this afternoon and then I have to bone up on crazy William Blake, Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

hey ya'll.
deb- i don't usually have the kids on the weekends. but, i do have a 13 yr. old & a 15 yr. old girls at my house every weekend. :) quite challenging at time. :) the 13 yr. old is my neice. the 15 is a friend from church who is in a pretty difficult home life. actually, she kinda hates her mom. but, it is a long story. anyway, they are at my house cuz i have horses and they ride all weekend and go to church w/me. it is a ministry that the LORD has given me, but it is kinda frustrating at times. girls are soo hard. i had one son, who was a wonderful child. so, girls are a bit of a challenge to me. but, they LOVE my grandkids and help me w/them alot when they are here.

today, i did heavy lower body. i may not be able to walk tomorrow.

Monday

Good morning,

I did a 40 minute I-tread, 323 calories burned.

Garance, I got the CLX from a friend. I have not viewed the cardio DVD's yet, but I have a feeling they may be high impact, knowing how the other Chalene stuff is. I will let you know. The weights are a little different, compound moves, at least in this first phase, but they are only 30 minutes long, which I like. I have purchased 2 other things from Beachbody and did not have a problem, but I have heard the same about them.

Cathy, those girls are lucky to have you around, especially the one that is in "MoM Hate" mode right now. At least she is doing something that is good for her, it could be worse. I saw your post to the rotation of Cathe's over at the rotation forum, I feel like you do. I can't imagine being able to complete those workouts each week.

Hi to Joan, Valerie & Josie,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Just Dance (51 min.). I now love this one and feel like a real dancer. She chooses the best music.

Cathy, I grew up with three sisters, so I was really hoping I would have a girl, but had two boys instead. They would always tell me that I was lucky not to have a girl because in their (vast!) experience, girls were harder to deal with. Hmmm! I did have a great time with all of their sports, although this is not uncommon for girls anymore. Anyway, it's very good of you to give them your time and care and it sounds like you have a totally positive impact.

Deb, I will be interested in the "results" you get from Chalene. I would say the Sculpt workout from BBL is also compound moves. I am going to do Gym Style for the upper body for a couple more weeks, and then I may return to STS for upper body and continue with P-57 and BBL for lower body.

Hi to everyobody else!!

Hi Ladies,

The Saturday ride was beautiful! We rode through orange groves, strawberry groves, avocado groves etc. Garance I was thinking about you when we were passing some farms. The weather was cool and overcastted, so it was perfect for the ride. It took us
10 hours including 4 pit stops and lunch. My left shoulder was a bit tight, but overall I felt very good. I got home and took a shower and went out to dinner and dancing and got home about 12:30. I was supposed to do a 35 mile recovery ride on Sunday, but I did not wake up on time. I had a long Saturday that started at 4:30 AM.

Deb, good luck on the new rotation!

Cathy, I have been lucky with my DD and DS. No problem raising them.

Garance, you must have buns of steel by now doing the P-57 workouts. My DD is enjoying them. I have not tried them yet.

Joan, are you almost done?

Valerie, where are you?

Josie

Tuesday

Good morning,

I just finished CLX Burn Circuit 2. I have to leave early today, going to a Stephen Covey seminar, "The 4 Principles of Execution". Joy.

Garance, I should go over to Collage and view the clip of that workout. I will keep you posted on the CLX results. I viewed some reviews of it, and one woman said she gained 10 pounds!! :eek:..That is not what I want to have happen.. she wrote that she did not change anything at all, her eating was the same etc etc...I can't see how that could be. I have not had any kids, but believe girls can be harder than boys, I was definitely a challenge for my Mom in my teen years.

Josie, I wonder how many calories you burn on one of those rides? It would be interesting to know that. I am a numbers junkie, can you tell?

Hi to Valerie, Joan & Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy,and Valerie--

This morning I did GS Back, biceps,and shoulders (51 min.).

Josie I would be interested, too, in how many calories you burn on those rides. Is it like marathons, where they recommend carb-loading? Sounds like you didn't tire very much, though, if you went out for dancing later on the same day.

So this afternoon it's poems by Hughes, Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell, and then a dept. meeting. Loooong afternoon!

Deb, did the reviewer indicate whether she thought she had gained 10 lbs. of muscle?? If it's just lbs., I would be pretty upset. Are you watching DWTS? Boy, is Kate Gosselin awful or what? She has less rhythm than a chair being moved around.

Hi to Joan (poor thing!), Cathy, and Valerie!

Hi all. Back from a 3 day weekend that didn't work as planned. Do any??
Went to the San Juan islands, 1 hr ferry ride. weather forecast was very good and we expected crowds so got there early. wasn't crowded at all! we sat waiting for almost 2 hours the boat was not half full. We're still nervous with our camper and weren't sure we could get down a road. Got in and out without a problem, it just LOOKED too narrow. it was cold and windy, only 39 degrees. so instead of biking we hiked to the top of the "mountain", Mt constitution. it's the highest point on the island and a good viewpoint but you can drive there, or walk or bike. we hiked.
Nice view but many yapping people. it's disappointing ( to me) to hike somewhere people can drive to. took us 4-5 hours RT. that night we were the only ones in the campground until one other car showed up late. sunday was warmer but still windy and DH wanted to just bag it, but we decided to try biking just for an hour. If it was good, we'd go further, if not good, we'd bail. It was really nice! odometer didn't want to work but it was 7-10 miles and fun! the BEST exercise for your thighs, and I'm getting better at rocks, roots, obstacles in general. had to walk a few small sections but mostly rode. Mt biking is quite the leg workout! Different from road biking. Decided that was enough so headed back to the mainland and spent monday doing Yardmax. My legs were sore from Plyo legs before the hike, and after mt biking they needed a rest day. went to yoga this morning and will do some cardio and an upper body workout later today.

It's funny.. I thought biking / hiking /running would keep my lower body in shape but I get major sore after each STS disk so need to diversify. I think I looked at P-57 but it was upper body. garance (hope I haven't asked before) but what's the p-57 workout like? and BBL? If it's "dancey" I can't do it. I wouldn;t even klook at anything called 'Just Dance", no way. I have 1 or 2 STS leg sections left but they're HARD and the dread factor, I'm not sure I could face doing them every week.

Josie, that's impressive... 100 miles and you've still got dancing left in your legs! My gel underwear worked well. I like that I can wear it with any shorts or pants, and we needed pants sunday. probably lower 40's.

Deb, hope the contractor pays more attention next time. Think of how nice it will be to have it all done.

Hump Day

Good morning,

Well it's Wednesday, half way through the week...or almost half way. Today I did an I-Tread, plus the Ab Burner from CLX.

Garance, I am not sure about the person that reviewed CLX and had gained 10 pounds after the first phase. I don't see anything written afterwards...here is the link, it's toward the bottom in here 6/28/09 update...
http://thisisworthwhile.blogspot.com/2009/06/chalean-extreme-review-burn-phase-no.html

Valerie, your "vacation" sounds like a lot of work to me!

Joan, come up for air and let us know how you are doing!

Josie, what are the biking plans for this weekend?

Cathy, how are you? check in to say hello....

Take care,

This morning I did Jazzercise Dancin' Abs (60 min.).

I agree with Deb, Valerie, that your 'vacation' sounds like a lot of work. P-57 is definitely not dancy and the thigh and butt work relies on your own body weight. I now use my tower to lean on when doing a lot of it. There is one 30 minute cardio section in BBL that I am sure you would not like because it is very dancy. I also don't think you would like a lot of the hip action in Bum Bum. However, the High and Tight, Sculpt, and Tummy Tuck are all pretty straightforward workouts. Leandro uses a lot of compound moves and balance challenges. Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for the website. I will check it out, but I think I won't buy anything new for awhile. I am enjoying my current new cardio, and I have so many Cathe weight DVDs, I have to remind myself that I don't need even more.

Hey Joan, are you taking it down to the wire? I hope you are all done and can go on your vacation next week.

Hi to Josie and Cathy!

thanks deb, i'm so glad that someone else is overwhelmed w/cathe rotations. although, the one i'm doing this month is pretty hard to. but, cathe's are soooo hard.

today, i seem to be having a migraine. woke up w/it and thought it might go away, but doesn't seem to be doing that.

traildoggie, LOL! i like your new work, klook, :)

mon-- dangerous curves ahead. cardio w/band and lite wts. 55m
tues-- total muscle shaping/interval, heavy wts. 45m. (both firms)
today , thank the Lord is rest. i have made it for 2 weeks working out 6 days straight. so i'll see if i can make it the rest of the month. have a great day.

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just finished the last tax return. I worked until 5am and then up at 9am to keep working. I think I'll go take a nap.

Joan

Thursday

Good morning,

No workout today..I had to go back to work last night from 9:00-11:00 to meet with people on the second and third shifts. Needless to say, by the time I got home and was able to fall asleep, it was too late for me to get up at the normal workout time. I am going to go in a little late today. I need more coffee to wake up..

Garance, cudos to you for keeping up with P-57. I could hardly do the 30 minute one, yet alone the 57 minute...it reminds me of the floor leg work in some of Cathe DVD's which I always skip.

Cathy, 2 weeks of 6 workout days is an accomplishment! good job..

Joan, yay for being done....like Cathy said, Take a Long Nap! Where are you going again for vacation?

Hi to Josie & Valerie,

Take care,

Good morning,

I tried to fall asleep at 3pm. 7pm, 10:30pm. The last time after an hour I got up and was going to read but went back to bed and fell right to sleep. I guess I was too tired to sleep. I got up at 9 am and felt good. My right shoulder is still sore from overuse with adding machine. One of the last clients had over 1000 stock sales. It was actually several mutual funds sold but they record 20 years of dividends as individual sales.

I will be back later with wo. I'm planning on easing back into it. I don't want to injure anything.

Help me decide about diet. I haven't gained anything in the last month of mindless eating. We always go out to celebrate on the 15th and usually go out to eat on Friday's and Tuesday is start of vacation. I guess I want permission to wait until after vacation to start diet. I really need to start now because it is only 22 weeks from 5/3 until 9/27 and a couple of extra weeks would help. On the other hand starting when I get back I will have no excuse to cheat and may be more enthusiastic about diet. What do you think.

Deb We are going to Las Vegas again- April 20-28th.

Joan

This morning I did GS chest and tris (48 min.).

Wow, Joan, I bet you are absolutely ecstatic to have all of your work done for awhile! I have no advice on your diet, because, as you know, I don't diet. Maybe Cathy can give you some tips, given her success with WW. I think you should give yourself a break and enjoy your vacation without worrying about a diet until you return. Just be moderate so you don't gain any lbs.

Deb, were there some special reasons why you had to go back to work at night? How is your bathroom makeover going?

Question: I have to do my blood work and--as usual--I've forgotten the rules. Is it okay to have coffee before they take blood?

Hi to Josie, Valerie, and Cathy!

Our vacations are pretty active, it's what I ( we) like to do. I couldn't stand sitting on a cruise ship or something. just not in my(our) nature. sitting and driving for an entire day is hard to take. I start to absolutely itch if I need to be inactive for more than a day.

I did disk 33... an upper body one... tuesday. wed we did our usual 35 mile bike ride. It was windy, how can you get a head wind going in each direction? Anyway, I felt energized. had my bike tuned up and it made a big difference in my speed. must have been getting some drag from something. the derailleur is shifting much better, made it easier to zip. I will be finishing STS in close to 6 months. I started it for the second time in November and am closing in fast on the last workouts. I've really enjoyed it and might take a week off and start it over.

Joan, first off, congrats on getting thru tax season alive!!
IMO I'd ease into diet mode ASAP and start semi-trimming calories in hope of not adding a pound to the challenge. I (personally) don't do well with abrupt changes and try to get into "at-least-not-gain-anything" mode while I get a strategy going. I usually change up the grocery list to lower cal choices, get tempting foods out of sight, re-arrange the cabinet so I'm not looking at potato chips every time I open the door. but that's my approach. I eat more goodies on vacation but don't totally toss control to the wind. I gain very easily and it's very hard for me to lose.... excellent family genetics.
I hope you can get a normal sleep cycle going. when I get over-tired, that's when I can ignore my good sense and inhale junk!

Garance, is there a site to view a sample of the P-57 workout? I'm thinking I saw a segment showing an upper body workout ( with Kelly Ripa?) but I don't think I've ever found a clip of lower body. Same way with BBL. maybe I'm getting it confused with BFL. (acronyms!!) Both DH and myself have found that even with the bike, hike, running, we both get sore from Cathe so are going to try to do this type of workout regularly.

Josie, I can't imagine being in the saddle for 100 miles. we have been riding regularly and I'm sore by the end of 35 miles, padded shorts or not. Raising my seat height helps some. any secrets?

No wo yet but did reward myself with 25lb dumbbells. Off to pharmacy to get dh prescriptions before vacation.

Valerie I decided I would cut calories until vacation and then ease up during. I never have anything "good" around to eat at home. I usually eat approx 1600-1800 calories. If I eat 1500 calories and get 1 hour of exercise in per day I lose 1/2lb per week. I really want to lose in the range of 1-2lbs per week. I am expecting to either drastically cut calories or add multiple exercise sessions in per day or both. I am not a naturally active person and do not use many calories per day.

Joan

another plyo leg workout done! disk 32. these are, without a doubt, the hardest work outs I've ever done and I'm modifying, using fewer risers, not very heavy weights and resting for extra seconds between some exercises. Not a lot, maybe 20 extra seconds, and not between all of them.
IMO there is no( !!) comparison to the upper body workouts which while I wouldn't call easy, are not in the same league at all for me. I am too out of breath to continue safely at the rate they go on to the next move. Jai and Lorraine look like they are down to a very small percentage of body fat. they look more defined than cathe.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.