Pentagenarians and Beyond W/B 2/8

garance

Cathlete
Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I repeated disk 1 of STS (chest, shoulders, biceps) and added on the abs with 8 lb. medicine ball until you needed a partner. So--50 min. of weights and 10 min. of abs. I very much liked the abs workout.

I hope your memorial service went well, Deb. Did you start STS today?

Hi to Linny, Josie, and Joan.

Hi all,

The service was nice and very moving/ We had an honor guard from the Army that did the presentation of the flag etc. The reception afterwards gave us a chance to talk to everyone...

I did start STS today, and right now I have mixed feelings about it. First off, she does not give you much time between exercises to set up. I had to keep pausing the DVD to get the next set of stuff, take the risers off, put the risers on, etc...maybe when we are out of the endurance cycle it will be an actual rest between sets. I also found that my 1rm testing was not that great. A lot of exercises were too easy and a lot too hard with the weight that was supposed to be 60% of my 1RM. I am going to do these for 2 weeks since I felt like I spent most of my time with the wrong weight this first time around...

will check in tomorrow,,

Hi Deb, Linny, Garance and Josie,

Just finished disc 3. I didn't use weight on wall squats or paper plates. I will next time. I'm going to see if dh will do partner abs tonight.

Deb - My father died when I was 12. After the service an uncle I had only met once told stories about my father. He had everyone laughing. That night I felt like we shouldn't have been having "fun" on that day. I was grown up before I realized how much better I felt physically after laughing. It was much better celebrating his life and remembering him.

Joan

Is it Monday already?

Good Morning,

Today I did a 35 minute I-Tread..wow you really lose a lot of your cardio strength when you don;t do anything for a week and a half!

Garance or jOAN, Tomorrow I am supposed to do the Back and Triceps #2 disk...which one is shorter this one or the leg one? #3? I have less time on Tuesday so if the #3 is shorter, I may do that one tomorrow and #2 on Thursday...am I making sense here? So you can do the med ball/partner one w/o a partner for 10 minutes? perfect! No way will I ever have a partner..:rolleyes:

The weather was great yesterday, DH chopped all the ice on our patio and sidewalks, I took Kelsey on 2 - short walks and she was smiling!..yes dogs can smile!;)

Joan, I can understand exactly how you would feel at 12, if people were laughing after the service...I felt sort of the same when my Mom died and I was 21...now I know that it is the best thing for all when people tell those great stories.

Waving Hi to Josie and Linny, ...

This morning I did my new Leslie--5 Fast Miles (65 min.). She has 2 min. at the end of each mile that she "boosts" with a jog. Reminds me of her 4 Fast Miles. The one thing that elicited a snort from me is one of the cues: "Stabalize the Core." You'd think someone would have caught this misspelling somewhere along the production line. It's STABILIZE Leslie! Reminds me of a sign in an Indian restaurant in NYC: "Prefix Dinner: $15.00" Wonder what their suffix dinner cost. At least they had the excuse of being foreign. Leslie is, I think, a Jersey girl. Every now and then the English teacher in me wants to tear her hair out.

Deb, disk 3 for legs is definitely shorter. You can stop at 39 min. or do a bonus section that reminds me of the legs on Kickmax, which brings it up to 53 min. Disk 2 is 56 min. I believe. It sounds like the memorial service was therapeutic. I imagine you still have to pack up his apartment, though, and go through things. I found that very difficult with my mom.

Some interesting choices for Dancing With the Stars which starts in March again.

Joan, I just wish I had a wall to use for those squats. Available walls are too far away for me.

Hi Josie, Linny, Garance and Deb

Official weigh -in 163lbs I lost 1 pound in last two weeks (missed weigh in last week) for a total of 10lbs.:D

Deb - disc 2 is 56 min and disc 3 is 53min. You could leave off extra leg work but I thought it was some of the best part of disc. I did disc 2 faster because of the pause factor in disc 3. I remember why it was so much less time I skipped over pullups in disc 2. I did them later at gym.

I was able to set up everything before I started and don't think I paused much on disc 1 or 2. I had to change weights more in disc 1( for me all were lighter) but I have all laid out. I may have missed a rep but I don't think so, I just added at end with sec less rest.

I am really sore(good sore). I had planned to disc 4 today but may wait until Tuesday.

Joan

Tuesday!

Good Morning all,

Today I did the legs of Meso 1 week 1, instead of the longer Back & Biceps. I did not do the bonus part, so it was around 41 minutes?..it seemed longer to me, but my HRM watch never lies. Am I the only one that is not really thrilled with these workouts? Maybe after the year long build up, it is a little bit of a let down. I was looking forward to something more like Slow & Heavy..maybe Meso Cycle 3 will be the one I like. I feel rushed, and never really getting the exercise down right, before she is setting up something else..

Garance, LOL on your shouting at Leslie for her misspellings..I am like that when I see a mistake in a book, like "where are the editors anyway"?..I don;t know any of the DWTS "stars" ..where do they get these people? I guess after 7 seasons, well know stars are hard to come by..I know part of it is that I don;t really pay attention to media, so maybe they are really stars.

Joan, at least you are still losing the weight. 10 pounds is great!

Josie, are you still working out with your partner?

Linny, we miss you, check in and let us know you are ok..

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

Today is my cardio day and will be going to the gym. I may try running at least 3 miles.

Garance, You can correct my spelling any time. English is my second language and I know that I make a lot of mistakes. Regarding the Manhattan I like mine with Maker's Mark or Woodridge Reserve.

Linny, are they working you to death?

Joan, congratulations on your weight loss. I think that those pound have ended up on my butt.

Deb, I no longer work out with my partner. We are still friends and that is the way I want to keep it. I do have a cardio partner that is always ready to workout and try new things.

Have a great day!@

Josie

This morning I repeated disk 2 of mesocycle 1 (56 min.). I still have no solution for the pullups and chin-ups, so I just do some slow and heavy shoulder presses to sub. DH is going to make me a bar, he says, so eventually . . .

Deb, I am determined to like STS because I want to use every one of these disks that I waited so long for. I did have DOMS from disk 1 because of all those pushups, so maybe that's a good sign. If I were to complain, it would be about the music, which, I'm sorry, is sometimes not in synchronization with the rhythm of the exercises. If I understand, they dubbed it in later, and tried very hard to get it to go with the exercisers' movements, and most of the time, it is, but when it is not, I close my eyes and keep to the rhythm of the music, because if I watch them, it does not feel right. Even on the warmups, which are supposed to be somewhat dancy, the music is sometimes off. Weird.

I know about 2/3 of the new DWTS lineup, but you are right Deb--many of them are sort of on the decline or just B-level or retired athletes (Lawrence Taylor of Giants football fame). I think it's a way to jump start fading careers for some of them.

Ooh, Josie, a new bourbon--Woodridge Reserve. I will have to look around. Maybe we don't have a distributor around here. Sounds like you have managed to deal with your tardy workout partner. Maybe you should give Lauramax some advice. She was complaining about a similar problem with a workout partner over at the Open Forum.

What do you think of STS so far, Joan? Congrats on the weight loss.

Hi to Linny!

Hi Ladies:
Sorry I haven't posted lately.DH is renovating the hallway and stairs,so its been kinda crazy and messy.I was planning to post last night but I was really off balance and I checked my blood pressure and it was 150/100.Here we go again with the dam high blood pressures.I don't have health insurance till mid April though.
Deb:So glad everything went well with DF memorial service.Doesn't sound like you are very impressed with STS.I glad I changed my mind on purchasing it.That money will really come in handy right now.My DH's phone is not ringing regarding renovations and building homes:(.We are hoping that things will pick up or we may have to think about selling or maybe getting one of the kids to move in and help out with mortgage.
Garance:I know how you feel about misspelling.I'm a pretty good spelling but have a hell of a time with pronunication though.I found myself correcting one of the LNA's I worked with at last job.I was shocked that a 19 yr old could not spell simple words.
Josie: I actually got out of work early today.I had a dentist appt and left at noon.My dental insurance ended on Jan 31st and my dentist had to cancel appt on Jan 30 because she was sick.So she took me today and billed it for Jan 30th.I went out and bought a dozen roses for their office. Glad you worked it out with your partner.
JoanC: Congrats on your weight loss.Please send some weight loss vibes this way.I told my DH NO CANDY for Valentines Day.My DD called me this afternoon crying, her fiance' (Garance,correct sp)was laid off.They just bought a house this past summer and she is worried that they won't be able to afford payments.I wish I could win PowerBall!!
~Linny~

Hump Day!

Good Morning!

Today I did a treadmill workout...I do have DOMS from the leg workout yesterday, which I am happy about. It's supposed to get to 58 degrees today, I hope it melts all the dirty snow that is around.

Josie, good to read that you are back on the treadmill, 3 miles is awesome! ...don't do what this guy does though!

Garance, I am trying to like STS, really, I am. Maybe I just wasn't mentally ready to start it this past weekend, and it will get better. I thought it was me on the music thing..they spent months on the music, and probably a lot of money and it doesn't sync with
the rep count?? ..I'll stop complaining now!

Joan, are you still buried unders those tax forms?

Linny, sorry about the money situation. Not sure if this is correct, but lots of people are saying that they will rennovate instead of buying a new house. They will stick with what they have, if that is true, your DH should start seeing more business. I sure hope they are right. We have plans to re-model a bathroom, and now I am wondering if we should put it off. I have been planning on doing this for years and don;t want to put it off. I think your dentist was very nice doing that for you. A physical therapist I went to years ago for my back did the same thing...I was only covered up to Jan 1, and I had an apt for Jan 3. When I got there she told me and advised I not do the apt, because I would have to pay full on my own . The cutting out sugar really works for me, but it is hard to get back on track afer last week.

Have a great day!

Hi Ladies,

I will be doing PLB this evening. It has been very cold over here and it is hard to get out of bed. I know that you are laughing at me! Saying I don't know what cold is, but in LA we are not used to it.

I have decided to train for a half marathon on my treadmill, this will take me 8 weeks to acomplish and I know that when it gets to the long runs I will need some entertainment.
I will try books on tape and see how it goes. Running is the only thing that work for me when I try to loose weight and I do miss it.

Linny, glad to have you back, wish that you lived close to us. We are planning on remodeling our home and would hire your DH.

Hi Joan, Deb and Garance.

Josie

This morning I did Kelly C-M's double kickbox (53 min.).

It's 50 degrees here and feels like spring. Everything is melting and muddy, but I know this isn't going to last. Just one blessed day.

Deb, you are not wrong about the music. It's just not always synchronized perfectly and feels weird. It's an intermittent problem, though, so I cannot be too critical. Glad you had some DOMS from the legs workout. I did, too, in my butt. I think it was possibly the paper plate exercises. I'm repeating that one tomorrow.

Linny, so sorry about the economy hitting you. I read somewhere that unemployment in construction is up to 18 %--more than twice the overall unemployment rate. The college has delayed building a new library and some major work on one of our athletic fields, and I know that has hit a lot of people locally who rely on the college as the biggest employer. We did a major renovation of our kitchen and put on a big addition 4 years ago and DH built an enormous barn. We are still paying for that, but the end is in sight.

I hope running does the trick for you Josie on the weight loss. I did a lot of jogging in my 30s, but then I discovered step and Cathe, and that was my aerobic choice for a long time. I cannot believe I actually started on a 10 inch step! Now I am down to 4 inches and I like to cross-train with kickbox and walking and kettlebell.

Hi to Joan. Have you seen the ad where Death shows up to complain about his taxes??

Hi Ladies:
Actually got out of work on time.Asked my boss if she wanted me to use ET for time used yesterday,she just held up her hand and said if you need the time just take it.She is so understanding and has a great sense of humor.She told myself and other unit manager that we are the best unit managers she has ever worked with.
Deb:Glad to hear about your DOM.I haven't worked out since sunday.My blood pressure kind of threw things off.But I do plan on it tomorrow.I want to lose 2 pounds a week by summer.I hope you're right about renovations picking up.
Garance:I've been lucky so far with all the work being done around the house.We haven't had to take out any loans to do renovations.My husband said maybe we'll take out a home equity loan to finish rest of house and use if needed for mortage payments.We'll see...
Josie:I know a lot of people are probably rebuilding over in california right now,with all the homes lost in the fires last year.Good luck training for your marathon.It was in the mid 50's here today.Smelled like spring:D
JoanC:I hope you're not working too hard with all those tax returns.We always have to pay in since DH owns his own business.I use to like looking forward to the tax refund.
~Linny~

Good evening Josie, Linny , Deb and Garance,

I had appointments nonstop from 9:00 this morning until 8:00 this evening.
I just finished eating and thought I would let it settle before starting disc 4. I didn't do anything but work Monday and Tuesday.

Josie things are looking up if you could lose wo partner and still be friends. I'm impressed with half marathon. I guess you can be ready in 8 weeks because you are already in good shape. That seems like a short time.

Garance I like sts at least now because of the fast pace. I really haven't "heard the music". I think I feel it and it seems fine to me.

:eek::eek::eek: Linny that was the weight loss vibe coming your way. Unfortunately it is a half a pound a week vibe, but that is 26lbs in a year.
I think a compliment from the boss is almost as good as a raise.

So far almost every client has been hit by the economy in some way. But my last client of the day was worse, a perfectly nice, young, healthy looking new client sat across from me and told me she had a brain tumor and was expected to live less than a year. Her kids are 3,4 and 6.

Deb I hope you like disk second time through when you have weights and timing down. Or just go on and see if next discs are any better. I can still get this week in Wed, Fri, and Sunday. It's the cardio that is missing.

Joan

Thursday!

Good Morning all,

No workout today, I was really tired, went to bed at 8:30! :eek:...I could have gotten up at 4:00, but I turned the alarm off and just decided to stay in bed. It's very windy and raining here right now. The garbage cans were blown over. Keegan was afraid to go out! I had to go with him to get him out there and got soaked.

Josie, our little gazelle is back! ..We are right behind you! Keep us posted on how you are doing. I really think you should try some of the I-Treads. She has good interval ones that are supposed to help you run longer and faster. I know that they make it not so boring for me on the treadmill.

Garance, Yes we had 58 degrees yesterday too. Now it is back to reality! All the weather news is about the creeks flooding. I wish Cathe would have gotten that pull up tower out in time for STS. I don't know what I will do for the pull ups. I have a bar attached to a door frame but I could never even do one! I guess I will use the band method with the door that I used for P90x.

Linny, it sounds like you finally got a good boss, that can make all the difference in how you feel about your job. I have been lucky over all the years I have been in this job, I have always had great managers. Always men though, isn't that strange? I also wish you lived close by, I would hire your DH to do our bathroom!

Joan, 1/2 pound a week would make me happy! How awful for that poor woman who has those young children..so sad. I guess when you really think about it, money is not so important, the economy is not important either.

Have a good day!

Good Morning Ladies,

I will be runnig tonight another 3 miles. Thank you all for your support.

Joan, The half marathong is only for me, I'm not paying to run a race and all the trainning will be on the treadmill. I'm doing a beginers 8 week program because my last marathon was 2 years ago and have to start from scratch.

Deb, I have never tried the I-Treads, but I do have Cardio Coach 1-6 and have tried a couple of them, also my treadmill came with several training chips.

Linny, I'm glad that you have a great boss. I love my boss, she makes us feel apreciated and that makes all the diffrence in the world.

Garance, I used to love step, but I don't like doing the DVD's I rather go to a class and stand behing the instructor. I'm a clutz.

Josie

This morning I repeated disk 3, legs, of STS (53 min.). I will be moving on to disk 4 next week.

Very windy and rainy here, too, Deb. It's still pretty warm--42 degrees--but expected to go down. Hey, it's still February, so I'm not expecting any spring for at least 6 weeks. Thus spake the groundhog.

Joan, I have a friend with a nephew in his 30s, also with a brain tumor and doing chemo. He has a 1 year old and another on the way. Very sad. I hope your client is not alone--a single mom (?).

Linny, that's great about your new boss. Words of appreciation just make work easier. I always feel great when I get positive feedback from my students on evaluation sheets or if I hear from a student who graduated years ago that I made a difference. I don't really have a boss overseeing my work.

So Josie, you are doing your half-marathon solo? Is this like 13 miles on the treadmill, or do you go outside and run?

Hi Ladies:
I didn't have to work late tonight.Luckily the psych doctor came in at 1:30Pm.So I did walking rounds with him and then wrote all his new orders.Didn't get any of my other work done though.
Deb:Hope you're not coming down with something being so tired.I usually go to bed by 8:30-9:00pm,then get interested in some show on tv. But I try to get up by 5:30-6:00am.I only worked out sunday,thursday so far this week:confused:
Garance:Sounds like you're moving right along with STS. I really like this boss and most of the staff likes her too.I hope she stays,this place has a bad reputation with management leaving.
JoanC:Thanks for the skinny vibes.I think that 26 pounds you lost has been found.ON ME!! Thats so sad about client with brain tumor,makes you appreciate what we've got.
Josie:Go,Josie,Go!! Glad to hear there are other nice bosses out there.
Have a good night~Linny~

TGIF!

Morning all...

All I can say is I am so glad it is Friday!

No workout today, a night on the couch. Now I have messed up the first week of STS, unless I change my usual schedule and get this last workout in tomorrow. I usually do not work out on Saturday, it's HouseMax day.

Josie, Good luck with the training! It sounds like you like running more than other stuff so you will get there in no time!

Garance, you do not do the wall squats correct? I could not pick up the weights at all , it is the one where you are against the wall with the ball, with weights by your sides, and you squat, pick up, squat, put them down etc. I read that you have to have your feet far from the wall...no wonder I could not do them. I was right up against the wall...duh...not so good at that kind of stuff...I still have Doms from Tuesday! I know it is only February but I feel we are on the home stretch!

Linny, What can we do to help get our butts up getting the workouts in? I go along fine until something disturbs my sleep, I don;t get up, and then that day is shot. Forget about doing any workouts after work, I am too exhausted. Good that you got out early yesterday.

Joan, hope you are doing well...

Any exciting plans for the weekend? I tried to get reservations at our favorite restaurant for Saturday, and actually took a 4:00 pm one, even though it was early, we like that place so much. Then she told me they have a "special valentines day" menu, and I was crushed..."do you have the Land & Sea" on the menu"? she said no. I cancelled the reservation...no sense going if my favorite meal is not being served! Now no reservations anywhere...we'll see.

Have a great day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.