Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/7

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

This morning I did Gym Styles Chest & Triceps..lots of push ups here. This is probably the best chest workout that Cathe does, IMO. I have to remember that if I go back to a one body part per day rotation, to use this chest one. whew....lots of pushups, and great weight work.

Caty, good job on the workout. That is tough one. I also sold it on Ebay, I just could not get into it.

Garance, no anti-biotics for DH. They had him on an IV with them overnight in the hospital, they must think that was enough to work. He has some pain meds to use in case it gets uncomfortable. I love hearing about Max and his progress. He sounds like such a nice puppy. Have you ever read the Jon Katz books about his farm in upstate NY? A great non-fiction series, he has border collies, and teaches them to herd sheep, plus all the trials and things he goes through on a farm in the winter etc.

Joan, I hope you are able to take a couple of breaks between returns.

Josie, any riding in the plans for today?

DH wants to watch only the half time of the SuperBowl to see The Who. He is not interested in the game at all...:rolleyes:.

Take care!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Sculpt Fitness (70 min.). This is an alternating step cardio and weight work. There are three easy step routines and one kickbox cardio alternating with weight work (I use 10's and 15's), a 1 min. blast, another weight work and then back to cardio. Ends with abs. I keep returning to this one because it's really thorough.

Deb, sounds like DH is going to be fine. I know both my mom and sister were much better after they had their gall bladders removed. No more gut-wrenching attacks.

Went out to dinner last night with ds and dh. Very nice. They are off skiing today, and I have pretty much everything prepared for the Super Bowl. I am not a football fan, so really could not care less, but dh, ds, and the couple we have invited are fans so I will probably be only intermittent company. Deb, I think I have heard of Jon Katz on NPR. I will have to see about those books. DH might like them. He absolutely adores Max because he is so smart and just seems to be thinking and watching when he's outside doing chores with DH. Indoors is a whole other story--lots of dashing about and playing with his various toys. He is constantly trying to herd me--tiny little nips on my heels when I walk away from DH.

I know Cathy is NOT watching the Super Bowl. What are the rest of you doing on what seems to have become a national holiday?

Garance, here is the list in order....you and/or DH should try to read in order if you can....

By Jon Katz:

A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs and Me

The Dogs of Bedlam Farm

A Good Dog The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life

Dog Days: Dispatches From Bedlam Farm

Soul Of A Dog

Izzie & Lenore

Hi ladies,

I didn't watch the game. I did sleep late because I had a sore throat.
I slept until 10am and then took a nap at 2pm but only for an hour.:p I did need it.

We're supposed to get 6-8inches of snow tomorrow. But I never believe them until it starts.

Monday

Morning all...

I just love having Monday off.

The plan is to do CC7 and then have my usual protein shake with all the supplements. Nothing much on the agenda after that, just some errands. My cousin got back from Aruba late last night, so I may stop there and see how her trip was.

I did not watch the game, even though DH wanted to see The Who at halftime, he fell asleep and I forgot about it. I did see some of the ads on Yahoo.com...I like the Doritos one with the little kid and his Mom's date.

Joan, I hope you don't get the snow.

What's up with everyone else today?

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.).

Thanks for the book list, Deb. I will look them up at Amazon.

We had a good time last night watching the game. I don't really know what is going on, but everyone seemed pleased with the Saints. I did watch The Who, and they were terrific. I might have to rent Tommy to see Tina Turner at the height of her powers and Ann-Margret in her youthful beauty. Felt a bit sad to see DS leave this morning. Back to the other side of the country.

Glad you are getting some zzzzz Joan.

A rather high fat night in terms of eating, so I better cut back the next few days.

How did everyone else spend Superbowl Sunday. (My favorite ad was the one with Oprah, David, and Jay looking glum. Not sure what it was for.)

good morning all. Not a great weekend for workouts. saturday early I did a bike warm up, 15 on the treadmill and the majority of disk 12, legs. then went to a homeowner association meeting and then did yard chores big time, lots of lifting raking, digging, up and down our lot, which is on a big slope. It was lovely out close to 60 and partly sunny with flowers opening all over. Got my first hummingbird of the season friday morning, a month early. I sympathasize with everyone in the snow and cold... we had that last year at this time, and this year is better. hope everyone is trudging thru it OK. Hope the sore throat isn't a sign of a developing headcold Joan, I hate getting those and try to sleep lots to get over them quicker.

the forecast was for sunday to be similar or better so we got our packs ready and were going to do a hike..woke up early thinking we could hear ??? rain. didn't just 'think" it, it rained all day, not hard rain but enough to discourage a hike . so more yard work between showers for half the day but no real cardio. sometimes the forecast is totally wrong. today started with rain early but then cleared off abruptly and is lovely out but it's monday so no hike.

I am still sore from saturday's leg workout. I don't seem to get conditioning that stays, I get miserably sore every time. so I'll do cardio today and try to move ahead tomorrow.

No football fan here .. could not care less.... but I do hope to get a look at the good commercials at some point.

Deb, glad DH is doing well.. the nice thing is only one gallbladder so no repeats! Once you're done, you're done.

Today I'm going to do something but am really tired. for some reason could not sleep last night and am totally dragging around.

LOL! you're right , garance. i know nothin'about any of it. let's see, we were at church in the am, rode horses, and went back to church in the pm for a bapismal service.

wow, wehre do you live trail doggie? and that sounds like a workout to me. whereas i have done nothing sun, and mon. soooo, i wanted to pick ya'lls brains and let you tell me what i should do tomorrow to get a super tough 60-70 m. workout. i thought about the firm's CAWT. it is purty tough. but, looking for ideas.

deb, what protien shake do you use? i have heard so many differing ideas about protien shakes. do you feel a difference when you use them?

Tuesday

Good Morning,

No workout this morning, I have had a headache for a couple of days, and I wanted to sleep more thinking it would help. It did not..

Garance, I think you are the first person I heard that like The Who. I did not see it, but on a radio call in show yesterday, people were making negative comments about the performance. Sheesh, think about all these guys have done, and everything people, and they did this for free too!

Valerie, that work you did is called YardMax and it is a workout!:eek: Do you do a lot of stretches after you work your legs? I think that helps a lot with DOMS.

Cathy, no ideas on what workout to do...not sure what you have. I use GNC brand of Whey protein for a shake after I workout. I make it with water to keep the calories down and use it to take all my vitamins etc. I have been doing this for years. I guess it is something I got into with Body For Life lifting back in 2000. Most body builders do this, Cathe does, and it seems to make sense I guess. The thought is that you have about a 30 minute window after working out to re-load your muscles. Not sure how true it all is but I have done it for years. Besides, I don;t think women get enough protein from their diets. I also count it as a mini-meal when I try to get 6 meals a day.

Hi to Josie and Joan!

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.). Some interesting new moves on this and combined with balance, pretty tough.

Cathy, why not do two of those HIIT workouts? I cannot do them at all because of impact, but if you are looking for tough workouts, they seem to fill the bill.

Deb, I can't imagine NOT liking The Who. I thought this was almost as good as Bruce Springsteen and certainly a lot better than the wardrobe malfunction of a few years back. I guess I am still of the Woodstock generation and I wish some of the others--Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix--had survived.

Valerie, the snowstorms have gone south of us, so we hardly have any at the moment. If the nor'easter they are predicting moves a bit further north before heading off to sea, we may see a couple inches according the weathermen (in whom I have very little confidence).

thanks garance, i settled on doing this
DOUBLE SHOT THURSDAY …Low Impact Circuit premix #4 “Upper Body Sculpt”…31 minutes
and the firm's cardio dance fusion.

and, i don't know where cathe got the 31m. it is more like 60m at least. oh, oop!!!!!!
i just realized it is low impact circuit. i am so dumb, i did hte upper body from 4-day split.DUH!!! no wonder it was so painful.:)

oh, well, i sure got a double shot, so that hard one is out of the way for the week.

thanks deb, think i'll go have one.:)
bbl.

Hi Ladies,

I don't feel like being here today! I guess the rain is getting to me; it is so gloomy out here. I have my Kevin wo tonight plus the 30 minutes of cardio.

I could not ride my bike this weekend because of the rain and the wet streets. I feel like I'm falling behind and I'm getting nervous about being it top shape for the 7 day ride.

Do you Ladies have any plans for the weekend?

Josie

Drover, I live in western washington about 50 miles north of Seattle. we are on a high hill/bluff and that gives us slightly colder weather than a few hundred feet below us. It's a fairly mild climate but wet. we get long periodfs of light rain, drizzle so the total inches aren't extreme but we do have more than our share of gray days. I've always liked it. Never truly cold and seldom really hot. We're green year round! I grew up in the midwest and hate going back to everything being gray and brown for months of the year. there is the Olympic National Park to the west, then the Pacific and that's where the weather comes from.

Yes, Yardmax!. Our lot is quite sloped so nothing is easy. I'm used to walking up and down it, but for machines or heavy loads it's a big issue. going down is sometimes harder than going up because it's easy to lose control of a wheelbarrow or cart, and then there's nothing good to stop it. we lose a couple hundred feet of elevation from the road to the lower end of our lot. Our house is not too far down, on as level a spot as we have. Not like a california hillside lot, but there's enough slope that I've never made it all the way up on my mt bike. we kept getting flat tires from blackberrie thorns so haven't been riding here much.

yesterday I did a bike warm up, 35 treadmill and coremax 1. this morning yoga class. I need to do shopping this morning and then disk 13 with something else, depending on time and energy.

Josie, I'm not a fan of riding in the rain. There's probably ways to avoid it, but your head gets soaked with the helmet vents. plus the spray from the wheels. the tires don't have much tread so it's easier to slip and fall. I remember doing a new years day ride when I hit a patch of black ice. Didn't see it and splat.... down before I could even react but braking would have probably been worse. I don't have fenders. Our mt bikes have front fenders due to mud but none on the street bikes.

we have a wet weekend forecast so no big plans. we'll fit something in , hike or bike, if we get a bit of clearer weather. I can't believe we barely skied this year. we do most of our xc skiing below 4000 feet elevation, and there is almost no snow that low this year. I'm sure we'll hear about it during the Olympics. some of the events are scheduled at about 3000 feet elevation and vancouver is barely 100 miles from here and has the same weather. they have been trucking in snow.

I usually stretch after weight workouts but I honestly can't tell any difference if I do or don't. Leg workouts get me very very sore, upper body ones don't. and most of our activities are legs but I don't seem to get any crossover training effect. go figure. I try to eat something after a workout but protein drinks seemed to make me hungrier, so I try to get a cup of leftover soup or 1 piece of ww toast with PB.

Wednesday

Good Morning,

I did a 37 minute Cardio Coach this morning. It snowed a few inches overnight, nothing to have to shovel or anything, just enough to have to wear boots to work and drag shoes with me...

Garance, I am with you on liking The Who and others from that era. Some people are never happy with what is done. Yes, anything is better than the wardrobe debacle.

Cathy, LOL at your mixing up the workouts, I would be dead.

Josie, when does the race start? No plans for the weekend, just HouseMax and hopefully get some stuff thrown out. We still need to organize the basement and attic for the remodel of our bathroom.

Valerei, it seems so strange that you react that way with leg workouts since you do so much leg stuff with hiking, etc. I am so happy when I get DOMS from a leg workout because that is rare for me. I always blame it on not using enough weight. Maybe you are going too heavy?

Joan, are you buried under returns? Peek out and tell us how you are! ;)

Take care,

This morning I did Amy Bento's Kickbox Surge without the surges (62 min.).

They keep predicting snow here, but after a few flakes this morning, nothing much happening here. Maybe it still hasn't arrived up here. Looks like NYC is getting hammered this time.

I think we will go out on Valentine's day, but other than that, no plans.

Cathy, that sounds like a really tough combination of workouts. I like to workout from 50-70 min. and prefer to do just one workout at a time.

Valerie, retirement for you sounds like hiking and biking, working out, and yardmax and housemax. Do you have any hobbies--e.g., knitting, sewing, quilting, painting, etc.? Just curious.

Sorry Josie that the rains keep you from your biking. It's June when you begin the race??

Peeking in,

I've had a horrible cold. Just a lot of nose blowing and headache.

I'm up to 107 returns in and I have finished 73 of them.

Even if I had an extra moment I wouldn't feel like working out.

Hope you all stay well. We only had 3 inches of snow and road were perfectly cleared the next morning.

Joan

Retirement is good. I cook quite a bit, read, do puzzles like sudoku, crosswords. Have a very spoiled cat. I used to knit but I have an ailment called Dupuytren's. I have "cords" that cause my left pinkie finger to be bent. It's not painful, showed no progression in 30 years, but holding the yarn/ knitting aggravated, it so I chucked it rather than possibly worsen it. it can be fixed with surgery but often that causes it to worsen so i leave well enough alone. I never liked stuff I made anyway, I'd be so tired of looking at it that I'd give it away. I do maintenance sewing but don't enjoy it. I hate it actually. I don't have an artistic cell in my body.

we garden a lot, have a 5 acre lot. a big vegetable garden and lots of other decorative plants. the weeding alone could take a lifetime. I spend a surprising amount of time shopping and other "'maintenance" things. DH hates that kind of thing and since he's still working I do it. he is decreasing to part time, if things go as planned, in a month. we want to do more hiking, biking, and traveling mostly with the intent to do more hiking and biking in new places.

Joan, sorry the cold blossomed into a big deal. sometimes you get lucky and they go away without taking up residence, but mostly we don't get that lucky.
Josie, hope you get some clearer weather to get in some riding. we should have done that today but the forecast was for rain and so we got going on garden chores again and should be riding.

Did disk 13 yesterday after a bike warmup. yesterday was a big shopping day and I crammed it in from 4;30 on. pushed weight hard and have very little minor upper body soreness while my butt is still sore from disk 12! Not fair, not fair. maybe i'm just as sore but I don't notice it since upper body doesn't get used like legs. ??

well deb, i had 2 days off, so i wanted to hit it hard. and , today i only did Burn & Shape. 40m. but a good workout. i did all the upper body yesterday except bi's & tri's. meant to do it today, but didn't have time, so will tack it on to tomorrow's.
cold and icky here, but not as bad as where ya'll are.

Thursday

Good mornong,

I just finished Gym Styles Back, Shoulders, & Biceps. I used the weighted gloves for the whole workout which upped all my db work by a pound and Bb by 2 #'s so I was pleased with that.

Garance, what are the "surges" in Kickbox surge? do you like this kickbox workout? I am not really happy with KickMax, I may try to sell it on Ebay, although part of me says I did not give it a chance so we'll see. Maybe some of the premixes will be good. I like the 4DS Kickbox workout the best so far, then KPC premixes. How are classes going?

Joan, sending ((FEEL BETTER)) vibes your way. If I were you I would not be working out either, way too much going on, and if you are not feeling well, you will only set yourself back.

Valerie, what did you retire from? what type of work? Sorry if this seems nosy..:eek:. I am so looking forward to retirement.

Cathy, they say Dallas should be getting snow today.. and Atlanta and down to Jackson Miss...yikes! Do you ever get snow there?

Josie, I hope you are able to get some riding in this weekend.

Take care and stay warm!

No Deb, not nosy at all. degree in Medical Technology. I worked in the field briefly. Blech. 5 years of college and hated the job. so got a job in medical product sales and technical training for 16+ yrs. the whole field tanked in the early '90's. got laid off along with a few hundred others. did consulting work, worked for another company for a short time but the travel was getting old and we'd moved further from the airport. DH is a physician, needed a transcriptionist so did that for 10 years. then... this sounds idiotic... the company we were employed by "noticed" that we were married. nevermind one of their managers set up the arrangement following all the rules. so got "fired", someone decided it violated Hippa regs. The transcription field is on it's last legs anyway with cost cutting, electronic medical records, and voice recognition technology. It was not worth the money anymore so that was it. retirement before expected.

Yesterday was yardmax once again. planned a hike but DH decided to get the vegie garden tilled. needed supplies so shopping, humped tons of stuff to the garden and tilled it. then it started raining.
I had the bright idea to see Avatar. Wow, what a cool movie! Definitely a "theater" movie with the 3D special effects etc. We both enjoyed it a lot. a rainy wed afternoon is a good time to go, there weren't a dozen people at the 3 pm showing. we wanted to go before the oscar buzz gets going and it gets crowded again. I remember someone here reported on it a short time ago, garance was it you? Your review was spot on. we haven't been to a theater in a while and it was so funny to hear no less than 4 announcements about turning off cell phones and no texting.. hard to believe people are so stupid they need to be told.

so no formal workout yesterday.. today it will be some cardio and disk 14 whatever it is, haven't looked to see if it's upper or legs.

Joan hope the cold is improving ... I never work out when I'm sick. I get over things much faster if I take things easy. I always feel awful with headcolds.

What kind of plans do you all have for the 3 day weekend?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.