Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/3

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

A nice day yesterday, agility class, then I spent some time at my cousin's house. She wanted to start watching Downton Abbey so I brought season 1 there and watched the first episode with her. I think she's hooked! I finished watching season 3 yesterday, it was great, but I won't spoil it for anyone that watches.

We go almost a foot of snow between Friday night and yesterday. It was a little dicey driving early in the morning yesterday, but the streets were cleared up pretty early so no issues.

I plan on starting another rotation of X-train, not sure if I will do the same 30 day one, it really doesn't matter which one I do, since I only do 4 workouts a week from it.

I was reading about "intermittent fasting" and getting intrigued about it. Not sure how I would pull it off, but it sounds interesting.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Take care,

Last edited:
Good morning ladies!

Cold here and we had a little dusting of snow. A far cry from what you have Deb. Up until last night everything had melted due to the mild couple of days last week in New England.

Yesterday was cardio leg blast, ran on TM 2.5 miles then walked chester. Today I'm going to do yoga and a run. Need to burn mega calories because we are going to our favorite mexican restaurant today and I know I will eat more than I should. Then superbowl in the evening which means tons of junk food around. Maybe I will try and fit a heavy bag workout in somewhere!!!!

Looking forward to week 5 of Xtrain. CLB, Tabatacise, Hard Strikes and Super cuts all in one week. I need to really gear up!

Have a great day ladies!

Hi Deb and Lori--

This morning I did Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders (50:43). Tomorrow it's Leg Blast again. I put Tabatacise up for sale at Amazon, so I will probably substitute my favorite premix from Cardio Supersets for this one--the premix with the step.

Lori, I know what you mean by all the food around on Superbowl Sunday. I will try to have my bowl of chili and salad, and a small dessert. DH is making sausages as well, and there's the usual smorgasbord of cheeses, salsas, chips and crackers. Hey--at least I didn't make wings this year. I love them, but they are loaded with calories.

Deb, if you're interested, there's an article about 4 women who changed their metabolism in various ways to lose weight in More magazine and they all lost weight. I will be recording Downton Abbey tonight.

Don't really care who wins tonight, but DH is going for the 49ers because he didn't like the Pats getting beat by the Ravens.

Good morning,

I just finished 30 minutes of Cardio Coach #5. A tough one for sure.

Lori, I give you a lot of credit walking 2.5 miles in this weather. Whew...

Garance, we did the same workout yesterday, love the burn sets ones. I will check out that article. I could do the 8 hour fast ( where you eat all your days calories in an 8 hour window), but I would miss my favorite meal which is breakfast, and not sure how to eat that at work!

I think I have my rotation down, at least hope to stick to this.. 2 upper body workouts, Super Cuts or Cardio Leg Blast and one treadmill. That should give me a little more cardio.

Hi to Josie & Joan,

Stay warm!

I'm back, great vacation. we drive it all in one stretch, about 11 hours one way. we knew exactly where we were going, so it wasn't like we had to wander looking for a motel at the end of the day. we've rented this house before, fairly convenient to the park, only about 30 miles away. it snowed every day, so roads were a bit dicey early in the morning but would be dry and bare by afternoon even though it was cold. never got really cold, maybe 8 but mostly in the 20's. some sunshine mixed in every day too. we xc skied quite a few miles and snowshoed and hiked a little. the wildlife is not as varied as in spring or fall but a lot of what is there. loads of bison, elk, and tons of bighorns, coyotes, even an ermine! unfortunately, Montana opened a wolf hunting season. for the first time in years we didn't see or hear any, a very special part of the trip there. a lot of local politics involved, but mostly a hunting issue. hunters want all the elk for themselves and resent wolves getting enough to survive. I'm not as radical as many but I think the pendulum has gone too far in the other direction now.

I haven't read last week's thread so will get up to speed shortly. Deb, I'm not "sports fan " either. all I know is the superbowl is "football", don't know who's in it or care. I intensely dislike all pro sports. I like watching the olympics and that's about it.
I took sat and sunday off formal exercise. sat we drove for 11 hours, sunday because I didn't feel good and was sick on and off. OK this morning and we will try to maybe do a ride.

Before we left I did the new spin disk. Josie, it's fun! I like it better than the first one. there are more "sit down" breaks. the spin posture hurts my lower back unless I lean forward further than recommended. I did the whole workout. I don't sit long, just a few seconds of changed position and I'm OK.
came home to mild weather and almost spring like conditions. this looks like a mild winter for us.
Found out MIL is not doing very well. she's not tolerating the treatment very well and is wearing everyone else out too. she's lost a lot of weight. She seems depressed ( who wouldn't be) but won't take meds for it. I don't think she has long...if someone isn't riding her constantly she would not go to treatment and would just sleep with her head on the kitchen table. Every time I see this process I feel sick. no reason for anyone to suffer like this. we wouldn't make a cat or dog go through it and would condemn anyone who did.

looked at last week's thread quickly... I hate musicals in general and will not see les mes. Lynda, I think your assessment of why they don't work on film is accurate. too theatrical for me.. did you see the Tarantino one? I expect we'll see it because Dh likes his movies. I'm so-so.

re the shingles vaccine.... I had a mild case of shingles when I was in my mid 20's. I do NOT want to revisit it. the vaccine is recommended even if you've had shingles and had chicken pox as a kid. just recently my neighbor 's grandaughter (from japan) came down with chicken pox while visiting here her mother "doesn't believe in vaccines". the girl was quite sick and exposed a whole lot of unsuspecting people during her travels. several more that we know of got chicken pox. Shingles in older adults can be devastating. it can pop up on any nerve pathway and sometimes does not go away. check with your doc but I'd strongly recommend getting it. I think it's recommended for people over either 55 or 60. my insurance covered it. it's not 100% effective but I'll take any asssitance available.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Cardio Leg Blast (56:18).

What a weird Superbowl! A 35 minute delay because the lights went out. Not too bad for us, though, because we had our dinner and DH was dvr-ing the game, and then we just had to catch up, ff-ing through a lot of ads. Although I'm not much of a football fan, the game was pretty entertaining, especially with the big comeback from the 49ers after the delay. The ads were not all that great this year, and Beyonce was sexy, but I think I already knew that. I liked Madonna better last year.

Sounds like a good plan for you, Deb. I'm just trundling along on the undulating 90-day rotation, doing my modifications and substituting for Tabatacise. I will forward this 5 lbs in 3 days diet to you. It sounds as though it's pretty effective.

Great vacation for you Valerie. Sorry about your MIL. It must be very hard to be so far away and unable to provide support.

What did you think of the game, Lori?

Hi to Josie!

Hi Ladies,

I weighed myself this morning and I’m down a total of 7 pounds  I even had half a cheeseburger on Friday plus 2 glasses of wine. I also had a couple of margaritas yesterday with some hummus and Indian bread. I tried to make some healthy snacks for myself. My DH went all out of the junk food.

I did the spinning DVD from X-train on Saturday and I agree with you Valerie. It is better that the other one. I will be doing one of the pre-mixes today because it is supposed to be my recovery week on the Insanity program.

This morning I did the Core Cardio and Balance DVD. I will be doing the same DVD for the next 5 workouts. I liked it very much and felt that it gave a good workout without all the high impact.

The weather here was great, but it will be getting a bit cooler by Wednesday and maybe rain on Thursday.

I asked my Dr. about the Shingles vaccine and she told me that my insurance only covers it at age 60 otherwise it is $200.

My female co-worker is out today and I was hoping for a quiet day, but my male co-worker has not stopped talking since he got in this morning. He has wasted a whole hour and one half talking to me about the same things that he has been complaining for the past 4-5 years. I tried to ignore him, but he won’t shut up!!

I will be back later, I need some more coffee.

Josie

Good afternoon ladies!

Welcome back Valerie! Sounds like you had a great vacation. I had to Google what a Ermine was as I have never seen or heard of one. I would love to have a spin bike as I can see how much everyone seems to be enjoying Cathe's Ride. I think my husband would flip if I brought home another piece of equipment. Our workout room is starting to get a little crowded. I have read on these forums people have done this workout on other pieces of equipment like the treadmil for example and they love it.

Deb...I love walking Chester and he LOVES me walking him! We go in all sorts of weather. When it is really cold I dress for it and we walk really really fast! :)

Garance...agree with you on the Superbowl. I fell asleep during the blackout. DH woke me when it started up again and i did manage to finiish out the game. I also like Madonna more. Beyonce was fabulous and is so beautiful but I really do not know her music. With Madonna I was very familiar with it so I think that is why I preferred her show a little more.

Josie!!! You are hysterical. You just crack me up with your coworkers! and 7lbs!!! Wow you go girl!

Today I ran 3 miles on TM on a 3% incline. Usually I run on a 2.5 but needed to burn off a little extra snacks from the day before. Working out with DH tonight. He'll do the recumbent bike and I am planning on Burn Set Chest, Back and Shoulders.

Have a great afternoon!

ermine is also known as a short tailed weasel, I think. I'm not well versed on little weasel type critters and get mixed up with all the different names that get used. also called a stoat. just teensy...ran across the road in front of us, a flash of white with a black tip on his tail. skinny, long body, short legs and FAST. they are brown in summer, turn white in winter. I've seen them before around our previous house near a woodpile.

wow lori, you really do get in the leg work!
josie, FAB on 7 lb!. I wish I could do the same. I thought I'd use the spin bike more but DH uses clipless so I need to take those off and put on regular pedals every time I use it, and that takes extra time. I totally failed those hard soled shoes and clipless. hurt my feet so much!!

Valerie,

I do not plan on changing the pedals on the spin bike. I want my DH and DD to use the bike too. I still got a very good workout.

Josie

Good morning,

I did not have a good night, and the dog's are not to blame.

Valerie, welcome back! sad about the wolves...I can understand the rationalization of some hunting, but in the end, I really had to see any animal hunted. Wasn't "Ermine" popular a long time ago for fur collars and coats? Not so much now probably...

Garance, thanks again for the link. I will read it later..

Josie, good job on the weight loss! Have you changed your eating along with the new exercise series? Coffee...a girl after my own heart.

Valerie, Chester is one lucky dog to have you!

I can't wait until this work day is over.

Take care,

I don't know if anyone uses "real" fur anymore. ermine are so tiny I can't believe it would be worth the effort but people tend to be pretty ruthless that way. I remember when aunts used to wear fur... marten I think. sort of "decorative" things over their shoulders with all these little animal heads, tails and legs, dangling and swinging. they are such a treat to see in the wild, I don't understand how they could be worn and considered "fashionable". and of course, mink as in stoles and coats. at least the mink were ranched raised. it has always seemed awful to see people wearing all the little bodies of dead animals that were trapped. just to look fancy not even necessary to stay warm. fox, beaver, and probably ermine were all used but I don't think it's done much anymore. I'm not a radical about this and have leather shoes and purses. somehow... it seems less awful to raise animals for a purpose and kill them humanely to use their parts.

We did a regular street ride yesterday, 25 miles. we debated about whether we would or not and then the sun came out a little and off we went. very springlike, birds singing, flowers blooming, frogs croaking. really nice.
we got out kayak before we left on our vacation and put it together yesterday for the first time. It took us a while but I can see how we will be more efficient each time we do it. it breaks down into 2 bags so we can pack it with us when we travel.

We are providing medical support as best we can. more people there would not help any. she is doing so poorly we think something else is going on that was missed, possibly another tumor location. it's not any one's "fault" ... she had a large colon cancer that was removed less than 2 years ago too, but the bladder cancer is unrelated. she's disintegrating pretty quickly and does not enjoy anything anymore. for her sake I hope this is quick. I really liked my MIL a lot.

Josie, DH is really hooked on clipless pedals/shoes while I did NOT like either. the shoes are stiff and blister my toes. If you would like them I'd send them to you. they are european sizing the equivalent to about a size 7-7.5. they are a little big on me. I wore them a few times. I forget the brand but I can look if that might work for you.

Good morning ladies!

Brrrr still cold here in NE! This morning was to be Cardio Leg Blast but I decided not to do this. My left Trap Muscle was really sore this morning. Not sure if it was from doing Burn Sets the night before or that I just slept funny. Either way I decided against any routine that had weights in it. When I was younger I did not pay attention to my muscles and ended up with partial bicep tears. Needless to say I am smarter now. I decided to swap with Thursdays routine and do Tabatacise for the first time. I really enjoyed it and boy what a sweat fest! Very high impact but this is what I love. I was thrilled to have completed all 5 but at the same time was really glad it was over. If there was a 6th not sure if I would have been able to continue!

I'll check in later today to see how you all are doing!

Lori

Hi Ladies,

Both yappers (sp) are in today. I may need to take some aspiring so that I can avoid the headache. I did the recovery DVD again today.

Deb, I love coffee, but I can only have it in the morning, otherwise I can not sleep at night. I used to be able to drink it at any time before menopause, but not it just bothers me. I also became lactose intolerant. I am watching what I eat and only splurge on Friday’ and only at dinner.

Valerie, I would love to have the shoes. I wear a 7-7.5 also. I don’t care what brand they are.

Hi to Garance, Lori and Joan!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Bis and Tris (45:34).

I love faux fur! I have a faux leopard coat and a faux silver fox coat and they are superwarm and cosy. I always get a lot of compliments on them too. I can't imagine wearing real fur, though.

Poor Josie! Does anyone higher up or in HR know that the principal reason for retirement in your case is the co-worker issue? It just sounds nutsy to me. Same with me on coffee. Before menopause I could drink coffee all day and always had a cup with dinner. Now I have one big cup in the morning and that's it. If I drink coffee later in the afternoon, I cannot sleep to save my life.

Lori, it's still wintry here as well, and they are now tracking some godawful storm for Friday. I hope it stays east of us and just heads out to sea. Glad you like Tabatacise. Not for me. I will either do Cardio Supersets or Afterburn tomorrow as sub.

Josie, they're yours! PM me your address. UPS or post office? all I want is reimburse me for shipping, shoes are free. I've been trying to give them away for a year and everyone I know needed larger. If they don't work for you for any reason, feel free to pass them on to anyone who can use them.

add me to the "no coffee' list. I have a little "real stuff" for breakfast. if we're hiking or biking early with big energy burn I might have a little more like half a starbucks double shot but not after noon. I need to be careful with tea, soda, and chocolate. DH does too, not for sleep issues but caffeine is a migraine trigger for him. a little is OK, a little too much and whammo, a bad headache for 3 days. I even use decaf instant when I make ice cream. Luckily, I can still handle lactose since I'm a major dairy lover. would kill me to give up milk though I knwo there are plenty of decent substitutes these days.

I like fake fur too, and no one has to be killed for it! I'd rather see the little critters wearing their own coats!

Lori, that is what I'd do too with the shoulder. I haven't looked at Tabaticize but it sounds like I may be skipping this one too. I'll look and decide soon. I hurt something in my shoulder a couple years ago now, and tried to keep plugging along. it bothered me for a year! If I'd let it rest and heal, I would not have had to lay off for so long. If I feel anything not right, I rest that part for a few days and then go back lighter and carefully. This has paid off, no injuries in a long time.

hey,

Count me in on the NO (real) FUR crowd...however I am not so crazy about it to openly harass those that wear it...like some PITA people would be...

...and oh, those tiny animals that "old ladies" used to wear? they were awful, scared me to even look at them when I was a kid...

as for coffee, I drink 50/50 blend at home in the am....then switch to decafe tea at work...

Good morning & Happy Hump Day!

I did a shorter pre-mix ( second half) from Supercuts this morning. Surprised at the low calorie burn when I was huffin' and puffin' through it. I put the DVD on "slow" mode for that sit up/push up segment, and still only did 5 sets.

Garance, I sure hope we don't get any snow this weekend...I am flying on Sunday and flying in freezing weather makes me nervous.

Josie, does decafe coffee bother you too? I usually switch to decafe tea in the afternoon and it seems to be ok. Not sure what happened the other night. Are you marking down the days on your calendar? I am wafffling a bit on retiring this year. I had July 1 as a date in my mind, but not sure yet.

Valerie, I sure hope your MIL does not suffer too much...maybe time to look into Hospice care?

Lori, Good job on Tabatasize...I'm with Garance, may have to sell it on Ebay.

Agility class tonight, so a late one for me...

Stay warm!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Afterburn (54 min.). Sold Tabatacise!

Deb, I watched Downton Abbey last night. I don't really understand the Bates story in jail. I hope Edith turns into a feminist journalist. I think even decaf coffee has some caffeine in it. My problem is that I don't particularly like the taste of decaf, so why bother with it.

Lori, I wish this storm would go away. One tracking has 16 inches for us in western MA. Ugh! DH says this is just more fearcasting from the weathermen who seem to love to give us the worst case scenarios.

Spending part of this afternoon with our insurance agent. We really need more insurance on our house, barns, contents of the house. Problem: I hate getting insurance for something that is rather unlikely to happen.

Good morning ladies!

Slept in this morning. Body needed it. Shoulder is feeling good so I plan on Bis and Tris this evening.

I love Faux fir too. Funny about the old ladies Deb with the dead animails. I felt the same thing when I was young. My grandmother would scare me to death with her coat! Good job too on the sit up/pushups. I barely did 6 when I did the workout when I first got the series and have not done it since. It will be interesting to see how I do on Saturday with it.

Garance...we are expecting lot's of snow in my area on Friday into Saturday. Right now they are predicting 13 to 15 inches! I may not be doing Super Cuts on saturday after we do all the shoveling!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.