Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/3

Hi Ladies,

Day 3 or my recovery week DVD, I don’t know why he call it recovery. It has kicked my butt every single day ;)

Valerie, thank you so much! I will send you my information.

Deb, I’m with Garance. Even decaf has some caffeine and it tastes so weak, so why bother.

Hi to Lori and Joan!

Josie

WARNING: LONG DOWNTON ABBEY POST...if you don't watch the show, just skip this post. ;)

Garance, I was a little confused with the Bates jail storyline too.

It almost seemed like they left out part of the story. When I started the episode where he and Anna were walking and looking at the houses available on the estate, I first thought one of them was surely having a dream, then when it wasn;'t that, I checked my DVD to see if I had skipped an episode. very strange.

here is what I found by Googling:

John Bates is comforted by his wife's determination to not give up on setting him free, and he himself maintains his innocence. But he spends a lot of time in prison, which is made all the more difficult because he is confined in close quarters with characters that are described as "undesirable." His cellmate Craig planted drugs in Bates's bed, intending to frame him. Fortunately, another prisoner, Dent, who hated Craig, warned him in time. But this put him on bad terms with the guards, which cut off all correspondence between him and Anna.
Dent later told him that Craig and one of the guards, Durrant, were working together selling drugs. After Bates successfully got Craig on bad terms with the guards by putting the drugs in his bed, his and Anna's letters were finally deliveres to each of them. Another guard, Turner, warned Bates that Durrant did not like him and so he became more watchful for an opportunity to deal with Craig.
In 1920, after Audrey Bartlett gave a testimony that cleared his name, Bates was released from prison, and he returned with Anna to a cottage near Downton. They start painting it, and it was done by the time O'Brien paid a visit. Mrs. Hughes informs Mr. Bates of the situation regarding Thomas and Jimmy, and though he wants Thomas to go he does not want to see anyone's life ruined. Later he alarms Ms. O'Brien when he mentions "her ladyship's soap," indicating he knows she caused Cora's miscarriage back in 1914. He tells this to Anna as well as his disapointment that Thomas was staying on in a higher position than himself.

Josie, shoes are packed and ready to go tomorrow. I'll let you know what shipping is, expecting $10-$15 or so. They look brand new. I'm not hard on shoes and learned quickly these were not for me. I tried on the road bike a number of times, and twice on the spin bike. my ankles are too flexible to get any kind of positive "connection"... feel like I'm on ice. they quickly blistered the my toes on the spin bike. I hope they fit and you have better luck! they are Pearl Izumi. If they don't work for you, give them to anyone else who can use them.

very warm today, a little showery so we started spring garden chores. a lot of work to set things up. I try to get low maintenance plants but dead plants need to be pruned, cut back, raked. we got a lot done and that counted for the workout. sorry to hear you all talking about snow! it's too early to get cocky but some years we are edging into spring at this time. things are starting to bloom, heather & hellebores & witch hazel. all the winter weeds are bursting out. that is a downside of mild winters, we have weeds growing robustly all year.

MIL has decided not to continue with treatment. we thought it might turn this way. If she hadn't recently gone through the big surgery for colon cancer, maybe she would not be so worn out but it's her decision.

Good morning,

no workout, late class. 2 more days then the weekend which is really not much of a weekend. My cleaning person's husband died last Friday, and the memorial service is Saturday morning. Then Sunday I have a 6:00 am flight ( what was I thinking?) to Palm Springs. I will have to be up by 3:30 and out the door by about 4:15. I just hope the weather cooperates.

Valerie, I hope your MIL does not suffer too much. So sad. Getting gardens cleaned up in February is so strange to us "East Coasters"

Josie, which series is it that you are doing? Insanity?

Garance, what things are you being insured for that are most likely not going to happen?

Lori, yes, I did 5 of those things, but remember, I also slowed the DVD down...could never keep up with Cathe/crew speed.

Off to get ready, "another day, another nickel" as they say.

Hi Ladies,

No workout this morning. My DH and I went out to dinner last night and I had 2 glasses of wine and woke up very dehydrated. I guess my body is a temple right now and I need to respect it ;) I will be going to my sculp class tonight.

Deb, I’m doing Insanity. I like it very much and it is working out well for me. The workouts are not very long and they go by very fast. How long are you staying in Palm Springs?

Valerie, thank you so much! Let me know how much I owe you once you mail the shoes.

Hi to Joan, Garance and Lori!

Josie

Good afternoon ladies!

This morning was Cardio Leg Blast which I love. I feel this workout flies by. I must be getting stronger as I had no problem doing the step portions with the 3 risers. First couple of times doing this routine I was fine with just 2.

Deb great idea with slowing the DVD down a bit. I am going to try this next time I do them I did manage to get 6 to their 8 but mine were far from pretty. I would rather do even less and have better form!

Josie how are you liking Insanity? A friend of mine gave me the set to use but I have not done them consistently. I felt like I was sort of doing the same workout. Perhaps if I stuck with it I would not feel this way.

Garance are you ready for this storm? They are predicting massive amounts. All this hype makes me crazy.

Valerie..I wish I was planning my spring garden! Won't be doing this for a while. So sorry about your MIL. Very sad.

Have a great afternoon!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Hard Strikes (46:37). I wish I could get better on those side plank snatches.

Deb, thanks for the Bates story. I am only on episode 3, so I guess I have a lot more of Bates-Anna to look forward to. Oh, you know--flood, fire, burglary, a tree falling on the house, dying without enough life insurance to cover the horrendous estate tax in taxachusetts. We have some serious art work, I have a lot of jewelry, both from DH and all my dead sisters, two sets of sterling silver, once again from sisters, and a set of Bohemian china from the 19th c. inherited from my grandmother to my mom to me. Anybody know anyone from the Antiques Road Show?? We have two barns, DH has three tractors, a skidder, a wood processor, haying equipment and then there's insurance for anything farm related--his animals, his products. I think by the time you head to Palm Springs the snow should be over. I envy your trip to balmier climes. It sounds pretty bad for us, though. DH remains sanguine because he never trusts the weathermen. We'll see.

Lori--good for you on three risers. I use only one riser. I really like this one too and feel like it flies by. I know I know I know--fearmongering weathermen. They really don't know how this triple set of fronts will track and who will really get hit.

Josie, was it white wine or red? I stay away from red wine--I think the tannins in it give me some kind of headachy hangover.

Valerie, sorry about your mil. On the other hand, it's good that she is able to make her own decisions.

I've never been able to taste any difference between decaf and regular. I'm a big fan of starbucks. they roast their coffee darker than most others. I've always loved it. I go through a lot of decaf espresso and regular espresso. maybe the darker roast makes up any flavor difference. Heavy red wines like cabernets used to give me headaches, cotton mouth, even with small amounts, like a glass or two. so I seldom drink reds except maybe a small glass occasionally. I'd heard tannins too.

yoga this morning and going to do the spin disk again.

Lori look for a button on your remote that says "0.8x 1.4" or something similar. mine will slow to 80%. slows things to keep up, like on the pushup/ situp combo or to decipher any fast moves you can't quite see. It's very handy because you can slow things for as long or as little as you want, and one click and it's back to regular speed. at least on my remote. they don't all have this feature.

Lynda, we go thru the same agonizing over earthquake insurance. the insurance available is expensive and not very good but if we have a bad one, it would be some help, assuming we lived. who can predict whether it's a waste of money or a wise investment? .... this area has had big quakes before, like in the 8 range and that would destroy most houses completely. so we spend the money and hope we never need it.

Are there similarities with this storm and the weather patterns that generated Sandy? you northeasterners can't catch a break this year! Hope you don't get hit too hard.

Good morning,

I just finished Burn Sets Bi's & Tri's. I think I will bring Travel Fit with me and a band, hopefully I will feel like doing this in the hotel room. I have it downloaded on my iPad. Also the treadmill and Cardio Coach and the whoopin' /hollerin' Grace.

We didn't get any snow yet, so the Fear Monger weather people were off, at least about the overnight snow....hope they are completely wrong this time.

Garance & Lori? did you get hit last night?

Josie, I will be in Palm Springs Sun' flying to get there, Mon-Tues-Wed.. flying back Thursday.

Lori, I have a button on the remote that says "Slow"..I just hit it once and it's perfect. I should have used that on Crossfire and To the Max.

Garance, the series should be on episode 6 or something right? are you saving them on DVR to watch? I watched them too fast with the DVD's...now it's over and we have to wait another year? I think I read somewhere that season 4 will be the last season...or at least that's what they say now.

Valerie, funny, now I love coffee, but hate Starbucks....it tastes burned to me. They have some new blend that is supposed to taste better, but I didn't think it was that great. We use beans, and have a coffee maker that grinds them right before making the coffee, so it is always freshly ground and that makes a difference I think. We use a 50/50 blend of regular beans to decafe.

I need to find out if they have free wiFi in the rooms at the resort...if not I will pay so that I can use the iPad and keep up my MFP logging, stop in here etc.

Off to the wars!

Funny about Starbucks!I've been buying their coffee since it was a single store at the Pike Place Market about 40 yrs ago. loved it immediately. Amazing how huge an enterprise it's become. Most other coffee tastes green or unroasted to me. but it's a common complaint from people who don't like the heavier roasting. When my current coffee pot dies, I'd like to get one where I can grind and brew, at least I think I would. I've had several separate grinders and they make such a mess with grounds everywhere, so started buying ground coffee. I get it at a starbucks inside the grocery. they grind it right then, so it's fresh, and we use almost a pound a week.
What brand coffee maker do you use? are you happy with it? any negatives? My pot is a Cuisinart... lasted a long time and works well. sometimes the display goes blank though, and when the electronics die I'll need to replace it immediately.

Do you think there may be problems getting to the airport for your early flight? they really ae hyping this storm. I live a long commute from our airport, all the way through seattle. it's an awful drive most times.
Did the spin disk as planned. I like this one and it keeps my heart rate right where I want I'm getting better on the posture.
Josie, I didn't mail the package yet but will today. it wasn't open yet when I went by yesterday at 8:15. today for sure.

Happy Friday!

I was hoping that the chatty Kathy’s were going to be out today, but the showed up. One is sick and brought her germs in and the other one is behind on his work, so here he is ;).

I did my recovery cardio DVD. I ended up taking the day off yesterday when I realized that I did not take a day off last week.

Garance, the wine was red and 2 glasses were about 8 ounces total. I will not be having that again. I will stick to my Friday Manhattan ;)

Deb, I have next Friday off and was hoping that you would be there so that I could meet you in person. Maybe next time.

Valerie, don’t rush on my account. Send them whenever.

Lori, Insanity is a bit repetitive, but he does change the sequence on every DVD. Next week is the max insanity DVD’s which are a bit longer than the first months workouts. I will need to get up earlier.

Hi to Joan!

Josie

Good morning all,

I haven't done anything but my gym twice a week since I got over flu/virus. I just didn't have the energy to get back in the rotation and now that I feel better I am swamped with work. That will get manageble later. I will have just as much work but they won't want their returns as quickly later (no refunds:))

Now I have an ice pack on my knee. Yesterday was lower body and I was lifting heavy. No didn't get hurt on the dead lifts, not the dozens of lunges or the 4 one minute planks. I'm getting up from the floor and twist my knee and could not step down on that leg. I had to get my trainer to get my car and bring it to the door. At least I can walk now but it still hurts.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Supercuts (46 min.). I didn't do the add-on core because I did the core work yesterday on Hard Strikes.

So far, no snow, nada, nothing. I think we are going to get hit over night, which is fine with me. So far, it's just the coastal areas and a mix of rain and snow to the south, and it sounds like Boston is in the eye of the storm. I don't think this is the same kind of weather event as hurricane Sandy, Valerie. Instead it's some kind of confluence of three fronts.

Deb, Downton Abbey is, I believe, on episode 4 or 5 next Sunday. Enjoy the sun on your vacation. What a lovely break from winter.

Josie, I love my Manhattans--especially with Knob Creek or Maker's Mark. I think you like Woodford Reserve? I still haven't tried that one because I have one when we go out to dinner, and the local restaurants don't seem to have that bourbon.

Joan, sorry about your knee. My knees are definitely my trouble area too.

Anything yet, Lori? I think you will be hit before we are.

Good afternoon,

It is snowing like crazy here, lots more than it was this morning. Still not really that bad though because there is hardly any wind.

Valerie: this is almost exactly like the one we have, however ours does not have a water filter. They must have added that on to the new models.
Cuisinart Webstore Grind & Brew™ 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker. We got it at Bed Bath & Beyond, using a 20% off coupon so it was pretty reasonable. I love the coffee it makes.

Garance, too funny that you are not getting the snow that the "experts" predicted. It's like a winter wonderland here. I forget that the first episode on TV was 2 hours and on the DVD it is split into 2 episodes...

Joan, too bad about your knee....also my weak body part. Mine is actually the tendon right behind the knee...not sure what that is or what I did to make it that way.

Josie, I wish I was there longer to be able to meet you too! Like you said, maybe some time in the future..

Lori? are you at home or stuck at work? I hope you didn't get hit really hard with snow.

I guess I should start looking at my summer clothes and deciding what I am going to bring...that's the part I hate the most....packing!

Later...

too funny Deb... I have almost the same one except it doesn't grind beans. it had a water filter but I never used it. looks very similar. I've had it a LONG time. just keeps on working. occasionally the display blanks and one of these times it probably won't come back on.

Hope you can get to the airport OK and that your flight doesn't get cancelled. check ahead to be sure! Palm springs probably sounds pretty good right now.

Joan, sorry about the knee.... hope you didn't do a mensical tear! my knees work pretty well yet, but I'm getting more careful, the more stories I hear.

Hi all!!!

Hard Strikes this morning and I added in cario kicks power drills at the end. Love combining these two. Gives me about a 45 min workout.

Our office closed today at Noon and the roads were a little slippery but not bad. It is now 5:30pm and boy it is getting ugly out there. Our Gov. has banned driving after 4pm. My husband is staying at a hotel tonight rather than make the long drive home and then back in the morning. Which is a relief. So it is me and my son to tackle the storm and I feel we are prepared as we can be. While at work I was putting supercuts on my ipad incase we lose power I will still be able to do my workout tomorrow (if I am not exhausted from shoveling). My coworkers laughed and said most people are worried about power and having flashlights and you are worried about missing your workout!! Was pretty funny. :)

Have a good night and I will update you all in the morning!

Good morning and Happy Weekend!

Lots of snow overnight....John read that the top 2 areas for snow were Niagara Falls ( right around the corner from us), and Portland Maine....figures....We probably have a total of 18 inches...he is out there snow blowing right now.

We have a memorial service at 10:00...then I have a hair cut at 2:00....then I have about 3 hours of ironing to get my wrinkled summer clothes looking halfway decent before I pack them, and then take them out and iron them again at the hotel...ugh...

Hope everyone has a good day and stay warm!!
snowman.gif

Thanks Josie....I did see that on the weather...although it said it is going to be around 65-70 most days, going up on Wednesday...still better than 16!

I don't see anyone from Ma here....I hope they didn't lose power...:(

Checking in ... 40 and drizzling outside. typical for Feb. Deb, hope you have a good trip and that your flight isn't cancelled or delayed. definitely need fleece (or something) for morning and evenings!

Josie, I sent you a PM and shipped the shoes yesterday.

I signed up for 3 months on weight watchers . I'm getting nowhere fast. just holding in place, not gaining or losing. ooking thru the program I think I'm doing very close to their recommendations but I'll add up points and see if I'm going astray somewhere. I've been eating well without any "junk" but that doesn't seem to help.

Did the first disk, chest, shoulders, back yesterday plus the ab workout. need to do something today, maybe tris, bis, and then cardio tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.