Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/21

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Well I said "cold be damned" and did an upper body BFL ( Body For Life) workout this morning. I tried to go as heavy as I could, to make it really challenging. I'm glad I did it. I have to judge an obedience match at our dog club this morning, wish I could ditch it, but they are counting on me showing up.

Cathy, I agree you need to take a week off, no workouts at all, just rest. Listen to your body. Listen to me preaching to you after what I wrote above..:rolleyes:. I did take a week off though and it helped a lot.

What is everyone up to this weekend?

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Bum Bum (30 min.), followed by the P-57 upper body (30 min.). I think Bum Bum is both lower body and cardio--or at least I break quite a sweat on this one.

My younger son broke his femur skiing yesterday afternoon and is currently in a hospital associated with Dartmouth. Tomorrow we will head up there to see him. He was in traction last night and they operated on him this morning--putting a rod and screws in the bone. I'm so glad he wears a helmet skiing because it must have been quite a fall or collision. We will learn more tomorrow. Lucky I'm not teaching on Mondays.

Good for you Deb working out! I usually try to work out when I have a cold if I am not "gushing" too much from eyes and nose. Sometimes, though, a cold just gets the best of you. I almost did not get up this morning because I had a poor night's sleep. Worried about son and the feral cat woke up Max, so he started barking, and I couldn't get back to sleep right away.

Nothing much this weekend other than class preparations and Housemax, shopping, watching Olympics.

Garance, sorry to hear about your DS and the accident. I am glad as well that it was not a head or spine accident. Sending all positive (Vibes) his way for a speedy recovery. Have a safe trip.

Monday

Good morning,

I got up and did Cardio Coach #7, then messed up my HRM so that I could not get the calories burned at the end....aaaarrgh...:mad:

Not much going on, work today, and hopefully the surgeon has the test results sometime today. The weather is getting really old,...cold and snow on the ground. I hate when you have to wear boots and bring shoes along.

Joan, how is your DM doing?

Cathy, are you feeling better?

Valerie, what's up in your world? How is the gardening ( or preparing for gardening), going?

Josie, did you get out on your bike this weekend?

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Petra Kolber's Bootcamp Boogie (63 min.).

Off to see son later this morning. Thanks, Deb, for the good wishes. I hope you have good news on John. My son was skiing in the "glades" and collided with a tree. One of his last runs and it was dusk, making visibility somewhat murky. I am really happy about that helmet.

How is everyone else??

Good morning, all. We are continuing with our warm sunny weather .. we have the same weather as the olympics basically... except we're lower elevation. things are blooming everywhere and it's expected to continue. the el nino pattern is still strong. It's been so nice I almost can't believe I live here... usually jan and feb are wretched. We did a gorgeous hike on saturday that was very difficult. It took 6 1/2 hours and was very steep, going up and back down were equally trying. we were both too tired to do anything significant sunday, and settled for a couple mile walk in a wildlife refuge nearby.
I did disk 18 friday late afternoon. so tomorrow 19. I'm trying to finish meso 2 before vacation in early march and am not sure I'll make it. it will be close.

garance, sorry to hear about your son's accident. My nephew broke his femur the first time he went skiing, a bad break. I hope it doesn't discourage him from trying other sports... he's kind of a marshmallow. But kids heal fast. Hope he does well and yes, lucky he wore a helmet. he wasn't inspired by watching the olympic downhill stuff, was he? Wow, some of the spills and crashes they take are horrifying but at least they don't have trees near the courses!

Deb, I'm don't do cardio with a head cold .... I get SO congested and the meds to alleviate it make me feel bad but I can't breathe / sleep if I'm NOT medicated. I wait until it feels like a good idea before I do cardio, but a weight workout might be OK. Hope you get good news about DH today. Waiting is just the worst.

Joan, what a great experience to have as a young woman. Your mother did a wonderful thing. I wish I'd had the opportunity to go somewhere in my college years. I ended up at the local university and it was pretty much like high school extended but much harder. no great "world" experience. I traveled some since on my own, but my parents were way to frightened of everything to ever have made something like that possible.

i felt horrible when i woke up. ole' "gerdie" hit me before i got up and it has been unpleasant all day. but, i did do bootcamp, maximum calorie burn, (the firm). i made it through better than i thought i would and added 5 min. of squat variations. it is a pretty tough w/out. anyone done it?

tomorrow is supposed to be allie's maximum cardio burn.

sorry about your son, garance. that is a real drag.
dern, gonna get coooolllddd again tonite, and possible snow tomorrow. but, it ain't gonna snow. rarely does here. just gonna be cold , nasty, and rainy.

garance, did i see somewhere that you are going to ENGLAND???? you lucky dawg!! i lived in england when i was a child and it is so cool. i loved it. would love to go back. still have friends there. i am so jealous. :)

Tuesday

Good morning,

Today I did a BFL leg workout. It seems strange not working out to a Cathe DVD, but I kind of like it.

No news on the DH front. The surgeon's office has the report but he is not there until tomorrow so they told DH to call then. :mad:..

Garance, hope all is well with your DS.

Valerie, I want to move to your part of the country. It is getting really old here..yesterday we had snow, sleet, hail, rain, and back to snow. It made for a lovely ride home. I am amazed at your 6 1/2 hour hike! :eek: I would be dead.

Cathy, who is old Gerdie? I have some Firm workouts, the original 6, which I think are still the best they ever did, and a few after that which I did not do very much. How is WW going?

Hi to Josie & Joan,

Take care.

Not to speak for anyone else ( cathy) but I'm pretty sure "gertie" is GERD ... refers to gastroesophageal reflux disease... not anything you want to start ( or end) your day with....

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did BBL Sculpt (50 min.).

Long trip yesterday (2.5 hours to Hanover NH and 4 hours with ds and 2.5 hours back). My son is doing okay, but I think he probably had a terrible night on Saturday, first looking at his leg turned out to the side, having his ski boot pulled off, splinting, then being taken to Dartmouth-Hitchcock and having about 20 doctors all around him, then having a neck brace on all night, then getting nothing to drink all night, then finally being operated on Sunday morning by the head orthopedist. I just cringed when I looked at the x-rays. He's an excellent skier (dh taught both boys starting at 4 yrs.), so it was not an amateur accident. He's also a trainer at CATZ of multiple teams, a start goalkeeper in soccer at Gettysburg, and in h.s. was a star basketball player. I'm sure he will eventually be fine, but it will take 6 mos. to heal and another 3-6 mos. to be back to his old self. He's going to be staying with his woman friend for awhile because she lives on a ground floor apt. and then hopes to be crutching it for awhile to work. I wish he were closer, but I'm glad he will stay in the hospital for another few days because of the snow moving in. Dartmouth-Hitchcock is the size of a small city! But clearly a top notch hospital.

Yes, Valerie, I am with Deb--I WANT YOUR WEATHER!!!

My piece came out in Gastronomica if any of you read this magazine for foodies: "Lucent Figs and Suave Veal Chops: Sylvia Plath and Food."

Yep, Cathy, off to Cambridge in the fall, but only for a few days. I was in Oxford last time, and spent 10 days in London a few years ago working at the British Library.

Big teaching afternoon: early Plath poems, Cambridge journals, and then Pope's Rape of the Lock.

yes, it is GERD, LOL! sorry. i named it gerdie, seems to be around alot lately, so thought i'd name it.:) anyway, thanks traildoggie! but, am better today.

we just had about 5 min. of snow. :) big, pretty flakes. but, it has already stopped.

did allies maximum cardio burn this am. good workout. i like most of the firm's . i noticed in 2005 when the trasfirmer came out that my legs really shaped up using the incline. i try to use the incline in all of them. i have some of the newer ones. but, i did not get the wave one. looks hokey to me. but, i do love my incline step. personally, i like the BSS's better than the classics. i did the classics for years, but i think the BSS's are alot more fun.

Wednesday

Good morning,

No workout today. I decided not to take my tylenol PM last night, trying not to take one every night and I woke up every hour. At 3:15 I turned off the workout alarm and tried to get more sleep. Still woke up at 5:15 and just got up. We are supposed to hear from the surgeon today, DH is off until about 11:00 ( he has late hours on Wednesday) and will be calling him first thing this morning.

Garance, your DS has a long road ahead, but at least it has a good progosis. My friend's brother had a similiar skiing accident where he went into a tree, and has been paralyzed from the waist down since. He was skiing at night, and they turned the lights off on the trail while he was going down. There was much controversy, as you can imagine and lots of law suits etc. Good that he is in a good hospital too. I never saw that magazine. Is it just available on line?

Cathy, Gerdie...I bet you like when she does not visit....... I think I have that BSS series but don't remember much about it, I may have never tried it..

Hi to Valerie, Joan & Josie,

Take care..

Hi ladies,

Deb Still sending good vibes to your dh.

Garance sorry to hear about ds. I'm glad it was not worse.

Josie You jinxed me. I have been called to jury duty in March. Let's hope I can get out of it.

I keep this forum open on computer but it seems like I don't even get a chance to look at it during the day.

Still no wo. All work no play. I have 204 returns in with 171 completed.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio Axe (30 min.) and then 2 miles with Leslie, wearing my 10 lb. vest (30 min.).

DS is already much, much better and is going back to his own apt. today. A friend from Boston is picking him up. The swelling in his leg just seemed to magically go down, down, down and he can now bend his knee. I am so happy about this. When we saw him, he was worried that they would have to drain some of the blood from the insertion of the rod in the bone. I was also worried about him getting hooked on morphine, but he says he really hasn't taken much for the past 24 hrs. because he hates how sleepy-groggy it makes him. He is allergic to all kinds of other painkillers, so morphine was really the only choice.

Deb, have you heard anything about John's results? You are probably right about not relying on Tylenol PM every night. I asked my doctor ages ago about using it when my hot flashes were so awful, and she said that the antihistamine can have an adverse effect on the ratio of red blood cells to white blood cells if you take it every day. Gastronomica has a website, but I don't think the journal is available online. It's really a library journal and according to the editor a "New Yorker for foodies."

Once again, Valerie, I want your weather. It's been snowing constantly for almost two days now, and it's very wet snow. Tomorrow they are saying rain.

Hi to Cathy and Joan!

Hi Ladies,

I'm back from my short gambling trip and I came back with an extra $580. In my pocket.

Deb, I did not go back and read last weeks post, so I guess the news was not good. I hope that you and your DH get good news today. I did get 3 hours on my bike this weekend and plan on going on 2 rides this weekend.

Garance, I’m sorry to hear about your DS, but I'm glad that he is already recuperating.
I wish that I was wearing a helmet the 2 times that I fell flat on my face while running.

Cathy, I hope that you are feeling better.

Joan, sorry for jinxing you. I hope that you do not get called in.

Valerie, we are also enjoying good weather here, but I heard on the news that we might have rain starting Friday.

Well, back to the grind stone.

Josie

Hi Garance,

Thank you for the list of books, I will be ordering them asap. Cathy, I will post some of the work outs for you that i do with Kevin.

Josie

thanks ya'll, i feel better today.
i did the firm's pump,jump&jab w/kelsie today. it is really a good workout. kelsie packs a punch in all of her workouts. it is 40 m. , but a super workout.

going down to my son's tomorrow to cook hamburgers on the fire and play with my grandkids. supposed to be 65 tomorrow, after being 30 yesterday. :) only in texas.

Thursday

Good morning,

Just wanted to let everyone know that WE GOT THE BEST NEWS!!! Apparently is was not even Carcinoma In Situ, ( stage 0 cancer) but a lesser evil called Severe dysplasia ( sp?)...which I thought had to be bad because of the "Severe" description but the surgeon said, No, this is a good thing! All he said John has to do is get a CT scan in about 6 months to make sure everything is still ok, ...but he was pretty pleased with the results. Needless to say we are so relieved.

Thank you all for the well wishes, and positive thoughts.

Joan, you are really cranking them out! How is your Mom doing?

Garance, great news about your DS. :D. We are supposed to be getting a really bad storm starting this evening and snowing all night and into tomorrow..ugh. Up to a foot of snow. They said it is coming from the east, so I would think you might be getting some too? I wore my 20 pound vest the other day when doing my leg workout, and I could hardly bend down to pick up weights.

Josie, you are one lucky girl! where did you go gambling? Do you still want the stuff from Ebay? please send me a link with the description and I will start the "hunt" for you!

Cathy, making hamburgers and playing with the kids sounds like fun! Sometimes those shorter workouts are the best, get in and get it done!

Take care and for those of us in the snow belts, stay warm!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.