Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/19

fox2star

Cathlete
Hi,

Just getting this week's thread started. Lots of HouseMax to do, some cooking for the week etc.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, too short for me!

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

Housemax yesterday. DH and I went to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. We both really liked it. I'm not sure if you haven't read the book by LeCarre whether it might be too hard to follow. It's about finding a mole in British intelligence. I loved the book and the PBS series, and the film is equally impressive. Great actors--Gary Oldman, Colin Firth. I also watched Ides of March on Friday night. Was not very impressed. Seemed pretty old news--politicians are corrupt. Yes, I think I knew that.

Busy day today. Deb, we are having a pork loin roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, and then this really interesting salad I found at epicurious.com that had so many rave reviews I had to try it. Kale sliced very thin, center ribs removed, brussel sprouts chopped fine in a food processor, toasted almonds and pecorino romano cheese. Dressing is lemon juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, minced garlic and minced shallots with salt and pepper to taste. I made the dressing and the chopped greens in advance, so I just put it together when we serve our guests. For dessert, a blackberry cobbler from my Southern Plate cookbook that is incredibly simple, but dh says it's the best cobbler he's ever had. The batter is layered on melted butter, and then you plop the berries in sugar and a bit of butter on top, and the batter just rises up around the berries. Serve that with vanilla ice cream. Wine with some cheese and crackers before the meal.

Gosh, where is winter? It's in the 40s again.

Rained all day yesterday so did Housemax instead of yardmax. then did GS Back Biceps. I am a bit sore today so I have not been doing enough upper body work. this morning we wanted to ski but drove up to the mts and ended up doing "road crew" work to get up the road. lots of trees and branches down, and the chain saw kept stalling out. by the time we got where we planned to go weather had deteriorated , it was snowing hard and very slippery so we bagged it and came home to wait for a better day.

DH is tilling in the cover crop right now. will need to be done at least once more but it keeps growing and gets so tall it's hard to till. we are going to be gone 5 days next week and need to figure out what to do. we have two main options but if the weather stays wet and messy, neither sounds good.

bummer on the "Ides" movie. was hoping for a better prognosis than that. I love political movies so I'll still give it a try when it gets up the queue. Tinker worries me .... I'm not good at hard-to-follow movies though subtitles help. I never read the book but I don't do well with complex plots. DH follows things WAY better than I do, but I hate to keep asking him what the heck just happened.

Oh yes... dinner sounds good. that salad sounds especially interesting. I've struggled with brussels sprouts a dozen ways but never found anything I really liked. I don't think I've had them raw in a salad. I love kale. I love that kind of dressing. I will go take a look at epicurious. cobbler sounds lovely too. I love berry desserts.

Good morning,

Taking Keegan in for a Urine draw this morning. Keep your fingers crossed that the last sample was contaminated in some way and this one comes out ok.

Garance, how was dinner? I went over to the site and looked at the salad recipe. Sounds good. I don't think I have ever eaten kale.

Valerie, what plans do you have for the 5 days if the weather doesn't cooperate? Will you stick around your house? My favorite vacations are when I get to stay home.

Hi to Joan, Josie, & Cathy,

Take care,

I will try that salad. I love kale and brussels sprouts. Definitely rave reviews. Linda did you just happen upon it? did someone recommend it to you? there's so much on epicurious it's hard to figure out where to start. I don't have romano, will sub parmesan. I've never been able to tell the difference between the two.

Dressing sounds great, I only like vinaigrette type dressings. Deb, Kale is a bit like spinach except the texture holds up. It gets "limp-er" when cooked but still holds its shape. I like it a lot. I don't knwo how to describe the taste but pleasant. I use it plain, sauteed in a bit of olive oil. I use it in soup, especially potato soup and minestrone. a bunch of different kinds, some have flat leaves others frilly and curled. It grows all year here, slowly in winter. I have some now that can be harvested. I've used it in curry dishes. it gets softer but does not go to mush.

weather is looking crummy. not sure what we will do. we've been stuck home way too much so want to do 'something".

Deb, hope keegan's urine turns out OK.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, and Valerie--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

The salad was a big hit, even with my niece and nephew, who had two giant helpings. Two suggestions: Use a scissors on the kale rather than trying to slice it. It goes a lot faster. And forget the grating of brussels sprouts. Just throw them in the food processor and let her rip until they are fine. I was surprised how quick that was--no more than a minute in my cuisinart. I'm not a big fan of cooked brussels sprouts, either, but they are lovely, crunchy in this salad. And, the best thing of all is what some of the reviewers said--the salad tastes even better today--still crunchy, even with the dressing. I'm having it for lunch. Valerie, when I visit epicurious.com just for a look-see, I go to the buzz box and see the 3 pages there. That's where I found this recipe with all of the positive reviews.

Deb, good luck on Keegan. Does he seem okay otherwise?

Valerie, I really don't think you would be able to follow Tinker, Tailor because the major character is also struggling to put things together, and there are so many characters that are much more clearly delineated in the book, but in the film, you can tell that the casting director was relying on instant recognition of the prissy one, the dandy, etc. based on their looks and clothes.

The weather here is spring-like. Lovely.

thanks for that...the buzz box. I'll start watching it.

another way with kale or any big leafed green.... I trim out the stem by holding the leaves vertically by the stem and slicing down each side of the stem. I set all the leaves in a big pile facing the same way. then roll it up from the narrow end tightly in a tube, like a big cigar. then slice thinly with a knife. works like a charm. this is way easier and gives more uniform slices. you could probably use a scissors at that point instead of a knife. I usually grow the frilly kind but got some tuscan kale seeds to try this year.

I probably won't read the book. I think at one time I tried but didn't get into it. I may do e research ahead. I'd rather have an idea of what is happening, then I'll follow better. If it's a surprise or if it's confusing, I'll give up and go to bed.

Good news on the "P-Front!! Perfect analysis, no rods, no crystals, no infection, no bacteria and a PH of 6.5 which is perfect!

I know, I'm a nut...but he's my baby!!
grommit.gif

Morning all,

very tired today, went to an 8:30 class last night and did not get back until 10:00. Not sure if I will be able to do this every Monday, but it was fun and good for John and Keegan to get back into something. John has been very leery about anything that has him walking without watching 100% where he is going, due to the balance issue. When you train your dog, you are watching them most of the time and not where you are walking. He did fine, got a little dizzy on the "figure 8's" but so did I!

It's supposed to warm up to mid 40's starting tomorrow. I think I like global warming!

Take care,

I did some yardmax yesterday and then did the cyclemax premix, 41 minutes. also the TB ab workout. I'll get this eventually. I did better, went a little faster. have increased the tension quite a bit. I played with the seat height, the seat forward / back business.

Linda, cathe's current newsletter talks about getting adapted to spin. she talks a lot about crotch soreness. no trouble with that, she has us standing much of the workout. street riding for hours on a bike seat is hard to get used to. I can't handle over 2.5 hours. I wore padded shorts yesterday but for spin that doesn't seem necessary.

Deb, what happened differently this time to improve keegan's outcome? whatever it is, keep doing it.

I would be dead meat if I got home at 10. I'm used to sleeping from 8 to 4:30. if I got home at 10 it would take me another 2 hours to decompress and I'd never get enough sleep. just get too revved up and can't unwind fast to go to sleep.

I will have a daffodil blooming this week... also lenten roses. one of the minature ones. lots of weeds flowering...they are well adapted. this is normal for here. we transplanted a bunch of plants yesterday, dividing and relocating.

Thought I'd stop by to let you know I am alive. No exercise but I think I weigh the same.

Please cut and paste this next sentence in everyday. I am doing tax returns and nothing else. That's about all I could post .

It should be 60 degrees tomorrow. I don't know where our winter went either.

Joan

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, and Valerie--

This morning I did Slide and Glide (52 min.).

Good news, Deb, about Keegan. After I broke my elbow, I was the same way. No more looking up at the stars or anything else, just watch where I'm walking.

Watched the finale of the second season of Downton Abbey last night. Very satisfying. Can't wait until the third season. If you see the first season at ebay again, Deb, please buy it for me, because I would like to give it to my fil, who is a real Anglophile. He watched the royal wedding dvd I bought for him 3 times (!). I also gave him the biography of the queen mother that came out a few years ago, and he loved it (over a thousand pages), as well as The King's Speech, even though he seldom goes to the movies.

Sorry, Joan, that you are working so hard. I hope you love what you do.

Good Morning Ladies,

Had a great weekend, I rode 42 miles with hills on Saturday and 42 miles on Sunday. Sunday was supposed to be a recovery ride, but it turned into a regular ride and I was fine. I did not work out on Monday and just relaxed and re-organized my shoes and some of my clothes. Now I can walk into my closet again ;)

I will be doing a boot camp class and spinning tonight.

Deb, I’m glad that your baby is doing fine.

Joan, take a break and don’t get burned out.

Hi to Garance and Valerie!

Josie

New dishwasher being installed in 2 hours. whoopee!.

Josie, you are tough... I could NOT ride 42 miles two days in a row, my sit bones would disintegrate.

Linda, I bought sprouts & kale this morning so will have that salad tonight or tomorrow. did you use tuscan kale or one of the curlier varieties and would it make a difference?

Joan, hope you survive tax season.

Good morning,

A terrible night's sleep again, 2 in a row now. I'm exhausted and just can't wait until the end of today.

Valerie, I saw that article in the newsletter, and all I can say is "ouch!!". Bruises? there? It seems like you are getting your indoor bike "legs" or whatever body part, LOL. We try to keep with the exact same program for Keegan, not sure why the PH sometimes goes as low as 5, and other times, it is higher, where we want it to be. Just have to keep it at the good number so that he does not form crystals, that can turn to stones.

Garance, watched the first episode of Downton last night. Wow, liked it a lot. There was not a lot of "back story" to explain what was happening, or who was who, so I found this link and it explained a lot. It also said that the first episode is 90 minutes, but it was only an hour on the DVD, probably because no commericals. Enchanted Serenity of Period Films: MEET THE CHARACTERS OF DOWNTON ABBEY. I will find another Season 1 set on Ebay and let you know what it costs before I purchase. It looks like they are going for anywhere between $21 and up. Lots of Season 2 listed now, not many Season 1's. I have it on a permenant search so when any come up, I get an e-mail.

Joan, come up once in a while from under those tax returns and let us know you are alive. How are your eyes doing?

Josie, I had to LOL when you said you had to re-organize your shoes, but I know what you mean. I have big Rubbermaid containers of shoes that for some reason, I can't toss. I guess they are "organized" though. :).

Take care,

Deb, different styles of bike seats with cutouts and padded shorts to help deal with "the sit bone problem". road biking( for us) is usually a 2-4 hours, so time alone will cause saddle soreness. If you ride regularly you toughen up. take it easy at the beginning of the season. I would not get sore on a spin bike even without padding but we ride all year.

seat width matters. wide seats can be WAY unpleasant contrary to what you might think. narrower and firmer work better. this is based on anatomy and the way you sit on a bike. I like my seat fairly high so I spread weight between handlebars and seat. siting completely upright is worst for me.
MY legs are strong so I didn't get any sore muscles from spin. I am getting a blister on one toe so will put some inserts in my shoes. Adapt adapt!

Did 35 on the treadmill waiting for the DW guy to show up. I can't hear the doorbell from the basemen. that went smoothly, will run it today.

This morning I did High Reps (65 min.). I just can't do those triceps dips after all the other work on triceps. I just sit there staring at Cathe, in total awe. I also cheat a bit on the abs, especially those fast legs in and out toward the end. Otherwise, I like this workout--much less boring than her earlier high reps and Jari Love.

Thanks Deb for buying Downton Abbey, season 1 for me. Since this was a PBS series, there were no commercials, but I can't remember how long the first episode was. Wishing you some great zzzzz tonight.

Valerie, I don't think our local Stop and Shop would even know what Tuscan kale is. I just used the curly stuff, because lots of the reviews said they had substituted for the Tuscan kale.

Wow, Josie, I cannot believe the mileage you do! That's a lot of hours on a bike. I hope it's fun, because I don't think I could do that.

Papers to grade. Ugh!

Good morning,

Better night last night, John got up with Kylee at 3:40 and that is the first time I woke up. I went back to sleep until 5:00, then got up. I would like an isolation room.

Garance, I don't remember much about High Reps, didn't do it enough times I guess. Getting a new DVD player today so I can watch Downton upstairs in the den instead of in the basement. Too cold down there and not comfortable in my workout area. Sometimes I wish they had subtitles. Especially the staff people.

Valerie, I will probably be looking at an outside bike in the spring, since I know John will want to have someone to ride with so I will be asking lots of questions about equipment etc. It helps to ask a woman about what works and what doesn't. I didn't see one woman at the bike store when I went to get a gift card for John for Valentines day.

Two more days until the weekend,

Deb, no women at the bike shop when I went either. BUT lots of women on the trail where we ride. all kinds of bikes and positions, test ride, test ride. most shops will have bikes you can "test ride" in the parking lot so you have some idea, and so they can get the seat height and distance to handlebars correct. go to the shop wearing clothing you can ride in. Lots of gears make it easier to ride different terrain. you get used to them quickly, and they work way better than they did 20 years ago. they automatically show bikes with women's anatomically correct bike seats and will try to steer you toward the right kind of bike for the type of riding you want to do.

Got new DW going ... different than my old one. directions were confusing but got things set up and running. furniture came too. we moved out the old and the new looks and fits nicely. we made good choices. 2 chairs & a sofa. Its a sleeper sofa, a little more $$ than the "standard style sleeper" but it's very comfy and looks nice besides. the entry level sleepers are AWFUL, worse than the bare floor. we looked at several places before finding this one and I'm glad we did. I would not be embarrassed to put guests on this one and would happily sleep on it myself.

Did S&G yesterday, I've gotten the burpees down pretty well and am even doing the ones with the pushups and disk sliding. I dont' care for the traveling pushups and sub reg ones for those.

Last edited:

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.).

Deb, the nice thing about High Reps is that she spreads out the leg work rather than doing it all at once. Glad you managed to get some sleep. I read in the NYTimes yesterday that insomnia as we get older might be related to aging eyes--something about our pupils getting smaller and our irises getting yellow. One of the top 5 reads at the Times was about HIIT workouts and how effective they are for our hearts, plus how time efficient. I do believe since doing these new workouts that my cardiovascular endurance has improved.

Have fun with all of your new stuff, Valerie. Our big problem with the furniture in our "great room" is fading from the sun, which is very bright and the room is almost all windows, which is beautiful, but clearly has an impact on the reds I like in the chairs. Sigh.

Two classes today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.