Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/8

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

I thought I posted yesterday, but apparently did not. I got a UTI late Friday afternoon, (of course it happens when my GP and OB/GYN are closed for the weekend, don't they always come around at the most inconvenient times? :rolleyes:). At least my OBGyn is a great guy, and his answering service as well. She tracked him down in his car, and he called me within minutes, called in a script etc. It was still an awful night, since it took about 4 hours for the stuff to start to work. Now it is still there, and I think I need to call him again and see if there is another med he can give me. I usually have to have a sample tested to see what it is, so the right med can be given, but was in a bad place Friday and he gave me what he thought would work.

Josie, sorry to hear about your G'kds and the learning/school issues. What does your son say about it?

Garance, I sure hope they do get some major jail time for that girl...I still can't believe how she boasted about not getting a DWI ticket when she was stopped earlier.. am I remembering this right?

Lori, I looked at the clips from those DVD's and even the modifiers look a little too frantic for me! :confused:

Judy, I think you made the right decision in taking a break for a couple of days. Your body is probably telling you that you need it. You will come back even stronger!

Valerie, it's really not the dogs lately, ( I know it is usually them! )..but me for some reason. After 3-4 hours, I wake up and can't get back to sleep. I love hummingbirds too. I wish we could get them here. We tried hanging a feeder one year but nothing ever happened.

Lots of HouseMax for me. I didn't do much yesterday, and still do not feel like doing much today, have to pick and choose from my "list" LOL..

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday was Great Glutes. This one really gets you deep and I think it is perfect for a leg day. I add on 2lb ankle weights for the floor work and it is still hard as the first time I did it. Feeling it today!

Oh Deb... So sorry to hear this. Really hoping you get the right meds and start feeling relief soon. I have not done the New Breathless yet. I may try it out today before the Pats game.

No movie yesterday was just so busy and ran out of time. Now next weekend the desolation of smaug is released. This may trump catching fire.

Have a great day all!!!

Did Cardio supersets again late yesterday. like that one and it's got enough push ups and planks to count for upper body work somewhat.

Deb, we have a pretty good supply of hummers here. they migrate up the coast in spring and then up into the mountains for the wildflower display. I have 3-6 feeders going in the summer. didn't have this many when I started, but I've been doing it at this house for 20+ years and you build a population over the years. I know other neighbors do too, so build a reliable population by community efforts. we have a lot of plants they like too, and a huge number of trees. I know they nest here. they are quite territorial so multiple feeders keeps everyone happier and allows for a bigger population. we also have a colony of Vaux swifts that nest in our chimney. they are very cool little birds.

Try drinking cranberry juice. it helps with UTI's . mostly to prevent them. always on the weekend, isn't it? antibiotics don't work as well on UTI's as they used to because of bacteria building resistance. Hope it's kicking in by now.

Our cold snap will be ending monday/tues with warm wet weather moving in on top of the cold dry air. it could be a huge mess... until the transition is complete. potential for freezing rain, ice, a little snow generally messy stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did RK (55:16) with 1 lb. gloves.

Deb, ooh, that's uncomfortable! Hope you are feeling better soon. No, Darrien Hess never said anything about a DWI. She was speeding when she was originally stopped and the policeman discovered she didn't have a driver's license. On her facebook page she had several posts (now erased) about how much she liked driving fast with her boyfriend and a lot of photos in scanty outfits (also erased).

Lori, I looked on Collage too at a couple of her workouts--both "breathless" (?). I agree with Deb--too frantic for me. I also didn't like her voice. I'm looking forward to the Desolation of Smaug, though, and it can be totally frantic (hah!).

Josie, I wish I had some good advice for you. Your dil has primary custody--i.e., your son is divorced? Hope I have that right. Maybe he should/could intervene? By age 6, I agree, there should be some reading skills.

Valerie, I think we just have the ruby-throated hummingbird here in the Northeast, or at least that's the one I always see around my flowers, especially the bee balm. Lots of them, too. I've never put out a feeder.

Hi to Judy!

Hi Everyone,

Deb-I'm sorry about the UTI, hope you feel better. I'll second that cranberry juice helps prevent them. If you don't like cranberry juice, health food stores sell cranberry capsules that you can take.

I felt pretty good today, after doing pretty much nothing Friday and Saturday. I even slept better last night, I have no idea why. This morning I decided to start back with an upper body workout. I did Pyramid Upper Body. I had to pause the dvd a few times, she was going so fast! I love the workout and am so glad I got this one. I might try Lower Body tomorrow. Will probably do a short spinerval too, and see how it feels. Nothing too dramatic this week, as I am very determined not to injure myself. The last thing I need to is to not be able to workout at all. It seems like 1-2 rest days a week is probably a good plan from now on.

I hope your weather gets better next week Valerie. We are getting a little snow tonight, but it doesn't look like it will amount to much.

Hi to Lori, Josie, & Lynda

Judy

037.gif

I called my doctor and he said he usually gives it 48 hours to work, if it doesn't get any better, go to Immediate Care or ER. I went to Immediate Care yesterday afternoon, and they gave me a different anti-biotic. It is still not gone and I am getting really impatient with this. This is the first time that meds have not taken away the symptoms within taking one or two pills. I have to take ibuprofen to reduce the pressure and pain...

ok, enough whining from me.

Lori, that is one of the workouts I haven't tried yet, 2 # ankle weights? WOW!

Valerie, hope the weather cooperates and you are able to get back to what you enjoy! Maybe I should plant bee Balm like Lynda and it will attract some hummingbirds.

Garance, right....she was speeding and did not get arrested, or issued a summons....then she was bragging about it on FB...that is so awful. Does the bee balm also attract bees?

Judy, with the number of workouts you do in a day, 2 days off a week would be a good thing! :) We got a little snow too, nothing to worry about. I just hope the streets aren't icy.

Hi to Josie,

Stay warm!

In my experience hummers like flowers in general but each kind of hummer may have favorites. I've never had luck with bee balm, it always gets powdery mildew. here they seem to love fuchsias and red colored tubular flowers but I see them on many plants. I always plant hanging baskets on my deck and they're easy to watch that way.

Ruby throats are east of the Mississippi so they may have different likes and dislikes. they are consistent, showing up every year plus or minus a few days. I put out a feeder when I know to expect them. sometimes in peak season I can go thru a quart of nectar in a day..... make your own, don't buy the weird red powder. some of it ends up in drips and splashes.... I get quite a few birds, 2 different varieties. they chase each other off the feeder. sometimes I'll have 4-5 sitting peacefully feeding. other times one gets control of a feeder and won't let anyone else close. I've had wonderful experiences with them.. such fun to watch.

Deb, hope the new antibiotic helps. it's so alarming that things that used to be wiped out in one or two pills now take several meds over multiple days to get under control. it's scary because it's happening so quickly. cranberry juice is believed to prevent bacteria from clinging to the inside wall of the bladder and that's how it works. My mother has had chronic UTI's every since a hysterectomy (long long ago) so she has gone thru many gallons of cranberry juice. it also helps because it's liquid. because UTI's are painful, people tend to not drink enough fluids because they don't want to experience the pain and burning. Drink lots.

we did a low level hike yesterday. a waterfront county park that turned out way nicer than expected. took us about 2 hours, lots of up and down and a respectable workout.

Hi Ladies,

I'm back home now and ready to get back on track with my workout and eating clean. I will be taking a spinning class later on today. My DdOffered to take myDb home to Palm Springs for me to give me a break :)

My DS lives in Dan Diego and does not have much say in the kids education. I'm disappointed in him too :(. He only sees them when I have them over my house and he has distanced himself quite a bit.

Deb, I agree with Valerie about the cranberry juice. I drink it diluted in my water through out m the day.

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did Lean Legs and Abs (48:33). The floorwork with the pink band really is surprisingly ouchy. I agree with Lori about Great Glutes. It really gets my hips and I do NOT use ankle weights, which would up the pain.

Deb, I have never had a UTI, but I have heard that cranberry juice is really effective. Bee Balm attracts hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies. Like Valerie, hummingbirds also love my hanging plants.

Josie, that's too bad about your son not being involved with his children. I take it, then, that your dil has sole custody?

Judy, I always take off one day a week, and I don't do the multiple workouts you have described. I remember doing the Intensity series (included the Pyramids) as a whole for about 6 months straight. I think it was my favorite of all Cathe's series.

A book party this afternoon for one of my friends who just published her first book. Should be fun.

Hi to Valerie and Lori!

Good afternoon ladies....

No workout this morning. I actually slept well for a Sunday but wanted to rest my legs. After doing Great Glutes on Saturday I did Low Max premix 45 minutes on Sunday. Plus walked Chester 3 miles on both Saturday and Sunday - the legs really needed a break!

Deb..I have had a UTI but years ago when I was in my late 20's and only once. I remember it was very painful so I feel for you. I have some friends that get them frequently. Hope this is not the case for you.

Garance...funny with the ankle weights. I have 5# ones but do not dare use them for GG.

Valerie...I love hummingbirds. Every once in a while we will have one that visits for a little bit. Only early in the morning. When we sit out in the screened in patio we will watch him visit. He is quite beautiful to watch. Sounds like a nice hike yesterday. Always great when it is better than anticipated!

Jose...so frustrating. How is your relationship with your DIL?

Judy... I have been trying to take a rest day once a week. It is hard for me to do but I am getting better.

Have a great night!

Hi Everyone,

I did my Spinerval early this morning, and I did Pyramid Lower Body late in the afternoon so I had some rest in between. I really like the Pyramid dvd. It will take me a few times of doing it to be able to add/remove weights faster and not have to pause the dvd so much.

Deb-I hope you are feeling better. I haven't had a UTI but I'm sure it's very unpleasant.

Garance-I think the intensity series is going to be one of my favorites too. I love all of the gym styles workouts. I might have to look at the boot camp dvd too.

Lori-It's hard for me to get used to taking rest days too. In the past I have never really scheduled them. I would tend to train every day and rely on some disaster to strike (it usually did) to cause me to have to take a break. I have periods in my training logs from the mid 2000's where I went up to 90 days with out a break. I have not been any where near that extreme recently, but I do have a hard time with the concept of a planned rest day.

Hi to Josie & Valerie,

Judy

I don't take many 'rest' days but I rotate in enough easy days that I'm not troubled with overuse injuries. the last two days we did easy hikes. I'd call them very easy. we are walking uphill and downhill outside, for 1-2 hours. not as hard as a "true" workout, but not sitting in front of the fire with my feet up either. I think a rest day ( again, my definition) is just different from the usual workouts, not necessarily all day in a lounge chair.

Deb, when I was little I had constant UTI's. it was terrible. I was quite sick when I was maybe 5-8 years old. I was in the hospital for it once. girls have such short urethras that it's easy to get bladder infections. when I got a little older they stopped and I've been fine since. back then in the '50's antibiotics worked almost instantly. not so effective any more.

Josie, I hope you can inspire those kiddos to work harder. kids have enough challenges these days without those from falling behind in school.

Valerie-I agree about having easier days, that aren't complete rest but they allow you to recover from the harder days. Before I started doing Spinervals, I would do long rides at a pretty easy pace, watching a movie or something and that would be like a recovery workout. Or in the summer, I would go for long walks, still get lots of miles in, but not be hurting when I was finished. Last summer was a lot harder for me to find the time to go for long walks, we were spending so much time at FILs.

Good morning,

A terrible night, no sleep, and now I am trying to get myself in gear to get ready for work.

Valerie, love that you have all those hummers that keep coming to your yard. That must be something to see. Thanks for the info on anti-biotics and UTI's. I believe what you said is true. I think we are an era of people that have taken too many, so now they are not effective any longer.

Josie, any way you can talk your DIL or DS into some type of tutoring for the G'kds?

Garance, how was the book party? what type of book did she publish?

Lori, with you and Judy's number of workouts done in a week, you should be taking 2 or 3 rest days!

Judy, how are the kitties doing?

Work, then home to collapse.

Take care,

Good Morning,

Deb-I'm so sorry you didn't get any sleep :( I hope you are able to get some good rest tonight.

The kittens are growing up fast! I weighed them last week and Echo was 5.8 lbs, Chino was 5.4 lbs. They are both turning into lap kitties. If one of them jumps in my lap, the other one will too. It's really cute. I hope they don't grow out of that.

It's freezing here today, with wind chills below zero.

I'll check back in later.

Judy

Attachments

• 12813.jpg
    12813.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 12713.jpg
    12713.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 6
oh judy they are just adorable! don't kitties always find a way to look as cute as possible....

Deb, why no sleep again? maybe you should talk to your primary care doc about a short course of meds to break the pattern.... you probably worry about not being able to sleep, and the worry itself becomes the reason you aren't sleeping. ( just guessing here, so please excuse me if I'm reading too much into this) maybe a short course of some meds could break the pattern so you don't go to bed expecting not to sleep.

I decided to do a second workout yesterday, and did Slide & Glide. not that hard but in the floor work I strained my neck doing the disk sliding moves. I can hardly move my head today, so skipped yoga. I remember noticing the strain when I did it, nothing fast but definitely a strain. not sure what I'll do today, but something that leaves my neck area alone. tipping my head back to drink is REALLY unpleasant.

this is the day our sub freezing weather will break into a warmer wetter pattern. the transition might be a mess but it hasn't happened yet. likely during the morning.

Hi Ladies,

I will be taking a weight training class tonight. I believe in taking rest days and usually take Friday and Monday off. This has helped me from getting injured. The weather here is also cold, it is 41 right now and it is 8:12 AM.

Regarding my grandkids, my DIL and DS share custody, but because of the distance he does not see them very often and does not participate in their education. He just calls them once in a while which I think is ridiculous. I asked the teacher about tutoring, but because they take the bus on the days that she works they are not able to stay after school. It is just a mess and they are suffering for it.

Judy the kitties are adorable.

Deb, I hope the meds start to work.

Valerie, we have hummingbirds that have a nest on my neighbors bushes. They are adorable.

Lori, I have a good relationship with my DIL, but she will do what she wants to do and is a bit stubborn.

Hi to Garance!

Josie

This morning I did Party Rockin' Step #1 (53:46). Fun!

Deb, I don't know how you survive with no sleep. I would probably just nod off during the day or get a bad case of the yawns. Are you at least feeling better?? The book party was fun. End-of-the-semester crowd looking for a little levity to cancel out the gloom of grading (not my problem anymore, tra la!). The book is scholarly and deals with Asian-American poets. She's a good friend and we often have lunch or go to Smith to browse in the Plath archive there. Doc Martin season 6 is supposed to be delivered today and I am looking forward to some binge watching.

Judy, what sweet kitties! I really cannot do Boot Camp and IMax 2 anymore because it's too much impact, but I can still do Cardio and Weights and the Pyramids, although I have not done them in a long time.

Town meeting tonight. I hope it is brief.

Valerie-thanks! I couldn't believe it when I saw him in the case of water. They are always into something and do such cute things.
Sorry about your neck :( I'm not very good at gliding, I've tried it a few times and just feel kind of awkward, like I'm going to hurt myself if I move to fast.

Josie-the weight class sounds like fun!

Lynda-I don't think I could do Imax2 at all. I know I would hurt myself if I tried it.

I'm still trying to follow the Spinerval Challenge as close as I can, knowing that I probably won't be doing the 3-4 hour rides that are coming in the next couple of weeks. Today I did 43.0-"Aerobic Engine Builder". I felt pretty good afterwards, but I think I will take a rest or easy day tomorrow to play it safe.

TrainingPeaks | Public Activity Viewer

Hi to Lori & Deb,

Judy

Where's everyone this morning? Deb, hope you got some sleep. Hope you all weren't buried in snow and ice.

I hurt my neck doing the floor exercise part of S&G, where you lie on your back and push the disks with your fingers. I felt myself jerk into a strange position and wow, did it get sore and stiff all along the back of my head/neck area. I totally took off yesterday as I could barely move my head and it hurt! could not sleep that night because it hurt so much. but got some decent sleep last night, and it's a lot better this morning. not perfect but way improved. I skipped yoga on Tuesday since I could barely move my head.

Take care everyone and check in when you can.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.