Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/30

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Today I did disc #1 from X-train, Chest, Back & shoulders. I like this one a lot! Some new weight moves, very creative. I have to say I had to back down to the green tubing ( felt like a wimp) because the blue was definitely too hard for me. A great workout overall.

Valerie, Good job on Afterburn, that is supposedly the hardest one of that series. In this new one I did today, she uses the stability ball only in this one, no bench, or step, no bar, just DB's. I hope all works out with your MIL and she sticks with the treatments.

Garance, I am kind of stumped as to how to set up a rotation with the new workouts...I know I will not be able to get 6 workouts in a week. I may just do them in the order they appear, on the days I can work out and not worry about the time it takes. There doesn't seem to be a way to break them down into a 4 day a week rotation. :confused: .yes Downton Abbey begins on January 6th. I think if I add an hour to the published time, that should cover any fund raising breaks in the timing. :rolleyes:

Lori, did you get your DVD's from your office yet? I guess if they didn't come yesterday, you will get them tomorrow.

Off to do some much needed HouseMax around here...too many hours working and the place needs some help!

Take care,

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did KCM's Plateau Busters, both workouts (45 min.).

Still have not started previewing my Xtrain. I will look at the cardio ones this afternoon and choose one for tomorrow. I did look at all of the options for rotations, but a lot of them look really long. I like workouts that are under 60 min. or maybe one day a week, like with Turbo Barre or Rockin' Models one long workout per week, but if you look at the undulating workout, the leg workouts are over 80 min. long for the first two weeks, I guess because they include rear delts. I'm just not sure what to do. Sigh! I'm just as confused as you about a rotation, Deb. I thought maybe there would be a Xtrain Express option like that earlier series, but the one that does cardio and weights each day has similar issues on length of some of the workouts for me.

Valerie, I will take a look at that story about the avalanche after I know my younger son is back from a week of skiing at Sugar Bush. I hope Puss is feeling better. I think Max 'worried' his incision, too, but he was young when he was neutered so didn't fuss at all about the cone.

Out to dinner tonight.

Deb.. I have not gone in yet!!! The post office knows our office is closed on Saturdays so they do not deliver. I am planning on driving in tomorrow to grab it. Can't believe I am willing to do this as I am about an hour from work. But it is driving me nuts seeing all the comments and reviews about the workouts. I just need to bite the bullet and grab them. This way I have Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday to check them out. There is a Trader Joes by my office so I will pop in and do some shopping since I am out that way. Will need to make my shopping quick though....need as much Cathe time as possible!

Sorry hit send too soon.... I know what you mean garance...I really need a workout to be about 60 minutes. During the week I really can't do much longer. I work out in the morning and if it it is more than 60 minutes then I will need to get up earlier and that is not going to happen! Weekends no problem for longer workouts.

Good morning,

Going in at 7:00 or earlier today, with the hopes of getting out early. Now a cold is trying to take over, and I am so tired. The plan was to do Cardio leg Blast this morning, but with hardly any sleep, that wasn't happening.

Garance, I am going to loosely follow the 90 day undulating rotation, and if there are ones that use multiple pre-mixes that make it too long, I will just do the regular workout, or a timesaver version if there is one. I like workouts to be no more than 45-50 minutes long. That is why KCM was so appealing.

Hi to Josie, Valerie, and the MIA Joan...( I think she went away for New Year's)...

Have a great evening and good holiday tomorrow!

Lori, hope you are able to get the DVD's on your trip today.

Lynda, the article ran as a 6 day series in the seattle times. it's very interesting and well written even though I have the advantage of being familiar with all the places and have driven the road a thousand times, and seen the avalanches, and where they come down to the hwy. still, I think you'll enjoy it. DH gets a ski magazine that routinely shows people skiing terrain like this. equipment has improved to the point where a lot of people aren't taking the risk seriously enough.

Puss is doing fine but not happy. one problem with cats is very rough tongues. without the collar he'd certainly be licking and new tissue needs to form. he has about a week yet with the collar, then pull the staples ( can't imagine how that's going to get done) and decide if he's healed enough.

we went to the mts yesterday planning on a ski or snowshoe. the snow was horrendous, absolutely horrid. a 3 inch crust on top of icy, gritty nastiness. no way would we ski. we snowshoed a mile or two and turned back. it was a breakable crust, sometimes crunching thru but not consistently. just ugly. incredibly loud to walk on. but a lovely day, sunny and everything looked nice until you put a foot on it. came home early and chopped wood.

today we may try a lower walk/hike or maybe a ride. I haven't had time to look at x-train yet. If it's not raining we'll be doing something outside.
I like workouts about an hour long. 45 on up. 30 is too short unless I'm crunched for time so I still like shorter options.

Happy new year to everyone.

Deb, hope you can get some rest and that you're not getting a headcold.

Hi Deb, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Low Impact HiiT+Core 1 (49 min.). I really, really enjoyed this workout, and the premixes are terrific. I will probably do this one every week--so much variety of moves and it just flies by.

So my plan this week is to try Cardio Leg Blast tomorrow with a lot of modifications for impact. Wednesday I will do Supercuts. Thursday is Chest, Back, Shoulders, and Friday Hard Strikes.

Deb, grab some cold-eez quick and stop that cold from taking over! Now they even have a spray if you hate sucking on all that zinc. So, you will do undulating, but just progress through the workouts on 4x per week?

Valerie, we had one good day of snowshoeing, and then a crust developed on top and it was just too crunchy. I will look at that avalanche piece once I know ds is home safely. A couple years ago he broke his leg skiing and so I have a tendency to worry about him.

Lori, maybe we can do some kind of rotation together if you work out 6x per week like I do. I'm still exploring these dvds, and I hope some good samaritan does a listing of all the premixes as someone did on the LIS. There looks like so many possibilities with this series because of the profusion of premixes.

Just an addendum, now that stupid me started reading her book. All of the premixes are listed for us. Wonderful!

Yeah I have them! When I walked into my office today my mailroom person came running over with the package saying I know you have been waiting for these!!!! Like I said previously they all know I have Cathe issues!!!!

I haven't had time to review any yet but did briefly look over the user's guide and I am loving everything!!!! I am going to do a few of the workouts to try out then start a rotation on Monday. I would love to do a rotation with you garance. If Monday is not convenient to start I am open to any date. Then we need to decide which rotation to do. Anyone else want to jump in? This will be fun.

Yesterday I did STS plyo legs and then walked chester 3 miles. There are days I certainly do not feel like the walk but I know how much he enjoys it. He is a large dog and needs his exercise. I listen to audio books so the time flies!

Today was 4ds kickbox then 30 min run on treadmill. Poor chester....no walk today as I was selfish and drove to pick up my xtrain!!! I will make it up to him tomorrow!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!

Happy New Year!

I worked yesterday from about 6:30 to 3:30, finally finished what we were doing. I feel like I was run over by a truck.

I got home yesterday, hit the couch, then took Nyquil at 7:30, and went to bed. I didn't even eat dinner. DH bought steaks and shrimp to grill, but I couldn't even hold my head up to eat. I feel a little better now. We are supposed to go to my brother's for dinner, I may beg off.

Garance, Lori, Not sure yet what rotation to do with the new DVD's. I was looking at the 90 day undulating one, but not sure yet. Whichever I do, I will only be doing 4 or 5 workouts week.

Wishing all a safe, healthy 2013!

Hi Deb, Valerie, and Lori--

Happy New Year!

This morning I did Cardio Leg Blast (56 min.). Lower step and modifications for impact and slightly lower weights. I like this one, too, because I can modify it. Suggestion: one deadlift move calls for your toes to be elevated. If you have a two by four, add it to the equipment. I had one I used ages ago for a Firm workout.

Lori, I would be willing to do any of the rotations, although I might alter them in terms of time if it seems like too much--do a premix that's shorter. I also work out Sunday through Friday and take Saturdays off to sleep in and houseclean, so I would start on Sunday, Jan. 6.

Deb, you need a holiday! Any chance you can take a few days off now to recover?

I feel like the holidays throw me off--I forget which day of the week it is. Max clearly hates having his routine thrown off. We have been going out so often that he seems depressed, missing dinner time splayed out while we dine.

I have taken some time off, too, from writing, and feel like I need to get back into it.

I am loving xtrain so far. Been watching the workouts and today I did Super Cuts with 100 rep hip thrusts. Oh boy I know I am going to feel it tomorrow! I did most of the workout without any modifications. Just a little slower than the group at times. The sit ups then push ups were crazy for me and I am sure I looked quite comical. I was able to get 6 done to their 8 and I felt pretty darn good about that too!

Thinking about the 90 day undulating program. I too may have to make adjustments at times due to my busy schedule. Life happens! I am fine to start on Sunday too. Very excited to be working out with you ladies!

Good morning,

Feeling better today, I can usually kick these colds quickly, hope that is what happens with this one.

Garance, I am thinking of taking a couple of days off, maybe next Thursday & Friday and making it a 4 day weekend. We'll see. As for a rotation, I was looking at the 30 day Undulating rotation with Ride, but just skipping the Ride day which gets me to 5 days a week, and for those days ( there are only a couple) that have an 80 minute workout time, doing a shorter pre-mix of the same workout like you mentioned.

Lori, I saw those sit up/push up things in the clip and thought, "no way will I be able to do those that fast"...what are your work hours? do you start later in the morning? The ideal day for me would be 10-2 LOL.

Hi to Valerie, Josie, and Joan...

Take care,

Did a serious walk yesterday. DH & I went to local park and did about 4 miles, some uphill/downhill, fast. he was on call so couldn't go anywhere. he can walk faster than I can so it was quite a decent workout. forest trails, lots of roots, some mud, close to water. kind of a fast, low elevation hike. I set a timer but forgot to turn it off but somewhere around 1 hr 15. very pretty day, some fog but mostly clear and crisp.

I've only managed to look at the booklet a little so far. tomorrow my schedule goes back to normal with yoga early and then I should have a chance to look at the disks. I'm not thrilled with an 80 min workouts though and will probably modify to shorter time. I need to look but will likely start with upper body weight.

both situp/pushups and hip thrusts sound intimidating. we'll see!.

Happy New Year Ladies,

Had a wonderful time visiting my family and spending time with the grand kids, they did not want to go home.

I’m back at work today, but that is ok. The rest of the week should be quiet because most of the people are out until the 7th.

I did not get to workout much during the holidays, but I’m ready to start up again. I would love to start a rotation with you ladies on the 6th. I will be signing up for a 100 mile ride in the beginning of March and would love to get in shape for that. I always need a goal to keep me motivated.

Deb, hope that you are able to get some rest and get rid of the cold soon.

Hi to Valerie, Joan and Garance!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Super Cuts (46 min.).

Lori, I haven't even looked at the Hip Thrusts. Don't feel bad about those sit ups and pushups at the end. No way I could keep up with them, so I just did it at as fast a pace as possible. So--we start the undulating rotation on Sunday? I think I will do either premix 6 or 7 on legs for that 80 minute workout on Friday. That's just too long for me, and I like barre work. Is it as cold where you are as it is here? Brrr--supposed to go down to 0 tonight into tomorrow.

Welcome back, Josie! Did you get XTrain? Sounds like you had a very restful holiday. So did I--although I'm retired so feel pretty restful all the time.

Valerie, there are so many premixes on this series you will be able to tailor the length of the workout to suit your own goals. Sounds like a challenging walk.

Deb, glad to hear you are able to take a few days off next week. You need it.

Tomorrow is ch, ba, sh for me.

Good morning,

Up early, and in again at 7:00. I can't wait until this week is over. At least I got to sleep until 4:00..still have a bit of the cold, but it's getting better.

Valerie, like Garance said, there are shorter versions of all the workouts, those 80 minute days are where she combines parts of multiple workouts, you can do the regular workout instead of what she lists. That's what I plan on doing. I think I

Josie, Welcome back, so nice that you had fun with the gkd's..!

Garance, have not yet confirmed the days off...hopefully it will be quiet and I can arrange it.

Off for more coffee...so I can wake up..

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, and Lori--

This morning I did Chest, Back, and Shoulders (51 min.). I think I already have a bit of soreness in my chest. A lot of pushups on this one.

Gosh, it's really cold here today, but sunny and very still, which helps.

Still working on doing inventory, Deb? One of my sisters and her husband owned a small variety store and they would hire me at the beginning of the year to count things and put stamp price tags on things (this was when I was in my teens and wanted to earn a little extra cash). Their dog, a springer spaniel, would follow me around begging for those stamps, which he loved to eat! Hilarious.

Headed over to the college's rare book library to listen to Edith Sitwell's recording of Facade. It's only on a phonograph record--not exactly a hit ready to be transferred to a CD. It's a bunch of really weird poems with background music which may have influenced Plath.

Brrrrrr.....very cold here! My car said -1 degrees this morning. Yikes!!!!

Could not get up to work out today for the life of me. When I go home I think I may do the low impact Hiit.

Deb...I get up at about 4:40am have a quick cup of coffee then working out by 5:00 ish. I am useless in the morning without coffee. I am not one of those people that can roll out of bed and be working out immediately. I wish I could but I need to wake up a bit first. I start work at 8:30 and have an hour commute. I usually finish my workout by 6:15....shower, get ready then leave the house by 7:20. I love working out early so when I leave work and drive that hour home I can relax when I arrive.

Garance...yes! Let's start Sunday. The next couple of days I will really look at the rotation and make adjustments too. No way can I do 80 mins in the morning!

Hi Ladies,

I did not buy X-train, but will be joining you on Sunday for a rotation and plan on working out 6 days per week.

I will be buying my spinning bike this time. The last time I received money to buy it I used the money on something else. I don’t even remember what it was 

My DH and I are going out tonight, so now workout for me today.

Have a nice evening!

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.