Pentagenarians & Beyond! W/B 12/14

fox2star

Cathlete
Good Morning!

Today I did the 4DS Chest, shoulders, and triceps pre-mix. I was going back and forth between trying to use the 1RM as a weight workout, and getting overwhelmed about which excercises to do etc. I printed out the first 3 workout cards, then someone over on the STS forum had a list of all the ones that you have to test for in order, so I copied those on to a Word document and starred at it for a bit..then decided to just do something! ***shakes head wearily**.. I need to get my picture calendars for my Dad and DH's Mom done today if it's the last thing I do! Must have the one for his Mom send there or it will not get there by Christmas.

We went to a play yesterday, which was kind of cute. The concept was that we were the audience of a live broadcast of "It's a Wonderful Life" in 1946. It was fun. The stage was the studio, with the actors playing different parts, and one guy on the side doing all the sounds plus lighting up the sign when we were supposed to applaud.

Garance, glad your sweater gift got there. If it was Canada Post you are very lucky that you got it before Christmas!

Joan, wow that drink sounds delicious! Yep, if you drink one of those you will certainly get the 3 pounds back!:D...LOL..

Linny, I hope you did not lose power! Check in and let us know.

Josie, I hope you are having a good time with DD!

Have a great day!

Deb

Hi Deb, Linny, Josie, and Joan--

This morning I did Kelly C-M's Cardio Sculpt Fit (70 min.).

We did the Christmas walk last night. I also went over there earlier to see the rein-dog parade. You'd get a kick out of this, Deb. A whole parade--at least 60--of dogs with reindeer antlers and other costume paraphernalia marching along on our main street. Some of the dogs seem really proud and excited; others just look embarrassed. It's a hoot. We went out for Thai food last night and decided not to go to DH's customer's party. Just not in the mood, since we went out to a big party on Friday night. Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life" was on and I watched it while wrapping some Christmas gifts, so I guess I was in synch with you Deb. DH was watching a video he taped of the Celtics.

I now have my final paper to read this afternoon. Then I'm going home and baking some of those iced pumpkin cookies (Thanks, Linny!), and eating leftovers, because DH is in Saratoga at a big soccer banquet for h.s. players in the area. He is getting some kind of award, and I almost went with him, but he convinced me that I did not want to sit through the whole afternoon, and reminded me 1) of how many dull sports banquets I went to for my sons; and 2) how bad the food is. So I will just have to revel in my solitude.

Linny--hope you have power!

Joan--that drink sounds, if anything, worse than the Long Island Tea (Is it possible?!). I guess one is okay.

GO READ FINAL PAPER!

Good morning,
garance - Did you go read final paper? I hope you get a little break before you start working again. Yes I only had one drink.
Deb- play sounds fun. At least my cookie exchange almost got me into Christmas spirit until the one toy I was going to get Elliot (it was on sale at Target ) was out of stock.
Saturday's party turned out ok. The food was terrible so I had a mixed green salad and two bites of steak. Too bad the company paid almost $100 per person.
It dropped 30 degrees tonight. What started as rain at 7:00pm turned to freezing rain now.
Saturday wo was 2.25mi treadmill. I've got to get back to weights. Hoping school is canceled so I don't have Elliot . I have a lot to do before my party Saturday.
Hi Josie and Linny
Joan

It's Monday!

Good Morning!

Today I did a 35 minute I-Tread. I was up at 4:12, barely! If it wasn't for having to take my Fosamax today, I would have stayed in bed. Keegan was rustling around so that too made me get up.

It's 55 degrees here and raining...strange for December, that's for sure.

Garance, that Christmas walk sounds like fun! I wish they would do something like that around here. Hope you liked your "alone" time. Sometimes we just need that kind of thing.

Joan, funny you are getting freezing rain and we are getting spring weather! weird. Are you done with your 1RM testing? Someone on another thread said that STS is delayed again? I did not read it myself but will go over there in a bit to check it out. I would not be surprised......yep..just went over and checked it out...they are now delayed and hope to ship between 12/17 and 1/7...sigh...** shaking head**

I am worried that Linny has been without power or something...

Josie, how are you doing?

Have a great day!

Deb

Last edited:

This morning I did Kelly C-M's horizontal premix on the Cardio Kick Stepboxing (50 min.).

Yep--finished grading yesterday and I am feeling so good! Went home and made those pumpkin cookies with icing and wrapped gifts while watching the Survivor finale. Thoroughly enjoyed myself in solitude, Deb. By the way, have you looked at the most recent clip with the plyos? I don't dare look, because I can already predict from reading the comments of those who have (they sound like gleeful masochists, all excited about the pain coming their way) that I just won't be able to do the impact.

Joan, it's unbelievable how many people are still out of power around here--they are saying it's still about 300,000 and the school closings just go on and on. Hope you didn't get hit very hard. I strongly suspect Linny may have been hit in the last storm. Today it's in the 50s. Once again, very weird weather.

I am going to do my annual Christmas letter this afternoon, some work in the library gathering materials, and then go home early and do a bit more baking. I also want to finish my P.D. James mystery this afternoon. That's about it!

Hi to Josie and hope you are enjoying your DD and your elf (?).

Hi Ladies,

I did not workout at all this weekend. The weather was terrible here in LA.
I could not do my workout this morning because it was raining and the wind was so hard that it kept comming into the garage. I did get my new treadmill on Saturday and plan to use it when I get home.

I spoiled my DD with breakfast in bed and we did go shopping on Saturday for an hour or so. I will not start baking until Saturday. My DM is comming to help me this year, it has been a few years since she has done this and I'm looking forward to having four generations in the kitchen at the same time. I'm going to get elf hats for everyone.

Linny, I hope that you are ok.

Garance, I'm glad that you had some time alone. I did that on Friday, it was very relaxing.

Deb, It was 43 degrees here this morning. It actully feels like winter now.

Have a great day Ladies.

Jsoie

Hi ladies,
Just finished power hour and half hour on treadmill.
Icy roads early so they cancelled school:D, but roads were ok by midmorning.
Now to clean the house.
Joan

Hi, it's Tuesday!

Good Morning!

I was up at 3:30..:confused: Keegan had to go out and I do not feel like doing anything. I couldn’t get back to sleep so I made some coffee and decided to just sit here and do nothing! I will be going for my yearly physical today at 8:45.

I had a long talk with the vet that will be doing Kelsey’s surgery tomorrow and I feel a lot better about it. She will be down for a while, should be able to bear weight on the leg in 2-3 weeks. We will have to exercise the legs with 20 sets of something he will show us how to do, 3 times a day to help it. It's going to be a long recovery.

Garance, I have not viewed the plyo clip yet, but I know I won't be doing anything that is high impact. When I was doing P90X, there was a plyo DVD that I just skipped and did the treadmill instead. I'll probably do the same with this one. I made those pumpkin cookes when Linny first posted about them, and I froze them so I would stop eating them!

Josie, I heard about a big rain storm in San Diego, it must have been all over the south part of the state! Your baking with "elves" sounds like a good time!

Joan, Power Hour and the treadmill? You are one working out queen! Good job! Send some of your energy this way ok?

Linny, if you are out of power, we hope you and your family are ok.

Stay warm!

Deb

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 minute workout for Back, Legs, and Chest, followed by 2 miles with Leslie (60 min. total).

3:30, Deb? I don't blame you if you can't do anything. Nothing would work for me as well. Was it the snoring DH again? Worries about Kelsey? STS nightmares about plyos? Or--just plain insomnia?

This morning I made my Spritz cookies and we're going to get our tree in a little awhile. I am starting to feel more Christmasy.

Sounds like a terrible storm where you are Josie. Weird weather everywhere. Today it's cold again after the unseasonably warm weather yesterday.

Are you okay, Linny??

Hi Linny, Josie, garance, and Deb,
Elliot just went home so I haven't worked out yet. Today is just treadmill.
The official weigh in for the week-I lost 1lb.:D Total of 5 1/2 in 4 weeks.
My average calories per day for the 4 weeks is 1553. I'm not going to go too low until I stop losing. I hope with STS I'll use so many more calories the weight will just fall off. ha ha
I'm not really sure sts is any different than any of the dvd series except if I actually do it for the full three months. I have a feeling many will have better results than usual just because they used heavier weights than normal because of 1rm testing.
I'm glad it's the last week for biggest loser. When they lose 7-9lbs in a week, I pound doesn't sound like much.
Joan
Good luck with Kelsey tomorrow.

Mid- Week Madness!

Good morning!

No workout again...I was thinking about Kelsey's surgery today and worrying about making the right decision. She goes to the vet in about a half hour. I sure hope this was the right thing to do for her. :(.

Garance, yes I think it is about Kelsey's surgery. I woke up at my regular time to workout this morning, but did not feel like getting up and doing anything. Maybe if a baked some cookies I would get the Chrismasy feeling? NOT! :rolleyes: I checked out the Plyo clip. It is not too bad, there are plyo things that we could just modify, and between she does regular weight work, so it's more like a circuit workout then strictly plyo. We got about 3-5 inchs of snow last night.

Joan, high ^^^'s to you for losing the weight!;)...don''t compare to the biggest loser..they probably starve themselves and the weight will be back as soon as they start eating again! You are doing it the right way. Things could be worse, you could be like me and gaining a pound a week!:confused:

Josie, is the weather better there now? It has been strange all over the country.

Linny, I hope you are ok

Maybe these little guys will get my Christmas mojo going....have a good day!

This morning I did the Vertical premix on Kelly C-M's Cardio Kick Stepboxing (40 min.). I almost didn't though, because I think I have a cold coming on--but I figured that I wasn't sleeping all that well anyway because I was so stuffy, so why not get going.

I will be thinking about you and Kelsey today, Deb. Hugs to you and I hope everything goes well. I did look at that clip and I agree--it doesn't look impossible, but definitely needs some modifications for my old knees.

Joan, that is a most impressive weight loss and you should be proud of yourself. It sounds like you are going about it in the absolutely right way and not starving yourself, which they say often leads to starvation mode plateaus.

We put up our tree last night--a real beauty. Not enough lights, though, so DH will get another string and we'll do some decorating tonight.

I'm working on Christmas cards now and I am guilty of the much-maligned Christmas letter, because I don't feel like writing notes to everyone individually.

Linny, where are you?

Josie, I hope the winds have died down where you are. Doesn't sound like any fun.

Hi Deb, garance, Josie and Linny,
Deb- I hope Kelsey's surgery went well. I loved your little guys. I still don't know why I am not into Christmas this year.
garance - I like getting Christmas letters from family and friends. When I write in Christmas card I pretty much write the same thing in all. If you are the last one to get a card, you're lucky if I sign it.:eek:
I finished MIS late Wed. and will probably do treadmill for as long as I stay awake for Thursday wo.
Yea I bought 3 presents. (not for me). I hope people aren't expecting much this year.
Joan

It's Thursday!

Good Morning,

The vet said the surgery went well when I spoke with them late yesterday. I have to call this morning and they will tell me when I can pick her up. She has to have physical therapy this morning (yikes!), and they will show us what to do when we get her home. Apparently there are these excercises for her knee that we have to do 1 set of 20, 3 times a day. This is because you can't tell dogs that they must use their knee to get better like you do with a person. It will be about 12-14 weeks before she has full use of the leg, but it will be 110% according to the vet. I have off until 12/29!

Garance, I hope you don;t get that cold! I have to admit that after many years of cutting down trees, to getting them in tree lots etc, DH and I broke down and bought an artificial tree that has the lights permanently and "perfectly" put on! No arguements about whether there are enough or if they are on just right!. This year we have silently decided not to put the tree up. With Keegan's curiousity, ( I can see him running around with ornaments in his mouth)..and Kelsey injury and care, we don;t want the hassle. Yes, we get a couple of those yearly letters in some of our Christmas cards. I like some, and others I want to just scream when I read them..:rolleyes:..it depends on the tone I think...I don;t like the ones that are written in the 3rd person, or as if it isn't the people themselves writing it..I hope I am not offending anyone:confused:

Joan, it sounds like you are in the same Christmas spirit as I am..I have not even sent our cards yet..hopefully today I will write them out.

Josie, what's planned for today?

Linny, I hope you are ok.:(

Deb

Hi Ladies:
Its been the week from h*ll.We finally got power a half hour ago.I cried when I saw the Electric Co.I will read all your posting and get back later.I have a mountain of laundry to do.Since we didn't have any power since last thursday.~Linny~

This morning I did Kelly C-M's 30 min. of bis, tris, and shoulders followed by 2 miles with Leslie (total 60 min.).

Poor Linny! We have been thinking of you all week and suspected you were a casualty of the big ice storm. It was our dumb luck in the valley we live in that the rain never turned to ice, but all around us the damage was quite evident. I hope this does not put the kabosh on your Christmas plans. Did you go to a hotel or a shelter? (I baked the Chocolate Orange Blossom cookies this morning and I just ate one--absolutely lovely!)

It does sound like you have your hands full with Kelsey and little K's devilish personality, Deb. I don't blame you a bit not putting up a tree. We used to put our tree in the playpen to protect it from our older son, and even then we only decorated the top half. The younger one was mesmerized by the tree and would just crawl in front of it and sit staring up like a little contemplative Buddha. I love putting up our tree, though, because we have all of these ornaments the boys made (we even have one called the "barf cookie" because that's what it looks like), and every year we add to the collection when we go to Cape May. I always write my Christmas letters in the first person with occasional we's for DH and me or all of us.

I have a little cold, but it's not very serious. Maybe all the Cold-eeze I sucked on yesterday helped.

I sometimes get a little blue around Christmas when I think about my mom and sisters--all deceased. And I don't think it's uncommon for people to feel this way, so don't feel like you have to succumb to all the holiday gaiety, Joan. A lot of it is just commercial anyway.

A big welcome back to Linny!!

Hi Ladies,

I have been very busy at work and did not get a chance to post yesterday. I did the PUB yesterday and shopping in the evening. That was my cardio.

Today I will be doing my grocery shopping and going to happy hour with my cardio partner after work.

You Ladies have probably seen the weather news about us. It has been in the mid 40's and in the high 30's at night. We are not used to this weather. Two of my DB's had a foot of snow and they were expecting more today. Some roads were closed and it caused a lot of problems for people trying to get home and some of them had to spend the night in their cars.

If it keep up by next week, I will not chace it to go to my DB house in Adelanto California.
I will just stay home and have my DS and his family come to my house.

Deb, I'm gland that the surgery went well.

Linny, I'm glad that you are ok .

Joan, I'm just gettint into the spirit of Christmas. I have lost two very special people in my life this year and it has been tought to get in the spirit.

Garance, Do you ever take Emergen-C. I love this stuff, it's fizzy drink with 1000 mg of vitamin C. You can take up to 3 per day when fighting a cold. They have them at CVS or even Target.

Have a great day Ladies,

Josie

Good evening Linny, Josie, Deb and garance,
Linny I can't imagine being that long wo electric. We have ice storms, in fact we're having one right now. The longest I have been without is two days.
I hope there wasn't much damage.
Deb - glad surgery went well. PT three times a day! Maybe you can work out together.
garance - Hope the cold is gone by Christmas.
Josie - We're normally colder here but weather is still crazy for this time of year.
I got my two miles on treadmill at midnight.
Friday I start cooking and baking for Saturday's party. Pray for my diet.
I am making a pistachio cheesecake, a strawberry cheesecake (strawberries inside not on top), individual peanut butter cheesecakes with hershey kiss inside and individual lemon tarts. There's lots of food but I love the desserts.
Joan

TGIF!

Good Morning!

I had 6 wonderful straight hours of sleep, without waking up! I have not done that for so long, I can't even remember. Kelsey is doing good, she is in a lot of pain, but is a little trooper. We have to carry her everywhere, she tries to walk but is not supposed to put weight on the knee for a bit.

Linny, welcome back! I feel so awful for you! I can't imagine what that was like. Did you stay somewhere else? Did they have power at the hospital?

Garance, LOL about the tree in the playpen. We have a small plastic excercise pen that we got for Keegan for the yard..it has plastic sides that snap apart so that you can make is smaller. We are using it as a pen against one wall for Kelsey's bed and a big throw next to her. This way she is with us in the living room, but protected from "you know who" and she can relax. If it wasn't being used for her, it would have been a good idea to use it for the tree! I too feel blue about my Mom around Christmas.

Josie, so you were doing "ShopMax" as cardio? Sounds good!;)

Joan, oh boy, I want to live next door to you! Those desserts sound great!

((HUGS)) to all of you. It is a hard time of year when you have lost dear loved ones. Sometimes the commercial part gets in the way and we forget what the meaning of it all is.

Stay warm!

Deb

Good Morning Ladies,

I did PLB this morning. I was 37 degrees this morning and I had to go back in the house to get a sweatshirt. I had to close the garage door while working out.

I will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks and may not report in. I usually do not get on the computer while I'm on vacation. But I will be thinking of you ladies and will try my best to keep up with my workouts.

I want to wish every one a Merry Christmans and a Happy New Year. I will be busy with my 2 GS's.

Josie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.