Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/11

fox2star

Cathlete
037.gif

Looking forward to staying home today and hitting my "list". The party was nice, but too long for me. Didn't get home until almost 10:00. Went to bed at midnight, and up at 5:00. **yawns**

Valerie, how is the bike? Is the finger bothering you more now, so you went to the DR? I sometimes look at my hands and am surprised, thinking, "those are the hands of an old person, where are MY hands? :confused:. You are right, getting old is not fun.

I feel like the days are flying by and I am not getting anywhere fast...

Later...

Put the bike together and rode it yesterday. It's very nice. smooth, quiet, and very adjustable. riding it like it was a street bike. need to get used to it and get out butts hardened up for harder riding. I've never done 'spinning" and think it will take a little to work up to it. so did half hour on the bike, coremax 2 and my push up series. not a hard day. we are going to put cleats on so we can use our bike shoes.

Deb, it's my pinkie finger. I'd been told long ago it was dupuytren's but this doc isn't so sure.... doesn't fit the description well. the finger bent in my early 20's after many years of knitting and crocheting a lot. I used to "tension" the yarn with that finger.
he thinks it's an extensor tendon issue and though it probably won't straighten completely the splint may stretch it and make it straighter. he gave me a tiny splint to try wearing at night for 6 weeks. it's more convenience/ appearance thing. it's bent and is hard to get into gloves sometimes. it killed off keyboarding using all fingers.. even left hand has a lot of important letters to type. so I have a sloppy typing style.

I went to see him because if it is Dupuytren's, there are some new treatments available but it's better news if it's not what I was told it was 10 yrs ago. I think most of us develop hand issues as we age. double bummer.
Yeah I'm getting old lady hands quickly. nothing hurts but they look old. arthritis in general. bummer. base of my right thumb is getting enlarged. good joint spaces on most of my fingers though so that was good news.

got all the cards done ( not many anymore) just need to buy a few gift cards & savings bonds to stuff into them and that's it. I don't go nuts with christmas anymore. Not going to be part of the frenzy.

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.).

Went to a fun holiday party on Friday night and didn't eat too much--mostly smoked salmon and shrimp. We went to get our tree yesterday, and because we had to go to a new place (the usual tree farm we went to decided to wholesale their beautiful trees and go out of business), it was really, really hard. An uphill hike and trees with a lot of snow on them and not nearly as beautifully pruned. Finally found one I liked, but it's sooo big. Half of our great room is going to be taken up by this tree. DH keeps calling it "our Sequoia." I did buy a tree ornament when we were at Muir Woods, so I guess it fits.

Another comfort Sunday meal tonight. A risotto and a lasagna bolognese are the first two courses. Don't know what dessert is, but maybe if it's tiramisu I will have to get it. One of my favorite desserts. I will let you know tomorrow.

My hands are actually pretty good. No spots or enlarged knuckles yet--I wear a size 6 ring, and that has been forever. I remember one of my sisters telling me I was lucky when I was younger because I had such plump hands. They are much thnner now, but not bad. But yeah, it's tough getting old and watching the lines move in--mostly around my eyes. And I just seem to have lumpy knees. Ugh!

Good morning,

It is freezing here but no snow YAY!! I don't mind the cold, but shovelling, brushing off the car, scraping the car....Nope.

Valerie, we did our cards last night. I seem to eliminate a few every year. It sounds like you will like the spinning workout.

Garance, how was the dinner? what was for dessert? did you ever find any type moisturizer for around the eyes that you liked? I keep trying different ones and nothing really is any good, in my opinion.

Going in early today so I have to scoot and get ready,

Hi to Josie, Joan & Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I ended up going spinning, because it looked like it was going to rain and if it rains, the ride is canceled.

Valerie, go to youtube.com and check out the Spin bike set up, adjustment and technique by coach Juliet Burgh. She show you how to set the bike to your height and body length and she also gives you pointers on how to stand and the 3 had positions for your training.

I have not bought anything yet, but will have to go and do some shopping this week. I want to be able to wrap the gifts before the grandkids come over. I also need to buy all of my baking ingredients.

Hi to Cathy, Joan, Deb and Garance!

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did Low Impact Challenge (51 min.).

The meal was yummy last night. It was a pumpkin risotto, and the dessert was a creme brulee amaretto. I did not get the dessert, but had a few spoonfuls from DH's. The serving size on the lasagna was really big, so we both brought half home for dinner tonight.

Deb, I lurked over at the Open Discussion thread about eye creams, and followed a link to DHC. A lot of rave reviews on this one, so I bought it. I think it's pretty good, but you know how easy it is to fool yourself that something is improving. It's not too expensive, and it seems like it will last for quite awhile.

Josie, don't forget your lemon cookie recipe, pretty please!

Hi to Valerie, and let me know how your vanilla bean cookies turn out and banish my skepticism about sugar.

Hi Ladies,

I will write myself a note regarding the lemon cookies. I will post when I get home.

Josie

hi ya'll, well, ok, i think i'm almost ready for Christmas. got the presents wrapped. and, i actually got 3 boxes packed for the move, and have a BIG box for goodwill. and, probably alot more big boxes for goodwill. we will probably start moving after the new year. still am not thrilled about it, but kinda gettin used to the idea. my house is a wreck right now, been going thru 28 yrs. of stuff and shopping, and stuff.
today, i did low impact challenge today. all but the blast, gonna do the blast tomorrow with body sculpt. well, i think, may die from BS.
and, we will have around 35 people here for Christmas, so have alot to do, although there will be 3 ladies helping me cook. isn't that great??? , i don't have to do it all myself. our very last Christmas here. i'm gonna be sad

Good morning!

Actually slept from 10:00 to 4:00, then went back to sleep for another hour. It was heavenly.

Josie, I am where you are with Christmas. I think I got a couple of little things, but only one for John. I think I am going to give him money to get a new bike in the spring. I was going to find a bicycle ornament, wrap that with a check and give it to him.

Garance, pumpkin risotto sounds wonderful. Can you post the link to the eye cream thread? I have the DHC night facial cream, and it's "ok" but nothing fantastic. I have tried all the Olay line, meh.

Cathy, I can't imagine moving after 28 years in a place. We have been here 28 years too, and I feel sorry for whoever has to clean this place out when we are gone. It took my Dad and his wife 3 weeks to clean out my grandmother's house. She lived there her whole life, ( 96 years) and her mother before her. She was born in the house and never lived anywhere else. Plus she collected and saved everything. It was unbelivable. Sometimes I look around here and think, "I better start cleaning out some of this stuff" and then I get overwhelmed and don't do anything. Maybe it's time to move. LOL. 35 people?? wow.

Valerie, do you have too many spinning DOMS that you can't walk to the computer?

Off to let the dogs out one more time before leaving for work,

take care,

No DOMS here just busy. went hiking yesterday but not real successful. very clear pretty day mountains looked lovely but snow was down lower than we thought and we could not drive very far. we had hoped to snowshoe but not up a half melted, tire rutted frozen road. lots of 4 wheelers been there and made a nasty mess. we started on a trail but it wasn't much better. nasty breakable crust snow. wore just boots, snowshoes were overkill, as were microspikes. got a bridge over the water, a horizontal tree coated with snow and ice and decided to stop there. hand a handwire but still too treacherous. the spray and humidity from the water coated it like a glazed donut. NO WAY. so ended up walking a couple of miles but not much elevation gain.
the day before we did yardmax and later I did 5 on the new bike, 25 on the treadmill.

Josie, I will take a look . we don't have the new pedals on and are waiting on the electronics display that is coming via UPS. It feels a lot like a road bike vs a stationary bike. Cathe has some of those points on her cycle disk. I thought I'd be able to use regular unpadded shorts but no, need padded ones for longer than very short ride times.

Eye cream... I use the Strivectin SD one. seems Ok. I don't seem to be crinkling up too badly! Got it at Costco. I use another one on my face that I really like. I have rosacea so can't use creams that accelerate skin turnover, get irritation and breakouts. it's coffeeberry called Revaleskin. used it for years. got it from the dermatologists office and it works great for me. keeps my skin soft but does not cause breakouts. it's expensive but lasts a long time because it's in a pump container so the amount is controlled. I get it online for less.

Been thru the moving/cleaning out process for aunts. don't look forward to it ever. my mothers' house will be a nightmare. it's almost a reason to move every few years so you can weed out and reduce a little at a time.
got get ready for yoga, more later.

Back again... yoga was so good. she has something new every session. love this class.

creme brulee amaretto sounds heavenly. love amaretto flavor and smell. I've got to try risotto 'out" sometime. I've only had homemade.

going out this saturday and will look ahead at menu. we need to use a particular place because of location... near aunt's assisted living..... and also because one person is celiac and this place has quite a few gluten free choices. unfortunately it is extremely loud. I hope not as loud as last time. nice restaurant otherwise.

now off to look at the spin bike set up on youtube.

Hi Ladies,

Here is the recipe for the cookies:

Iced Lemon Sugar Cookies

1 lemon
1 ¾ cups of flour
½ tsp salt
¼ lb butter at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
¼ tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powder sugar
Red and green food coloring

Grate 1 ½ tsp. of the yellow zest from the lemon and squeeze 1 tsp. juice.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer set at medium
Speed, beat the lemon zest, butter and granulated sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and egg and beat until fluffy and light in color. Reduce speed and gradually beat in the flour mixture just until dough starts to come together.
Gather dough into a ball and divide in half. Wrap each half and chill at least 30 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough at a time to about 1/8” thickness. Stamp out with a cookie cutter. Put on an un-greased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until the edges start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Frosting
Stir the lemon juice into the confectioners sugar, stir in 3 to tbs. water until icing is thin enough to spread. Divide among 3 bowls and use food coloring to tint one in red, green
Leaving one white. Ice the tops of the cookies and let dry.

I will be spinning tonight. I will not be doing the bar method for a while. The price has gone up and since I have to pay for my DD it will be too much. I will probably just buy their DVD and Cathe's DVD and do it at home.

I will be back later.

Josie

This morning I did the upper body split on total body trisets (56 min.).

Deb, I couldn't find the old thread on eye creams, but I do remember that the only other eye cream mentioned was Revitalift. It was a pretty short thread. It's the concentrated eye cream in a little jar at the DHC site.

Cathy, I have always found moving a difficult process. It's not just the sorting and throwing out and the physical exertion, but also emotional, at least for me. I guess I don't like a lot of disruption in my life--just small, incremental changes.

Josie, thanks for the recipe. I will definitely try. Is it 1/2 tsp baking powder, too? And instead of water in the icing, couldn't you just use all of the lemon juice instead of just 1 tsp.? I bet you would like Turbo Barre, and maybe you could do it together with your dd.

Valerie, I sympathize on the snowshoeing. We occasionally have uninvited guests back on our land with snowmobiles, and they ruin the snow for us. DH usually can figure out who it is by following the tracks and warning them off.

Hi to Joan!

Hi Ladies,

Sorry about that, I forgot to add the 1/2 tsp of baking powder on the list of ingredients.
I have tired just adding the lemon juice, but it is never enough, but you can play with it and see what works best for you.

Josie

Plans changed again... the restaurant is totally booked so we are back to eating at the assisted living place. it's dining room and service are nice, no argument there. but the food is so bland and meat centered. yesterday it was beef stew... I haven't eaten anything like that 40 years. I know the people who live there probably like that kind of food and are happy, so yes, this is about ME. vegetables and salads are barely an afterthought so usually I can't find much of anything to eat. we don't eat out much and I was looking forward to the first night out in a year... yes, think it is that long. double bummer

for a change, these weren't snowmobilers, and the snow was crummy regardless. we should have gone elsewhere where the road is plowed higher. snow would have been OK up higher. but yes, it's pretty easy to track snowmobilers down. they violate wilderness boundaries all the time but it's very difficult to catch them, or that's what the forest service says. I don't believe it for a second. t

Valerie--

Have you thought about hiring a caterer to bring some goodies to the assisted living space?

It's getting awfully late to get anything else organized. I found the choices for "dinner" saturday at the assisted living.... cheeseburger, turkey a la king, and a shrimp salad. so if you are vegetarian or celiac you are SOL. I'm always surprised at the choices, never anything I'd care to eat. 6 of us are meeting earlier for snacks and drinks so I guess I'll indulge in snacks more than usual. too many changes at the last minute, just like thanksgiving. I can probably get the salad down if I smuggle in some decent vinaigrette in my purse.

wow Deb, 7 straight hours of sleep! what did you do differently? or did the dogs for some reason sleep in too?

Last edited:
Good morning all,

rushing to get off to work....got another good night's sleep, maybe we are finally getting normal around here....

Gotta run....

inoutbox.gif
overloaded.gif
worksucks2.gif

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.). I am definitely improvisng on this one. It no longer feels so hard, and I can do a few of those walking planks.

Deb, that's great you are managing to get enough sleep. Sounds like the dogs are not so crazy.

Valerie, as you know from my posts, we go out to dinner quite often. I would really miss it if we did not.

I think we are bringing in our sequoia tonight, now that dh has cut off some of the lower branches and the snow has finally melted off. I think I will have to wait for decorating, though, because it takes awhile for the branches to come down after the netting is cut off. I have always enjoyed decorating the tree. We have a lot of birds that snap on that I especially like. Every time we go to Cape May we buy a couple more ornaments. I guess we should stop, but I love them.

Hi to Josie, Joan, and Cathy!

Good morning,

Took the client to dinner last night, and had a horrible night's sleep. Not sure what I could have eaten that kept me awake. I had some decafe coffee, maybe that was it.
Garance, did you mean you were improving with Afterburn? LOL, I am always improvising on these. I guess I have come to the conclusion that I don't like getting a series of 10 workouts. It is overwhelming to me. They don't relate to each other like STS did, no real way to combine them. I look at all of them and don't want to do any of them. I don't think I have been in this bad of an exercise slump in years.

Off to get ready for another "wonderful" day at work.

Hi to all,

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.