Melty Friday

buffettgirl

Cathlete
Goodmorning melters. I couldn't sleep, so here I am.

Shelley and tneah, NOTHING TO DO!!! I have so many to-do lists, you can't see my countertops. Shelley, yes, a picture of your new doo is required, please. Tneah, I'm sure there is some arthritis developing. My mom can hardly walk due to arthritis in her knee. I hope to do a workout or two before guests arrive Sunday afternoon, then plan on resting until the last of the guests leave on Thursday.

Judy, I'm LOL at your appetizer experimenting. I wish I had time to do appetizers, but the most imaginative thing I'm doing along that line is some spiced pecans. Otherwise, it's cheese and crackers for all.

Leanne and TK, I like Christi a lot too, but haven't done one of her workouts in a long time. Step Heaven is my favorite.

Lanie, how can you be sick AGAIN!!! Hugs to you. I'd be soooo depressed.

Michele, how did the new carpet turn out? Did you get anything in the mail yet?

We have our annual lab food orgy today. I'm taking a cake. No melting for this girl today! Our door decoration gets judged today too. The prize? Pizza lunch. Just what I need.

Hi to the melters I've missed. Have a wonderful Friday.

Morning everyone!!!!!

I'm practically singing today because after it's done, I'm off for eleven, count 'em, ELEVEN WHOLE DAYS! I feel so burnt out and tired, I so need this time!

Robin - This time of year there isn't much down time, but occasionally I find myself with a minute or two and I'm always at a loss. Hence the Peggle addiction:p Oh, and I don't entertain anyone, so it makes it a lot less hectic. See? The solution is to turn into an anti-social hermit like me!

Lainie - Ugh - I'm so sorry you're sick again!

I'll try to get a picture of the do. It's not a Posh, but I can make it sleek like that if I want to. I'm not very good at sleek. Messy is much easier. Tneah, I have a very pointy chin, so it works on me. And Lainie, feel free to go all SWF on me if you like it. Also, did you shave your legs?:p

HI melters-

Robin- on Christmas Eve we are only having heavy appetizers and cookies and cheer. So I need to have some good ones. I did get some jalapeno poppers and pizza bits for the kids, and of course cocktail hot dogs which my sons love. But I want to make available some more real food nibbles if you know what I mean. What kind of marvelous cake did you make.

Shelly - I agree messy hair is lower maintenance, but I don't have quite enough curl to pull it off . I am getting a hi-light and slight cut today. I need to get my hair back to just touching my shoulders or even pony tail length. I am not happy with the shorter style- it makes me look old. x( x(x(

[font color=purple][font size +1]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well.
William Osler

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

Hi Melters!

Happy Friday and Merry Christmas!!!

I tried my best to check in yesterday but obviously didn't pull it off. I'll try to get caught up later. I had my orthopedist appointment, got to work late, went straight into a 2-hr meeting and then had to try to get caught up on work.

The appointment went very well, and I'm just thrilled. I was scared to death he'd put me in one of those funky boots. Instead, he advised me to get busy and do some brisk walking or use the elliptical (within reason)! :7 :7 :7 I'm just over the moon! Cardio!!! He also wants me to do a calf stretch eight times a day and hold that stretch for 2 minutes at a time. That's a lot of stretching! And he prescribed a super-duper anti-inflammatory. He said my left calf is 3/4 inch bigger than the right due to inflammation. Wow.

So... yesterday was a day of celebration. I ate two donuts at work and a piece of fudge when I got home. Not exactly the best way to melt, huh? But it sure did taste good.

ROBIN - throw those dang lists away. Just enjoy the holiday - including that pizza if your door wins.

SHELLEY - enjoy your vacation! I envy you!

JUDY - all those appetizers sure sound good!

LANIE - you poor thing! Have you seen a doctor? You really need to get this cleared up.

Judy, I made a Norwegian Hazelnut Cake with chocolate glaze. I never made it before, so we'll see....

Shannon, actually, once my guests arrive, other than cooking, I plan on relaxing. I just have a bunch of cleaning and shopping to do before then.

Shelley, I'm excited about your 11 days off. I have 4 and I'm over the moon.

Good Morning fellow Melters!

The little creatures let me sleep till 4:50 today! wow they must have been tired from all the barking and guarding while the locksmith was here yesterday.:) I went to my brothers and helped my SIL and neices make cookies yesterday. I only ate 3 or was it 4? She also makes these chocolate balls with oreo cookies and melted chocolate. I had to have one of those too.. too much sugar in one day. Today I did a 40 minute I-Tread. Now it's time to decide what to do next week. Stay with heavy weights or go to circuit, or endurance? I can't decide.

Leanne:
I have the calipers that Tom Venuto recommends in his Burn The Fat, Feed the Muscle book. They are pretty good once you get the hang of it. I always think I am not "pinching" the same spot each time. I got them really cheap on Ebay, like $10 including shipping.My DH went to UCSC too, back in the late 60's.

Robin:
Hope your knee starts to feel better. I found when I stopped doing high impact stuff, it really helped my knees. I also take something called "Move Free" for joints. Hope your door wins the prize!

TK: or "jane":
can't wait to see those leg warmers!

B:
Drive by and wave whenever you can! ;-)

Tneah:
I have those days all the time. I am not one to book a whole day of chores or errands if I can help it! Also since it is only DH and me, there is not a lot to do around here to keep things up. I have to say, DH is great for helping around the house. If he didn;t do laundry, I wouldn't have any clean clothes!

Judy:
Did you ever do that artichoke hearts dip thing? My SIL makes it for Christmas Eve where we do a bunch of appetizers before eating "real" food. We have shrimp with cocktail sauce of course, DH makes "Chili Con Queso" with tiny meatballs that you dip in it, the infamous hollowed out pumpernikel bread with dip in the middle, vegs tray /dip tray.. etc. We are usually so stuffed we don;t want the real food!

Shelley:
We need to see the new "do"! Is your hair naturally curly? What's a Posh? ( shows age and hermit-like life here!)I am on day 7 of my 11 days off! It is wonderful.

Lainie:
so sorry to hear you are still feeling bad. LOL on the leg shaving comment. :7

Have a great day!

Deb

Good morning, Melters!

I was up early, too -- but only because my DH was snoring at 5:15 and woke me up! I tried poking and prodding him, but it only made him seem to get louder! Ah, well!:)

Well, I had a little melting this week. I just weighed myself and lost just under a pound. Of course, I'm really worried about what happens today. It's my DH's last day of work before starting winter break, and, as I've mentioned, all his high school students always give him tons of sweets. It's going to be very hard to resist!

Robin -- That Norwegian Hazelnut Cake sounds heavenly! I can't resist hazelnut or chocolate. Nutella . . . ummm! Let us know how it turns out!

Shelly -- That's so exciting that you'll be off for 11 days! Do you have any plans for that time?

Deb -- I have those calipers, too, but it seems like I always get such wonky results using them. Like you, I don't know if I'm pinching the same spot each time! But I've been using them alongside my Tanita scale just to make sure that the number moves DOWN, not up. Don't you just love the BFFM book? It's what's been helping me lose weight! The "posh" haircut is the super cute short cut that Victoria Beckham (Posh Spice from the Spice Girls) is wearing. I'm not good at adding photos, but here's a link to it:
http://www.prohaircut.com/short-hair-cuts-victoria.html

Shannon -- That's so exciting that you got the green light to exercise again!

Judy -- Those appetizers sound great!

TK -- I'm still hoping to try Christi next week!

Lainie -- Hope you feel better! Are you sure you don't need to head back to the Dr.'s office? You've been sick for so long!

Happy Friday, everyone!

Good morning!!

Robin - so sorry you couldn't sleep last night. With all the holiday entertaining you have planned you need your rest, young lady! My carpet turned out great -- I LOVE it!! My kitty cat loves it, too. He was a bit tentative at first but then he laid down, s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out, then rolled around on it -- LMAO!!! I've been stalking my mailman but all I've gotten is a stack of bills and some Christmas cards -- no yummy goodness yet.

Judy - you're welcome! How many are you expecting for Christmas Eve? I'm sure whatever you serve will be delicious! I'm glad I don't have to do any cooking or party planning. I'm doing the running back and forth from DH's family to my family. We spend a lot of time in the car -- UGH!

Shelley - Oh -- I want to see your new do!! Oh yeah, messy dos are good -- I'm totally into messy hair. Of course, when your hair is curly you don't have much of a choice. I agree you need and deserve the time off so, what do you have planned? I hope plenty of rest and fun stuff is on your agenda.

Cuz - I'm thrilled that you're thrilled about cardio!! Make sure you're religious about doing those stretches! I don't think it's possible to stretch too much. We can all take a lesson from our cats -- LMAO!! So what big workout plans do you have? Is Coach Sean anywhere on the horizon? As for treats, yesterday I had 4 petits fours and a cookie that DH brought home, the dirty dog!!

Deb - I would like to congratulate you on your discipline in the face of baking holiday cookies. You only ate 4!? That's amazing! Speaking of the locksmith, have you polished your door knocker yet? I'm dying to know how it turns out.

Lainie - I'm going to tell you what I told one of the Haters -- you should hire a sitter to watch your kids for a day or 2 or 3 so you can rest. I think that's what it's going to take for you to get over this bug. I'm LMAO at your "wicked" comment last night!

Leanne, ^^^5's on your melting!! My DH snores, too -- UGH!! I've seriously contemplated suffocating him with a pillow -- LMAO! I don't think I've slept through the night in 10 years. I don't even poke and prod anymore -- I've gotten to the point where I kick, and hard :p

TK, HA! I'll be on the lookout for legwarmers -- lol!! I hope you haven't thrown out the cool 80's warmers -- oh man, I really want to see a picture of those. I used to work out at Elaine Powers, too!

B - Hello!! We've missed you around here! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's missed workouts. I did my first one in over a week last night.

tneah - it sounds like you have everything under control for the holidays. I would like to be bored right now. I'm starting to get panicky for fear of the unknown. Even though I don't actually entertain, I'm the one everybody calls to help out. I'm always happy to lend a hand, I just wish people wouldn't call me at the last minute. ;(

I'm feeling about the same as I did yesterday. I slept a lot yesterday which felt really good, but my throat is still sore and I have a little cough. DH was sweet enough to pick something up for dinner so I didn't have to cook last night. I haven't weighed myself yet -- I might wait. My resistance was low and I went overboard with treats this week -- darn!! My goal for today is to do a good workout. I did classical stretch last night and it felt great, but I seriously need some cardio. I have to get back on track before I get out of the habit.

Well, my SIL is here and my BIL comes today. I may not have time to post much between now and Christmas so my best to each of you and your loved ones for a very Merry Christmas!!

Good Friday Morning All!:)

I was so fidgety last night I actually attempted P90X Yoga!x( Made it through 30 minutes and gave up. I get so bored to tears.. I cannot bear yoga....zzzzz...it bugs for some reason, knowing you are supposed to be in this "zen" state and breath a certain way. So I popped in StretchMax and actually relaxed!:)

Oh its almost Christmas! Robin, toss a few of your "to-do" lists my way, I'll help ya out!:7 The cake sounds wonderful, you always sound like you have such a full life filled with yummy food, loved ones and a job that you actually enjoy, that is a gift in itself right?

Shelley, I cannot do sleek either, I am horrid with a round brush, I got a flatiron as an attempt to get that "sleek and shiny" thing happening, but most days I just wear my hair back or up--I am into headbands right now, the thinner ones, they actually look kinda cute. Cannot wait to see your hair.

Michele, glad your kitty loves the carpet, and please take care and feel better soon!

Leanne, my DH woke me up at 5:45!x( He had a conference call at 7, so he sets our alarm and then forgets to turn it off, so I woke up every 15 minutes to Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Starting Something?"Actually, yes sweetie, get in here so I can kick your arse!Lovely.Way to go with your lost pound. I am jealous.

Lainie, I am wondering if you have that thing called mono? Didn't someone already ask that? I would go get that checked! I hope this morning finds you with smooth, sexy legs.
;)

Judy, I love those little hotdog appetizers, haven't had them in years, but they are sooo good.:9

TK, whats up Jane?
;)

Shannon, yippee, yi-yay! So glad to hear you can start doing cardio! I broke my toe a few years ago, they put me in a boot, and I still against doctor's orders did my Tae Bo.:7 Good thing you can skip the boot, and are on the road to recovery-remember to stretch.

Deb, I am thinking like you right now, I am on my last week of 4DS, and think I am either going to see what Cathe does for Jan. or do my own rotation with more endurance based workouts and extra carido?

I read somewhere that boredom is simply a lack of imagination, so I shall keep myself occupied today regardless. My closet could use a good cleaning, I could paint, I could write more silly Christmas songs....no, actually there is lots to do today!:7 Hi, to everyone I missed...have a wonderful day!

Hello everyone. This morning after I got the kids to school I spent the rest of the morning with DH since he didn't have to go to work yet. Then I went to pick Ewan up from nursery school and DH went to a business lunch. Then I took Ewan with me to the grocery store, and he was at least well-behaved. I have finally gotten him down for an afternoon nap and I've got most of the groceries put away. It was a really big shopping trip because of getting stuff for Christmas dinner. Now I'm worn out (and still sick) so I am resting again today.

Whew. At least the boys will be off school next week, so I won't have to worry about getting them to and from school. On the other hand, they'll be underfoot ALL DAY. Yikes.

Robin, you're right--hth am I sick again? Ugh. And I'm clean and I keep a fairly clean house. It's not like I go around being all germy. I blame my germy kids.

Shelley, girlfriend, I did shave my legs. They are silky smooth and gorgeous. DH is a leg man. ;)

Judy, I can't pull off messy hair, either. I just look like Robert Plant. Only more feminine, I hope. My hair is limply wavy so I always either straighten or curl it. Or put it up out of the way.

Shannon, yay for cardio again! I loved that feeling, too. As for my illness, I saw a doctor a couple weeks ago. Just no time to see one right now and it's almost a holiday again. If I'm still cruddy after Christmas, I'll see a doc again.

Deb, stop mentioning the word COOKIES. I don't want to think about cookies. But I will probably make some Christmas cookies tomorrow with my boys. See, it's o.k. because it's a tradition. Will that cancel the calories? If only!

Leanne, just say no to the sweets! (says the woman planning to make cookies tomorrow)

Tneah, I've already had mono (back in college) so I don't think I can get that again. Sometimes I wonder if I should have my tonsils out because they get infected so much. I know they don't do that as often nowadays and I somehow made it through childhood with them intact even though I was sick a lot. I'm just a nerdy weakling.

Michele, at least DH will be home for several days to help with the kids, so maybe that will help me rest.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif[/font]

Hello melters. Today was GS Chest and Triceps. For some odd reason I love push-ups, but when I am actually doing them I'm wishing for them to end. Push-ups and pull-ups are the best all-round exercises you can possibly do but they sure aren't easy!

Alas, I believe I did throw away my homemade legwarmers so you all will have to leave what they looked like to your imagination. I think they got tossed at the same time as the leotards and tights. I can't remember who here said it, but I also remember doing aerobics in bare feet. Even when we did finally start using aerobics shoes they weren't nearly as cushioned as what we have now. I guess that's maybe why I always had shin splints (duh). Oh and a sport bra, we never heard of them! Elaine Powers was my first exposure to group fitness. We did the same aerobics routine for months before they'd change it. How times have changed!

Deb: Funny you are calling me 'Jane'. Some people when they meet me the first time say I look like Jane Fonda. I don't see the resemblance myself, but I've heard it many times. On another note: OMG chocolate balls with oreos? They sound divine!!

Shannon: I am so happy for you! So glad you got the clearance for cardio.

Michele: Yeah I think you're off the hook for those 80's legwarmers, but I can still knit you up a pair if you're feeling nostalgic. Oh and I'm glad kitty approves of your carpet.

Tneah: You can come here and clean my closets. That's a chore I've been putting off forever. Enjoy your down time, though.

Lainie: I'm still giggling about 'little Lainie' in her red white and blue Mary Lou Retton leotard. That must have been too cute! Too funny that you actually got to meet her. I bet she's a tiny little thing in person.

Shelley: I hear you on the Peggle addiction. Almost every night I take a few minutes to play it. Enjoy your time off.

Robin: Aren't you just the domestic diva? All those cookies and now a cake! Sounds yummy, though. Did you guys win the 'door' prize ?(sorry couldn't resist).

I know I missed a couple people, but hi to all!:)

Scoff if you must, Ms Jane truton, but yes, we did win the door contest. I posted some pictures under a title We Won on the open forum.

You are a winner Robin!:7 So cute, that door.

I just wanted to comment on the legs portion of 4DS.I wanted to go out with a bang since next month I am doing something totally different exercise -wise. I know you are supposed to increase the weights as you get stronger, so I did. But I found the pace of this "heavy leg' workout too fast for proper recovery between sets. I used about 5-20 more pounds than Cathe and the gals on each exercise and found I needed a bit more recovery time. So I wonder if Cathe would suggest sticking with a weight that is light enough to recover quickly between sets?But then, I am not challenging my leg muscles like I should with this "heavy leg workout". Hum. I did Slow and Heavy legs this week too and the recovery time was at least 1-2 minutes between sets which was great.
Anyway, still love the workout, just a thought. Hope everyone is having a swell Friday night.:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.