Lurker Invitations March Check-In

janiejoey

Cathlete
Good Morning Everyone,

March already and Spring is just around the corner.

Thought I'd start this check in. Will be back later for personals.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I am now on a week of relaxing my body with weight lifting. Today I did 29 min. of Rhythmic Step on the board, no risers. Then it started getting too complicated for me today, and went to the treadmill for the rest of the time. Which was 27 min. Altogether my cardio was 56 min. My legs are tired but doable. I may have burned 300 calories, maybe a tad more.

For Breakfast I had shredded wheat with soy milk, lunch was 4 eqq whites with 2 slices of sprouted toasted bread. I feel great. Planning on a huge shrimp salad topped with beans and homemade avocado dressing. Then before 8:00 pm I'll have an apple with maybe just a tad bit of goat cheese. Just a taste. Maybe 1 teaspoon full.

I really need to lose the weight and this week, for me, will be all about cardio and yoga, to stretch those worked muscles. I had a blood test done recently and my cholesterol was kinda high. Shame on me. Now I'm working hard to lower it.

STS is hard, but hey, that's what we have to do to get what we want. Right? Staying healthy is not easy, but it shouldn't be extremely hard either. I modify a lot and I get through it. I have many pounds to lose yet, but I have high hopes that I'll get there. I lost another 1.5 pounds this week. Not too shabby. I'm hoping by August I'll be where I want to be, it's a good start anyway.

What is everyone else doing to stay healthy and on top of things? Let's work hard this month. I know it is difficult, but lets try anyway.

Janie

Last edited:
Laura,

1,252 calories burned from x-skiiing. WOW!:eek: That's amazing! I'm going to have to put on my heart monitor to see how many calories I really do burn. That is impressive. Good for you.

Keep up the good work. WOW!

Janie

Hello,

No workout today. I did HIIT yesterday morning on the elliptical and D6 Legs last night. Hammies are a little sore today.

Laura-1200+ calories, wow very impressive and the best part is that you were doing something you truly enjoy! It would be spectacular if I could burn calories in that range for sitting on my butt at Barnes & Noble, reading, and having cofee and a pastry:) A girl can dream!

Janie-Ok that avocado dressing has my interest. Do you make it yourself? If you do would you mind sharing the recipe. Your salad sounds sooooo delicious! Are you doing the 3 month or 6 month?

Lets keep up the good work!
Booboo

Hello Everyone!

I hope to do better with this month than last. Only 19 wo's :( But, Thursday I had to leave work and drive to Oklahoma. Talked with the Dr. about putting in a feeding tube for my father. They are planning on taking him off the vent and putting him on BiPap in order to move him to a nursing home with 24 Hr care. However, if he does not start cooperating with the speech therapist and feeding himself he will have to have the feeding tube... which he is refusing to do... in order to move him. Medicare will stop paying for the hospital soon. I don't want to go against his wishes but, I can't see any other way. He can't be moved while on TPN (intravenous feeding) and he has no money to pay the hospital. I don't think he will make it much longer.

Today all I did was lunch with some friends and a movie...just to destress. Tomorrow GS Legs and work.

Janie, glad you made it through Meso 1!!! Awesome work on the 1.5 lbs! I am still holding out on STS to start with LaDubose if she is able. If not then I suppose I will be starting on my own! :) I know I will have the check in here to help!

Booboo, the eliptical and D6....good job on that!

Check in with ya'll later!!

Hi Everyone!
I am so happy to say good-bye to February! Despite my obstacles over the last couple of weeks, my weight was down 2lbs.:D I just finished doing a basic yoga practice which consists of Sun Salutations, Leg raising excercises, and the 12 basic postures. I feel good and very optimistic for the month ahead. I also treated myself to a facial today since my skin has been breaking out a lot recently due to stress.

Janie: Your meals sounded very yummy today, especially that avocado dressing. I love avocados! And Goat cheese *yum*. I'm actually trying to cut out cheese or at least limit it. Good job on the cardio. Sometimes you start a workout and it just doesn't seem to work as planned so it's smart that you just finished up doing something else.

Ironlady: I'm sorry things are not going well with your father. I'll send good vibes your way! It's nice to take time out with friends to de-stress. Good for you.

Laura: Thanks for the encouragement. I know it's just part of the journey.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's continued success. After all, the fact that we are all still around here is a success in itself!

Good Evening,

Wanted to see how all of you were doing. Had some time and was thinking of you.

Elle, Congratulations on your weight loss. I'll be doing yoga tomorrow. Just love practicing it. Sorry about you being stressful. I know that is an awful feeling. Vent if you like. I have to curb my eating on cheese, because my body won't stand for it, so I take a very small taste every now and then.

IronLady, (Sherry) I know what you are going through. My mom has Alzheimer and most likely won't make it past this year. But then again she has surprised me and is still here. She was my best friend. My sisters also say that she was their best friend too. Isn't it fantastic that she made all of us feel so special? (((((hugs and prayers to you both))))). I'm sorry you have to go through this. Vent whenever you can, I think it helps.

Booboo, My dressing is a marvel. Everyone loves it! Can't hardly believe it, but it's true. A little of this and a little of that. I don't have a recipe, but here it is, and will be great, I promise.

1/2 cup of seasoned vinegar
2 green onions
2 T. of nonfat/light mayo
Add enough water to blend all the ingredients together. I use a Magic Bullet, but I think a blender will work just as well.

In place of avocado, use tomato, red peppers, mango, orange, carrots...anything you like. Mix and match. It's really good.

Have a nice night everyone,

Janie

Last edited:
Check in Monday

Hello everyone -

Back on the check in after the weekend. On Thursday I finished up my premix run of 4DS - it was Higher Intensity Circuit and well, I was expecting a little more legs in there because there really wasn't any. Did the HIS portion all again and still loved it. Stopped the workout when I got to the abs because I had just done it the night before and finally did the weights and plates abs workout on Circuit Abs. Loved it - it was great but I've pinpointed something that I don't like. This is small - but it bothers me - the fact that in those ab workouts there is never a shot of all of the participants doing the workout. Usually it focuses on one person - be it Cathe, Denise, Dez, Lorraine or one of those men. I keep wanting the cameraman to pull back and he never does. I don't know if that is the style on all the other STS workouts but I prefer to see everyone. I don't know why.

On Saturday me and my DH went for another walk and we were trudging up a hill and I felt my heart pumping and it felt great. It was warm out and we got to a hillside and sat there for a bit enjoying the sun - I could have took a little nap there.

Not eating between meals is HARD!!! We were going out to dinner on Saturday night and I had not eaten lunch and I was starving. So at 4pm I made myself something and called it "lunch." DH was on my case saying we were going to eat in another hour - I told him I absolutely could not wait another hour. I was so glad I didn't. We waited 2 1/2hours just to get seated!!!

Hope everyone is doing well - see that we've moved on into March. I love that we are really trying to focus on eating well. I watched a little bit of the Biggest Loser and they are inspiring. The fact that everyone is trying so hard to be healthy and to slim down - the feeling that you are doing something good for yourself in itself can be motivating.

Shoe report: I couldn't find the heels I wanted to wear - that always angers me and I am wearing a supremely boring pair of blank slingbacks. These have white stitching on them and yes, another little buckle. Oh well - I know what I like.

Have a good day out there!!

Hi all,

Sorry to be MIA - this has been one very nasty flu/bronchitis/???? bug. I've been essentially out since Wednesday. But, things are looking up today and at least I'm conscious! Should probably be able to work a half day, and I'm going to try doing something very light to get the blood flowing.

And thanks for the good wishes in our Feb thread - it was nice to be missed :)

Good mornin everyone.

I'm so frustrated and in such a mood. I gained 2 pounds overnight. Yesterday, I did over 50 min. of cardio, ate around 1200 calories, burned over 300 calories from the cardio I did. How could this be?

From now on I'm writing down my calories to make sure I'm doing everything right. I just can't believe how hard I worked and overnight I gained weight when I should have lost weight. Seems imposible to me. Jeesh!

I was wearing a headband during my workout and the band got so wet I could have wrung it out (literally).

I've been racking my brain to figure out how this could have happened. It takes a week or more for me to lose this kind of weight. Gosh darn it!

I'm so frustrated, I just want to cry. I don't understand. I'm going to put this up on the OD forum and see if people can give me an answer.

Off to do yoga. See you in awhile.

Janie

Last edited:
Janie ..

Chances are very good that you did NOT gain an extra pound and a half overnight. You would have had to eat AND PROCESS 3500*2 calories over and above your basic metabolic rate, which is probably somewhere in the 1200-1500 range. That would be around 7000 calories plus what you normally eat - or 8500 altogether! It's not likely.

One thing I learned quite a bit about while doing my weight loss with SparkPeople was all the ways a scale can fool you about weight, while losing that 50 pounds. Here are just a few things that might have happened:

* you might have eaten something that's intrinsically heavy and takes awhile to process in your body. You're a vegetarian or I'd suggest it was meat - but some vegetables that are highly fibrous can do this. If this is what's happened, the extra will go away in a day or two. You'd feel a little - impacted - if this is what happened.

* you may have had a little more sodium than usual yesterday, and your body is holding on to more water. You'd feel a little puffy if this is what happened.

* your muscles are grasping on to extra water, so that they can be more efficient and help you with STS!!! You'd probably feel normal if this is what happened.

* some medications cause people to retain water

* you might have been dehydrated the last time you weighed in, and so the scale dropped a little more than it ought to have

I personally think that the scale is vastly overrated as a way to help people lose weight. A tape measure is much better. Even a tape measure can be problematic when you get close to your actual size, if you're building muscle. If your clothing doesn't feel tighter, don't worry about the scale ...

OTOH, I'm a calorie counter. I enter my food into a log, using FitDay (SparkPeople also has a tracker but I like FitDay). Even when travelling, I keep a running estimate of what I've eaten. This helps me watch trends pretty easily, and keeps the extra half pound from creeping up. It is not all that much work, maybe an extra ten minutes a day.

But seriously, Janie, please don't beat yourself up over your scale. Scales don't tell the real truth.

Last edited:
Hi Janie,
A couple of weeks ago i had something similar happen to me. In one day the scale showed a 3lb weight increase!!!! :eek: I weighed myself a couple of times to be sure. :p The next day it was down .8, and the day after it was up again .4. It was very annoying so i just did not weigh for the rest of the week otherwise i would obsess and drive myself crazy. When i did weigh again i was down again to what i was before the 3lb gain. Go figure. I think Shadowpup gave some really good reasons for this. I think when i eat too much salty stuff i really retain water.
I know it can be very frustrating to see those numbers on the scale. If you are eating right and excercising then it's probably due to one of the reasons Shadowpup mentioned.

So today was the perfect weather day in Boulder, you know the kind of day when you don't notice the air because it is neither hot or cold? So I took a slow leisurely walk this morning on a level firm surface, just to be outside and enjoy the day. Then this evening I taught my Pilates Class followed by a new class I am teaching called Total Tone. We went heavy on legs followed by core & Stretch. I also walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a good clip between classes.

Gosh I still haven't got on the diet although I committed to last month!:eek::eek: Going to start tomorrow!:eek::eek:I have to drink some wine tonight then, huh Girls.

Hope you feel better Shadow pup. There have been several nasty bugs flying around here this winter too.

Elle great job on the weight loss! Must feel good.

Janey Hang in there I think Shadow pup had some very realistic options of what may have happened...

Shoegal How fun to mix things up with premixes! I love the variety that Cathe's videos offer with those premixes. I am still trying to nail the HIS routine down. I know I will dig it once I get it!

Ironlady, I am sorry to hear about your father. I know how tough those decisions can be for family. I am glad you have friends you can de-stress with, it can be hard to remember to gather support for ourselves at these difficult times. As far as STS I still haven't received my check:(:(

Booboo that was the best thing about skiing is that it didn't even really seem like 'working' out and yet it is a really great workout! My triceps were killing me. It is a surprising amount of upper body work especially on those climbs and my triceps were still sore from GS Chest & Triceps from thursday! LOL! I wish I could burn that kinda cal at Barnes & Nobles too! Since I seem to be there quite often~

Another MIA reporting in. I've managed to come down with some kind of a stomach/intestinal virus. Sunday, all I could do was sleep. Yesterday, I only took one 3-hour nap, and managed to eat 3 meals. The yucky snow and cold has not helped much that is for sure. My golden still needs to be walked and that has pretty much been my exercise for the past couple of days. On the other hand, my golden has pretty much stuck by my side waiting patiently for his mommy to feel 100 percent.

Today, I'm not at 100 percent but I am feeling much better and contemplating S&H triceps and biceps later on. I'm just tired of doing nothing, dog-gone-it!

Janie: I tend to agree with Shadowpup. No way you gained 2 pounds overnight. And we all know that you are just awesome--hang in there, those scales eventually will come around to a lower number.

~Michelle

Good morning everyone,

Shadowpup, Your wisdom is already taking effect on me. You have spent a lot of time showing why I might have gained weight. You are absolutely right! It is impossible for me to gain weight when I didn't eat that much and exercised nearly an hour the day before. Thank you for taking the time to show me this. In the back of my mind I knew this, but it was so frustrating for me that it got buried in there some where. I'm not going to use the scale for awhile. Maybe once a week, or even once a month. I'm also counting my calories from now on. I don't like to guess anymore. My guessing might come close, but I like to be more accurate.

Michelle, Oh, I hope you feel better soon. The flu is sure going around everyone I know. Yuck! Please take care of yourself. Where you able to do S&H Triceps and Biceps?

Laura, Sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday in Boulder. Love those days myself when the weather is nice.

Elle_p, So glad you understood how I felt about gaining weight. I guess I panicked. I'm OK now. I appreciate all the kind words I got from you and my fellow forum pals.

Thanks everyone for helping me through my little/brief mishap.

Today is Power Max, and looking forward to it.

Janie

Last edited:
Check in Tuesday 3/3/09

Hello Girls:

Good to see everyone on the check in - and making an effort to stay healthy.

For my part: Last night I did IMAX - I look at Cathe in that workout and just marvel. She is in super fantastic shape. I want that for me. Too bad this Italian sandwich I had for lunch will surely prevent that from happening. Anyway - when we come to the last interval and we do all those air jacks and tuck jumps - the participants in the back are all over the place - I was thinking - that's me. I was a little lethargic going into it - but knew I could do it all if I pushed myself - I did - I was rather satisfied.

Afterwards, I watched the Bachelor Finale. Was disgusted that I was riveted by such nasty TV. I taped it and then sped past the 2 girls meeting his son and his family - yeah, yeah, yeah - and onto the conclusion and the after final rose show. What a smuck!!! Total jerk doesn't know what he wants. I can't think that any woman would want him now after dumping the one he chose on tv. Why didn't he dump her a couple of months later like every other bachelor? That is standard procedure for this show. I can't help but think I wasted part of my life watching this and I can't get it back again.

Janie - do not weigh yourself more than once a week - standard rule. Believe me I know!!! I've beaten myself up after an impossible overnight weight gain too. Rely on what the scale says on one day a week and make adjustments accordingly. Good to see you regroup and continue on.

Laura - love your outdoor activities - I have never been skiing. I don't know if I ever will at this point but you make me all envious. The closest I have come is snowshoeing. Definitely have some wine before starting the new diet!!!!

Notice to everyone: stop being sick!! What is going on out there? Hope everyone gets well soon. I really do. Sometimes I think it would be great to take a sick day and stay home but I'd rather be healthy when I do that.
No fun to be sick - plus I wouldn't work out - and I hate not getting my workout in.

Ironlady: Hope things improve with your Dad. It is just the way things go I guess - I know of so many people dealing with their aging parents and it can be overwhelming. Hang in there - keep your chin up.

Hope everybody enjoys the rest of their day. I will be doing some GS workout this evening - the chest one I think. I want total body but couldn't think of something in that area that I haven't done a million times. So I was going to settle for the splits. Anybody have a suggestion?

Shoe report: pants are too short to wear heels today - otherwise I'd be wearing floods and I didn't want to do that. So unfortunately I have reported on these flats before. Turns out I actually have to wear my shoes more than once. Must mean that I need more shoes!!! :D

Check-in number 2 today. I am happy to report that I got through S&H Triceps and Biceps. I wasn't 100 percent, but I got it done--yeah! I now feel like I really am on the road to feeling better. That means back to work tomorrow.

Shoegal: wow, you got all the way through IMAX including the air jacks and tucks. High 5! I get to that last interval and I'm happy to do plyo jacks--good for you.

Ironlady: hang in there with your dad. Remember to make time for yourself.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
~michelle

Good Evening Everyone,

So I taught pilates this morning, I probably burnt @ 230 cals there, that's kind of the standard burn for a class. I went for 1 hour walk with a friend, in slushy snow that is melting, which feels similar to walking in sand. I wore my heart rate monitor and burnt 638 cals. Which seemed high but I think it because the movement is so inefficient. I read a thread on here once that said you actually burn more calories with speed walking than with jogging because the movement so more inefficient, so that must be it. Than I came home and did GS Back, Shoulder, Biceps.

I did better on my diet today. I had a luna bar this morning with 2 pieces of bacon:eek:. Than for lunch I had a 2 egg stir fry with 2 stalks asparagus, 1/4 cup broccoli, tomato slices, onion and 1/2 small avocado. After my walk I had 1 cup of vanilla yogurt. So I measured everything and entered it into Fitday so that all comes to 936 calories so far. Since I exercised so much today I am shooting for 1700 calories so that is 764 left for dinner.....Unfortunately my husband just called and wants me to meet him and the girls in town for dinner!:(:( I hope I don't blow it!!! It is really hard eating out!

Hope people are on the mend!

There's life in her! At least, that's what DH is saying, because today I managed to walk all the way down to the barn, and then back, for the first time in a week. With a longish rest in the middle, but that's a whole ten minutes of walking outdoors, and no collapse afterwards.

I am so proud. :rolleyes:

I am an absolutely rotten patient, sneaking in to my home office to work whenever I can get away with it ... and today, I managed a whole two hours of productivity. Not consecutive hours, but actual work got done. Woo hoo??? :eek:

Anyway, this time for sure, I'm on the mend.

Michelle, I'm glad you're also feeling better!

Janie, you're smart to stick to the once a week on the scale, or even once a month. You'll get there! The calorie counting helped me, once I got over having to do it. Just make sure you eat enough, too, 'cause it's as hard to go too far under as it is to go too far over. Are you trying Cathe's Nutrition package? I was curious about that, but was already used to FitDay, and then there is the SparkPeople nutrition calculator.

Laura, ShoeGal, thank goodness there are a few of us turning in solid workouts! And Janie, you are in that category too.

Elle, congrats! And nice to see your posting.

Hi to everyone else ... I've just hit the wall again and am going to take, yes, another nap :mad:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Just a quick late night post to let you know i did Muscle Endurance tonight.

Shadowpup & Michelle: Hope you are back up and at it ASAP. Sorry you have both been feeling under the weather.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow everyone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.