Low Carbers & Friends - January 2012

Shadow

Cathlete
Not that any of us are going to rush to get here New Year's Day ;) but just in case.... :p!

Happy New Year, everyone :D! I look forward to another year of friendship with all of you :cool:!

Hey there everyone! Hope you all had a great and wonderful Holiday. I could use more time off, but no more holiday stuff, that is for sure. As usual, my week "off" was not too restful as I was busy putting in cabinets and a counter top in my sewing/workout room. This did mean no workouts for me since my room was a disaster area. I finally got a workout in this morning (this weekend was just pure laziness/exhaustion type, at least that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Talk to you later.

Rhea - I think you MORE than deserved a quiet weekend after all the hard labor you put in during your supposed vacation :eek:! 'Course, we knew you wouldn't be able to just kick back and enjoy that week ;).

Hi everyone,

well, here we go into 2012. I am having a slow start. I did exercise and pulled out STS, did the first workout today. Not sure if I'll do the whole thing. 2 times now I have hurt my neck on these new workouts. The last time it has been very stiff with lots of pain. I don't know what is doing it, but it happened after the turbo barre workout, not right away, but during the night it gets bad. I do think it could possibly be those situps where the elbow is on the floor still.

We had a tragedy on Dec 30. My cat was killed, his head got pinned under the garage door. It was partially opened, DH went to close it in the dark. DH was in the house using the garage door opener, the cat must have been crawling under it at the same time, the next morning the cat's head was sticking out from under it. It was so awful and I have been haunted by the image. I loved that cuddley guy so much, it was devistating. Finally, last night I talked to my mom about it for an hour, had a really good cry, and got a lot of my feelings out. It was a freak accident, but still a lot of guilt went with it. I do not think he was killed right away, so that haunts me too, that he was slowly suffering before he died. I can't really talk with DH too much about it because he blames himself and it is very hard on him.

Melinda - My heart breaks for you :(!!! It is so very hard to lose a beloved pet. They are such a huge part of our lives, there is truly a gaping hole when they leave us. (((HUGS)))!!! I am so sorry your neck is giving you grief, too :(! I know on the new series I have to be smart enough to modify the pushups once the first couple sets are over or my hernia suffers for weeks :rolleyes:. Hopefully when you go back to doing that series again, you can figure out what to modify so you don't suffer from it :).

Hi fit babes! Thank you for starting the January thread Lita, I look forward to another year of friendship with everyone here too!

Rhea, good to see you! How is your sewing room/workout room looking now? I don't think I'm going to be able to put cabinets in my workout room, simply because I hadn't even thought of doing that! :p (The room is going to be kinda small so I'll have to see what's feasible. Thanks for the idea!)

Melinda, I am so sorry for your loss!! :(:(:( Big, big hugs to you!! One of my co-workers had to put her 12 year old dog down and she is a wreck. Has guilt too. She plans to get another dog though and that will help with her pain. We all do the best we can with our pets, but accidents do happen. We blame ourselves for things and beat ourselves up far too much. I hope you and DH feel better soon!!

I'm trying to remember, there is one move in the new series that my low back doesn't like at all and so I modify it. And another friend of my tweaked her back somehow on the lower body tri-sets. I wonder what's up with all of that! :confused:

Been doing the Get Ripped workouts and they are tough, but short. whew!

Taking the kid to daycare tomorrow, he's been driving me nuts today!! :eek:

Hope you babes have a good weekend!!

Thanks, everyone. It's been a week now and I'm doing better, adjusting to life without the Kittie. I do still have 2 other cats and won't be getting another one, they are expensive to have, I only got the 3rd one since she was a stray and we decided to keep her. I think the big talk I had with my mom helped me to settle my mind a bit.

Tracy, I think it is the discs that are causing problems. We are using a lot of little muscles to stabilize, which is good to strengthen them, but it's probably finding weak spots in our body. I'm going to cut back using the new workouts a bit, just to recover. That is my theory.

so you also found a daycare you like for BB. I bet he'll be wiped out at the end of the day and that will be good!

Lita, this is amazing, we have sun today and it's suppose to get to 54, can't believe that combo all at one time here.

Rhea, even if you didn't get a rest during the break, it was a good change of pace to get your mind off work. I think you run circles around me.

Started STS (half heartedly). Doing one of those today. Don't know if I'll do the whole 3 months.

Oh, did you also see on Dr. Oz about taking Safflower oil to help burn belly fat. I bought some and am going to give it a try. My stomach is my worst part, the rest is ok, so I hope this works. You can go to his website and watch the show about it, it was on the home page last I saw

Melinda - I am so glad you're doing better. It takes time but... hopefully each day gets easier :). I think safflower oil is the oil in CLA. I've done that off and on in the past. Good luck with it!

Rhea - I'm with Melinda - you definitely run circles around me, too :eek:! Hopefully one day you'll kick back and actually enjoy that house you're working so hard on ;)!

Tracy - I think Melinda is right... The discs change everything. And I know for me, the PU are too advanced and when I try to do them all, I injure myself. I'm still doing the new series (with an upper body every other week that has more traditional & a lot heavier work). Maybe one day I'll actually get stronger when it comes to PU :rolleyes:. At least there's FAR less of them than was in STS :D :cool:!

Melinda -so sorry to hear about kitty! They do become so part of our lives. (((hugs))).

Tracy -I giggled when you said you had to take the kid to the bb! I wish I had one of those for my ADHD dog. He probably would be happier.

Lita- I'm sure you would run circles around me. I know you are just as bad as I am on "vacation".

Well, I've been sitting around the house for the past few days. Yeah, I got the lovely stomach bug that's been going around. Me the person that never gets sick. Oh and having an ulcer with the stomach stuff, not fun at all,especially if you can't keep the medicine down. Oh well, it is a very short lived virus at least. Better today but need more energy.

Rhea, sorry to hear about the stomach bug. I know lots of people who have been sick the past few weeks. Hope it passes quickly. DH had a friend that was a high energy dog and they are always gone. I think if it could do to the daycare, they wouldn't have the behavior issues they do, which is mostly it moving around all night. It probably sleeps during the day while they're at work/school.

Lita, for PU and those discs, I just don't do them. If the bottom is moving on the discs, then I stay up in plank, figure I'm at least working my core and still my arms. I think I can do about 10-12 full pushups, but that may have gone down at this point because I modify more now. STS is crazy with push ups. Also, just a note, Cathe is shorter and it may be easier for her to do them if she has shorter arms as well. Angle of joint and limbs has a big impact on being able to do certain exercises. funny is that we will usually excell in one thing, think it's easier than another person and vice versa.

(((Rhea)))! I hope you get well soon! That's a heck of a way to get some downtime :(! I may still keep busy but I certainly don't have the handyman skill and talent you do! If only I did!

Melinda - I've thought of doing that too. I don't do the soldier pushups and while I do the traveling ones, those to the side are really hard for me. I also go slower than Cathe - I do that with pretty much any move she does :p - but usually by the end of the workout I'm back to hands and knees. I'm so glad you're with me on the PU. I always feel so inadequate because I wimp out on them :eek:. I agree with you on height and limb length and all - it's so nice to hear someone else share that opinion :D!

Hey, I'll chime in with that Cathe doesn't weight as much as I do either! LOL I have to "push up" a lot more body weight.

Back to normal except I haven't started up on workouts yet. Not quite there yet. I'm aiming for Weds for the first early morning workout and I will probably only do one of the Firm Express 20 minute type.

Have a great rest of the week everyone!

Rhea - You are such a hoot :p! I know for sure she weighs less than I do, too - skinny, strong wench that she is ;)! Good luck on those AM workouts. I know they're tough on you. Heck, after all these years, they've been killer on me for the last year, too :confused:.

Yeah, those am workouts are tough, but after a week, I was getting used to the early morning rise. But then vacation came along and I blew it by sleeping later. Then I got sick, so I'm back at the beginning again. Oh well, what we do for a healthy body. I'm wanting to start up on P90X2, but that would probably kill me right now, so I had better start out a little more slowly. LOL

Well good heavens, Rhea, killing yourself is no way to begin the new year :eek:! Getting off to a slower start sounds MUCH better :p!

I used to be able to workout early when my kids were little, but I just feel like I have no energy to do it now. I can barely walk, ha! Seems if I don't exercise between 3-6pm it won't happen, unless I'm walking or biking.

BTW, more sun here and 50 degrees today. Going to try to walk with DH if he can get home a little early to get a walk in before it gets dark. Getting colder starting Thur, but winter has been great so far!

I'm sure enjoying the no snow and mild temperatures here too, but I know that it is too good to last. We really do need water, but it can come in the form of rain if it would like. How 'bout you Lita? Mild winter there too?

Melinda - I'm up in time (usually ;) ) for the morning workout - I just don't WANT to do it. One part says it's okay - I do 3 indoor workouts/week along w/ 5 days of walking (1 - 2 hours total each day) and 1 - 3 mornings of Stretch Max. But somehow I still feel guilty over not doing more indoor workouts :rolleyes:...

Rhea - Up and down here. We're at 51 today but are to get a cold front tonight with temps in the single digits to teens. Then nicer again starting Thursday ('cause the arctic front is going to go pester Melinda :p.) We've had numerous days w/ spring temps - but we've also had more snow so far this season than the last several years. Go figure :confused: :eek:!

Wed - rain here today and close to 50. Going to cool down tomorrow (thanks, Lita!)

think I'll do cardio today from the new series with the disc. I think my neck is better after starting STS, I think I snapped something back into place. Will watch what I do, though, don't want to get back into that agony I was going through.

Sorry, Melinda :p! Hopefully it won't last any longer for you than it will for us ;). Neck agony is never good :eek: - glad it's doing better :D!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.